Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

On 7/27/2023 at 7:48 PM, PrincessLuver said:

We are headed this way too.  Princess seems to be making too many changes that are taking from (devaluing) their loyal customers instead of adding enhancements for keep them happy and coming back.

Exactly.

The more Princess becomes similar to its competition, the more reason there is to book the competition.

Same large ships with the same onboard amenities going to the same overcrowded ports .

Why not just select the least expensive cruise if the experience is the same?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, annlee said:

kywildcatfanone - I don't know how to say this without sounding harsh, but you are exactly the customer no business wants. No business can be profitable with customers like you. Heck, in my business we do everything I can to make sure clients like you go elsewhere.

I don't take this as harsh. I view it more as my being savvy in my booking.  With that said, they make money off me regardless of what I use or do not use.  Even as frugal as I try to be, I still spend money I didn't plan to.  Everything is a money maker.  Some more than others.  If I buy a can of coke, that costs what ,$3.50 or so?  They paid less than .50 for it.  

Typically with our obc, we buy stuff in the gift shops.  

So, yes, they might make less from me, but every customer is profit.  Some might be 10% and some might be 80%.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Sadly, can see that coming.

Chair by the pool - $5

Elevator -$1

Buffet entry - $5

Movies under the stars -$5

Popcorn to go with it -$3

At least that would take of the chair hogs that throw towels on them and save them all day for nobody.

Personally I would pay more for the elevator......lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

So, Princess will be less inclined to give them loyalty benefits of real financial value than they might be to spend real money to encourage bigger spenders to return.

Fret not, I am sure you will get your wish. Doubtless, Princess has AI software crawling through the spending habits of all past passengers and will eventually be modifying incentives and rewards and offers and loyalty programs to do just that. Just hope you are lucky enough to make the cut and be included in the anointed cohort. If not, follow the advice of some in this thread, "Don't like it? Tough. Princess doesn't owe you anything. Find another cruise line".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

I honestly did not realize that the tips were not per voyage and distributed however they do.  I find  this then just paying the wages that Princess as a company should be paying. My guess is doing it this way gives them some tax and corporate advantages. I am therefore not that offended if people are opting out of that and tipping as they wish on the voyage.

@kathy49gets today’s gold star for astuteness and clear critical thinking!!🌟

• Like 6

9 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Not sure what the T&C for the packages was before the new announcement on 27/07, but now the T&C explicitly state "Packages and their parts may be changed or revoked at any time...."  Maybe look for this verbiage with your previous package.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 014636.jpeg

Found this:

Princess Plus & Princess Premier

Terms & Conditions

For bookings made prior to 16 December 2022 AND/OR sailings departing before 20 February 2023.

^Princess Plus fare is valid for the first two guests in the stateroom. Princess Plus is contingent on ship capacity and only available on select voyages. Princess Plus fare includes the cruise fare packaged with the Plus Beverage Package and Wi-Fi. Plus Beverage Package – applies to the first 2 guests in the stateroom when aged 18 years or over (21 years on some international voyages). For purchases made prior to 12 May 2022, this Beverage Package was previously named ‘Premier Beverage Package’. Exclusions apply, see the Beverage Packages & Drinks page for full details. Plus Beverage Package allows guests to enjoy up to 15 drinks a day up to the value of $16 per drink (including basic cocktails, glasses of wine, beers, spirits & coffee) + 25% off all bottles wine. Service of alcohol is always subject to Princess Cruises RSA Policies. Guests under legal drinking age will receive the Premier Coffee & Soda package and will not receive any refund or otherwise for that portion of the offer. Wi-Fi - unlimited MedallionNet package applies, which is limited to 1 device per passenger and up to 4 passengers in the stateroom. For full conditions including usage limitations, see the MedallionNet page. All internet usage subject to Princess Cruises’ standard policies, which may limit browsing of sites due to network security and bandwidth usage. Applications that use high bandwidth may be blocked and offerings subject to change with or without notice.

^^Princess Premier fare is valid for the first two guests in the stateroom. Princess Premier is contingent on ship capacity and only available on select voyages. Princess Premier fare includes the cruise fare packaged with the Premier Beverage Package, Four-Device Wi-Fi, Specialty Dining Credits, Photo Package and Princess Prizes credit. Premier Beverage Package – applies to the first 2 guests in the stateroom when aged 18 years or over (21 years on some international voyages). Exclusions apply, see the Beverage Packages & Drinks page for full details. Premier Beverage Package allows guests to enjoy up to 15 drinks a day up to the value of $22 per drink (including new specialty cocktails, glasses of wine, beers, premium spirits & coffee) + 25% off all bottles wine. Service of alcohol is always subject to Princess Cruises RSA Policies. Guests under legal drinking age will receive the Coffee & Soda package and will not receive any refund or otherwise for that portion of the offer. Wi-Fi - unlimited MedallionNet package applies, which is expanded to 4 devices per passenger and up to 4 passengers in the stateroom. For full conditions including usage limitations, see the MedallionNet page. All internet usage subject to Princess Cruises’ standard policies, which may limit browsing of sites due to network security and bandwidth usage. Applications that use high bandwidth may be blocked and offerings subject to change with or without notice.  Specialty Dining – applies to the first 2 guests in the stateroom. Guests receive 2 complimentary dinners for two in any of our onboard specialty restaurants. Restaurants vary by ship. A voucher will be delivered to your stateroom and is redeemable with the Maitre d’ at time of dining. Restaurant and reservation time will be assigned by Princess Cruises. The offer does not apply to special dining events or packages that take place in specialty restaurants. Beverages are not included and are available at an additional cost. Dining Crew Appreciations are included. Specialty dining voucher is non-transferable and is not redeemable for cash. Princess reserves the right to substitute for onboard spending money of equal value which will expire if not used by 10:00 PM on the last evening of the cruise. Photo Package – applies to the first 2 guests in the stateroom. Allows guests access via the MedallionClass App to all Digital Copies of photos taken onboard where they have been tagged via their Medallion device, plus 3 physical photo prints sized 8x10 which must be redeemed onboard at the Photo Gallery. Princess Prizes - At the close of each promotional period, Princess Cruises will make available the of winners per prize category. Limit: one play per 5 minutes and only while ship’s gambling mechanism is turned on. 

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Coke Zero in cans is available on Princess ships.

(But not included with any beverage package)

We got off Enchanted July 22 and had the old plus package. My wife often ordered Coke Zero in the different venues and was given the can along with a glass. We sail on Regal August 12th and have the old plus package. Curious to see how this is going to affect us. This coming Cruise will likely be our last Princess Cruise for some time. If you get the better cabins on princess with a package, the total cost is approaching those of Azamara and Oceania and we prefer those now to Princess.

• Like 3

I have tried to follow this thread to figure out how or if this change will effect us on our cruise in 54 days. And for this life of me I just can’t figure it out….  Can someone more informed than I help a sister out? 

We booked our cruise in January 2023 with Princess Plus and are well past final payment.  Will these changes effect us? 

Thank you in advance 

1 minute ago, Caligirl33 said:

I have tried to follow this thread to figure out how or if this change will effect us on our cruise in 54 days. And for this life of me I just can’t figure it out….  Can someone more informed than I help a sister out? 

We booked our cruise in January 2023 with Princess Plus and are well past final payment.  Will these changes effect us? 

Thank you in advance 

The way I understand it.....IF you booked it under the new $60 per person per day then yes you are covered.

• Like 2

Just now, Caligirl33 said:

Thank you in advance 

Since you booked after December 2022, you paid $60/pp pd for the Plus package.

All "New" benefits are included for you.

The only thing that impacts you is that you will only be able to visit Alfredo's twice during your voyage for free.

It sounds like you may not yet see these 'new' benefits on your Travel Summary as Princess has not yet updated it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, annlee said:

kywildcatfanone - I don't know how to say this without sounding harsh, but you are exactly the customer no business wants. No business can be profitable with customers like you. Heck, in my business we do everything I can to make sure clients like you go elsewhere.

Agree 100%. Cruisers like this strive to minimize the money spent with the cruise line. I don't see how bringing your own soda and water is worth the $50 to $100 you save. Cruise lines in Princess' category make their money on the packages and onboard spend and not the cruise fare, especially with the lower categories. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Since you booked after December 2022, you paid $60/pp pd for the Plus package.

All "New" benefits are included for you.

The only thing that impacts you is that you will only be able to visit Alfredo's twice during your voyage for free.

It sounds like you may not yet see these 'new' benefits on your Travel Summary as Princess has not yet updated it.

Thank you SO much!  I appreciate your answer

• Like 1

"including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas."

Seems to me that the art people and boutique sales people are in Onboard Revenue Areas no matter who their contract is with.

Since the Future Cruise   Consultants are now contracted out (not Princess employees) would they be considered to be in the “pool”

14 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Thanks so much for posting these!

The best thing about this menu has nothing to do with this thread. 😆

It's that I actually see some Pinot Grigios and Chardonnays in Vines that are either included in Plus or just a small upcharge! Much better than our last cruise.....now just so they actually have these available...

Edited by dreaminofcruisin
  • Like 2

So people can still book future cruises and "know" these venues will be included free.....until they get on board and find they are not.

Yup. Exactly. We have an upcoming 32 night cruise for which we have to make final payment 120 days in advance of sailing. We fear what changes they'll "suddenly" invoke post-final payment that would  materially change our cruise experience -- most notably, free laundry service. Ugh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

If you follow the conversation, the answer is they are not concerned about loyalty.  They have determined they do not have to be and that is their choice.

Customers can continue to buy their product and that is their choice.

While I do not like the changes, it's pretty clear that they don't care and instead are more interested in new cruisers who have no history of being able to cruise without packages and cruising being a value vacation.

It is what it is.

The key part of all that is "as a shareholder".  ANY company with a stock symbol cares more about their shareholders than their customers.  We can complain, suggest, makes posts, etc. and no changes will be made. You won't be listened to until you stop spending your money.  There's been a lot of back and forth here about the price of a pizza but I think for the most of us, that's missing the point.  It's a matter of feeling like you're being treated fairly and getting what you expected.  

• Like 10

"IF" was had booked standard - we didn't ...

App activation - 2@$15 = 30

Room service - 7@$5 = 35

Alfredos - ships that have it - 2 days/2 people over the 7 days = 60

Total - $125

CA - 7x16x2=$224

will reduce the CA to $100 to make up the difference. but still tip the cabin steward, Vines, and Crooners - but not room service, mdr

j/k

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobrxlex said:

Now that your booked you have no choice but to pay $30 for 2 people.  Good Job Princess

You do have a choice.  Either you can pay for pizza from Alfredos, or you can get free pizza from Slice.  Or, you can eat your fill of all the other free non-pizza food offerings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Agree 100%. Cruisers like this strive to minimize the money spent with the cruise line. I don't see how bringing your own soda and water is worth the $50 to $100 you save. Cruise lines in Princess' category make their money on the packages and onboard spend and not the cruise fare, especially with the lower categories. 

The non alcohol drink package is $30/day per person.  For a 7 day cruise that is $210 or for a couple $420.  Three packs of soda at a store near the port is $15. Coffee will cost me $80 last I checked. So $95 vs $420. And we used to get the coffee free with minibar trade in.  Ah, another benefit lost. I consider the savings worth the effort. Not to mention the limited options onboard.

And for clarity, just like everyone else, I pay what Princess charges for the cruise fare, tips, wifi, etc.

If I choose not to take ship excursions or pay  exorbitant prices for drinks, or pay food upcharges,  they currently are not requiring me to.  When it ceases to be optional, then I will vacation elsewhere.  They are headed there for sure.

Edited by kywildcatfanone
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, memoak said:

I made a reservation at my favorite local restaurant a month ago for a special occasion I have coming up next week. When I get to the restaurant and find that price of items has been increased should I throw a tantrum and insist on last months prices ?

Well no but you're not comparing eggs with eggs there. Firstly and quite importantly what restaurant do you go to and pay for the meal a year in advance…you don't!  At the time Princess took mine and hundreds of other peoples bookings they knew the state of the world and surely would have expected that items would go up. Perhaps they should have hiked the price up we all paid rather than a stealth money grab 10 months later? You also have the option to NOT visit that restaurant and go to one that offers cheaper prices. 2 weeks before my holiday I have no intention of changing anything and don't have the option to cancel when all other items have been put in place like transport, insurance etc. Its suck it up baby or pay the extra time for most of us. Of course princess realise this and are basically having a vast number of peoples pants down and doing the equivalent of an unwarranted prostate exam. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tiredandgrumpy said:

You also have the option to NOT visit that restaurant and go to one that offers cheaper prices.  

And you have the option on board to adjust what you do on your cruise so that you do not incur any of the additional charges,  They're discretionary, not compulsory.  So, in your words, they are letting you choose whether or not they give you a prostrate exam.  😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1