House Select drinks package question

bob&france

Ahoy all experienced Oceania cruisers, I am trying to understand the “at lunch and dinner” specifics of the house select option. ( never been on Oceania, but soon will be )

Are there specific hours they consider to be lunch and dinner times ?

Are there specific venues they consider eligible or ineligible?

Most often dining rooms are closed for lunch on port days leaving buffet or pool grill as eating options… will I be able to get a beer or glass of wine at these 2 venues whenever they are open, assuming I get food?

Often we like to head to buffet area at back of ship and sit outdoors for a pre dinner for a cheese plate and glass of wine before heading to dining room, will the house select cover that wine ?

And just on a whim…let’s say it’s 3:00 in the afternoon and we’re at the pool area and the grill is open….if I decide to grab a plate of fries and want a beer to quench my thirst…is the beer covered on the package?

Did anyone find it overly restrictive?

They are quite specific - "at lunch or dinner" means when seated in one of the restaurants and being served lunch or dinner.  Unfortunately it doesn't work if you are in one of the bars.  It would work at the Pool self service restaurant though but has to be lunch time.

I don't think 1500 is lunch time.  Perhaps that is stretching things too much?  Anyway why not get the full drinks package?  if you are on the "Simply More" programme you can upgrade from the wine etc at meals to the complete package for something like $30/pp/day.    Since a Bloody Mary costs about $18 PLUS 20% service each two drinks in one day and you are home free so to speak!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

They are quite specific - "at lunch or dinner" means when seated in one of the restaurants and being served lunch or dinner.  Unfortunately it doesn't work if you are in one of the bars.  It would work at the Pool self service restaurant though but has to be lunch time.

I don't think 1500 is lunch time.  Perhaps that is stretching things too much?  Anyway why not get the full drinks package?  if you are on the "Simply More" programme you can upgrade from the wine etc at meals to the complete package for something like $30/pp/day.    Since a Bloody Mary costs about $18 PLUS 20% service each two drinks in one day and you are home free so to speak!

Getting back after lunchtime 2:00 from an excursion, I was told you can have a "late lunch" at the pool. That does not count as Lunch? It apparently is the only place open to eat between Breakfast and Dinner.

13 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Getting back after lunchtime 2:00 from an excursion, I was told you can have a "late lunch" at the pool. That does not count as Lunch? It apparently is the only place open to eat between Breakfast and Dinner.

I just looked at the opening hours for Waves Grill (Pool grill).  They are 0700/1100, 1130/1600, 1830/2100.  So since they do say "Lunch 1130/1600" I think you will be in luck!  Santé.

18 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

they serve  all sorts there  so should still be Lunch

always room service & Oceania  has a good selection

I can give you our experience with the House Select package .....we were able to order beer or wine when we were at the Terrace cafe during the time it was open for lunch and dinner.  We were able to order beer or wine at Waves Grill during the entire time it was open for lunch - ofter would go over from the pool mid/late afternoon and grab some salad and enjoy a glass of wine while sitting at one of the tables at Waves Grill.  We were able to order beer or wine from room service when ordering food for lunch or dinner.  Also ordered beer or wine at the GDR and specialty restaurants when enjoying lunch or dinner - would often order a glass of port at the end of the meal and take with us to enjoy around the ship.  The basic rule is you can not receive your beer or wine from any bar (Horizon, Martinis, Waves bar - not to be confused with Waves Grill).  Hope this helps.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have wine waiting for our table to be ready in the GDR in the lounge outside the GDR. SO we would have to pay for the wine? We would have to wait till we seated for dinner to order our wine?

3 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

We have wine waiting for our table to be ready in the GDR in the lounge outside the GDR. SO we would have to pay for the wine? We would have to wait till we seated for dinner to order our wine?

No idea - never tried that....I would ask the bartender

27 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

How long do you normally wait for a table  other than being in the line ?

We have never had to wait  more than a few minutes for  a table    could you not wait until seated??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

How long do you normally wait for a table  other than being in the line ?

We have never had to wait  more than a few minutes for  a table    could you not wait until seated??

One of the luxury of an O cruise over the past 14 years is going for dinner at 7:15 informaning the host or hostess we would like a 2 top by the window and most of the Times it is a 15 to 20 minutes wait. SO we order a bottle of wine in the lounge have few snacks  pour a glass of wine and by that time they come over and inform us our table is ready 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

One of the luxury of an O cruise over the past 14 years is going for dinner at 7:15 informaning the host or hostess we would like a 2 top by the window and most of the Times it is a 15 to 20 minutes wait. SO we order a bottle of wine in the lounge have few snacks  pour a glass of wine and by that time they come over and inform us our table is ready 

Bottles of wine are not part of any package, so you will be able to purchase a bottle of wine at the lounge and enjoy with snacks and then take into dinner.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, basor said:

Bottles of wine are not part of any package, so you will be able to purchase a bottle of wine at the lounge and enjoy with snacks and then take into dinner.

So what you're saying is that I can't order a drink in the lounge as part of the drink package is that how the package works? I would  have to pay for that drink 

43 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

So what you're saying is that I can't order a drink in the lounge as part of the drink package is that how the package works? I would  have to pay for that drink 

At lunch and dinner in dining venues only.  The lounge isn't a dining venue.

It isn't complicated.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

If you have the Prestige package you can order any drink (some exceptions)

If you have the  House select  (SM)   it is  WITH  lunch & dinner

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

At lunch and dinner in dining venues only.  The lounge isn't a dining venue.

It isn't complicated.

Apparently, it still is just a bit complicated:

Perhaps you forgot that the basic program works for room service anytime the bars are open. Here’s what’s on the ship’s tv today:

9CA525A2-D64E-4996-8ED6-ADC8BC3014A3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps you forgot that the basic program works for room service anytime the bars are open. Here’s what’s on the ship’s tv today:

Quit standing on your head. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

He asked about lounges.  Also, your answer is upside down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Anytime bars are open? Seems like it says during normal restaurant operating hours. 

• Like 1