Eliminating Butlers - Spoke to Celebrity. Here is conversation.

LMHSRN

20 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

We still sail on RCCL as D+, but not on the mega ships anymore after our last 2 Allure sailings. I wish RCCL would do what X did by carving out a portion of the MDR to create a Coastal Kitchen on the smaller ships.  Now we purchase the Unlimited Dining Package when CK is not available.  RCCL Grand and Owner's suites are still our favorite cabins of all the cruise lines.   

On smaller RCCL ships, I think you can have breakfast and lunch in a specialty restaurant set aside for suite customers in Chops on the non-CK ships.  But yes, dinner in the MDR, Windjammer or specialties.  

12 hours ago, hcat said:

Comment is a bit harsh!

Not harsh at all.  X is pushing the limits of what they can charge extra for after a cruise is booked...

You purchase the drink package and then X increases the prices of the drinks to where they are not covered.  Room service.  Now a charge with reduced menus.  Beef/food quality no longer the same.  Etc.  etc.

Now I fully understand them charging/changing for things out of their control.  But these are just revenue enhancements.

I feel like I purchased an Iphone and got a Samsung instead.  Or purchased a Celebrity cruise and got a Royal cruise instead.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I feel like I purchased an Iphone and got a Samsung instead.  Or purchased a Celebrity cruise and got a Royal cruise instead.

I get the point you are trying to make, but there are many Samsung phones that are better than iPhones. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, hcat said:

We agree 100%  X was not fair,  many posts state there's not much that can be done to reverse course now.. esp if cancelling incurs  financial loss  Reality is that some  folks can only change course  in the future and hopefully deal with a more reliable cruise line. 

Comment is a bit harsh!

I agree - the harsh bit of mamafejs post was inferring that posters who defend Celebrity in any way, are themselves the types of people “who bait and switch customers in their professional lives”. No need for that comment at all. And before I get lambasted I am not supporting Celebrity in any way, just pointing out that peoples own morals shouldn’t be brought into question here. As hcat said, harsh.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Huh? Now this statement I do not understand.

Celebrity used to have a loyal fan base like Apple.  People who would just automatically purchase their next cruise while onboard.  Apple and Celebrity were a step above.  Apple still is.  Celebrity has been Royalfied.  Celebrity's fan base has been chased away by the cuts.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

My favorite line now (Regent) is currently involved in a problem of major port cancellations in the west coast of Mexico on its newest ship (the Grandeur). The reason for this is that this ship was designed to hook up to the ports electrical service instead of using its engines to generate electricity in ports. An environmental thing. The cancelled ports (according to Regent’s admission in emails to booked guests) was that the cancelled ports did not have electrical hook up capability. This mess doesn’t affect our Regent booking, so we will go. But if Regent’s handling of this doesn’t satisfy me, it will be goodbye to them too!

Silversea - owned by RCI - had a pre final  payment itinerary change and offered this:

"The safety and security of our guests and crew are always our top priority. Due to significant geopolitical unrest in Myanmar, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our calls in Yangon. We will now visit Hambantota and Trincomalee in Sri Lanka and enjoy an extended guest experience in Phuket, Thailand. A stop in New Mangalore, India has also been eliminated from the itinerary due to restrictions by local authorities.

We know this information is unexpected, and we appreciate your understanding. Please know these adjustments are intended to safeguard your well-being, and you should feel confident that we are wholly committed to protecting your expected guest experience during this much-anticipated adventure through Asia. If you choose to stay booked on this voyage, you will receive a 15% future cruise credit issued 60 days prior to sailing and a shipboard credit of 500 USD per suite to enjoy while on board."

I am interested to see how Regent responds.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

I agree - the harsh bit of mamafejs post was inferring that posters who defend Celebrity in any way, are themselves the types of people “who bait and switch customers in their professional lives”. No need for that comment at all. And before I get lambasted I am not supporting Celebrity in any way, just pointing out that peoples own morals shouldn’t be brought into question here. As hcat said, harsh.

Not in any way.  Supporting Celebrity for providing a different product than the one that was booked.  I think that this is a below board business practice.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

Celebrity used to have a loyal fan base like Apple.  People who would just automatically purchase their next cruise while onboard.  Apple and Celebrity were a step above.  Apple still is.  Celebrity has been Royalfied.

How many users of Apple products leave the Apple ecosystem? How many cruisers who have been loyal to Celebrity are looking at other options? 

4 minutes ago, billc23 said:

How many users of Apple products leave the Apple ecosystem? How many cruisers who have been loyal to Celebrity are looking at other options? 

Lately there are a bunch of Celebrity cruisers who have either left or are looking at other options.

Apple is Apple.  They are consistently good.  They are able to charge a premium for their product.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Doing a princess cruise next month as was half the price of Celebrity same week and itinerary.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

On smaller RCCL ships, I think you can have breakfast and lunch in a specialty restaurant set aside for suite customers in Chops on the non-CK ships.  But yes, dinner in the MDR, Windjammer or specialties.  

There is only a suite breakfast in Chops, but no suite lunch.  Long ago on the Voyager class, suite guests could take their buffet lunch meal and sit in Giovanni's since it is located outside of the Windjammer. There have been so many complaints about the MDR food and MTD wait times, that we purchased the UDP.  This upcoming cruise is itinerary driven since we're sailing the Artic Circle; otherwise, we wouldn't have booked JOS. 

27 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Not in any way.  Supporting Celebrity for providing a different product than the one that was booked.  I think that this is a below board business practice.

I didn’t say otherwise so am unclear what point you are making but let me make my point doubly clear, I am not defending Celebrity as you should see in my post above.

4 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

I didn’t say otherwise so am unclear what point you are making but let me make my point doubly clear, I am not defending Celebrity as you should see in my post above.

My point was that the poster was referring to people who defended Celebrity for changing the product after purchase.  The poster questioned whether these same people did this in THEIR business practices.

I think it is a fair question.

• Like 1

Batsabode mentioned HAL's Rotterdam, Neptune suite and Orange. We were on a 2 week sailing last August. The service was good in the Neptune suite (but not better than most that we've experienced), however, the food in Orange is mediocre- we never looked forward to it. The only advantage to Orange is that it's quiet and small with good service compared to the MDR. Crowds and lines on the Rotterdam were overwhelming. The experience actually soured us on future cruises with any line. Specialty restaurants were just OK.

I'm sorry to hear that the food on Luminae has gone downhill (?) along with increasing prices. I want room service breakfast at times but other than that, we don't utilize butlers and agree with some posters that they can be annoying with constant knocking on the door- even once after putting out a do not disturb sign! On our two Luminae sailings we felt that the food was wonderful, consistent and with perfect timing and service.

Crystal's food is getting good reviews (it was excellent in the past).. don't know how the pricing compares with Luminae sky suites. The lowest category Crystal rooms are tiny (215 sq ft) but have been renovated. Crystal ships are never crowded and have good evening entertainment. We wouldn't use Regent's included excursions and some Crystal cruisers have reported mediocre food on Seabourn. Seeing some mixed reviews on Oceania which we've never tried.. Curious if any Luminae passengers have tried the "new" Crystal.

2 hours ago, billc23 said:

Silversea - owned by RCI - had a pre final  payment itinerary change and offered this:

"The safety and security of our guests and crew are always our top priority. Due to significant geopolitical unrest in Myanmar, we have made the difficult decision to cancel our calls in Yangon. We will now visit Hambantota and Trincomalee in Sri Lanka and enjoy an extended guest experience in Phuket, Thailand. A stop in New Mangalore, India has also been eliminated from the itinerary due to restrictions by local authorities.

We know this information is unexpected, and we appreciate your understanding. Please know these adjustments are intended to safeguard your well-being, and you should feel confident that we are wholly committed to protecting your expected guest experience during this much-anticipated adventure through Asia. If you choose to stay booked on this voyage, you will receive a 15% future cruise credit issued 60 days prior to sailing and a shipboard credit of 500 USD per suite to enjoy while on board."

I am interested to see how Regent responds.

There's a thread on this topic on the Regent board. I think the primary problem was that the changes happened only a month or so prior to sailing, and most of the cancelled ports were replaced by additional sea days.  If memory serves, Regent first offered OBC then sweetened the deal with a reasonable sized FCC (I don't know the size, but people seemed generally ok in the end).

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Doing a princess cruise next month as was half the price of Celebrity same week and itinerary.

Great deal! Have a wonderful cruise. I have always enjoyed my cruises on Princess and need to look into booking with them soon.. 

2 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Great deal! Have a wonderful cruise. I have always enjoyed my cruises on Princess and need to look into booking with them soon.. 

Thank you. I was on the Sky Princess this past January booked an inside but was upgraded to a balcony. This cruise is 10 day Panama Costa Rica on Ruby Princess. Love their aft pools.

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Not harsh at all.  X is pushing the limits of what they can charge extra for after a cruise is booked...

You purchase the drink package and then X increases the prices of the drinks to where they are not covered.  Room service.  Now a charge with reduced menus.  Beef/food quality no longer the same.  Etc.  etc.

Now I fully understand them charging/changing for things out of their control.  But these are just revenue enhancements.

To me it is harsh to allege that other cruisers one has never met,  are people who engage in bait and switch practices in their  professional dealings.. Harsh generalization  with no supportive  evidence !   

Here's, the comment that was made that I find harsh!

'..., I can't help but wonder if the folks who are supportive/defensive of X not giving people what they paid for, whether it's included Room Service, dedicated Butlers, second lobster tails, or whatever, are folks who bait and switch customers in their professional lives. The practice certainly is not exclusive to cruise lines.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hcat said:

To me it is harsh to allege that other cruisers one has never met,  are people who engage in bait and switch practices in their  professional dealings.. Harsh generalization  with no supportive  evidence !   

'..., I can't help but wonder if the folks who are supportive/defensive of X not giving people what they paid for, whether it's included Room Service, dedicated Butlers, second lobster tails, or whatever, are folks who bait and switch customers in their professional lives. The practice certainly is not exclusive to cruise lines.

It is a fair question IMHO.

Do those that support bait and switch also engage in bait and switch in their personal businesses?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hcat said:

I agree.  It was a rude and unnecessary comment.  I'm glad to see it was removed.

Edited by Team Stag
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Thanks for understanding my point..if folks are  angry  at X,  why take it out on others?

I will leave this thread to those who  want to vent.  I am sure we will have some future issues with x...that need to be aired.

We have SAMSUNG phones, tablets laptops, etc.. No issues other than they don't play well with the X app..but not a big problem for us!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flowery said:

Batsabode mentioned HAL's Rotterdam, Neptune suite and Orange. We were on a 2 week sailing last August. The service was good in the Neptune suite (but not better than most that we've experienced), however, the food in Orange is mediocre- we never looked forward to it. The only advantage to Orange is that it's quiet and small with good service compared to the MDR. Crowds and lines on the Rotterdam were overwhelming. The experience actually soured us on future cruises with any line. Specialty restaurants were just OK.

I'm sorry to hear that the food on Luminae has gone downhill (?) along with increasing prices. I want room service breakfast at times but other than that, we don't utilize butlers and agree with some posters that they can be annoying with constant knocking on the door- even once after putting out a do not disturb sign! On our two Luminae sailings we felt that the food was wonderful, consistent and with perfect timing and service.

Crystal's food is getting good reviews (it was excellent in the past).. don't know how the pricing compares with Luminae sky suites. The lowest category Crystal rooms are tiny (215 sq ft) but have been renovated. Crystal ships are never crowded and have good evening entertainment. We wouldn't use Regent's included excursions and some Crystal cruisers have reported mediocre food on Seabourn. Seeing some mixed reviews on Oceania which we've never tried.. Curious if any Luminae passengers have tried the "new" Crystal.

I'm not sure that most would agree here that the Luminae experience, service and food generally have gone downhill.  We had a wonderful (the usual) experience on our last Equinox sailing earlier this year.  And we have dined in Luminae across many ships and did not notice much difference this year.  Most of the downhill discussion here has focused on the MDR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I'm not sure that most would agree here that the Luminae experience, service and food generally have gone downhill.  We had a wonderful (the usual) experience on our last Equinox sailing earlier this year.  And we have dined in Luminae across many ships and did not notice much difference this year.  Most of the downhill discussion here has focused on the MDR.

My personal experience this year would differ with your assessment. For me there was a drop off in service (for sure) and in food quality (somewhat) between Luminae in March on Millennium and Luminae in August on Summit. Admittedly that's a small sample size, but that's all I have.