UK/Miami flights - booked through Oceania

Harters

18 hours ago, Harters said:

Just wondering if O generally uses a particular airline for flights between Miami and the UK.

TIA

Don’t do it, book your own!

Honestly so easy and you control your journey!

• Like 5

I'm curious about who they are using. Reason is the difference between the price for with or without air is comparatively small. Certainly quite a bit less than I've been able to suss out online from known carriers  on the route.

O's price difference is about £1000 (probably plus an internal flight MAN - LHR). Whereas BA's price for MAN - LHR - MIA is over £2000. 

2 hours ago, Harters said:

I'm curious about who they are using. Reason is the difference between the price for with or without air is comparatively small. Certainly quite a bit less than I've been able to suss out online from known carriers  on the route.

O's price difference is about £1000 (probably plus an internal flight MAN - LHR). Whereas BA's price for MAN - LHR - MIA is over £2000. 

Find the worst flight connection wise you can on SkyScanner and thats probably close to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is that booked through O, hutner. 

As far as I can work out, the carriers with the most direct flights are Virgin Atlantic, American, British Airways and Aer Lingus. So, unless O is using one of them, their route must be less straightforward

It was more a general enquiry, Joe, rather than specific. I'd just thought there would be contributors here who have booked UK/Miami flights through O. If there was a pattern of using a particular carrier, I'd wanted to look at its website to see how direct, or not, a flight might be. 

5 hours ago, Harters said:

It was more a general enquiry, Joe, rather than specific. I'd just thought there would be contributors here who have booked UK/Miami flights through O. If there was a pattern of using a particular carrier, I'd wanted to look at its website to see how direct, or not, a flight might be. 

It does not matter what you find onthe airline site  O has contract with some carriers & bulk rate tickets

I would submit the flight you want to Oceania & see if they can get them  then pay the deviation fee

But compare to what you can get on your own  also

JMO

On 7/30/2023 at 6:26 AM, Harters said:

Not sure where you are getting that 2000 pound number.  I can see flights from MAN to MIA for about 320 pounds one-way, on TAP via Lisbon.  And lots of options around 500 round-trip.

But then, without dates, who can say.

Edited by Critically Cruising

24 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

Not sure where you are getting that 2000 pound number.

BA's website.  With similar on Virgin Atlantic. 

My concern , which led me to start the thread, is that O's flight arrangements might be something daft, such as via Lisbon as you mention. If I knew that, or similar,  was likely to be their route, I could immediately dismiss it and not bother thinking of O to arrange flights.

Edited by Harters

57 minutes ago, Harters said:

BA's website.  With similar on Virgin Atlantic. 

Which limits you tremendously.

Try ITA Matrix.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

57 minutes ago, Harters said:

My concern , which led me to start the thread, is that O's flight arrangements might be something daft, such as via Lisbon as you mention. If I knew that, or similar,  was likely to be their route, I could immediately dismiss it and not bother thinking of O to arrange flights.

So, a one-connection itinerary via LHR is fine, but a one-connection itinerary via Lisbon (MAN-LIS-MIA) is not acceptable?  Even though LIS is a far more convenient airport for connections than LHR.  And at a far more attractive price.  Not sure I understand that logic.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Critically Cruising said:

So, a one-connection itinerary via LHR is fine, but a one-connection itinerary via Lisbon (MAN-LIS-MIA) is not acceptable? 

Correct. You've clearly not looked at the timings of going via Lisbon as opposed to going via London (or direct to America and then an internal flight there, with Virgin). TAP's website gives that as a nonsensical 32 hour journey, including the stopover. If that's the sort of routing that O might include to achieve its low price then it is absolutely not acceptable. 

But, of course, we don't know if that's the case. I'm grateful for everyone's comments here, even though no-one has booked a UK/Miami flight through O, so there's no answer to my original query. I think I'll just assume that ToxM will have been right about the worst routing (certainly that's been my  experience with O for European flights) and, as and when, I'll search for flights myself, or get my TA to have a look. 

4 hours ago, Critically Cruising said:

Not sure where you are getting that 2000 pound number.  I can see flights from MAN to MIA for about 320 pounds one-way, on TAP via Lisbon.  And lots of options around 500 round-trip.

But then, without dates, who can say.

BEWARE TAP at all costs no matter how much of a deal it seems. 

If you’re within the 270 day window, you can ask your TA to work on getting the bookings from Oceania. No costs to ask. Imagine that, going straight to the source with actual dates to get actual up to date information. 

• Like 1

Oceania will use the cheapest flight which will probably be not so good flight times. I asked O about the flight details to see if it’s a direct flights they were long waits between flights and not so good flight times.we cancelled the free airfare and got a discount on cruise only  and booked our own.

If it’s Heathrow your flying from there are plenty airlines who fly direct and you can choose your flight times. I travel from Manchester so it’s a internal flight to Heathrow. It maybe a more expensive for your flight  but you have control and more choice .I would recommend going at least one day earlier.

26 minutes ago, English muffin said:

Oceania will use the cheapest flight which will probably be not so good flight times.

Yes, that was our experience with a cruise we booked, but had to cancel, last year. It was a return flight from Rome which O insisted on routing via Frankfurt, with a long delay there and would not consider  a quick, direct flight from Rome to Manchester. It was that experience that prompted my original unanswered question.

By the by, the cheapest arrangement I could find to Miami was via Dublin with Aer Lingus but our travel agent has got us BA flights from Heathrow at a very reasonable price. So, we'll have the two nights in Miami pre-cruise as we'd planned but we will stay overnight at Heathrow, as otherwise it would be a very early start from Manc (with no room for delays to catch the Miami flight). We've stayed at the Sofitel at T5 before and it's fine

Youre probably right, LHT.  I'd sort of assumed that there were bound to be contributors whose flights between Miami and the UK had been booked through O, but seemingly no-one. Cruise Critic lets me down for the first time  😀

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Harters said:

Youre probably right, LHT.  I'd sort of assumed that there were bound to be contributors whose flights between Miami and the UK had been booked through O, but seemingly no-one. Cruise Critic lets me down for the first time  😀

Your "unanswered question" was answered in post #10.  Then it was answered again in post #20.  And as mentioned, regardless of what has happened in the past, you can't project that to what might happen in the future.  You want an answer that doesn't exist.

11 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

You want an answer that doesn't exist.

Thanks for your insight. That had never occurred to me. 

Edited by Harters

Just for information flightsfrom.com gives flight routings from all airports.
It’s very useful.

Flying long haul from  the UK the airport taxes are very high so if you break your journey in Europe ie. Amsterdam, Paris or Frankfurt for instance you only pay UK to Europe tax so the total taxes, and therefore overall price, is cheaper.

From the NW of England our choices of nonstop are non-existent. If you fly via Dublin you can go through US immigration there so that’s a bonus. In saying that we flew Heathrow - Miami BA in February and it was fine. We arranged it ourselves because we had air miles to use.

We have only used Oceania flights once … LHR to Hong Kong…. we arrived @ 4pm for a 10pm sailing the same night!! Mind you that was back in 2016 when flights were a bit more reliable. If I had know then what I know now I would never have taken such a risk but then it was an O flight so I’m sure they would have sorted us out!!