Help! AARP gift card

love to cruz

56 minutes ago, love to cruz said:

We just learned of the AARP gift card yesterday. Is the card legit? Has anyone used the card?

We’ve used it for many cruises and it definitely is legit.

You should be buying it on the aarp.org website and under rewards program. 

5 minutes ago, awatt said:

Can these be redeemed with TA?

Yes, it was very easy with our TA. I just forwarded the e-mail that I got from AARP with the card info and her billing department processed them.
Zero hassle and I got $2500 worth of gift cards for $2250. It’s a heck of a deal!

• Like 1

Just a note.  Yes they are legit.

However, one word of caution.

YES, keep the cards and the paperwork.

These gift cares are fine if you know, pretty certainly, that you will be cruising in the foreseeable future, and using up the cards.

Cancellation,  or any changes that mean you have to change or RE-book, will mean that the money goes back onto those gift cards.

You can't just cancel and get a refund to your credit card that you used to buy the gift cards, or cash, etc...

My husband made the mistake of going ahead and using the cards to pay for a cruise, before final payment.   Well, of course, there was a price drop.  A promotion.  (would require a new booking)

There was NO way to get this refund processed and transfer this to another booking in time to switch our booking before the final payment date. Literally WEEKS to process.  ( should NOT be that way)   We would have lost our booking and cabin that we had selected while the few were still available.  So, the cards posed limitations for us.  We didn't want to go ahead and pay cash, and then hope we would be using the gift cards in the future.  Especially at that time.

For more frequent cruisers, who will usually have another cruise coming up, then this is no problem.   But, we needed to use those cards, as we did not have any plans for another future cruise.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Just a note.  Yes they are legit.

However, one word of caution.

YES, keep the cards and the paperwork.

These gift cares are fine if you know, pretty certainly, that you will be cruising in the foreseeable future, and using up the cards.

Cancellation,  or any changes that mean you have to change or RE-book, will mean that the money goes back onto those gift cards.

You can't just cancel and get a refund to your credit card that you used to buy the gift cards, or cash, etc...

My husband made the mistake of going ahead and using the cards to pay for a cruise, before final payment.   Well, of course, there was a price drop.  A promotion.  (would require a new booking)

There was NO way to get this refund processed and transfer this to another booking in time to switch our booking before the final payment date. Literally WEEKS to process.  ( should NOT be that way)   We would have lost our booking and cabin that we had selected while the few were still available.  So, the cards posed limitations for us.  We didn't want to go ahead and pay cash, and then hope we would be using the gift cards in the future.  Especially at that time.

For more frequent cruisers, who will usually have another cruise coming up, then this is no problem.   But, we needed to use those cards, as we did not have any plans for another future cruise.

Your TA should have been able to directly transfer the funds from the old booking to the new. That was not an issue with the cards.

• Like 1

True!   Sometimes this can be done.  But can be a complicated matter when policies about perks and prior bookings, etc are involved.   And, as many here might know, some Princess Planners and/or TA's are better than others.

This was the last time we booked thru Princess with one of their planners  (who went AWOL on us) and have found a better independent TA. 

Just a note:  Unfortunately, this TA has now been promoted...  She promises she will forward us to one of her good TA's when we make our next booking.

5 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

If I have a $500 gift card, when I am on the ship, can I ask Guest Service to just download $200 to my account or the total amount of the Gift card must be loaded to my account?  Thank you.

They can just do the $200 if that's what you want.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 7:01 AM, love to cruz said:

We just learned of the AARP gift card yesterday. Is the card legit? Has anyone used the card?

I just paid off $22,000 in cruises and flights using nothing but Princess gift cards I bought at a discount through AARP. Is that legit enough?

• Like 3