Inaugural Sailing Observations

Keith1010

3 hours ago, AtA said:

Do you have a smart phone? If you do you can pull up any town in the world and get gps directions to any place you want to go

That’s why I like T-Mobile. Gives me plenty of included data, pretty much worldwide. That’s a good reminder, and we’re getting better and better at using it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

They are fine tuning the start times of the shows and trying to see if they can have something at 9:00 AM in addition to other shows later for those dining early. Maybe even slightly earlier.  The goal is to have consistent times which will help all of us when booking specialty restaurant reservations.

Keith

Keith means 9:00 PM!

8 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I would just be prepared. You never know. The same can happen in Hotels. Anne Marie always tell me wherever we stay the thermostat is for decoration.

It's not going to be very cold the entire day and evening. Right now early morning it is not. It does vary. I find certain stores in shopping malls to be very cold.

And some of this varies by person. I can be cold and Anne Marie is hot.

I think it is a good idea to have a light jacket so if you are cold you can put it on as I sometimes do.

Keith 

Absolutely. I have found historically that the thermostat is controlled by a computer and not by any of my efforts. However, it can be fixed from elsewhere. When we stayed at the Hermitage in Monte Carlo prior to boarding the Serenity the fixing of the thermostat was like theatre. There must have been 3 groups of 4 traipsing through our room and shaking their heads over the situation. I was not going to settle for anything less than 24 degrees in the room which the thermostat stated. Finally once fixed they even brought a hand held thermometer which they beamed to every corner to assure me. 

2 hours ago, Emdee said:

I was not going to settle for anything less than 24 degrees in the room which the thermostat stated. Finally once fixed they even brought a hand held thermometer which they beamed to every corner to assure me. 

IIRC, OC had battery operated clocks in the room that had a built in thermometer.

42 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

There's more to the shore guides than just a map.

I might take a photo of the important (to me) parts of the shore guide.

Also, I’m guessing the entire shore guide will be on an app which I’ll be able to access on my phone.

Your concern points out why the first cruise for a new or returning-to-service ship would not be a good fit for you.

49 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

IIRC, OC had battery operated clocks in the room that had a built in thermometer.

This wasn’t on Crystal but in the Hermitage hotel in Monte Carlo.

To me it is great to see in a little more that a week of sailing - the comments and questions aren't will it or can it sail and will everything be screwed up before sailing -  to details on parts of the experience and hard copy guides vs. electronic, etc.  No comments about Crystal not being ready to sail or bad experience - bring the old one back.

Crystal is back and from what I read  and will see  it is better and better.  Great job to new owners and all the crew.

• Like 6

Keith, your comments are highly appreciated!

Did you take any ship excursions? What's the general feedback? Quality of the guides, excursions sizes (average number of people on each bus) etc? How are the prices?

14 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

They are fine tuning the start times of the shows and trying to see if they can have something at 9:00 AM in addition to other shows later for those dining early. Maybe even slightly earlier.  The goal is to have consistent times which will help all of us when booking specialty restaurant reservations.

Keith

On the Regent Mariner that shows start at 9:30 pm.  My recollection of OC was that there were two identical shows per night to account for early and later diners.  However, with my fading memory, that might have been another cruise line.

Keith,  Thank you for your detailed and reassuring reviews and comments - because of them and reports/comments/pictures from others we have booked December 2, Panama Canal.  Looking forward to returning to Crystal. 

I do have a question - I may have missed it and have tried running a search - but - I do not see many (or any) comments on breakfast and lunch at the Marketplace (except for the glance at the cold bar).  I am particularly interested in the buffet quality at lunch since we sometimes just like to pop in there and/or sit outside for lunch.  Really no information (that I can find). 

Thanks,

Ray

5 hours ago, ivyleaguegent said:

On the Regent Mariner that shows start at 9:30 pm.  My recollection of OC was that there were two identical shows per night to account for early and later diners.  However, with my fading memory, that might have been another cruise line.

Memory is great. Used to be two shows when there were many more rooms on the ship.  Also worked well with fixed dining.

Keith

3 hours ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

Keith,  Thank you for your detailed and reassuring reviews and comments - because of them and reports/comments/pictures from others we have booked December 2, Panama Canal.  Looking forward to returning to Crystal. 

I do have a question - I may have missed it and have tried running a search - but - I do not see many (or any) comments on breakfast and lunch at the Marketplace (except for the glance at the cold bar).  I am particularly interested in the buffet quality at lunch since we sometimes just like to pop in there and/or sit outside for lunch.  Really no information (that I can find). 

Thanks,

Ray

Ray, the breakfasts and lunches at Marketplace are the way you remember it.  Great quality and lots to choose from. Breakfast features the same items daily whereas for lunch a good portion of the items change daily.

Keith

Consistency.

We have now dined at all of the dining venues where dinner is served at night with the exception of The Vintage Room (stay tuned) and Supper Club although that is food from Waterside.

A one word description is consistency about the food served. All meals have been delicious and even in Waterside they have created new items.

In short, the food is presented very well, it arrives warm and tastes delicious.

I realize this is subjective but years ago I might not have used the word consistency.  

Keith

We have met most of the Butlers and are very impressed with those who are new to the team including those promoted and who came in from the outside.  

I was very pleased to see that Dennis who used to take care of room service after hours for Decks 10 and 11 has been promoted to Butler. Dennis is from the Philippines and this is the first time someone from the Philippines has become a butler on Crystal.

So happy to see this happen and so very well deserved as I was to see how other areas such as Waterside (formally The Crystal Dining Room) evolved over the years. I believe on our first few cruises there were no female Senior Waiters and I remember on the 2007 World Cruise having a female Senior Waiter and she might have been the only one in that role as others were waiters  

Having butler service throughout the ship (and yes I know of another line that has this) is really good IMHO and I have had butlers on other ships (including the other luxury lines that has this) and also on Premium lines and even one time on a Mass Market line when they had butlers for one year and really appreciate the butlers with Crystal.  

I know some say they won't use the butler but if you do decide to eat in your room for whatever reason it will be the butler who serves the meal and if you care to have a soft drink, wine, beer or spirits or a piece of fruit it will be the Butler who takes care of this for you and not the room attendant.

Keith

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

New lounge chairs on the back of the guest decks. More enhancements coming.

Keith

IMG_27082.jpeg.16399ebfd2414d25a17d85a1ea69f564.jpeg

Oh thank goodness! The last iteration of lounges was terrible - arm rests were too high for short people and too confining. These look good!

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

New lounge chairs on the back of the guest decks. More enhancements coming.

Keith

IMG_27082.jpeg.16399ebfd2414d25a17d85a1ea69f564.jpeg

Enhanced or not, deck chairs can be rearranged at any time. 😀

Are Crystal staff accompanying guests on tours? I felt this used to be unique to Crystal, and I always felt good about having staff on tour.

4 minutes ago, Ethereal Cruiser said:

Enhanced or not, deck chairs can be rearranged at any time. 😀

Are Crystal staff accompanying guests on tours? I felt this used to be unique to Crystal, and I always felt good about having staff on tour.

Chairs are enhanced. Do not understand what you mean about rearranged.

Yes.  There is a Crystal rep on each tour.

So back to my observations of the first inaugural cruise of "Crystal Serenity" not any other line.

This evening we enjoyed a very special wine at Waterside.

The Sommelier decanted the wine ahead of time and is trained to know how early to decant the wine.

He gave a throughout description of the wine and of the vinegar. The Head Sommelier came by with additional information.

For me, travel is discover and tonights experience was how I think of Crystal.

Keith

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

So back to my observations of the first inaugural cruise of "Crystal Serenity" not any other line.

This evening we enjoyed a very special wine at Waterside.

The Sommelier decanted the wine ahead of time and is trained to know how early to decant the wine.

He gave a throughout description of the wine and of the vinegar. The Head Sommelier came by with additional information.

For me, travel is discover and tonights experience was how I think of Crystal.

Keith

Can you tell us the wine?

2 hours ago, tryber said:

Can you tell us the wine?

Absolutely.  I just noticed that auto correct changed one of my words from Vintage to Vinegar.  Mama Mia.  LOL.

The wine was Metaphora Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley 2013.

Keith

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JusttheTwoofUs said:

Keith, have you been able to find out if osso bucco is available at "OO"?  Also it seems like there is a steak tartare available, but different from OC.  

Phyllis

Phyllis,

The osso bucco is not available at OO nor are other items from Prego such as the soup. The soup is available in Waterside when on the menu.

I did try the Beef Tartrare on our second visit to OO and enjoyed it. I thought the taste was excellent.

Keith