Unexpected Need to Leave Ship Early

every ship, every port and every situation is different. if you need to do this go to guest services right away. do be aware that if they approve your early disembarkation you will be on your own for flights, hotel

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Forgot to mention bereavement in reason to leave early.

I'm sorry to read this, assuming this isn't just a theoretical possibility you're talking about. I agree with @shof515, go to GS ASAP and ask.

Happened to part of my group, a day or two before Nassau. Let them know asap. They took care of everything and got everyone where they needed to go. Just have all of your travel documents and ID etc in order. 

Around a year ago (I think) someone was doing a live review. They had to leave due to a death in the family. I don't remember anything, other than NCL worked with the family so they could leave as easily as possible. I wish I could remember anything else so I could post the thread that I'm referring to. Sorry I can't!

I disembarked myself in FLA on time after boarding in NY, I didn't say anything to anyone. I had met a woman who convinced me to stay with her for a few days instead of going to the Bahamas that I have been to  many times. I never heard anything till after my next cruise at CBP, they brought me to secondary said I was in all kinds of trouble, the only think to happen to me was a stern talking to, a $300 fine and I got a really big stamp in my passport in big red letters that said PSVA Violation across 2 pages, and that was it. Coolest passport stamp I'v gotten so far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Davechipp74 said:

I disembarked myself in FLA on time after boarding in NY, I didn't say anything to anyone. I had met a woman who convinced me to stay with her for a few days instead of going to the Bahamas that I have been to  many times. I never heard anything till after my next cruise at CBP, they brought me to secondary said I was in all kinds of trouble, the only think to happen to me was a stern talking to, a $300 fine and I got a really big stamp in my passport in big red letters that said PSVA Violation across 2 pages, and that was it. Coolest passport stamp I'v gotten so far.

You got off cheap.  Current PVSA fine is $778.

5 hours ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Forgot to mention bereavement in reason to leave early.

Since you are in the Haven, talk to the concierge staff to organize your departure. There will be immigration clearance to enter Bermuda. Immigration clearance to leave Bermuda. And maybe some immigration work when you re-enter the US because you really never left. 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

If you say so but $778 according to the CBP website

image.thumb.png.4ca070a826f9f97d8eacd5497b21ca46.png

18 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Apparently they want us confused, or it just keeps going up. This says $941.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-19/chapter-I/part-4/subject-group-ECFR610bc0266d90628/section-4.80

16 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

that's directly from the Code for Federal Regulations, so what I'd believe. 

The law now includes an annual change in the PVSA fine to reflect inflation, hence the increases in the fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

The more important question we all want to know is if it was worth it to get off the ship?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Since you are in the Haven, talk to the concierge staff to organize your departure. There will be immigration clearance to enter Bermuda. Immigration clearance to leave Bermuda. And maybe some immigration work when you re-enter the US because you really never left. 

Huh?

It doesn't appear that the OP is currently on an NCL ship, much less in the Haven. In a post made yesterday on the MSC board they say they just disembarked the MSC Meraviglia YC following a week on the NCL Joy Haven.

But even if they were on NCL you're still not making any sense. How can you say " And maybe some immigration work when you re-enter the US because you really never left"? In the two prior sentences you're telling them they have to clear immigration to enter and leave Bermuda. If they entered Bermuda they obviously left the US .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dad son team said:

The more important question we all want to know is if it was worth it to get off the ship?

Yes it was a 1 night stand that lasted 4 or 5 days at the time, after a few days she asked me if I wanted a ride to the airport. We stayed in touch and hooked up some time later, after that she became my ex-wife of 6.5 years (no kids) we are still FB friends today.

Edited by Davechipp74
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Has anyone had to disembark the ship early, while in a port? Whether it be medical, family, work, finances? Easy or not?

Agree with others that it would depend and that Guest Services would be a good resource.  Emergencies happen and they've seen this play out many times.  Ghosting would not be advisable.

I doubt any of us are expert in the immigration laws in every port one might visit.  I'd imagine the situation would be a lot different if you boarded in NY and disembarked in Canaveral before you hit an international port, versus a Baltic cruise, for example, where you'd potentially be leaving in some random country with strict immigration laws. 

Edited by phillygwm

1 hour ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Thanks for the replies. It was a "what if" inquiry. Thought it would be helpful if ever needed to have other tell their experiences. what i have gathered. go to guest services. don't ghost. 

Make sure you are traveling with a passport if traveling home from outside the US.

The birth certificate and government issued ID is only good for reentering the US on a closed loop cruise from a US port.