Casual Dining - Fixed Price Menus and A La Carte Charges

dides

On 8/4/2023 at 11:55 AM, rosevew said:

I emailed to complain and this is the response! Clearly, they don't give a damn.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective on our recent Princess Plus and Premier announcement.  Please be assured we have shared your comments with our leadership team.

8 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

If you are one of many, what other response could they give? If you give them the benefit of the doubt, the leadership team will meet and reevaluate the changes and the response from people like you. Regardless, that is giving some sort of a damn. 

FWIW - I emailed them that we have a 32 day cruise coming up and that i thought the 2 casual dinings per cruise was unfair and that maybe the length of the cruise should be taken into consideration and i got the exact (and I mean EXACT !!!) same response. So, yes, it is a canned response to all. It sounds like - make the customer feel heard.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, chamima said:

FWIW - I emailed them that we have a 32 day cruise coming up and that i thought the 2 casual dinings per cruise was unfair and that maybe the length of the cruise should be taken into consideration and i got the exact (and I mean EXACT !!!) same response. So, yes, it is a canned response to all. It sounds like - make the customer feel heard.

It certainly doesn't read as though they will get back to you again! So looks like lip service only. When I raise questions, I expect answers.

6 minutes ago, rosevew said:

It certainly doesn't read as though they will get back to you again! So looks like lip service only. When I raise questions, I expect answers.

I think, they have received so many complaints now, that it is why you are receiving a canned response. 
Just to keep up with the emails….

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, chamima said:

Should they have said, “Dear Sir or Madam, Thank you for your feedback and expressing concern that you Plus package includes only 2 casual dining opportunities over the course of a 32-night cruise. In an effort to be a profitable corporation we have made some changes to our dining options. A la carte, the benefit you are talking about, casual dining, is a $14.99 charge. You could choose to pay this discriminately to suit your needs or upgrade to the Premier package for only $20 more per day. For only $20 more per day you will be able to eat casual dining as often (yes, NO LIMIT) for the entirety of your cruise! You will enjoy other perks as well, including more Wi-Fi devices (for your phone, computer, tablet), a photo package, reserved seating for some productions. To take advantage of this great offer we accept all major credit cards, onboard credit, etc. Should you choose not to upgrade, you can still benefit from the endless buffet options, the daily dining in our main dining rooms (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), and other included dining which may include the international cafe (24/7), and Lido deck offerings like Slice (pizza) and Salty Dog Cafe (cheeseburgers and hot dogs). Either way, we wish you the best in travels as you join Princess for 30 days on the seas.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Should they have said, “Dear Sir or Madam, Thank you for your feedback and expressing concern that you Plus package includes only 2 casual dining opportunities over the course of a 32-night cruise. In an effort to be a profitable corporation we have made some changes to our dining options. A la carte, the benefit you are talking about, casual dining, is a $14.99 charge. You could choose to pay this discriminately to suit your needs or upgrade to the Premier package for only $20 more per day. For only $20 more per day you will be able to eat casual dining as often (yes, NO LIMIT) for the entirety of your cruise! You will enjoy other perks as well, including more Wi-Fi devices (for your phone, computer, tablet), a photo package, reserved seating for some productions. To take advantage of this great offer we accept all major credit cards, onboard credit, etc. Should you choose not to upgrade, you can still benefit from the endless buffet options, the daily dining in our main dining rooms (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), and other included dining which may include the international cafe (24/7), and Lido deck offerings like Slice (pizza) and Salty Dog Cafe (cheeseburgers and hot dogs). Either way, we wish you the best in travels as you join Princess for 30 days on the seas.”

Clearly you seem to think that it's a great move. However, where is the sense in paying $20 per day for something that costs $14.99 when you want to use? Even if you use it every day it's not worth upgrading the package.

Perhaps they should have said

"Dear Sir or Madam, Thank you for your feedback and expressing concern that your Plus package includes only 2 casual dining opportunities over the course of a 32-night cruise.

We appreciate your point that you are paying 32 x $60 ($1920) but are only getting the same 2 fixed prix meals as another passenger paying 5 x $60 ($300). On reflection, that does seem rather unfair so we have made the decision to change it to 2 meals per 5 day period during your cruise."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, rosevew said:

Clearly you seem to think that it's a great move. However, where is the sense in paying $20 per day for something that costs $14.99 when you want to use? Even if you use it every day it's not worth upgrading the package.

Perhaps they should have said

"Dear Sir or Madam, Thank you for your feedback and expressing concern that your Plus package includes only 2 casual dining opportunities over the course of a 32-night cruise.

We appreciate your point that you are paying 32 x $60 ($1920) but are only getting the same 2 fixed prix meals as another passenger paying 5 x $60 ($300). On reflection, that does seem rather unfair so we have made the decision to change it to 2 meals per 5 day period during your cruise."

The consumer experiences diminished value of the packages over lengthy cruises, but this has always been the case. Your proposed response isn’t bad, and while canned for expediency, it doesn’t mean that Princess actual response is insincere. Changes this big will be closely monitored. Meetings will be held by leadership — ad nauseam — to discuss complaints and concerns. I’m sure this will result in tweaks to appease some and tweaks to close unforeseen loopholes. But your complaint about equity over lengthy sailings is among the most common and the most easy to identify as problematic. 

Lengthy sailings often enjoy a much better pp/pn rate because of volume. Regardless of cabin selection, this fare is lower than on 5- or 7-night sailings. As soon as those passengers are booked, Princess has to work to capture more revenue because the fuel to move the ship isn’t less than on a 5- or 7-night. The crew doesn’t cost less to employ over a 5- to 7-night. And if the ship is at capacity, the same amount of food is being brought on board and prepared daily as it is on a 5- to 7-night. 

The point is, lengthy sailings have never been the same as standard, shorter sailings. Princess has to literally account for this. And yes, on a longer sailing, passengers are more vulnerable to the marketing of missing out. If they offer you 2 for every 5 days to be fair, no one would upgrade to premier. They would NEVER capture that revenue. Passengers would account for days in port (where they are spending dollars on food, excursions, activities, and gifts) and decide 2 meals at Alfredo’s for every 5 days is enough. Convincing a percentage of cruisers to upgrade to premium is good revenue. Convincing another percentage of cruisers to pay for casual dining a la carte is safe revenue. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

The consumer experiences diminished value of the packages over lengthy cruises, but this has always been the case. Your proposed response isn’t bad, and while canned for expediency, it doesn’t mean that Princess actual response is insincere. Changes this big will be closely monitored. Meetings will be held by leadership — ad nauseam — to discuss complaints and concerns. I’m sure this will result in tweaks to appease some and tweaks to close unforeseen loopholes. But your complaint about equity over lengthy sailings is among the most common and the most easy to identify as problematic. 

Lengthy sailings often enjoy a much better pp/pn rate because of volume. Regardless of cabin selection, this fare is lower than on 5- or 7-night sailings. As soon as those passengers are booked, Princess has to work to capture more revenue because the fuel to move the ship isn’t less than on a 5- or 7-night. The crew doesn’t cost less to employ over a 5- to 7-night. And if the ship is at capacity, the same amount of food is being brought on board and prepared daily as it is on a 5- to 7-night. 

The point is, lengthy sailings have never been the same as standard, shorter sailings. Princess has to literally account for this. And yes, on a longer sailing, passengers are more vulnerable to the marketing of missing out. If they offer you 2 for every 5 days to be fair, no one would upgrade to premier. They would NEVER capture that revenue. Passengers would account for days in port (where they are spending dollars on food, excursions, activities, and gifts) and decide 2 meals at Alfredo’s for every 5 days is enough. Convincing a percentage of cruisers to upgrade to premium is good revenue. Convincing another percentage of cruisers to pay for casual dining a la carte is safe revenue. 

I get your point but the crew costs and fuel costs are the same, regardless. We are at sea for 14/15 days so would have used Alfredo's more than twice, especially if the weather is poor on the transatlantic crossings to New England/Canada. The pool deck offerings aren't going to be an appealing alternative at all if so (not that I normally use them as I like to be served my food). How is serving all the people who would have gone to Alfredo's in the MDR instead going to save money?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rosevew said:

How is serving all the people who would have gone to Alfredo's in the MDR instead going to save money?

I'd be surprised if there's much difference at all in the cost to Princess of providing a MDR meal and the cost of providing a meal in Alfredos.  So, it matters not to them in terms of cost whether people eat in the MDR or Alfredos.  But, every time someone without a package eats a meal in Alfredo they are going to make $15 in additional revenue.  And everytime someone with a Plus package eats there more than twice on their voyage, they're going to make an additional $15.   That will soon add up, even if most pax on no package choose not to eat in Alredos and most pax with the Plus package only have the 2 included meals there. 

I’m not happy about the changes.  I have three cruises booked and I have Plus-50, Plus-60 and Premium packages.  Personally, I feel they could eliminate the 2 premium desserts per day and the fitness classes to offset the cost of casual dining.  

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, irishgirl said:

I’m not happy about the changes.  I have three cruises booked and I have Plus-50, Plus-60 and Premium packages.  Personally, I feel they could eliminate the 2 premium desserts per day and the fitness classes to offset the cost of casual dining.  

In my letter I did suggest that the 2 desserts per day was excessive (I can only think they offer that because very few people take advantage) but that maybe 2 casual meals for every week or 10 days of the cruise might be better.

I really didn't expect much response from Princess but felt it couldn't hurt to let them know my opinion.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2023 at 1:54 AM, Wanderers2 said:

I believe the speciality restaurants would include

Crown Grill

Sabatini’s

The Catch by Rudi

Sterling Steakhouse

Kai Sushi (Diamond Princess)

Harmony (Majestic Princess)

There may be some others but that would be the main ones 

Bayou Cafe on Island/Coral.  Approximately a CG type menu, but with different items.

5 hours ago, chamima said:

The fact is that on many of the ships there were no free casual dining venues and on those that had one it was only the pizzeria. So even 2 meals is a benefit. This is analogous to I only drink 8 drinks a day so I should get a discount   Also many 32 day cruises can be broken up into segments 

Edited by memoak
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

My wife and I were on the Royal Princess to Hawaii out of San Francisco earlier this year and Alfredo's was free.  We had lunch there and we were not charged. 

That is because this change is just being rolled out now

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Westsail32 said:

I wasn’t aware of this until I booked last week and saw the casual dining 2x for Princess Plus.  I utilize it a lot and plan to call my vacation planner tomorrow to see if I can upgrade to premier.  

And that's is what they want you to do ? Are you going to utilise it every day? If not, where is the value in upograding?

4 minutes ago, rosevew said:

And that's is what they want you to do ? Are you going to utilise it every day? If not, where is the value in upograding?

For myself it would probably be cost effective.  I utilize specialty dining 2x at least ($60), have a few more expensive drinks, casual dining 4-5x, and usually buy the extra Wi-Fi for four devices.  I think Premier is $20 a day more so $140 on my 7-day cruise.  I’m thinking I’d come out ahead.  It actually makes sense now whereas before when there was no upcharge for casual.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Westsail32 said:

I wasn’t aware of this until I booked last week and saw the casual dining 2x for Princess Plus.  I utilize it a lot and plan to call my vacation planner tomorrow to see if I can upgrade to premier.  

You will then be paying $20 per day for a $15 meal unless you intend to eat all lunch and dinner meals in casual eateries and never go to the MDR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

You will then be paying $20 per day for a $15 meal unless you intend to eat all lunch and dinner meals in casual eateries and never go to the MDR

3 glasses of $18 cab will also cut into the 20

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rosevew said:

It’s almost as if people believe cruising is a soup kitchen or a public service. It is a publicly traded company that answer to a board and shareholders. They are not running a charity or aiming for break even. They have a fiduciary duty be PROFITABLE. It is a for-profit business. It has to respond to inflation, labor costs, supply chain issues, fuel surcharges, etc. The business has to respond. It is inconvenient that you thought you were getting a specific type of food and no longer are, but it isn’t criminal — it isn’t even wrong. Every cruise line is making adjustments. Every cruise line is eliminating some offerings and providing new ones.

I own a pizzeria. I not only understand small business operations, I understand the business of pizza specifically. I am certain Princess knows their pizza is a winner. It is consistently busy. I’m sure they did focus groups and found — “I was surprised Gigis and Alfredo’s was included in my fare. It is so delicious, I would pay for it.” And so it is. Making pizzas by hand, to order, is definitely more difficult and expensive than churning out most food in the MDR or the buffet. The MDR is, for the most part, a buffet — you order, and someone walks through the buffet line in the kitchen and puts your food on the plate for you. Very little is being made “to order.” 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

It’s almost as if people believe cruising is a soup kitchen or a public service. It is a publicly traded company that answer to a board and shareholders. They are not running a charity or aiming for break even. They have a fiduciary duty be PROFITABLE. It is a for-profit business. It has to respond to inflation, labor costs, supply chain issues, fuel surcharges, etc. The business has to respond. It is inconvenient that you thought you were getting a specific type of food and no longer are, but it isn’t criminal — it isn’t even wrong. Every cruise line is making adjustments. Every cruise line is eliminating some offerings and providing new ones.

I own a pizzeria. I not only understand small business operations, I understand the business of pizza specifically. I am certain Princess knows their pizza is a winner. It is consistently busy. I’m sure they did focus groups and found — “I was surprised Gigis and Alfredo’s was included in my fare. It is so delicious, I would pay for it.” And so it is. Making pizzas by hand, to order, is definitely more difficult and expensive than churning out most food in the MDR or the buffet. The MDR is, for the most part, a buffet — you order, and someone walks through the buffet line in the kitchen and puts your food on the plate for you. Very little is being made “to order.” 

Sorry, but I disagree. I bought and paid for something that I am no longer receiving. I am a shareholder from a financial background. However you want to put it, I am no longer receiving what I was sold. Not only thing that but they have not had the decency to tell me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rosevew said:

Sorry, but I disagree. I bought and paid for something that I am no longer receiving. I am a shareholder from a financial background. However you want to put it, I am no longer receiving what I was sold. Not only thing that but they have not had the decency to tell me.

You weren’t sold that. If they said they were closing a restaurant on a ship for good, without warning, you would have no recourse. They didn’t close that restaurant, they repurposed it. You have no recourse. Read the terms and conditions. They are delivering on everything they said they are providing. You can no more rely on a meal in Alfredo’s or GiGi’s being free than you can rely on a specific meal or menu item being provided in the MDR. When people buy a specialty dining package, the terms and conditions do not enumerate specific restaurants — because the restaurant can be overbooked or otherwise unavailable. When you buy a drinks package, it doesn’t specifically state what wines, or beers, or brands of whiskey you will get. You are given examples of what MAY be available. Cruise lines and their agents represent examples of what is currently available … subject to change. 

• Like 1