What warm clothes to pack for Alaska - Aug 31 - Sept 10?

MrBill923

Our first trip to Alaska, first time on Holland.  Just wondering about weather that first week of Sept. I don't want to over pack for cold weather. If we are NOT going whale watching, fishing, or going to visit glaciers, and our excursions are mild activities, do we really need winter coats and multiple layers of warm clothes? We will be on Nieuw Amsterdam and have balcony cabin for viewing nature. I understand about rain gear being necessary. Thanks for your input (please don't make this post about dining room attire!)

• Like 2

My first trip to Alaska was the first week of September.  I had a rain jacket, scarf/hat/gloves and a hoodie.  I also had short-sleeve/long-sleeve shirts that I could layer.  There was one day when I had on a short-sleeve shirt, long-sleeve shirt, hoodie, rain jacket and scarf/hat/gloves.  It was the day we were sailing through Glacier Bay in the rain.  Most days, the hat/scarf/gloves stayed in the room.  I would start the day with either the hoodie or rain jacket and a single shirt.  One day, I was sorry I did not have shortts because it was so warm.  

We were on the Eurodam to Alaska last week and wore everything from t-shirts and shorts to sweatshirts and stocking hats. We brought raincoats, but fortunately never needed them as we had good weather. I would skip the winter coat, but definitely bring sweatshirts, hoodies, and hats. I would also still bring a raincoat/windbreaker. We lucked out this time, but have needed them in Alaska on previous trips.

• Like 3

I would bring a waterproof windbreaker, preferably lined, and a sweatshirt. Also a scarf and gloves. Pack the gloves in the windbreaker pockets to insure you have them with you when your hands get cold outside. 

• Like 2

Remember that Ketchikan is in a rain forest. 

We were there in September, and the only time we needed very warm winter clothes was when we went on the glacier (which was a highlight), and to some extent on deck to see glaciers. Since you're not planning on going on a glacier, what everyone here has said is perfect. As @sherryfsaid, it could be chilly if you go out on deck to see glaciers.

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

I would bring a waterproof windbreaker, preferably lined, and a sweatshirt. Also a scarf and gloves. Pack the gloves in the windbreaker pockets to insure you have them with you when your hands get cold outside. 

Brilliant idea re the gloves - leaving on the Noordam on Sunday - and just put them in the pockets. Thank you!

Comfortable waterproof shoes - we like the LL Bean ones -- because chances are you will either be walking in the rain, or walking in rain puddles after the rain. Hard to dry shoes out in the cabin.  Though we do hang them from the ceiling on rare earth magnet hooks in front of the ventilation outlets in the past.

Good thing about Alaska is they sell inexpensive "fleece packs" (hoodie, scarf, gloves, hat)  in every port since they know many do get caught on the wrong side of their highly variable weather.

Our later Alaska cruise at the end of Sept, just maybe will offer some Northern Lights viewing, so I will probably bring my longer puffer coat, mainly to just throw on to rush out on deck if we get the call in the middle of the night they are appearing. But mainly I hear you pack for rain in September, and the always good advice for layers.  

Starting with a good set of long underwear - I start with silk and later add Patagonia or Uniqlo HeatTech stuff. 

Remember Marino wool is your friend. It's a natural fiber, doesn't retain odor and will keep you warm even when wet. That being said we only used it when we were on the bow at the glacier. I also packed some "Hot spot" pocket warmers. they were quite helpful to warm my hands when I had my gloves off for photography. I even gave some to one passenger who was not very well prepared.

• Like 2

We were cruising in Alaska in June and July.  I wore a down winter jacket for the 4th of July parade in Ketchikan.  It was also needed for the Hubbard Glacier.  As a caveat, at that point in my life I had spent the previous 40 years living in Honolulu and San Diego.  Your Chicago body will probably react to the weather differently than mine.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the warm clothes tips. I plan on getting full weather forecast the week before from the best Meteorologist I know -- my son. I think our North Face fleece coat with a heavy rain cost should be best. Will pack a hooded sweatshirt, gloves, hats, and a few long sleeve shirts. A few short sleeve shirts, shorts and bathing suit --- are a must when I cruise. I hope they get used. 

Thanks. 

Welcome to HAL, the N. Amsterdam and Alaska, Mr Bill! 

Wind can be really bad in September, but it is a wonderful time to sail. Just prepare for  bit of everything weatherwise.  You will get past Jaw Point, right up close to Johns Hopkins Glacier!

Enjoy and please tell us all about your cruise!!

• Like 1

Hey @MrBill923 welcome to HAL & Alaska!! As others have said - layers and waterproof outerwear are your friends. We cruise AK each May and Sept to open then close the season and find we've never needed any actual heavy winter wear. But definitely scarves and gloves for Glacier Bay and when on deck. The wind can be chilly, even in the sun.

We live on our balcony and make great use of the blankets they provide.

When packing, don't forget binoculars - they was important as your clothes!

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2