Dinner in Anchorage?

MarEll1

You didn't really give an idea of what kind of food you like.  My husband just met up w some friends who were here on a cruise and the wife insisted on seafood.  They all went to Simon and Seaforts and loved it.  S&S has a nice view of Cook Inlet and it's downtown.  It's walkable from the Hilton.  https://www.simonandseaforts.com/menus/

Another place I like is Glacier Brewhouse.  Again downtown.  Both of these places have a nice atmosphere.  Glacier Brewhouse doesn't have a view but decent food.  They have their own flagship beers if interested.  https://www.glacierbrewhouse.com/

Kind of a fun place on same street as Hilton a few blocks down is 49th State Brewing.  Views, outside dining, decent food but more casual and it will be busier.  https://www.opentable.com/r/49th-state-brewing-company-anchorage

People like to go to Humpy's but it's overrated.  

• Like 1

Thank you both - I realize I didn’t ask for a type of food or restaurant. We will be returning from a few days in Denali where I think we will be eating more casually. So we may want something a little nicer (I always love seafood) or something more casual like a brewpub. Not sure how tired we will be, so it’s good to have options, all of your suggestions look great.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:46 PM, Northern Aurora said:

If you want something more upscale consider the Marx Brothers Cafe.  Reservations are a must.

I have not heard of this restaurant. Thanks for mentioning it.

@Coral:  Marx Brothers is one of the nicest restaurants  in Anchorage.  I don't remember when they opened but I remember dining there in the early 1980s.  That particular experience was very memorable as a co-worker went into diabetic shock.  She learned her lesson from that experience  -- what can I say.    It was a memorable experience for all -- her friends and the employees.  In any event, the building was originally a small home from the early 1920s (check their website for accurate info) so reservations are a must.  Excellent food.  Lovely decor.  Great food.

• Like 1

The Marx Bros. opened in 1978 or 1979 IIRC.  I broke up with a girlfriend over an expensive dinner there shortly after they opened.  (Her loss.)  

I was going to suggest an even older "old time" place a short walk from the Hilton, Club Paris, a definitely "old school" steakhouse but a major Anchorage tradition/landmark.  It appears that it's better lit than in the day, when we used to joke that one should order a sirloin medium rare, accompanied by a flashlight.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

The Marx Bros. opened in 1978 or 1979 IIRC.  I broke up with a girlfriend over an expensive dinner there shortly after they opened.  (Her loss.)  

I was going to suggest an even older "old time" place a short walk from the Hilton, Club Paris, a definitely "old school" steakhouse but a major Anchorage tradition/landmark.  It appears that it's better lit than in the day, when we used to joke that one should order a sirloin medium rare, accompanied by a flashlight.  

Wow hadn’t seen Club Paris when looking at the map. Looks great! Thank you. We have a lot of choices now! 

5 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you for this suggestion as we are also staying at the Hilton.

It is a restaurant that everyone can find something they like. The food is actually pretty good also. Depending on when you are going, you may want to make reservations.

39 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Does everyone generally walk around downtown to get to their restaurant of choice?  

Depending on the time of year, some places could be crowded.  If it's a place that takes reservations, I would go ensure you make one so you do not have to wait. 

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Does everyone generally walk around downtown to get to their restaurant of choice?  

Absolutely not.  Even prior to the pandemic folks needed to be prepared for a significant wait if they did not have a reservation.  Post pandemic Alaska is experiencing a serious labor shortage and the hospitality industry has been very hard hit.  If there is a restaurant of particular interest than make a reservation.  And there are very few restaurants in Anchorage which do not take reservations.  At a restaurant such as the Marx Brothers a reservation is a must even during winter.

1 minute ago, Northern Aurora said:

Absolutely not.  Even prior to the pandemic folks needed to be prepared for a significant wait if they did not have a reservation.  Post pandemic Alaska is experiencing a serious labor shortage and the hospitality industry has been very hard hit.  If there is a restaurant of particular interest than make a reservation.  And there are very few restaurants in Anchorage which do not take reservations.  At a restaurant such as the Marx Brothers a reservation is a must even during winter.

Thank you.   I will make reservations later today after running it by my husband.  Does everyone usually walk if it is a ten minute or so walk or do take cabs or Ubers?

While Anchorage has a serious homeless issue it is not a problem to walk from a downtown hotel to restaurant.  

There are cabs.  Alaska's Wage and Hour regulations were modified several years ago (under the administration of former governor Gary Walker) and so now Uber is legal.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you.   I will make reservations later today after running it by my husband.  Does everyone usually walk if it is a ten minute or so walk or do take cabs or Ubers?

I would walk.

Our large group of family friends went to 49th state brewing when we were there a couple of weeks ago and can't recommend it enough. Lots of drink choices, lots of food choices, reasonable price and a great decor with very good views. Make sure you have a reservation though (we did from months ago). 

• Like 1

Hi! I, too, have a night in Anchorage (post-cruise) and have three questions about restaurants:

--Are there any restaurants with a good view of airplanes or seaplanes taking off and landing? We'd be open to anything from super casual to full-service restaurant. Our group of 7 will be disembarking in Seward on a Monday and taking the 8-hour bus tour with final stop in Anchorage around 5pm (staying only one night/flying home the next morning). I'd love for us to have dinner with a view of planes for some aviation-loving family members.

FYI, we are staying at the Embassy Suites, and we have the option of having the tour bus drop us off at the hotel or at the airport.

--Another option I am weighing as a backup in case anyone in our group isn't up for it after the tour, is those people eating dinner close by our hotel and forgetting the dinner with a view idea. Has anyone eaten at the restaurant inside the Embassy Suites?

--Also, does anyone know if it is an easy/desirable walk between Embassy Suites and Moose's Tooth? The google map doesn't seem current, and also I cannot tell if there are direct walking paths between the two buildings.

Thanks for your insights on this, and also for everything already written. Fun to read!

• Like 1

Yes you can walk to Mooses Tooth with no problem. There is a restuarant at the Millenium Hotel(The Lakefront ) on Lake Hood where the seaplanes take off from. It is a distance from Embassy Suites so might want to do Uber or taxi. Concierge at hotel should point you in the right direction. Am up here now and went to Mooses Tooth 2 days ago. Great pizza !

Edited by diesel1973
mistake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1