Transfer FCO to Cruiseport using NCL

Julesville777

Hi Looking for transport options transferring from FCO to Rome cruise port. We land at 7am from Boston. 
Has anyone done this transfer with NCL 

Do you know what that looks like? Do we have to wait for a bus to be filled to leave airport? Any other thoughts on this?

OR

Do you have other recommended transfer options FCO to cruise port. We are able bodied but will be tired from overnight travel. 

thanks!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You can find lots of transportation options on the Ports of Call forum on this board. As mentioned above, I would come in at least a day early primarily to avoid any stress from a possible flight delay.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Julesville777 said:

Hi Looking for transport options transferring from FCO to Rome cruise port. We land at 7am from Boston. 

Do you know what that looks like? Do we have to wait for a bus to be filled to leave airport? Any other thoughts on this?

OR

Do you have other recommended transfer options FCO to cruise port. We are able bodied but will be tired from overnight travel. 

thanks!!

Sadly yes you have to wait for bus to either fill or mostly fill. I did NCL transfers once & that was enough for me. We got a group of 8 from our roll call & hired Rome in Limo for transfers both arriving & departure. We also used them for tours. You get discount if you use them for 3tours. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Julesville777 said:

OR

thanks!!

Lots of overseas flights land early. Figure it will take more than an hour to collect your bags and clear immigrations. It’s an hour on a good day to get to the port.

• Like 1

Taking the train is incredibly easy. The Italian train system is great! Reliable, cheap, efficient.

Train company has an app in English, you can book tickets on it. I wouldn't prebook your tickets though. If customs goes a lot faster than you anticipated, you could be waiting for your train time too long. Or, on the flip side, if customs takes much longer, you could miss your train. So I'd just book them after you get your luggage (or even just buy them at the kiosk at the train platform). You'd book from Fiumicino Aeroporto to Civitavecchia. Costs about 11€/person. You do have to change trains once but the whole journey takes less than 2 hours. Then, when you get to Civitavecchia, you need to get to the port from the train station. You can walk but it's a busy road, you'll have luggage, and you'll be super tired. There's a bus that comes every 10-15 minutes, costs 2€ (I believe that's how much it is, it might have changed) or you can taxi for 10-15€.

This video shows exactly what to do & where to go!

And agree with everyone else. I HIGHLY recommend flying in a day early. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We’ve taken the train before - great option!

On our last cruise out of Rome/Civitavecchia we flew in a few days early, rented a car, stayed not far from the airport & did day trips to outlying areas every day.

We then drove to Civitavecchia - I dropped Johnny off w/ the luggage @ the port shuttle point & returned the vehicle to Thrifty.  
It was a gorgeous morning - decided  not to wait for the shuttle & walked back to the port shuttle point.  
We hopped on the next shuttle & were on our way.  

Flying from AK we always arrive 1 night+ early.

Depending on if we’ve visited the area b/4 - we may stay a week or 2 pre-cruise or post-cruise.  

The NCL transfer is $75 per person, one way...$150 per couple. If you have two or more people, you're much better off booking transfers with a company like Rome Cabs. The price for two is 160 euro...80 p/p...but you have a private vehicle with no waiting for a big bus to fill up.

If you have four people, it's 190 euro...or about 50 euro per person...an even better deal.

We have used them in the past and will be using them again in September. We wouldn't go any other way.

https://www.romecabs.com/transferservice/civitavecchia/

• Like 2

This is my cost of my train ride...

Express train from fco to Roma Termini...14 euros

Inter City train to Civitavecchia

4.60 euros

Port link bus to check in terminal

6.00 euros

All per person.

Edited by hamachi555
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Julesville777 said:

How do you get from train stop at Civitavecchia to port bus? How long is ride on port bus? Ty

The bus stop is directly outside the train station. Follow all the people with luggage, that's where they're going. I believe the bus is 3€ now (cash/coin only). 

The ride is only a few minutes, with traffic: 7-10 minutes maximum.

This bus drops you at the port welcome center. There are then people (& signs) that will direct you to a line for your ship. You then take your cruise line's shuttle to the actual terminal/ship.

Other options -

Walk but again, it's not that close, it's uneven sidewalks that aren't friendly to luggage, it will probably be hot, you'll be tired, etc. I do not recommend this option.

Taxi/Van - before you get in a taxi at the train station, you want to ask if they're able to take you directly to the ship's terminal. Taxi's have to have a special permit that allows them to drive directly to the ship. If they don't have it, they will just take you to the welcome center and then you still have to line up for your cruise line's shuttle. This is an okay option if you're running behind and the taxi can take you directly to the ship, saves a lot of time. 

• Like 1

After the long overnight red-eye flight into the zoo aka FCO, the best and most sensible thing for you to do is catch the Rome Cabs to take you and your luggage all the way right up to the ship. It’ll be worth it.

Forget the train as you’ll need to go into Rome center and change train to Civitavecchia, and then it’s not easy to get to the ship from the station.

you can book the cab online.

Edited by bluesea777

Besides the various options described above there's also human variables to be considered.  Years ago, I always schlepped my bag from the terminal to the train station (very easy as the train station is connected with the terminal and good signage) and headed to Civitavecchia.  The changing of trains in Ostiense (by the way you don't need to go all the way to Termini) was easy.  And I didn't even get upset arriving in Civitavecchia to normally find out it was arriving on one of the tracks furthest out (which back then meant hauling your bags down and then back upstairs - now there is an elevator!).  Then finally, I dragged my bag to the shuttle buses.  It was, as mentioned above "easy" and cost effective.

However, that was twenty years ago, traveling on a very tight budget, and often by myself.  I'm older now, and thankfully my budget goes a little further.  Yes, it will only cost around 25 euros each taking public transport, but you need to consider if this is your best option? 

How much luggage do you have?  Is it heavy?  Some of the older trains have two steep stairs to access, and you need to get your luggage on/off.  The days of porters are long gone (if you have mobility issues assistance can be arranged sometimes).  What's your stress level?  Are you travelling with children?  If there are children are there strollers, and who's hauling their luggage?  This is also a consideration if you're traveling with someone who can't take care of their luggage.  You're going to be the porter, and keep in mind the train is going to depart on time.  If you're on the regional train it won't have assigned seating and can be standing room only (okay mid-day isn't so bad).  Are you comfortable leaving your luggage out of line of sight (common on the regional trains)?  Also, with no assigned seating not only your luggage may be out of sight, but also your travelling companion(s)!  How comfortable are you with public transport?

I just sailed out of Civitavecchia last month with DH and GD.  Yes, it would have cost us less than 75 euros taking public transport, but it was a no brainer to book private transport which ran twice that amount knowing my parties' limitations.  We booked with Rome Habi Cabs and the 150 euros was money well spent.

• Like 1

I am long past dragging bags, catching trains to save money. Comfort over convenience at this point in my life. I love knowing a car is picking me up & bringing me to the right place. I will be tired after an 8hr flight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cabincop said:

I am long past dragging bags, catching trains to save money. Comfort over convenience at this point in my life. I love knowing a car is picking me up & bringing me to the right place. I will be tired after an 8hr flight. 

Yes!  It's so wonderful when walking out into the terminal seeing that individual holding up a sign with my name knowing the ship is my next stop.  No dragging bags, waiting for trains/shuttles, dealing with gypsies, trying to find someplace to store my bag, etc.! 

As you mentioned after the long flight I really enjoy sitting back and leaving it all to the driver.

• Like 2

I always remember my dad using the term "false economy" when referring to a lower price vs. convenience. Sure, taking a train, dragging your bags around, then waiting for a bus or taking a taxi...only to take yet another shuttle bus at the port may be cheaper, but the hassle isn't worth it (at least not to an old guy like me). And when you factor in jet lag, it's a no-brainer. Truly a false economy.

Give me a private transfer any day.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 3