EWR or LGA

mandersen12345

2 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

That shouldn’t be a possibility anyway, if a stop doesn’t include any of the ABC islands. Would be a violation of the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Service Act)

Sure hope this cruise isn't during hurricane season.

1 hour ago, mandersen12345 said:

Hello.  Soliciting opinions here for an upcoming cruise out of Cape Liberty.  Live in Sarasota, FL.  On the day of the cruise United has a nonstop to Newark (7:00 AM to 9:44 AM) and Delta has one to La Guardia (7:00 AM to 9:54 AM).  Negligible difference in arrival times.  Each flight is the first of the day out of Sarasota.  We are a family of 5.  Which flight would you take?  Or would you absolutely go the day before?  The price of a hotel for a night is irrelevant.  However, finding a place to stay for 5 (two of whom are teenagers) where we are not on top of each other could be another story....

Ship departs at 4:00 PM.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Homewood Suites properties have 2 bedroom suites that have a pullout couch too. One bedroom usually has a king and the second 2 doubles then a pullout couch in the “living room” area. 

31 minutes ago, mandersen12345 said:

I booked the nonstop to Newark that gets in at 9:44 day of cruise.  It's the first flight of the day out of Sarasota on that aircraft so hoping no issues.

IF there are issues and we miss the boat, can we contact Royal and get ourselves to the first port (Port Canaveral) and board there?

As others have mentioned you can’t board at Port Canaveral because of the PVSA. You have 24 hours to cancel so you can still book a day ahead. If you stick with that flight of course you probably will make it. Not a risk a savvy traveler would take but good luck. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mugtech said:

You are flying to NJ from Florida to take a cruise which stops in Canaveral?  Guessing the cruise also goes to the Bahamas.  Heard there are cruises out of Florida which hit those same ports.  I heard  you say money is no object and I believe you.

It's a cruise my company is doing.  The company is based in Maryland.  I happen to live in Florida.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mandersen12345 said:

Hello.  Soliciting opinions here for an upcoming cruise out of Cape Liberty.  Live in Sarasota, FL.  On the day of the cruise United has a nonstop to Newark (7:00 AM to 9:44 AM) and Delta has one to La Guardia (7:00 AM to 9:54 AM).  Negligible difference in arrival times.  Each flight is the first of the day out of Sarasota.  We are a family of 5.  Which flight would you take?  Or would you absolutely go the day before?  The price of a hotel for a night is irrelevant.  However, finding a place to stay for 5 (two of whom are teenagers) where we are not on top of each other could be another story....

Ship departs at 4:00 PM.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ewr.  Go that day.  Uber to port.

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

United has pretty much squeezed lots of airlines out. I was super annoyed when they forced Southwest out but if you’re flying United it’s an easy airport.

Or Alaska for us.  It is a direct flight for us, which is a rare occurrence.

5 hours ago, sixbirches said:

Newark, no question. LGA is not near Cape Liberty. It’s a HUGE hassle and very expensive to get to the cruise terminal in NJ. And definitely travel a day in advance 

Agree. Newark is so much closer.

14 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Nothing wrong with EWR 

I’ve lived within 20 minutes of Newark airport my entire life, it’s always been ranked as one of the worst airports in the country. United did just get a nice upgraded terminal though.

38 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve lived within 20 minutes of Newark airport my entire life, it’s always been ranked as one of the worst airports in the country. United did just get a nice upgraded terminal though.

I’ve never had a problem with EWR. It got a little crazy the last year or so with the new construction but usually I find it so easy.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’ve never had a problem with EWR. It got a little crazy the last year or so with the new construction but usually I find it so easy.

It’s always in the top 3 for delays. I’ve spent over an hour getting through security.

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

It’s always in the top 3 for delays. I’ve spent over an hour getting through security.

I have global entry and have never been in security line more than 10 minutes. In fact I never have time to completely stop to get out my ID before getting to the agent. 

36 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I have global entry and have never been in security line more than 10 minutes. In fact I never have time to completely stop to get out my ID before getting to the agent. 

I do not, I’m guessing many don’t, hence the lines.

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Global Entry is only for going through customs and immigration. Security is TSA. A lot of people have TSA Pre Check. 

Global Entry includes TSA Pre Check privileges. 

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions/what-difference-between-global-entry-tsa-precheckr-and-other#:~:text=Global Entry provides expedited U.S.,as part of their membership.

"FAQ

What is the difference between Global Entry, TSA PreCheck® and the other Trusted Traveler programs?

TSA PreCheck® and Global Entry are both Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Trusted Traveler Programs. TSA PreCheck® provides expedited security screening benefits for flights departing from U.S. Airports. Global Entry provides expedited U.S. customs screening for international air travelers when entering the United States. Global Entry members also receive TSA PreCheck® benefits as part of their membership."

Edited by njhorseman

14 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Global Entry includes TSA Pre Check privileges. 

Yes, I know that. I have Pre Check through Global Entry. The person I was replying to I though was saying that many probably don't have Global Entry which is true. But many do have Pre Check. Most who have Pre Check probably don't have Global Entry. 

Edited by Charles4515

22 hours ago, mandersen12345 said:

If there are issues and we miss the boat, can we contact Royal and get ourselves to the first port (Port Canaveral) and board there?

While you did not provide the details of the upcoming cruise, most sailings of Royal Caribbean International from Bayonne, New Jersey, that transit Port Canaveral, Florida, have the following itinerary.

Sunday: Bayonne, N.J.

Monday: at sea

Tuesday: Port Canaveral, Fla.

Wednesday: Coco Cay, Bahamas

Thursday: Nassau, Bahamas

Friday: at sea

Saturday: at sea

Sunday: Bayonne, N.J.

Were you to miss the departure from Bayonne, Royal Caribbean International would likely not permit you to board the vessel at Port Canaveral because doing so would cause the cruise line to violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act and subject it to a fine. The violation would occur because, by embarking the vessel at Port Canaveral, and disembarking the vessel in Bayonne, the result would be the transportation of passengers between two distinct U.S. ports by a foreign flag carrier, constituting unlawful cabotage. (There would be an exception if the itinerary included a stop in Aruba, Bonarie, Curaçao, South America, or some other distant foreign port, and in that case you could be transported by foreign flag vessel, from Port Canaveral to Bayonne. But the itinerary does not, nor does any one-week cruise itinerary from the northeastern United States.) The amount of the fine is $941 per person, and thus your group of five persons would cause the cruise line to pay a fine of $4,705. It is possible that Royal Caribbean might allow boarding if you made it worth their while to accept the fine imposition (perhaps you offering to pay, say, $10,000 to Royal Caribbean International), but it would be within the discretion of the cruise line to do so. This would cause you to miss two days of your week-long cruise. Otherwise, you would not be able to board at Coco Cay either because there is no regular transportation available to that island. The only remaining option would be to fly to Nassau, and embark there on Thursday.One-way tickets between Newark and Nassau, purchased on short notice, would typically cost between $150 and $200 per person, or between $750 and $1,000 total for your group of five persons. Doing so would allow you to recover two days at sea from your week-long cruise  At such point it may not be worthwhile trying to so salvage, depending on how much you have already invested in the cruise fare.

Best thing is not to risk missing embarkation in Bayonne.

2 hours ago, GTJ said:

The amount of the fine is $941 per person, and thus your group of five persons would cause the cruise line to pay a fine of $4,705. It is possible that Royal Caribbean might allow boarding if you made it worth their while to accept the fine imposition (perhaps you offering to pay, say, $10,000 to Royal Caribbean International), but it would be within the discretion of the cruise line to do so.

Not going to happen. Royal Caribbean is not going to violate the law. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Or perhaps purchase cruise insurance including trip interruption coverage. 

The event that one would desired to be insured against is the failure to make a same-day connection between a scheduled flight and a scheduled cruise, using ground transportation in-between. Trip interruption insurance covers unexpected events that cause a trip to be cut short, so that would, seemingly, provide for transportation of everyone from Newark or Bayonne back home, but they still miss their cruise and what they paid for it. Maybe trip delay insurance, but that just covers meals and hotels until they are able to resume their trip. Neither of these seem to be the coverage desired (and even if covered, insurance could not restore the portion of the cruise missed). Moreover, the insurer might well take the position that missing the connection was reasonably foreseeable--not enough time was allocated for the connection--and therefore the consequences would not be covered. I am not certain that I see insurance as a panacea. See http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/travel/trip-cancellation/travel-delay-trip-interruption-trip-cancellation.htm.