New to Princess: Can you Check my Princess Plus Math

Generator515

My wife and I decided to sail the Ruby Princess to Alaska next July with our two kids (9 and 5). Neither of us have ever sailed Princess before (NCL and CCL) and it’s been forever since sailed at all. 

I am running the math on whether to do Princess Plus or not. Am I missing anything below?

Deal I got brings Plus down to basically $50 a day. $16 of that goes to gratuities (leaving $34). We’d use the two casual meals knocking about $2 a day off. We’d probably buy ice cream with kids as a treat; at $3 gelato price x2 knocks another $6 off. Things brings it down to about $26 left to cover which would be about two wines at dinner, a juice and a wine, or bottled water never mind any value from internet?

sorry if a rudimentary question. 

Here's a different approach.

Crew Appreciation $16(Inside/ocean view) to $18 (CC mini/suite) per person

Wifi $15 a day per person

Difference is for "extras" wine/cokes/other charges.

First two passengers have to pay the same.  Children can be excluded (but you need to still factor in Crew Appreciation daily x 2)

These are standard "deductions". All else is fluff.

You mentioned $50 for plus.  How was that special included?  With or without all the recent changes?  Current price is $60/$80

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Soft serve ice cream is included with your fare if the kids can handle that instead of Gelato.

There are a lot of "free" foods from Princess:

Slice (Pizza)

Salty Dog GRILL (Hamburgers/Hot Dogs/Tacos)

International Cafe (Cookies/sandwiches/snacks/breakfast)

Lemonade, coffee, tea, in Buffet

Hot chocolate/chocolate milk in MDR

Made to order omelettes (buffet)

Scones/clotted creme after 3 PM in the buffet.

Soft serve ice cream in cups or cones ... with sprinkles

Ice cream is served every lunch in the MDR.  You can even get a banana split in the evenings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Generator515 said:

My wife and I decided to sail the Ruby Princess to Alaska next July with our two kids (9 and 5). Neither of us have ever sailed Princess before (NCL and CCL) and it’s been forever since sailed at all. 

I am running the math on whether to do Princess Plus or not. Am I missing anything below?

Deal I got brings Plus down to basically $50 a day. $16 of that goes to gratuities (leaving $34). We’d use the two casual meals knocking about $2 a day off. We’d probably buy ice cream with kids as a treat; at $3 gelato price x2 knocks another $6 off. Things brings it down to about $26 left to cover which would be about two wines at dinner, a juice and a wine, or bottled water never mind any value from internet?

sorry if a rudimentary question. 

I don't book the packages.  We book Standard and have other benefits and also don't drink much from bars and bring my own wine.

Based on your post, I would recommend you get the Plus for the required two adults minimum and not get it for the kids.  It is optional for 3rd and 4th passengers if you are sailing in a single cabin.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Generator515 said:

at $3 gelato price x2 knocks another $6 off.

You get 2 specialty desserts a day, not per cruise and a 2 Specialty Dessert package is about $12) So that's $6 each for as many days as you get them. (In my calculations, I figured maybe 3 per cruise; no way I'm eating 2 massive desserts a day). Most desserts are included so I figured dh and I might not eat *any* specialty desserts. But the sundaes look like they were designed to appeal to kids so you'll probably eat more of them my husband and I will. 🙂

I made a spreadsheet with the price of everything included then added up only the stuff I thought I'd use. It came out to about $20 per day left over for drinks. But since soda, bottled water, and lots of other drinks we'd want aren't included in the standard fare, it turned out to be worth it for us even though we don't drink a lot of alcohol. YMMV

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Here's a different approach.

Crew Appreciation $16(Inside/ocean view) to $18 (CC mini/suite) per person

Wifi $15 a day per person

Difference is for "extras" wine/cokes/other charges.

First two passengers have to pay the same.  Children can be excluded (but you need to still factor in Crew Appreciation daily x 2)

These are standard "deductions". All else is fluff.

Just so you know crew appreciation is a suggestion/optional and you could adjust the rate at guest services. Since there is still only one cabin to clean and one bathroom but extra beds I personally would reduce the children's crew appreciation to half the suggested amount.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

You must not have children.  I drink far less now that they’re grown up and moved out.

Our youngest (38) and her daughter (4½) have been living with us for the past 2 months. My alcohol intake spiked significantly. They have just moved out and I haven't had a drink of any kind since. Definite stress. (Our daughter's life seems to be drama at all times.) Some species eat their children...

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

43 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Just so you know crew appreciation is a suggestion/optional and you could adjust the rate at guest services. Since there is still only one cabin to clean and one bathroom but extra beds I personally would reduce the children's crew appreciation to half the suggested amount.

Respectfully disagree wth reducing crew appreciation for children.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

AFAIK, not if you buy Plus or Premium.

• Like 2

Your general approach is reasonable.  As a general rule it's not hard to get value out of the package if you have a couple alcoholic drinks.  At $50 even less, maybe none if you're using the other stuff to the fullest extent. 

My Math:

Cost $60

vs

Items included that I would pay for even if I didn't have the package:

Wi-fi ($7.50 Platinum)

Crew Appreciation ($17 mini-suite)

Coffee + Bottled Water ~$5/day

This totals $29.50 and doesn't account for the casual dining, Desserts, Oceannow, or Room service delivery, so it's on the low end, but that's fine, those things aren't likely to make a huge difference...could maybe add another $5-6 of value per day for those things if you really wanted to get exact.

After the $29.50 I need to cover $30.50 in drinks.  My standard is a Grey Goose + tonic is $10.  I only need 3 of those and I'm about even. Even less when you throw in the other inclusions that I'm not. Challenge Accepted.

Some people consume similar to me and find ways to make a more robust OBC work for covering a lot of these and thus can avoid paying for the package...which is fine, there's a lot of different ways to slice it.  I don't typically have a mountain of OBC, so this works for me. 

Edited by PMGS247
  • Like 2

@PMGS247 All good numbers, but OP is new to Princess.  WiFi will cost them $15.00 pp/pd.  

I wish OP a lot of luck trying to come up with a workable plan.  Sometimes convenience is worth the extra money. 

If it is only for a week...

If it is port intensive....

If they aren't "big" drinkers...

If they want to relax and not worry about every twist and turn....

There are ways to do a cruise on a budget.  But it takes lots and lots and lots of planning.  

@Generator515  Here's my best advice.  You mentioned getting the FULL Plus Princess Beverage Package (or what ever it is called for wifi/tips/drinks) at $50.  Lock it in now.  You can always remove it when final payment is due.  Then you won't be under the stress of do I do it or not.

• Like 3

Thanks all. Booked my deposit tonight for July 2024. Went with the Princess Plus. Will be close to breaking even but figure for the ease of things and to avoid us skimping since we know being charged just went for it. 

can’t see myself reducing gratuities. In scheme of things that ~$250 means a lot more to the crew than me and sure kids will produce their share of a mess. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I'll have mine with no almond slivers and no sprinkles.  Don't like mixing nuts and ice cream. 

PS - @Lucky TGO.  I knew yesterday that you would be posting the photo as soon as I read someone mentioning the dessert!!  Hope you are doing well, T.

And here we differ....I don't need the sprinkles, but almonds are a must.  But chocolate and peanut butter alone are wonderful, they do not belong together.  

Volcano may be gone from Kids' menu, but it's on the adult menu as make your own sundae.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

And here we differ....I don't need the sprinkles, but almonds are a must.  But chocolate and peanut butter alone are wonderful, they do not belong together.  

Volcano may be gone from Kids' menu, but it's on the adult menu as make your own sundae.

Just remembered one of the most memorable drinks we had was a volcano pina colada on Hawaii (Big Island) on west coast at one of the hotels, looking out over the ocean.  This was a long time ago, but that drink not only looked great, it tasted great.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Just remembered one of the most memorable drinks we had was a volcano pina colada on Hawaii (Big Island) on west coast at one of the hotels, looking out over the ocean.  This was a long time ago, but that drink not only looked great, it tasted great.

You've got to stop disillusioning me.  I don't like pineapple and/or coconut either.  I agree with you, island sunsets are beautiful.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Wow I can’t believe it no volcano on the menu 😡 let’s start a petition we want the volcano back on the menu. I’ll be the first to sign Tony The Captain Of The Rowboat 🥰 

BTW thanks for the best wishes Steelers36

Tony

IMG_1393.jpeg

DSCN1172.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You just talked me into trying one.😋

Tony

• Like 1