PAYING for Pizza in Sorrento’s

20 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

The same reason people go on the ship and eat at Golden Corral (aka Windjammer).

At least the Windjammer is included in the cruise fare. But to your point, everyone cruises for their own reasons. No one needs to worry about the choices that other people make.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Love the windjammer. More choice, less fuss. Can try lots of different foods. 

The MDR is not fine dining......just lomg winded table service IMO. 

And the best chance at picking a screaming case of Covid from all the snot wiping tong grabbers. I’m sure that’s where I got Covid on Allure three weeks ago. 

13 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I am riding out the last two reservations I made over a year ago at much better prices than available now.

I have one for next year at a very good price.

I will only tolerate once a day room service and reduced menu options both in the Windjammer and Main Dining room if I can get an excellent price.

Considering that I used to do three cruises a year, I am already slowing down my cruise reservations and dollars.

I know the law of supply and demand. I am more than happy to let someone else demand a cruise at a higher price. I have my limits and will cruise less until I see a reasonable balance between excellent service and  price.

I also got my cruise for next year at a wildly low price compared to its current booking price.  And this cruise (a holiday week) I'd never book at its current prices, so I'm not planning on cruising in 2025 or beyond til the value (pricing meets benefits) links up to what I have for my 2024 cruise.  I went through a few dry spells in cruising and have switched between 3 lines, so I have no loyalty and no real loyalty benefits to lose, so it's very easy for me to find equivalent value or better land based fun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:
1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I'll never understand Johnny Rockets. Why would I want to go on a ship just to eat the same fast food I can get at home?

The same reason people go on the ship and eat at Golden Corral (aka Windjammer)

But at least I'm eating at the Ship version of Golden Corral for free 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I went through a few dry spells in cruising and have switched between 3 lines, so I have no loyalty and no real loyalty benefits to lose, so it's very easy for me to find equivalent value or better land based fun.

I know that some of the land based fun have raised their prices and are now getting a bit of push-back forcing them to off discounts on park reservations, hotel reservations, enhancement of black-out dates, etc., etc.

I have read on these forums how "everything has gone up" in price. I have no problem with price increases if the quality of the product remains the same or goes up with it.

As the price point of cruising approaches land-based options, I am with you and ready to "find equivalent value or better land based fun."

Currently, there is a 9 Day Cruise out of Bayonne in November (not over the Thanksgiving Holiday). The spacious ocean balcony was advertised for $4,300 for room and tax. Add another $288 (suggested gratuity). This does not include a Unlimited Drink Package of around $1,338 for two people (2 people at 30% discount) including mandatory gratuity. An Unlimited Dining package (including current discount of 30%) is $665 to include gratuities.

I think I can get a decent 9 day land vacation in November for two adults with the $7000 in cruise cost.

As you know, we have other options. 😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Currently, there is a 9 Day Cruise out of Bayonne in November (not over the Thanksgiving Holiday). The spacious ocean balcony was advertised for $4,300 for room and tax. Add another $288 (suggested gratuity). This does not include a Unlimited Drink Package of around $1,338 for two people (2 people at 30% discount) including mandatory gratuity. An Unlimited Dining package (including current discount of 30%) is $665 to include gratuities.

I think I can get a decent 9 day land vacation in November for two adults with the $7000 in cruise cost.

I booked a 9-night CA/NE in September from Bayonne for $1200 solo, but it's a closet (aka inside), not a spacious balcony.  But I also booked a 14-night TA on Oasis for $1200 solo in an OV balcony.

Edited by Another_Critic

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I'll never understand Johnny Rockets. Why would I want to go on a ship just to eat the same fast food I can get at home?

It used to be a free perk. I can remember eating there for free, milkshake extra. It made sense as a once a cruise treat. 

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I was looking at the President’s cruise next year. Outrageous prices. $4770 pp for a JS. $10k for 7 days in a JS? And that’s not including airfare.  Maybe there are people dumb enough to pay these prices, but I’m not one of them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

What do you feel you can not get at home that you can on a cruise? Much of the dining experience on cruises is no longer refined dining that cannot be gotten at home.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

More crowds at breakfast and lunch.  😞  Haven't done WJ at dinner. 

Since my next cruise I'll be solo, I may actually try the WJ a time or two for dinner.

I love the Windjammer for dinner. Unfortunately, many more people are now taking that option so it is not the quiet venue that it used to be. However, it still suits me just fine. Going a bit later works best for me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cruisegoer said:

What do you feel you can not get at home that you can on a cruise? Much of the dining experience on cruises is no longer refined dining that cannot be gotten at home.

For me, it isn't just about the meal (although the Hibachi on RCCL is much better than any land-based that I've been to), or even the quality of the meal, as long as it's not poor, it's the whole package, the meal, the location, the atmosphere, the service, and so much more.  When I cruise, the ship and ocean are my destinations, not necessarily the itinerary/ports of call.  But, that's just me!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love the Windjammer for dinner. Unfortunately, many more people are now taking that option so it is not the quiet venue that it used to be. However, it still suits me just fine. Going a bit later works best for me.

And it will probably only get more crowded/louder, since MTD is often a zoo.  And early seating is too early and late seating is too late.

8 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

For me, it isn't just about the meal (although the Hibachi on RCCL is much better than any land-based that I've been to), or even the quality of the meal, as long as it's not poor, it's the whole package, the meal, the location, the atmosphere, the service, and so much more.  When I cruise, the ship and ocean are my destinations, not necessarily the itinerary/ports of call.  But, that's just me!

I agree but the days of enjoying menu selections at sea that cannot be found at home are over. Plenty of indian, thai, italian, mexican, fast foodish type places in any city.

• Like 2

Just now, Cruisegoer said:

I agree but the days of enjoying menu selections at sea that cannot be found at home are over. Plenty of indian, thai, italian, mexican, fast foodish type places in any city.

Yes, there is that!

16 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

These 2 bolds are a bit contradictory .

Agree to an extent about specialty VS MDR except , until MDR is not an option at all , (which I have surmised may be their end game) , I will not pay an upcharge for a better quality dining experience , but instead enjoy the included food experience as best I can

Cheers

I will never pay for another specialty dining on RC again.  Last cruise, we did Wonderland and the food was really just OK.  The staff performance was lacking in any kind of enthusiasm.  From what the waiter said, it sounded like they were chewed out by some mgr of RC and they were very down.  Of note is that we paid top price since our dinner was not purchased as part of one of their specials, like 3 nts specialty or the unlimited pkg. 

I would rather spend my $ on nice restaurants in the ports.  We went to a Michelin-star restaurant in Amalfi, and it was awesome.  IMO, The specialty RC restaurants are on par with average restaurants we can go to at home.  

16 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

That's fairly similar to how I feel. I do like to eat a lot on cruises but I don't need fancy or gourmet. Like you, it's about the unique experience of being on an Oasis class cruise ship.

Of course you can find most of this stuff on land but not all in one place while floating in the ocean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

That's fairly similar to how I feel. I do like to eat a lot on cruises but I don't need fancy or gourmet. Like you, it's about the unique experience of being on an Oasis class cruise ship.

Of course you can find most of this stuff on land but not all in one place while floating in the ocean.

YES!

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I know that some of the land based fun have raised their prices and are now getting a bit of push-back forcing them to off discounts on park reservations, hotel reservations, enhancement of black-out dates, etc., etc.

I have read on these forums how "everything has gone up" in price. I have no problem with price increases if the quality of the product remains the same or goes up with it.

As the price point of cruising approaches land-based options, I am with you and ready to "find equivalent value or better land based fun."

Unfortunately, that's not the way inflation works. Just about everything has gone up. Has the quality of gas gotten better, quality of food in the supermarket? Houses that were $250,000 a few years back are now $400,000 for exactly the same house, and borrowing costs have gone from 3% to 7%. And the cruise lines have gotten hit with the same inflation costs and were shut down for 18 months on top of that. Have to be realistic. 

And everybody who keeps talking about land based vacations, I have to laugh. Cost of gas? Hotels? restaurants? Admission to attractions, etc?

52 minutes ago, nferr said:

Unfortunately, that's not the way inflation works. Just about everything has gone up. Has the quality of gas gotten better, quality of food in the supermarket? Houses that were $250,000 a few years back are now $400,000 for exactly the same house, and borrowing costs have gone from 3% to 7%. And the cruise lines have gotten hit with the same inflation costs and were shut down for 18 months on top of that. Have to be realistic. 

And everybody who keeps talking about land based vacations, I have to laugh. Cost of gas? Hotels? restaurants? Admission to attractions, etc?

There are a lot of ways to save on those types of vacations, especially with a party of 6, like my crew is, that are not available as savings for cruises.

For a similar driving vacation (which my future cruise in 2024 and my land based vacation in 2023 was), I can price all the different components for land based and get best value.  For a cruise based, I'm getting all the pricing from one company for all the components, so it's harder to get best value.

For the record, my 2024 cruise vacation will be my most expensive vacation of the past few years (aka - post Covid), and that includes a themepark vacation (Universal) to Orlando (with air) in 2021, a trip to Las Vegas (with air) in 2021 (with 2020's vacation money), a trip to Colonial Williamsburg/Busch Gardens in 2022, and a Myrtle Beach vacation in 2023. 

But the cruise was at least close, and being close, I find a lot of value b/c I wanted to give my kids the experience b/c they like going international and they like being on a boat as a change of pace vacation where the fun is brought to them vs going to the fun.  It's our 1st cruise since 2018 (where we had cruised 5 of the previous 7 years then) just b/c we waited for pricing to match value and convenience.

PS - Since the price of the cruise has more than doubled since I booked it, it would no longer be close, and thus in 2025, at this pricing, I would not book another.  I know I can find a better value land based vacation that will make my kids and my wallet just as happy.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1