Orlando hotel - by airport or Port Canaveral?

tomsah

Hello all,

hoping for some good advice and guidance from you!

My 16-year old son and I will be arriving at MCO Friday Oct 27, probably late (10-11 pm).

On Sunday Oct 29 we will cruise with MSC Seaside from Port Canaveral, embarkation 11:30 am.

We'll need transportation from airport to hotel on arrival, then from hotel to terminal Sunday morning, then on the following Sunday Nov 5 from MSC terminal back to the airport.

1) Would you recommend getting a hotel close to the airport, or close to Port Canaveral? Pros and cons?

2) I've read about complete packages, including all needed transportation and hotel accomodation. Does anyone have experience of that?

many thanks in advance  /Tommy

21 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Arriving at that time, I would definitely stay near MCO. Nobody at MCO will provide a shuttle. There are several shuttle companies recommended here frequently. 

Thanks, that sounds sensible! Any recommendations or thoughts regarding specific hotels? We don't have any specific requirements, except walking distance to somewhere decent to eat!

Have you thought about renting a car? I wouldn't want to spend Saturday at an airport hotel. Rent a car, drive to a beach area hotel, turn the car in on Sunday morning. For 2, the cruise line's transport back to the airport is a good option.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Hyatt right in the Orlando airport. The lobby is just upstairs from baggage claim so very convenient if arriving on a late flight. We used Cortrans shuttle to take us to the ship and then back to the airport after the cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tomsah said:

Hello all,

My 16-year old son and I will be arriving at MCO Friday Oct 27, probably late (10-11 pm).

On Sunday Oct 29 we will cruise with MSC Seaside from Port Canaveral, embarkation 11:30 am.

We'll need transportation from airport to hotel on arrival, then from hotel to terminal Sunday morning, then on the following Sunday Nov 5 from MSC terminal back to the airport.

1) Would you recommend getting a hotel close to the airport, or close to Port Canaveral? Pros and cons?

2) I've read about complete packages, including all needed transportation and hotel accomodation. Does anyone have experience of that?

check with GoPort…..they have packages that will take care of everything including your hotel….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomsah said:

Hello all,

https://www.goport.com/

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 2:43 AM, hrhdhd said:

Have you thought about renting a car? I wouldn't want to spend Saturday at an airport hotel. Rent a car, drive to a beach area hotel, turn the car in on Sunday morning. For 2, the cruise line's transport back to the airport is a good option.

Thanks for your input! If we had more time, we certainly would. But we're getting in late Friday night after a very long flight (from Sweden) and leaving Sunday morning, so I want to keep things as simple as possible so we can just relax for a day, get adjusted to the time zone etc.

On 8/11/2023 at 3:54 AM, Marie51 said:

We stayed at the Hyatt right in the Orlando airport. The lobby is just upstairs from baggage claim so very convenient if arriving on a late flight. We used Cortrans shuttle to take us to the ship and then back to the airport after the cruise.

Thanks for that tip, I will check it out!

U would stay at one of the hotels just outside the airport. Most have shuttles from the airport to the hotel. There are plenty of places to dine near those hotels. Hang out by the hotel pool Saturday and relax from that long flight then get one of the shuttles to the cruise port. We like Cortans shuttle. www.cortrans-shuttle.com

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tomsah said:

Thanks for your input! If we had more time, we certainly would. But we're getting in late Friday night after a very long flight (from Sweden) and leaving Sunday morning, so I want to keep things as simple as possible so we can just relax for a day, get adjusted to the time zone etc.

Just an aside, my grandfather was born in Malmo.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Doubletree by the airport in June.  Our flight arrived at 1:30AM and they have a shuttle 24/7.  Called the hotel to request the shuttle, she told us exactly where to wait and in about 15-20 the shuttle arrived.  checked in and went to sleep.  

Got up the next morning, walked across the street to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.   Then took an uber to the the port.  I think the Uber was like $115. Very easy and simple.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

would love to hear from others who have stayed there!

Have not stayed there but I'm a local so here's some hints:

- there really aren't many places in Cocoa Beach 'right on the water' so from that perspective the place looks good. Come back and tell us what YOU think....

- you are walking distance to Ron Jon a HUGE tourist trap / souvenir shop where you can find almost ANYTHING with RON JON printed on it! On the other hand I just went shopping there last week as I was looking for a bathing suit and some flip-flops and while the prices are not the best the selection for 'beach wear' is unsurpassed.   https://www.ronjonsurfshop.com/store/cocoa-beach

- the beach from the port to Sebastian is 'unbroken' for 40+ miles .... how's a LONG beach walk sound? At low tide the sand is hard enough to support a 'beach cruiser' bike and you can ride the beach - rentals can be found many places .... INCLUDING Ron Jon!

- just a lil walk to the north is Sand Bar Sports Grill with a decent menu of Florida and Island classics in a VERY relaxed setting https://www.sandbarsportsgrill.net/all-day-eating

- about 1.2k or a short UBER ride is Cocoa Beach Pier with several eating and drinking places including a bar at the end of the pier  https://www.cocoabeachpier.com/

- want to explore in a different and exciting way: https://www.floridaslingshotrentals.com/

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 5:15 PM, tomsah said:

Thanks everyone for all the great input! Luckily, we found a better flight landing at MCO at 3:30 pm, so we switched courses and instead booked 2 nights at The Inn at Cocoa Beach. It seems perfect for us, would love to hear from others who have stayed there!
Home - The Inn at Cocoa Beach

We stayed at The Inn at Cocoa Beach last February for almost a week while on a bike tour of the Space Coast.  It is lovely - a very nice change from big, sterile hotels - and the management and staff were great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 1:34 PM, Capt_BJ said:

- you are walking distance to Ron Jon a HUGE tourist trap / souvenir shop where you can find almost ANYTHING with RON JON printed on it!

A Ron Jon t-shirt will make your 16 year old the coolest kid in Gotteberg.

P0.jpg

• Like 1