Upgrade Offer from Cove Balcony to Standard Balcony

ACeruland

Currently booked in a cove balcony on deck 5 of the Mardi Gras for the 12/1 sailing and got an email from Carnival with an offer to upgrade to a standard balcony on a higher deck. I'm not convinced it is truly an upgrade, but this would be my first time in a stateroom on a low deck. Are there any pitfalls to deck 5 that I'm not thinking of? (I've checked the deck plans to see what is above/below and no concerns there.) Will we have more elevator issues than if we were higher? We plan to take the stairs down as much as possible, but probably won't be able to take stairs up more than one or two decks due to knee issues.

• Like 1

Depends on what deck they offered? 11 or 12 is normally the highest we will do on Excel class. Also depends on location of front/mid/back vs what you have now. Only thing about cove would be if rough seas/bad weather they would lock the balcony door and you couldn't go outside.

• Like 2

*I* wouldn't do it. To me, that's a downgrade. I'll take a cove balcony over a regular balcony every single time. They're so much better imho.

As far as "locking the door", I have seen that said before. However we've sat on a cove balcony on more than 1 occasion during a tropical storm and enjoyed watching the waves. Nobody had their balcony closed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I much prefer the lower decks and cove balconies (especially on those huge ships). Deck 5 on Mardi Gras is a great location in my opinion.

But I love Carnival's marketing (higher is always an upgrade according to them).  Do whatever you need to do to bring in revenue/get that stock price back up Carnival! 🙂

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd prefer the Cove as well, and on the Mardi Gras they are a bit higher up than on other ships in the fleet so I doubt you'd run into the door being locked due to weather (although there's always a chance). I always found their idea of an upgrade from the coves to "standard" to be a weird way to put it. Maybe some folks see it as an upgrade, but I see it as a lateral switch not worthy of paying more for.

• Like 1

We have our first cove balcony booked on the Celebration for October 1. I received the upgrade offer and immediately turned it down based on the rave reviews from so many people here on CC.  That many people can’t be wrong!  We also enjoy odd or unusual cabins over the standard cabins that can be booked on any ship. 

• Like 2

I've heard that carnival will offer people "upgrades" to less desirable rooms, because it's easier to sell the room that has already sold. If that makes sense. They're trying to get you to take a room that's not selling so that they can resell the popular one that you have. Gotta fill that ship baby!

Edited by Dwright826
  • Like 1