Seward ideas?

Adara

Cruise departs out of Seward early September.  I'm flying in Anchorage a few days early, taking the Alaska Railroad down.  Then I'll have a couple days to kill in Seward.  (Perhaps I miscalculated and should've put an extra day in Anchorage instead, but hotels are booked and it is what it is.)  So, Kenai Fjords.  What else?

I add the following restriction:  I'm not a hiker and not nearly as active as I used to be.  (Do not want to spend the cruise nursing my wonky hip and regretting pushing too hard before I even got on the ship.)  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Look online for visitor information for Seward,  It is a much better place to spend your free time than Anchorage.  You can rent a car in Seward to visit the Turnagain Arm area and the Animal Conservation Center.  In Seward itself is a Sealife Center.  Just outside of town is Exit Glacier and Seavey Iditarod dog training area.  You already mentioned the Kenai Fjords cruise opportunities.

Much to choose from and nothing too strenuous in the above list.

• Like 3

I also think our OP made the correct decision to spend time in Seward versus an extra day in Anchorage.

And I would seriously consider renting a car.  With a car our OP can visit Turnagain Arm, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, take the tram at Alyeska Resort, or even time the tunnel and drive into Whittier.  Alternatively our OP could drive to Homer which is my favorite small coastal town accessible by road.  

• Like 2

Agree wholeheartedly that extra time in Seward wins over Anchorage.

Road trip suggestions .

My additional advice to a road trip…beautiful… allow yourself EXTRA time to and from destinations as you will want to stop along the way for views, historic sites, tiny towns, etc.  Gas up your car wherever available.. stations may be limited along the way.

Study the Seward Highway as well as the Sterling Highway (toHomer) routes on MILEPOST ALASKA or BELLS ALASKA for mile by mile info.

Book a rental well in advance in order to reserve a car!  ( possibly only HERTZ available in Seward.)

or…

don’t rent a car and enjoy much that Seward and Kenai fiords has to offer!

i think you will be happy with any choice!!

• Like 2

I agree w posters who say get a rental so that you are not just stuck downtown and have limited options.  Yes, I do think the Sealife Center and KF Tours are worth it, but if you can get a car, you can get into some great things to do.  

I am DOUBTFUL you will get a car this late.  Not knowing your cruise dates, I put in some bogus dates on TURO in Seward and there were vehicles available.  I have used Turo successfully; it's like an Air Bnb for cars.  Check the ratings.  I did see some 5 star ratings, and being that it's Seward, the car will probably be close by.  So, that is an option.  

I like the nooks and crannies of places.  Last summer, we had a wedding down in Seward and we stayed right near Miller's Landing.  I always thought of it as kind of well worn, but we walked a block to Miller's Landing and had a nice breakfast and decent coffee and watched all the people getting ready to go out fishing.  Very nice views from there of the bay.  Don't worry about the bumpy road; it's only a few miles.  The road to ML is right next to the Sealife Center to the right following the bay. 

Go over to Resurrection Art Coffee House for some coffee and pastries.  It's not same old same old.  You will enjoy it; trust me.  Then head out to Exit Glacier.  I noticed you talked about not hiking.  You can drive to the visitor's center to get a sense of it and see the signs from where the glacier has receded.  Pretty interesting.  The glacier is viewable from the road.  If you can walk up to the face of the glacier on the well established walkway; it's worth it.  Trust me.  Make it an adventure.  You are not just here for the cruise and you gave yourself extra days which many people don't and it's a shame they don't. 

I like the other posters talking about a rental car and going to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and then I suggest Girdwood for dinner.  Sure, it's a day trip, but the drive is lovely and there are photo ops along the way.  In Girdwood, if you go, I suggest Jack Sprat; opens at 4 for dinner.  No reservations.  The Double Musky also a favorite opens at 5.  No reservations.  Lines do form so the earlier the better.  You can take the Tram from the Alyeska Hotel up the mountain for fabulous views and you can get a little walk in up there.  You will have views of the Turnagain Arm and the glaciers.  There is a snack shop up there; don't eat there.  Save your dinner for the suggestions I gave.  

If you are interested in this kind of thing; let us know and we can give an itinerary of more suggestions and times needed.  You built in extra days which many cruisers do not; they fly in and get to their cruise.  Our state has so much to offer.  Allow yourself some additional adventures while you are here. 

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 1

So would you make your decision on booking a Kenai Fjords experience on a CHANCE of getting seasick?  It’s a great experience, so I hope you can do it…no, it is not like canoeing on a lake!  Maybe with a medication it’s doable by calming the unsettled… mentally or physically.

1 hour ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Food for thought...

There have been a few conversations about how rough the waters can be during the Kenai tours.  Lots of people were seasick.

We weren't on any of the 4 or so Kenai boat trips we have taken.  On our most recent trip we got to watch a pod of 4 whales bubble feeding for about 40 minutes.  Awesome.  On another trip we saw a groups of maybe 40 or 50 orcas.  

DON

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Food for thought...

There have been a few conversations about how rough the waters can be during the Kenai tours.  Lots of people were seasick.

You can run into rough waters in September crossing the Gulf of Alaska on the cruise ship.  Kenai Fjords on a sunny day is amazingly beautiful.  

2 hours ago, roupa said:

So would you make your decision on booking a Kenai Fjords experience on a CHANCE of getting seasick?  It’s a great experience, so I hope you can do it…no, it is not like canoeing on a lake!  Maybe with a medication it’s doable by calming the unsettled… mentally or physically.

I would.  I've been on the KF Tour and it was so rough and all I can say is that I kissed the ground when I got back.  Maybe they should NOT have gone out.  One thing I do suggest is that the day of if tickets are still available is to check the marine weather at the Harbor Masters office which is right by where the tour is.  If seas are high, then make a decision. I also suggest people to the 26 Glacier Cruise as an alternative.  Yea, nothing worse than being seasick and if you are prone, the other option are the drugs but that makes some people groggy.  It's just not fun. 

Edited by AKJonesy

This is useful.  I was actually wondering about waiting to book KF when I'm there and can have an idea about weather.  I had been thinking in terms of just being out in it, but seasickness is something I'll also factor in.  With a few days to choose from, I hope I'll have one with calmish seas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adara said:

This is useful.  I was actually wondering about waiting to book KF when I'm there and can have an idea about weather.  I had been thinking in terms of just being out in it, but seasickness is something I'll also factor in.  With a few days to choose from, I hope I'll have one with calmish seas.

If you question going to KF, maybe a cruise to Resurrection Bay for wildlife viewing would be better.  That was what we opted for.  It was through our cruise line.

• Like 1