Essiesmom sails Seaside 8/13 and 8/17, hopefully live…

Essiesmom

13 hours ago, jcpc said:

A few years back I did a 4 night followed by a 5 night on Constellation from Miami…in the Penthouse.  I looked at it as a 9-night cruise but I was sadly mistaken.  I found a totally different type of passenger sails on 4 and 5 night cruises.  Although I hate this term they were 2 “booze cruises”…….shorts, tanks tops and sneakers were the evening mode of dress for the majority of men.  We made the best of it but it truly was a Charlie Foxtrot (to steal one of your terms, which I will be using in the future by the way….LOL).  I’m thinking you will NOT be running into this on the Ascent pre-maiden voyages as I think most of those passengers will be seasoned Celebrity cruisers looking to experience the new ship).

Yikes!  I didn't even think about the possibility of the 4/3 nighter being a booze-cruise and I hope you're right about this perhaps, not being the case for the Ascent's pre-maiden voyage.  In fact, maybe it's not even all that publicized.  When we booked it several months ago, it wasn't even listed on my TA's website...it is now, though.  Even though it is a Thanksgiving cruise, it sails mid-week in the first leg...I guess the second leg could be a boozer...at least in your PH you could escape the madness ☺️.

13 hours ago, jcpc said:

We made the best of it but it truly was a Charlie Foxtrot (to steal one of your terms, which I will be using in the future by the way….LOL).

🤣  Happy to help out!

1 hour ago, dns20 said:

Any particular reason for doing this 4/3 b2b instead of the 7 day that goes to OC overnight and Mexico?

It was almost a desperation thing.  I was having trouble booking as a solo and when I found the 3 day, I booked it.  And I needed an MSC cruise to keep Diamond status.   But right away I was thinking about doing the 4 day up front, so booked it the next day.    Now I need to go looking again.  
  I’m home now,  got on the road by 0825.  Other than the express walk off people, I was in the second group.  But for those who haven’t debarked at PC, it’s not well organized.  They organize your luggage by group number, but the highest numbers are right as you come off the ramp.  Those of us with the lowest numbers had to go all the way past CBP to the far end of the room to find our bags, then go all the way back to get in line to be outfaced.  I say outpaced, because if you have a passport, you don’t even need to show it, just look at the camera and pass through.  

Got to my vehicle and packed it up.  Wound my way out of the garage, the lot, and the terminal areas.  Traffic was not bad on I95 u til after I-4, and there still weren’t many trucks.  In and out of light rain, and saw a rainbow to the west.  
   Driving back, I realized that though I think I saw grits at the Marketplace buffet at breakfast, I didn’t see biscuits and gravy.   SC needs to work on that.  I’m going to miss the sticky buns.  
   If anyone has questions, please ask.  I don’t get involved in a lot of things, so didn’t report on them.  I would have liked to sit out, people watch and do a little needlework…but I found few chairs that were comfortable enough for more than a few minutes.  There are various couches that look great,  it must have had some pillows for your back at the beginning.  Or they were meant for very tall people.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

It was almost a desperation thing.  I was having trouble booking as a solo and when I found the 3 day, I booked it.  And I needed an MSC cruise to keep Diamond status.   But right away I was thinking about doing the 4 day up front, so booked it the next day.    Now I need to go looking again.  
  I’m home now,  got on the road by 0825.  Other than the express walk off people, I was in the second group.  But for those who haven’t debarked at PC, it’s not well organized.  They organize your luggage by group number, but the highest numbers are right as you come off the ramp.  Those of us with the lowest numbers had to go all the way past CBP to the far end of the room to find our bags, then go all the way back to get in line to be outfaced.  I say outpaced, because if you have a passport, you don’t even need to show it, just look at the camera and pass through.  

Got to my vehicle and packed it up.  Wound my way out of the garage, the lot, and the terminal areas.  Traffic was not bad on I95 u til after I-4, and there still weren’t many trucks.  In and out of light rain, and saw a rainbow to the west.  
   Driving back, I realized that though I think I saw grits at the Marketplace buffet at breakfast, I didn’t see biscuits and gravy.   SC needs to work on that.  I’m going to miss the sticky buns.  
   If anyone has questions, please ask.  I don’t get involved in a lot of things, so didn’t report on them.  I would have liked to sit out, people watch and do a little needlework…but I found few chairs that were comfortable enough for more than a few minutes.  There are various couches that look great,  it must have had some pillows for your back at the beginning.  Or they were meant for very tall people.

At 6'5" +, I assure you, nothing in this world, especially a cruise ship, is meant for tall people. 😉

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

And just so I am not quite so anonymous, here are the two pics of me from the trip:  embarkation and diamond party. I don’t do selfies and don’t feel like I look good in picture’s anymore. I do these mostly to document I’ve been there. And to prove to my family that I actually had a glass of wine.

IMG_0256.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2023 at 2:19 PM, JamieLogical said:

As I recall from my trip to Ocean Cay back in April, all of the bathrooms had outdoor showers. Not sure why you were unable to find one.

image.thumb.png.e9722324a5ede46da7035b8d6c859c88.png

My pics finally populated from phone to cloud to iPad and I see what I missed…because at that time I wasn’t looking for it:

IMG_0171.jpeg

@Essiesmom...what a well rounded honest review.  Thanks for taking the time to share with us your experiences.

I applaud you for still traveling and driving to and from port.  My mom is very similar although now at 95 she prefers to stay home.  We last traveled together several years ago.  She still drives and goes to the gym 3x mornings a week.

I really love the photo of you...especially since August 13 is also my birthday I turned 71.

We have our first cruise to Hawaii this coming January but I confess I don't do live reivews.

I really really enjoyed your perspective of these B2B cruises.  Thanks again.

Wonderful review!  I read it on one shot, only finding it today!  I love your sense of humor, honesty, and descriptions of all things - places, people, events - all of it!  What a wonderful photo to cap off your review - you have a beautiful smile!  Cheers 🥂

Bernadette

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ciaranaman said:

Wonderful review!  I read it on one shot, only finding it today!  I love your sense of humor, honesty, and descriptions of all things - places, people, events - all of it!  What a wonderful photo to cap off your review - you have a beautiful smile!  Cheers 🥂

Bernadette

Thanks.  I have had lots of practice writing…. My high school best friend became a librarian, specializing in maps, and her husband taught geography at a small college in PA, to students who were mostly uninterested, thought it would be an easy grade.  They found out differently.  Anyway, they traveled extensively but only in North America.  He had had a short Air Force reserve tour in Germany and a trip to South America.  She wouldn’t fly, and he didn’t like ships, although they did do the Alaska Marine Highway.

Anyway, when I was stationed in Germany I did a lot of traveling and wrote lots of descriptive letters home.  I think my mother sent copies to all the relatives.  After returning to the States I widened my travel sphere.  And I found that my friend’s husband needed slides for his classes.  Pictures of geography, architecture, costume, customs, cemeteries…. Yes, he did a module on death customs.  I also started keeping a nearly daily journal to describe what I saw and what I thought/felt about it.  My first big trip was a bit over two weeks to China in 1983.  A lot more trips followed, and I have many boxes of slides.  I stopped taking slides when he retired in 1996, and no prints after I went digital in 2004.  I stopped keeping a written journal when I started traveling with a laptop.  Not that I minded the writing, but arthritis in the hands made it tedious and not as readable.  And it all had to be typed up when I got home, so with the laptop I could just print it out.  Of course, the notebook was always there in case there was no electricity to charge the computer…like in Mongolia.  One lightbulb three hours in the evening, except on Mondays.  
   When I briefly visited Tunisia in 1978 I realized that I really wanted to visit places that were as different from my upbringing as possible.  My criteria became:  they don’t use the same alphabet, they don’t use the same kind of toilet, and the last criteria added was ‘you can’t drink the water’.
  Anyway, enough of that.  Just glad someone enjoys reading it.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 1:18 PM, jcpc said:

Thanks for your review and all your pictures.  From your review I take it that you may have a bit of a problem with overweight people -- referring to them as plus size female driver of scooter, fluffy lady in a beach wheelchair, and hefty middle-aged woman falling off a barstool.  I personally thought the adjectives of plus-size, fluffy, and hefty were not necessary and actually took away from the entire review.  But as they say - you do you, I'll do me!  Again, thanks for posting.

Wow.  I'm 5'5" and 215 pounds.  I do not have a problem with plus size (factual) and fluffy (that's CUTE, that's adorable, that's actually kind of sweet), hefty is just MEH.  I think it may have had more to do with her maybe being a sloppy drunk.  I'm round.  I used to be built like a flaming BARBIE DOLL, but 2 c-sections and 40 years later, and I look more like my Spirit Animal, Roseanne Barr.  Just saying.

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2023 at 8:44 AM, Essiesmom said:

Thanks.  I have had lots of practice writing…. My high school best friend became a librarian, specializing in maps, and her husband taught geography at a small college in PA, to students who were mostly uninterested, thought it would be an easy grade.  They found out differently.  Anyway, they traveled extensively but only in North America.  He had had a short Air Force reserve tour in Germany and a trip to South America.  She wouldn’t fly, and he didn’t like ships, although they did do the Alaska Marine Highway.

Anyway, when I was stationed in Germany I did a lot of traveling and wrote lots of descriptive letters home.  I think my mother sent copies to all the relatives.  After returning to the States I widened my travel sphere.  And I found that my friend’s husband needed slides for his classes.  Pictures of geography, architecture, costume, customs, cemeteries…. Yes, he did a module on death customs.  I also started keeping a nearly daily journal to describe what I saw and what I thought/felt about it.  My first big trip was a bit over two weeks to China in 1983.  A lot more trips followed, and I have many boxes of slides.  I stopped taking slides when he retired in 1996, and no prints after I went digital in 2004.  I stopped keeping a written journal when I started traveling with a laptop.  Not that I minded the writing, but arthritis in the hands made it tedious and not as readable.  And it all had to be typed up when I got home, so with the laptop I could just print it out.  Of course, the notebook was always there in case there was no electricity to charge the computer…like in Mongolia.  One lightbulb three hours in the evening, except on Mondays.  
   When I briefly visited Tunisia in 1978 I realized that I really wanted to visit places that were as different from my upbringing as possible.  My criteria became:  they don’t use the same alphabet, they don’t use the same kind of toilet, and the last criteria added was ‘you can’t drink the water’.
  Anyway, enough of that.  Just glad someone enjoys reading it.  EM

Dearest Lady !  This was a delightful read, full of good info and even better STORIES !  I'm pretty sure that you and I suffer from the same disease - fernweh - which is German for "homesickness for a place you've never been".  I also love to people watch, they are endlessly entertaining, and you can judge all you want because they can't hear your thoughts.  Many times my judgements are positive and then I get out of my comfort zone and articulate them.  People need to hear the positive when they do something right, or when they are rocking a hair color or outfit.  So many times i've seen people do the right thing and they think nobody sees, but I do, and I say something.  Conversely, be rude and belligerent and I'll hand you your ass.  And I have also been in the position where I have to apologize, to a room full of people or a salesperson, so no holier than thou crap here.

I read this blog because I'm taking a 3 day to Ocean Cay, my first cruise on MSC,with my son's ex-fiance, who we both remain friendly with.  She's going to be 28 October 27 and I was born in 1953, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth! She's a energy bomb that goes off early in the AM and goes all night.  All I care about is sunning and swimming but I'm adding dancing to my bingo card, I draw the line at karaoke.  We were initially on a 7 day but she works 2 jobs and could only get off 6 days, so we'll have a couple days in Orlando, where I can sun and swim some more before heading back to Minnesnowta, which has been promised a Polar Vortex winter this year

Your blog has been delightful.  I'm sorry your beach day was unpleasant but I look forward to being knocked onto my round bottom several times as we have a day and a half of beaches-and I will do them all!  The only information I didn't glean from your blog was COFFEE, or as my husband calls it, my reason for being.  My Italian mother got me started on espresso (and MILK) when I was 3. Is there a really good coffee place onboard?  I don't do lattes, but cappuccinos and Americanos are essential to my mental health and the other passengers wellbeing. (not really joking)  It's an Italian ship, RIGHT??? So that's my only question.

Thanks again for a fun read, and I hope to hear about the coffee onboard the Seaside.

Warm regards,

Kristine

I can’t answer for coffee, because I never learned to like it.  I drink hot and iced tea, in limited quantities because after awhile the tannic acid gives me acid reflux.  So, I’m drawing a blank.  There is a bar in the front of the Marketplace buffet on deck 8 that has coffees.  But as you are in YC, I’m sure you will find coffee easy to find….your butler will be delighted to assist.

As to Ocean Cay, take water shoes, as some beaches are not as good as others.  My experience was at Lighthouse Beach, the closest to the ship, but I understand there is not as much ‘surf’ at some of the others.  Once you are finished bathing, visit one of the toilet buildings.  They have showers on the side where you can rinse sand off body and feet.  I suspect it’s all cold water, but might feel good.   Unfortunately, it is outside so you can’t strip down and wash it all off…as it is not a clothing optional beach.   Hmmm…maybe MSC could consider setting a portion aside….  EM

• Like 1

I posted these pictures on another thread for someone asking about Ocean Cay.  Over the two days, I walked most of it except the separate small island with Bimini Beach and the YC area.  There are shuttles to take you around, but they don’t run very often and fill up fast. 

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_0184.jpeg

IMG_0171.jpeg

IMG_0149.jpeg

IMG_0148.jpeg

IMG_0147.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

IMG_0144.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0141.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexmom said:

Is there a really good coffee place onboard?  I don't do lattes, but cappuccinos and Americanos are essential to my mental health and the other passengers wellbeing. (not really joking)  It's an Italian ship, RIGHT??? So that's my only question.

Most of the interior bars on MSC ships have espresso machines and can make cappuccinos and americanos that are covered under the Easy Plus drink package. Also, many ships have specialty coffee/chocolate shops with fancier coffees for an upcharge.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I can’t answer for coffee, because I never learned to like it.  I drink hot and iced tea, in limited quantities because after awhile the tannic acid gives me acid reflux.  So, I’m drawing a blank.  There is a bar in the front of the Marketplace buffet on deck 8 that has coffees.  But as you are in YC, I’m sure you will find coffee easy to find….your butler will be delighted to assist.

As to Ocean Cay, take water shoes, as some beaches are not as good as others.  My experience was at Lighthouse Beach, the closest to the ship, but I understand there is not as much ‘surf’ at some of the others.  Once you are finished bathing, visit one of the toilet buildings.  They have showers on the side where you can rinse sand off body and feet.  I suspect it’s all cold water, but might feel good.   Unfortunately, it is outside so you can’t strip down and wash it all off…as it is not a clothing optional beach.   Hmmm…maybe MSC could consider setting a portion aside….  EM

LOL, I'm Fantastica, not YC.  I got the upgrade offer but chose to stay in the balcony where I was.  I'm just not butler material.  I have water shoes, really good water shoes, that I take with me on cruises and water parks.  I've watched a lot of Ocean Cay videos, including the ones where they literally dredged out abandoned mining equipment from under the sand!  It's been 40 years since I did clothing optional beaches, but I really like the way you think!  If you had not told us your age, I would have taken you for a 30-something!  You have a young heart and an older persons wisdom and experience.  Oh to be 20 again, with what I know now.   KJ

16 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Most of the interior bars on MSC ships have espresso machines and can make cappuccinos and americanos that are covered under the Easy Plus drink package. Also, many ships have specialty coffee/chocolate shops with fancier coffees for an upcharge.

Bella and I could have had the basic drink package free, but, like a lot of Asians, Bella is allergic to alcohol, so we bought the non-alcoholic drink package.  She is sensitive about not being able to have alcohol so I don't drink when we're traveling together.  Will the non-alcohol package cover espresso at a bar?  I know we plan on hitting up Venchi, and we are aware that there's an uncharge.  Thank you for the information!

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

And if you don't have a beverage package, cappuccinos, etc. are less expensive than on other cruise lines.  Regular coffee is available from dispensers at no charge.

We just have the non alcohol package.  I didn't check for coffee when we bought it, I just remember that she was excited for the non alcohol "virgin" drinks.  She loves them !  Thanks for the information !

38 minutes ago, alexmom said:

Bella and I could have had the basic drink package free, but, like a lot of Asians, Bella is allergic to alcohol, so we bought the non-alcoholic drink package.  She is sensitive about not being able to have alcohol so I don't drink when we're traveling together.  Will the non-alcohol package cover espresso at a bar?  I know we plan on hitting up Venchi, and we are aware that there's an uncharge.  Thank you for the information!

I don’t drink much alcohol at all, just don’t like the taste.  I’ll get a Bloody Mary and ask for it weak and spicy.  I had one glass of wine each on my last two cruises of 7 days.  I also not being able to tolerate alcohol.  I go through bouts of diverticulitis, when one of the antibiotics is metronidazole.  You can’t drink with it.  I have become so sensitive that I can’t use nasal spray, body lotions, lip balm, pickles…you just have to read the labels.  Put some salve on a cold sore and I’m up puking at 5am.  Heaven help me if I had to use Purell.  
   Like many older cruisers, I came of age in the 60’s, after THE PILL, before herpes, hep B, HIV…I had a very traditional upbringing, and always wanted adventure.  Be a bit eccentric.  I think my nieces believe I’ve achieved that.  I’m not done yet.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2