NCL - NEVER Sailed with them - GOOD and BAD?

I just got off the Sun.

On 8/14/2023 at 6:43 PM, edspec said:

-if you're a wine drinker or like coffees, water, or soft drinks you will need to upgrade the drink package

I drank wine, coffee, water and soft drinks and didn't have to upgrade anything

-new thing of cabins not ready till after 3 on the first day?  No way.  I have a 2025 cruise booked, hoped they've addressed this by then

I have no idea when my cabin was ready and really didn't care.  I was on the ship eating, drinking and having fun.

-taking entertainment options away....this is ongoing and again, hope they have it fixed by 2025.  The product is not what it was pre-Covid or even after the re-start

I had some of the most amazing entertainment I have ever had on a cruise ship.  My nights were over booked with excellent shows/musicians (Matthew, Ed Kelley, Nico Duo, Rock you tonight, and several others that I just didn't have time for.

-housekeeping very late to get to cabins, deal breaker for my sister who sailed them once and will not book again due to this

We headed out for breakfast/bloody Mary's every morning around 7 or 8 and the cabin was always ready when we came back.  Never interfered with those valuable 1:00 PM naps.

I really, really used to enjoy NCL but they need to get their act together on the housekeeping and entertainment.

If they keep doing what they were doing in July on the Sun, I'll be a happy sailor.  😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My first cruise was a free balcony cabinet on NCL Breakaway in 2016…received it from gambling in Atlantic City. 😆 The cabinet size was sufficient for two but there were no drawers.  I got a tip from watching a video on YouTube which suggested you bring collapsible fabric storage cubes…they can be placed on the top shelfs in the clothing closet which works out nicely.  Also learned to bring a shoe rack hanger so all our shoes are not all over the closet floor. So on my second cruise in 2017 I brought those items on NCL Gem which had I believe a 13” TV …very tiny!!!  It’s extra items to bring on your cruise but it made organizing your items so much easier.

After the NCL Gem I learned to say away from old ships…too outdated.  My next cruises in 2018 & 2019 was on NCL Escape which was wonderful…then came COVID😖!!!  I finally plan to go on a  cruise on NCL Joy in 2024 & I can’t wait.   But I feel all cruises are enjoyable…a cruise is what you make it. Enjoy 🍷

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

My first cruise was a free balcony cabinet on NCL Breakaway in 2016…received it from gambling in Atlantic City.

I think you meant to write "cabin," but I'll tell you what: my first-ever cruise back in 1992, it felt like the size of a cabinet/closet. I'm not even sure the door didn't hit the bed when we opened it, it was THAT small!

6 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

My first cruise was a free balcony cabinet on NCL Breakaway in 2016…received it from gambling in Atlantic City. 😆 The cabinet size was sufficient for two but there were no drawers.  I got a tip from watching a video on YouTube which suggested you bring collapsible fabric storage cubes…they can be placed on the top shelfs in the clothing closet which works out nicely.  Also learned to bring a shoe rack hanger so all our shoes are not all over the closet floor. So on my second cruise in 2017 I brought those items on NCL Gem which had I believe a 13” TV …very tiny!!!  It’s extra items to bring on your cruise but it made organizing your items so much easier.

After the NCL Gem I learned to say away from old ships…too outdated.  My next cruises in 2018 & 2019 was on NCL Escape which was wonderful…then came COVID😖!!!  I finally plan to go on a  cruise on NCL Joy in 2024 & I can’t wait.   But I feel all cruises are enjoyable…a cruise is what you make it. Enjoy 🍷

A simpler way to solve those storage issues, is too bring less stuff.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I think you meant to write "cabin," but I'll tell you what: my first-ever cruise back in 1992, it felt like the size of a cabinet/closet. I'm not even sure the door didn't hit the bed when we opened it, it was THAT small!

Thanks for the correction…I did mean cabin.  Your first cruise sounds like an inside cabin; and, to think I was complaining about a small TV 😝!!!   I enjoy time in my living space so I do need a reasonable size room no matter how I travel.  The only exception is when I’m on a road trip…

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I just got off the Sun.

I drank wine, coffee, water and soft drinks and didn't have to upgrade anything

I have no idea when my cabin was ready and really didn't care.  I was on the ship eating, drinking and having fun.

I had some of the most amazing entertainment I have ever had on a cruise ship.  My nights were over booked with excellent shows/musicians (Matthew, Ed Kelley, Nico Duo, Rock you tonight, and several others that I just didn't have time for.

We headed out for breakfast/bloody Mary's every morning around 7 or 8 and the cabin was always ready when we came back.  Never interfered with those valuable 1:00 PM naps.

If they keep doing what they were doing in July on the Sun, I'll be a happy sailor.  😎

Yeah…entertainment is changing.  The long running shows are only under contract for a finite period of time.  They’re going to be replaced.  But, having done a couple of behind the scenes tours with the Stage Managers, NCL has a huge entertainment only complex  that they develop and rehears new shows, which will replace the ones that are being performed now.

Will miss shows like Choir of Man and Million Dollar Quartet.  But, if the current Syd’s and Cavern Club shows are any indication, I’m really looking forward to the other shows replacing the current theater shows (given I’ve seen them all multiple times).  To me, NCL has the best entertainment at sea…and has for a while.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

A simpler way to solve those storage issues, is too bring less stuff.

AMEN to that.  The less I bring on a cruise, the happier I am.

My first NCL cruise was the NCL Norway, shortly before it blew up.  Inside cabin……Couldn’t have two people in the bathroom at the same time (and yes, we tried). 😉 IF someone was sitting in the main cabin area on the bed, the other person would have to move to let the other go by. 

Teeny by comparison to today!

One of these days we're going to have to try and take in some shows. For the most part we just skip them, particularly the lounge acts, comedians, etc. The reason is that we mostly sail for the ports, and we typically spend all day on shore. Since I'm an early riser, I'm usually exhausted after dinner and end up crashing early. I'm not really the Syd Norman's type, anyway-just not my cup of tea. To those of you who do-enjoy!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ozzieru1e said:

On a 7 day cruise I need a variety of stuff but I must admit I usually don’t use all the stuff I bring 😆.

Make a packing list.  

Review list after cruise.
Remove items from list you don't use.

We have many threads on CC suggesting items to bring.

We could use a thread on unnecessary items.

Three pairs of shoes is plenty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Make a packing list.  

Review list after cruise.
Remove items from list you don't use.

We have many threads on CC suggesting items to bring.

We could use a thread on unnecessary items.

Three pairs of shoes is plenty.

I agree three pairs of shoes should be plenty…I plan to downsize on my next 7 day cruise.  I have the same problem at home…It’s amazing the things you accumulate over the years. 

Before going on my very first trip abroad, I read a book that said the following: "Open up your suitcase. Put just the things you absolutely can't live without in the suitcase. Remove 1/2 of that, then close up your suitcase and go on your trip to Europe." I realize I actually need very little on vacation, way less than I need in everyday life. My back and my arms thank me. 🤣

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Before going on my very first trip abroad, I read a book that said the following: "Open up your suitcase. Put just the things you absolutely can't live without in the suitcase. Remove 1/2 of that, then close up your suitcase and go on your trip to Europe." I realize I actually need very little on vacation, way less than I need in everyday life. My back and my arms thank me. 🤣

Which is one of the reasons we like NCL...no "dress-up"..."formal"...or "look at me, aren't you impressed with my fancy wardrobe?" nights.

Suits, tuxedos, ball gowns, dress shoes, etc., take up lots of valuable luggage space (and weight). A few pairs of shorts, some t-shirts, a polo shirt or three and a pair of jeans is more than enough.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Similar to this: 

put all the clothes you  think  you'll need on the bed.

put all the money you think  you'll need on the bed.

Put half the clothes back in the closet.

Put twice as much money on the bed.

Now, you're ready to pack.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I agree three pairs of shoes should be plenty…I plan to downsize on my next 7 day cruise.  I have the same problem at home…It’s amazing the things you accumulate over the years. 

My wife spent many years moving about.

If something hasn't been used in awhile.

It's going to goodwill.

• Like 2

We always over pack for cruises. Used to wear slacks and dress shirts every night for dinner and wife would wear a sundress or one ore two nights something more fancy. Our next i am bring 2 pairs of slacks and 2 dress shirts. rest of the nights, nice shorts and polo shirts for dinner. 

We live in our bathing suits during the day either on the ship or in port...Always had 2 full suit cases, a garment bag plus carry on...January our goal is one suitcase and carryon

53 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Which is one of the reasons we like NCL...no "dress-up"..."formal"...or "look at me, aren't you impressed with my fancy wardrobe?" nights.

Suits, tuxedos, ball gowns, dress shoes, etc., take up lots of valuable luggage space (and weight). A few pairs of shorts, some t-shirts, a polo shirt or three and a pair of jeans is more than enough.

Compounding the problem.

Too many decide on a specific outfit for a specific night.  So, two outfits per night.

Assigned seating in the MDR with the same people.  "Oh, I can't wear the same outfit twice."

On 8/14/2023 at 8:20 PM, MagentaandRiffRaff said:

Hi all,

I have never sailed with NCL (only RCI and Celebrity) but feel the need to branch out! If I asked you what was the good and bad about this cruise line, what would you share with me. Thanks so much!

Wendy (AKA Magenta) 🙂

I have sailed all 3 lines you mention.  My preference is NCL between the 3. 

I don't know what this says about the cruise lines, but the NCL forum on Cruise Critic is far more enjoyable to read through than the Royal forum.  NCL cruisers seem to be more passionate in their discussions than Royal cruisers. IMO.

I don't know what classes you tend to sail, but on any given day, I would rather be in The Haven on NCL than Star Class on Royal.  While Star Class is pretty amazing, once you exit the room, your in the general mix.  I'd prefer the ship within ship design.  I also think NCL does specialty restaurants better.  We sailed RCL in June on the Anthem.  Our best meal was at Izumi (sushi), we had negative experiences in every other specialty restaurant.  We ate in the MDR once, it was fantastic.  

All that said, our kids will be out of the house in the next few years and we have started gravitating toward Oceania.  We sailed once and have another booked.  Ship size, food and demographic all contribute.  

If you are thinking NCL....book a Breakaway+ class ship in the Haven.  You won't be disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, WarfRatWA said:

I have sailed all 3 lines you mention.  My preference is NCL between the 3. 

I don't know what this says about the cruise lines, but the NCL forum on Cruise Critic is far more enjoyable to read through than the Royal forum.  NCL cruisers seem to be more passionate in their discussions than Royal cruisers. IMO.

I don't know what classes you tend to sail, but on any given day, I would rather be in The Haven on NCL than Star Class on Royal.  While Star Class is pretty amazing, once you exit the room, your in the general mix.  I'd prefer the ship within ship design.  I also think NCL does specialty restaurants better.  We sailed RCL in June on the Anthem.  Our best meal was at Izumi (sushi), we had negative experiences in every other specialty restaurant.  We ate in the MDR once, it was fantastic.  

All that said, our kids will be out of the house in the next few years and we have started gravitating toward Oceania.  We sailed once and have another booked.  Ship size, food and demographic all contribute.  

If you are thinking NCL....book a Breakaway+ class ship in the Haven.  You won't be disappointed.

We’re a laid back, fun group.  Sailed with some who post here…all great folks!  Would gladly sail with any of them on NCL, again!

• Like 1

Rules of packing for an NCL cruise....this includes the fact that tuxes, suits, sports coats, gowns, heels, dress shoes, sparkly clothes, tiaras, etc are not needed.

-outfits that can be worn 2x before needing to be cleaned

-Hawaiian shirts that can double as dress shirts for the few (actually only 1 or 2) restaurants that require them, that can also double as casual wear

-1 pr of khakis for that same restaurant (or 2) that require long pants

-1 pr of shorts for every 2 days of the cruise

-tennis shoes, which can also double as closed toe shoes for restaurants that require them, and can be worn at embarkation

-sandals for the pool decks

-swim trunks

-1 pr boxers/day of the cruise

-1 pr of workout shorts

-2 workout t-shirts

-1 pr of socks for every 2 days of a cruise (some can be white workout socks-others colored socks to wear with the khakis)

-meds, toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash, brush, deodorant (I use the ship's soaps and shampoos so I don't have to pack them), razor (2/week)

-1 iPad for posting to CC on a cruise and playing music while I shower every day

-1 iPhone to text take pics/vids on the ship

-charging cables (usb A/C, lightning), international plug adapter, rechargeable power bricks for long layovers when I fly

-electrolyte packets for those mornings when I might have (oh who am I kidding...always) been over served the day before.  These get me right back in the game. I've tried a lot of them.  IQ MIX and IQ JOE is what I've settled on to do the job for a.m. coffee fix and rehydrating...https://www.eatiqbar.com/collections/all-products/iqmix

I wash and rinse clothes as needed in the cabin shower and hang them on the cabin's laundry line.  I also take advantage of NCL's laundry service (Latitudes gets one batch free).

I can pack a roll aboard carry on and a back pack for a 7 day cruise.  I have an 11 day cruise in the Mediterranean beginning next month.  And, I'll be sticking around Italy for another 2 weeks after the cruise.  So, I'm going to have to break down and take one checked bag as well as my usually roll aboard and back pack this go round.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

On a 7 day cruise I need a variety of stuff but I must admit I usually don’t use all the stuff I bring 😆.

Agreed. I like options though. But I still consider myself a light packer with just 1 carry-on sized suitcase and a large tote (usually). I keep most of my clothes in the packing cubes I packed them in. But I still take up a lot of space as a solo cruiser. I couldn't imagine sharing shelf space.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reeinaz said:

Agreed. I like options though. But I still consider myself a light packer with just 1 carry-on sized suitcase and a large tote (usually). I keep most of my clothes in the packing cubes I packed them in. But I still take up a lot of space as a solo cruiser. I couldn't imagine sharing shelf space.

I do the same with packing cubes…it’s so convenient to take already packed cubes out my suitcase and place them on shelves or in drawers (if you lucky to have drawers).

15 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Rules of packing for an NCL cruise....this includes the fact that tuxes, suits, sports coats, gowns, heels, dress shoes, sparkly clothes, tiaras, etc are not needed.

-outfits that can be worn 2x before needing to be cleaned

-Hawaiian shirts that can double as dress shirts for the few (actually only 1 or 2) restaurants that require them, that can also double as casual wear

-1 pr of khakis for that same restaurant (or 2) that require long pants

-1 pr of shorts for every 2 days of the cruise

-tennis shoes, which can also double as closed toe shoes for restaurants that require them, and can be worn at embarkation

-sandals for the pool decks

-swim trunks

-1 pr boxers/day of the cruise

-1 pr of workout shorts

-2 workout t-shirts

-1 pr of socks for every 2 days of a cruise (some can be white workout socks-others colored socks to wear with the khakis)

-meds, toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash, brush, deodorant (I use the ship's soaps and shampoos so I don't have to pack them), razor (2/week)

-1 iPad for posting to CC on a cruise and playing music while I shower every day

-1 iPhone to text take pics/vids on the ship

-charging cables (usb A/C, lightning), international plug adapter, rechargeable power bricks for long layovers when I fly

-electrolyte packets for those mornings when I might have (oh who am I kidding...always) been over served the day before.  These get me right back in the game. I've tried a lot of them.  IQ MIX and IQ JOE is what I've settled on to do the job for a.m. coffee fix and rehydrating...https://www.eatiqbar.com/collections/all-products/iqmix

I wash and rinse clothes as needed in the cabin shower and hang them on the cabin's laundry line.  I also take advantage of NCL's laundry service (Latitudes gets one batch free).

I can pack a roll aboard carry on and a back pack for a 7 day cruise.  I have an 11 day cruise in the Mediterranean beginning next month.  And, I'll be sticking around Italy for another 2 weeks after the cruise.  So, I'm going to have to break down and take one checked bag as well as my usually roll aboard and back pack this go round.

So, it has been a long time (15+ years) since we cruised NCL. Am I reading the above correctly that we can wear nice shorts to almost all the dining venues, all the time?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wallyworld1059 said:

So, it has been a long time (15+ years) since we cruised NCL. Am I reading the above correctly that we can wear nice shorts to almost all the dining venues, all the time?

Yes!  Le Bistro, and some others, do require a bit more coverage (nicer) clothing for evening meals.

• Like 1