NCL - NEVER Sailed with them - GOOD and BAD?

1 hour ago, LatinaInTexas said:

It was the Getaway deck 11 inside cabin. Almost always stay in an inside, don't know the actual sizes of cabins on this or the other lines cabins but this one seemed the smallest/tightest.

There should be drawers available in the wardrobe and the bed side table.

I’ve stayed in the solo cabins on the Breakaway…which is small, too.  But, totally functional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LatinaInTexas said:

It was the Getaway deck 11 inside cabin. Almost always stay in an inside, don't know the actual sizes of cabins on this or the other lines cabins but this one seemed the smallest/tightest.

Obviously, inside cabins are always the smallest to begin with. I'm surprised there wasn't even one drawer, though. You didn't say how many of you there were in that cabin. We've always found cabins to be fine in terms of storage, there are two of us and we often run out of things to put in the drawers and on the hangers. I'd be interested to see a photo of your cabin on the Getaway so I have a better idea what it looks like. I was given a tip many years ago which I try to follow, and that is to put my suitcase under the bed so it's out of sight, but it can also function as a drawer since you can store things there if you want.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Obviously, inside cabins are always the smallest to begin with. I'm surprised there wasn't even one drawer, though. You didn't say how many of you there were in that cabin. We've always found cabins to be fine in terms of storage, there are two of us and we often run out of things to put in the drawers and on the hangers. I'd be interested to see a photo of your cabin on the Getaway so I have a better idea what it looks like. I was given a tip many years ago which I try to follow, and that is to put my suitcase under the bed so it's out of sight, but it can also function as a drawer since you can store things there if you want.

Good point about putting luggage under the bed.  Also doubles as a drawer for dirty clothes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rhobbkf said:

Currently on NCL Sun. The room stewards said they went from 14 to 22 rooms each.  It was beyond annoying that rooms weren't released until after 3 pm the first day. All venues were jammed because there was no where else for people to disperse to.  Also, while tv is not normally a highlight , we had rainy days and only 2 movie channels, no on demand at all.  We've cruised NCL before and this was a step down for NCL. One big plus though was having a coffee maker in the room (you must ask for it). 

This.  I always check my bag with the porters but I do carry a small bag with prescriptions, an extra outfit, toiletries, and a book.  I don't want to have to deal with it 3-4 hours after I've boarded, especially when I'm by myself.  IRL I don't even carry a purse, have everything in my phone case. 

I'd forgotton the lack to TV programming.  I don't watch a lot of TV even at home but I do enjoy having some movies and series available in case I feel like staying in my room.  Just off Princess and their movie and series selection was excellent and free.  Carnival also does a nice job on this, I look forward to watching TCM, HGTV, and FoodNetwork when I sail with them.

I am booked on the Sun for a Spice Road cruise in March of 2025.  Great Itinerary and a ship I really enjoyed but I'll cancel if they don't get this steward thing corrected.  Celebrity and Virgin do the same cruise so not a biggie.

The OP wanted good and bad, which will be different for all of us.  Things which don't bother you bother me and vice versa.  There is such a thing as respecting other's viewpoints even if you don't agree.

I'm 59 years old but every time I board a cruise 🚢 ship, I'm like a kid again. I can't wait to explore the ship, have some food 🍔 and a drink 🍸, and just take it all in. We always bring a backpack with the necessary items in case it takes a while for our bags to be delivered to the room. Not once in 12 cruises have I been disappointed that I couldn't go to my room immediately. Like @edspec said above, there's such a thing as respecting others' viewpoints. Mine is that cruising is so much fun and I look forward to it so much, I can't be bothered with fussing over when the room is ready. After all, I'm going to be spending plenty of time there over the course of the 7+ days we're on board. What's the rush? Again, my viewpoint only. Please respect it even if your preferences differ from mine. 😊

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm 59 years old but every time I board a cruise 🚢 ship, I'm like a kid again. I can't wait to explore the ship, have some food 🍔 and a drink 🍸, and just take it all in. We always bring a backpack with the necessary items in case it takes a while for our bags to be delivered to the room. Not once in 12 cruises have I been disappointed that I couldn't go to my room immediately. Like @edspec said above, there's such a thing as respecting others' viewpoints. Mine is that cruising is so much fun and I look forward to it so much, I can't be bothered with fussing over when the room is ready. After all, I'm going to be spending plenty of time there over the course of the 7+ days we're on board. What's the rush? Again, my viewpoint only. Please respect it even if your preferences differ from mine. 😊

Couldn't agree more. Just have my backpack with all my essentials.
We are about to embark on our 2nd NCL cruise in early September from NY. We've been on many other lines including Celebrity, Princess, RCL, and Carnival. Doesn't matter which ship I'm on, I still get chills when I take my first step aboard. Any day on a cruise ship beats any day at work 🙂

• Like 3

I agree with you @DCGuy64 and @jy_cruisefan! We have learned to pack a bag with whatever we'll need, which is honestly not a lot. Bathing suits, my medicine, wallets, empty water bottle, passports, and a phone charger go in this bag. Sometimes I throw my flippy floppies in too.

We board, wander around the ship until the restaurant opens, and have lunch. Then we enjoy a nice lunch and change into our bathing suits. We sit in the hot tub, take a refreshing dip in the pool, and repeat. Of course we have our embarkation drinks to celebrate being on the ship too! 

Then, at some point we wander to our room. Usually it's been announced rooms are ready for awhile before we actually get to our room. 

That's our wonderful board the ship routine. I feel for those that have a routine that starts in the room now that rooms aren't ready at the time rooms used to be ready due to fewer stateroom stewards. I know if NCL announced hot tubs wouldn't be ready until 3 or 4 I'd be disappointed. 

We do enjoy watching sail away from our balcony so I can wander between the balcony and room, especially if we're in the blazing sun!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

flippy floppies in too.

You're the only person I've heard use that term. My wife said she's never heard it, either. Did you make it up? 😉 (We say "flip flops" or sandals or even thongs, but I'd never seen flippy floppies before I read your post)

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

You're the only person I've heard use that term. My wife said she's never heard it, either. Did you make it up? 😉 (We say "flip flops" or sandals or even thongs, but I'd never seen flippy floppies before I read your post)

Look up the NSFW song "I'm on a Boat" by The Lonely Island. That's where I stole the term from. It's a great song! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with others that the differences are small. I enjoy the itineraries more on NCL that is why I have had double cruises with them. I also feel that their loyalty program is much better on NCL. The free laundry and 2 specialty dinners can't be beat. I know that free drinks for Loyal members is a big pick for RCL; however the FAS $20+ day alcohol  perk is even better. It seems much easier to reach the platinum level than the high level of Royal.

That being said, I don't think that the entertainment is that superior anymore. We enjoy the main dining room reserved dining (probably the only ones); and love the pizza for RCL.   I also appreciate the ability to bring on a case of soda and two bottles of wine as we do not get the alcohol package as DH doesn't drink (again maybe the only ones). I have even heard that on Royal, if you can prove that one party does not drink, they will let only one person buy it-they should its like $80 a day. NCL is very strict and makes everyone  in the ropm get the package if they choose that perk. Now I know its only $20 but totally not worth it if someone doesn't drink alcohol or even soda. NCL won't let you brink on any soda or wine (unless you have the alcohol package. So they both have their plus and minus. I wish there was a cruise line that would have all the positives!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bedfordmom said:

Agree with others that the differences are small. I enjoy the itineraries more on NCL that is why I have had double cruises with them. I also feel that their loyalty program is much better on NCL. The free laundry and 2 specialty dinners can't be beat. I know that free drinks for Loyal members is a big pick for RCL; however the FAS $20+ day alcohol  perk is even better. It seems much easier to reach the platinum level than the high level of Royal.

That being said, I don't think that the entertainment is that superior anymore. We enjoy the main dining room reserved dining (probably the only ones); and love the pizza for RCL.   I also appreciate the ability to bring on a case of soda and two bottles of wine as we do not get the alcohol package as DH doesn't drink (again maybe the only ones). I have even heard that on Royal, if you can prove that one party does not drink, they will let only one person buy it-they should its like $80 a day. NCL is very strict and makes everyone  in the ropm get the package if they choose that perk. Now I know its only $20 but totally not worth it if someone doesn't drink alcohol or even soda. NCL won't let you brink on any soda or wine (unless you have the alcohol package. So they both have their plus and minus. I wish there was a cruise line that would have all the positives!

You can bring as much wine as you wish for $15 a bottle.

• Like 1

Now I know its only $20 but totally not worth it if someone doesn't drink alcohol or even soda.

You're right, for those two people on a ship with 5,000 passengers, it's totally not worth it. 😛

NCL won't let you brink on any soda or wine (unless you have the alcohol package.

Many people DO have the alcohol package, and some lines won't let you bring anything alcoholic onboard at all, package or no package, just sayin'. It's nice RCI will allow just one person to get the liquor package, but they charge a premium for that. $80 per day for a 7-day cruise is $560 for just one person. At $21.80 pppd on NCL, it would take a couple almost 13 days on an NCL cruise to pay that much. So....yeah. NCL is a better deal, even if both adults in the same cabin have to get it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

They’re also called Slaps.. I think it was South Africa I heard that name for them.  English is a fun language! 

I’ve only sailed with NCL so far, but I haven’t sailed since the latest cutbacks on service. There is a worldwide worker shortage across multiple industries but hospitality has been one of the hardest hit sectors.  One of my friends sailed RCL as her first but didn’t particularly enjoy it and she thinks it was the itinerary that was the biggest issue. Like me she travelled from Ireland to Florida so making that long a trip only to be dissatisfied isn’t a great recommendation.  However I enjoyed my first cruise with NCL I had booked my second within a week of getting home and bought 4 cruise next certs on the ship. 

• Like 2

Addressing several comments here.

NCL seems to use shelves and doors vs drawers.  Drawers actually provide less room in an area, with the spacing for sliders and space below.  Drawers also are a maintenance problem, as they break easier and can bang in rough seas. 

Inside cabin spaces are listed on the NCL website.  For Getaway, 130-200 sq ft.  Std balcony is just above 200 sq ft.  You pay less for an interior, and get less. 

Many major hotel chains were reducing room services before the shut down, roughly starting  in 2018.  Three nights or less was no room service, if you needed new towels then contact desk in morning, and leave the used ones inside the door.  That grew to 4 or 5 nights during pandemic.

We carry on vitals (CPAP, extra clothes, electronics, cameras) using backpacks.  There are several available designed for personal travel vs business.  Much easier to carry and stow while enjoying a few drinks.

I don't understand how the first 2-3 hours (where you are getting free food and drink) of a 7 day cruise can sway your decision making for future cruises.  

• Like 6

RCL will let you purchase just one drink package if there is a medical reason for the second passenger in a cabin.  Also, the drink package might be $80/day on that cruise on one day, perhaps $55 the next day and perhaps $85 for another cruise.  You buy and if you see a lower price you cancel and re-book.  The package is generous with decent included wines, specialty coffees, and waters.  They generally have a decent Black Friday sale which is nice.

CCL has not in my experience allowed one person, even w/ a medical exemption to skip the drink package.  It is a generous package with all of RCL's inclusions plus canned sodas and waters.  I don't drink fountain soda so that isn't an inclusion to me, (NCL).  Love that you can get sugar free energy drinks for the cabin.

• Like 1

Have sailed with both and prefer celebrity; currently have cruises booked on both.  When you book a cruise on celebrity that includes say a drink package and tips and gratuities you won't see any additional charges; with ncl that isn't the case.  When you book airfare with celebrity you pick the flights from their list of available and if there is an issue they are there to help; with ncl they pick your flights and then if there is an issue its up to you to resolve.   Not all bad with ncl but just some differences; ncl has better shows than celebrity and is more lively.  There is nothing like aqua class on ncl but the retreat and the haven are a close comparison.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edspec said:

This.  I always check my bag with the porters but I do carry a small bag with prescriptions, an extra outfit, toiletries, and a book.  I don't want to have to deal with it 3-4 hours after I've boarded, especially when I'm by myself.  IRL I don't even carry a purse, have everything in my phone case. 

I'd forgotton the lack to TV programming.  I don't watch a lot of TV even at home but I do enjoy having some movies and series available in case I feel like staying in my room.  Just off Princess and their movie and series selection was excellent and free.  Carnival also does a nice job on this, I look forward to watching TCM, HGTV, and FoodNetwork when I sail with them.

Really?  Different strokes........

I have a back pack with my with meds, hair brush, my toothbrush/paste.  A change of boxers.  That's it.  Easy.  Lite to carry.  And, if worse comes to worst at least I'll look presentable with my hair brushed, a clean mouth and a clean pair of boxers to wear.  

FWIW, Celebrity is my 2nd favorite cruise line.  They do have "all inclusive" with tips figured in.  I still tip extra, but their fares reflect the inclusion of those perks.

🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Addressing several comments here.

NCL seems to use shelves and doors vs drawers.  Drawers actually provide less room in an area, with the spacing for sliders and space below.  Drawers also are a maintenance problem, as they break easier and can bang in rough seas. 

Inside cabin spaces are listed on the NCL website.  For Getaway, 130-200 sq ft.  Std balcony is just above 200 sq ft.  You pay less for an interior, and get less. 

Many major hotel chains were reducing room services before the shut down, roughly starting  in 2018.  Three nights or less was no room service, if you needed new towels then contact desk in morning, and leave the used ones inside the door.  That grew to 4 or 5 nights during pandemic.

We carry on vitals (CPAP, extra clothes, electronics, cameras) using backpacks.  There are several available designed for personal travel vs business.  Much easier to carry and stow while enjoying a few drinks.

I don't understand how the first 2-3 hours (where you are getting free food and drink) of a 7 day cruise can sway your decision making for future cruises.  

I 2nd this opinion. I've seen a steady decrease in service personnel across many sectors, not just cruises or restaurants, but hotels, retail stores, airlines, etc. A small restaurant near my house began closing the dining room at 2 pm, after that you could only order through meal delivery services or get it to go. The reason? They can't find workers. Try going to a seaside resort along the Eastern seaboard and you'll see what I mean. Last year, our flight from DC to Hilton Head was delayed because they didn't have enough flight crews until they called someone up and she showed up an hour later. Frankly, I don't care how much money people have paid for their cruises, we all need to be a bit more forgiving when it comes to staff issues on board the cruises we are all blessed to be able to take.

My recent first experience with NCL was a recent Baltic cruise on the Dawn. I will give some high points and low points from my own perspective  First off the walls were paper thin. I had loud takers on both sides of me which lead to sleepless hours. Also the garden cafe was always mobbed. Not NCLs fault but I ate my first meal of my cruise with my plate propped on a ledge next to a trash can. Needless to say I avoided the cafe in the future. The staff was lovely.  I would give the food a B overall. Plenty of selection. The shore excursions were varied and well done. From my own perspective as a solo traveler the ship, although not one of the largest, just seemed too crowded for me. I think I will look to some smaller ships if I decide to cruise again

We sailed NCL in 2006 (I think that's what my signature below says), and we really, REALLY liked the freestyle dining concept with young children.  The only reason that we have never sailed them again is because we drive to NOLA mostly to board and NCL hasn't been an option for us, during the dates we needed to vacation.  I am hoping our next cruise (2025 or 2026) will be on board one of the NCL ships, because it's past time for us to give them a try, again.

So I have cruised Multiple times with NCL and also with RCCL. I wil say for my wife and I we enjoy NCL better especially because of the Haven!. Mostly everything between NCL and RCCL is similar with the exception of a few things:

1   The Ships! RCCL Oasis class ships have that WOW factor. Now with that being said, we cruised on the Symphony of the seas and yes it WOW the hell out of us, we would never cruise that class again. NCLS Breakaway and Breakaway+ ships are the perfect size for us

2  Entertainment.  RCCL Oasis class ships i thought the entertainment was much better simply because it had amazing venues to host the shows like the Ice skating show and Aqua Show. I do like NCLs music venues better though like Sid Normans

If you were to compare RCCL's Freedom Class Ships against NCL and breakaway and breakaway+ class ships I would say NCL has the advantage. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 2:29 AM, mskaufman said:

I agree with others that differences are not that large.  It also depends on the specific ship.  We had a much better experience last year on Epic than we did this year on POA.

I enjoyed my time on pride of America.

• Like 1

Reiterating what many others have said - there are far more similarities with NCL, Carnival and Royal than differences. I have also cruised Princess, Celebrity and Disney in addition to the other three lines. They are generally all comparable with each line having things they do better at and things where they aren't so strong.

Generally for our family, NCL is the best fit. That being said, we cruised NCL, CCL and Princess last year and our family all agrees that CCL offered the best vacation out of the three - we were all blown away by the Carnival Panorama and wouldn't hesitate to cruise on one of CCL's newer ships in the future. 

Royal is great (have cruised on the Grandeur, Enchantment, Brilliance & Oasis, so not the newest and biggest) but we prefer NCL. Ultimately, we can all offer our opinions but they are just a reflection of what we value. You won't know how the NCL experience measures up to other lines for you until you go yourself. Assuming you have a comparable itinerary at a price point you are happy with, no harm in giving NCL a try. You will either be reaffirmed in your decision to stay loyal to Royal or you will find a new cruise line to enjoy! 

• Like 2