Just got an email outlining the "NEW" offerings

canadarocks

1 minute ago, CalTexCruiser said:

We paid $ 200 pp + port fees/taxes for our 12-day upcoming cruise.  When we booked, Alfredo's and OceanNow were free.  Now we have to pay for these services which in the aggregate will make up a substantial percentage of our cruise fare.

I was referring to the post which said they will miss having milk and chocolate cake in delivered. 

$14.99 one time fee for unlimited room service.

Prices have gone up everywhere, not just on a cruise. 

14 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

I was referring to the post which said they will miss having milk and chocolate cake in delivered. 

Paying more for less. Nothing new no matter where or what we have been doing for the last 3 plus years! 

14 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

I think we all know prices have gone up everywhere, which is why it is more important than ever to keep track of where our dollars are going--especially on discretionary spending.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I would much prefer that Princess just adds an extra $40 a day to the fare and have that include gratuities/wifi/soda package - no fancy package names, just standard fare so I know what I'm getting. From there, pay $20 to upgrade to plus or $40 to upgrade to premiere. Something for everyone. And set it for new bookings as of.....whenever. 

I still like the packages.  The package allows you to be cognizant of how the money is allotted.  If they were to build this into the price, in the future, they could arbitrarily raise prices and the passenger wouldn't know where the extra charges were going towards.  Take Viking for example.  Passengers have no idea how the cruise fare is being broken down.  Yes, it includes all amenities, but I still don't see how it all adds up.  Viking tends to be $350 to $450 per day in the lowest category, but can't believe that all that extra money the passenger is spending is going to tips/wifi/excursions/some drinks.

Also, this idea would greatly slow down the Internet on the ship since everyone would then have the ability to use it on limited bandwidth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Let's be honest. Which cruise line is not doing the same thing?

We cruised Celebrity, MSC, NCL Princess and RCI this year and last year. They are all doing the same thing. They are in business to make a profit and if you want to cruise you will pay. 

But many times, it's not just what they are doing as how they are doing it.  Lets be hones here, the way Princess has implemented this is horrible. 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

I think we all know prices have gone up everywhere, which is why it is more important than ever to keep track of where our dollars are going--especially on discretionary spending.

Well, I'm not going to deny myself unlimited OceanNow ordering at the pool.  That I call a vacation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

56 minutes ago, memoak said:

Just be prepared to see these types of changes on other mainstream lines. RCL is already prepping to change their pizza restaurant to pay per pie

Isn't that just a survey? From what I've heard so far, it's not to popular.

55 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's a one time $14.99 charge to opt-in to OceanNow for the entire cruise.

Are you going to deny yourself that enjoyment after paying thousands on a cruise?

Absolutely.

It's a matter of principle. 

I'll get whatever it is my own, thank you. I don't need their slow service. My chair by the pool will be waiting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

We paid $ 200 pp + port fees/taxes for a mini-suite on our 12-day upcoming cruise.  When we booked, Alfredo's and OceanNow were free.  Now we have to pay for these services which in the aggregate will make up a substantial percentage of our cruise fare.

Let's see a 12 day cruise at 200 per passenger per day. The 14.95 optional cost for using the App is .6%.

If you ate at Alfredos once every day of the cruise that would total 7.5%. Most likely less.  After all.it is optional and while not the same there is still slice.

Edited by ldtr

14 minutes ago, whitecap said:

But many times, it's not just what they are doing as how they are doing it.  Lets be hones here, the way Princess has implemented this is horrible. 

Agreed.  Easy enough to make the changes going forward.  Or announce that if not fully paid by X, etc.

Just like the pre-paid gratuities.  When those have gone up, across lines, if you have already paid by X date, you get the current/old rate.  After that , the new rate kicks in.  Simple enough to do that for these changes too.  Paid in full by X, you get free pizza.  Wait until after X, and you do not.  If you have plus paid pre-X the pizza does not count as a casual, after X it does.  This is TRIVIAL design.

Edited by mcship
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mcship said:

Agreed.  Easy enough to make the changes going forward.  Or announce that if not fully paid by X, etc.

Just like the pre-paid gratuities.  When those have gone up, across lines, if you have already paid by X date, you get the current/old rate.  After that , the new rate kicks in.  Simple enough to do that for these changes too.  Paid in full by X, you get free pizza.  Wait until after X, and you do not.  If you have plus paid pre-X the pizza does not count as a casual, after X it does.  This is TRIVIAL design.

Not unusual for cruise lines to changes prices on optional items without grandfathering. As far as gratuities they will honor the old price for those that prepay by the announced implementation date. Those that do not prepay pay the new price even if they booked prior to the increase.

Same with other changes, internet, obc changes etc.

6 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Not unusual for cruise lines to changes prices on optional items without grandfathering. As far as gratuities they will honor the old price for those that prepay by the announced implementation date. Those that do not prepay pay the new price even if they booked prior to the increase.

Same with other changes, internet, obc changes etc.

That was my point.  They could easily do the same for all of the changes.  Gratuities are the exact same as anything else.  This would be the better approach, in that it would give folks warning.   You would still have people griping (because people), but less of it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mcship said:

That was my point.  They could easily do the same for all of the changes.  Gratuities are the exact same as anything else.  This would be the better approach, in that it would give folks warning.   You would still have people griping (because people), but less of it. 

But they have. Everything that one has paid for. The old packages, gratuities, internet, approved obc, etc. specialty dining, Excursions, etc. All that one has paid for in advance are honored.

If one has not paid in advance of the implementation date, pay the new price totally independent of when one booked. In this case there was nothing one could prepay for. So nothing to.lock in before implementation date.

Princess is actually being consistent. Booking date does not matter for optional items. if one can prepay and does before implementation date they can avoid the increases for some items.

55 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Have you recently cruised on the other lines? They do it the same way. Been on them and see it happen both last year and this year. 

Happy Cruising!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Absolutely.

I'll get whatever it is my own, thank you. I don't need their slow service. My chair by the pool will be waiting. 

Isn't it nice we have choices? If they included it in the price of the total cruise, then you would not have a choice. Catch 22!

You cannot please everyone everytime!

Edited by Oxo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Have you recently cruised on the other lines? They do it the same way. Been on them and see it happen both last year and this year. 

Happy Cruising!

Princess, Carnival, Disney, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, so yes, I have been on other lines and recently, RCCL set out a "survey" regarding their pizza shop, Sorrento.  It was a survey and they asked their customers questions regarding the eatery.  They didn't announce to a group of TA's that Sorrento had been added to a drink package, will be a fee for those without a package, sell more packages!!!  They asked their customers for input.  Now, chances are they are going to implement some change, but how nice to have been given the opportunity to voice one's opinion BEFORE.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ldtr said:

But they have. Everything that one has paid for. The old packages, gratuities, internet, approved obc, etc. specialty dining, Excursions, etc. All that one has paid for in advance are honored.

If one has not paid in advance of the implementation date, pay the new price totally independent of when one booked. In this case there was nothing one could prepay for. So nothing to.lock in before implementation date.

Princess is actually being consistent. Booking date does not matter for optional items. if one can prepay and does before implementation date they can avoid the increases for some items.

The OceanNow, being part of the standard offering, but no longer being free is apparently a major sticking point for folks.  That and pizza (which I don't understand, but anyway).    It would have been easy to do it the same way as gratuity increases.  So if you are fully paid by X (even if that means you pay in full early) then you still get oceanNow and pizza free.  If you wait past X, you do not.   Or they could have simply had folks choose to make their deposit non-refundable by X, and "lock in" the free pizza.  There are a bunch of very simple things they could have done, which again, would not appease everyone, but would reduce the number.

Same could be said for everything.    

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mcship said:

The trick now is to book closer to sail date and abandon booking so far in advance.  There will be minimal surprises of new charges/changes to amenties and passengers will be able to take advantage of the Drop and Go rates.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, whitecap said:

Princess, Carnival, Disney, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, so yes, I have been on other lines and recently, RCCL set out a "survey" regarding their pizza shop, Sorrento.  It was a survey and they asked their customers questions regarding the eatery.  They didn't announce to a group of TA's that Sorrento had been added to a drink package, will be a fee for those without a package, sell more packages!!!  They asked their customers for input.  Now, chances are they are going to implement some change, but how nice to have been given the opportunity to voice one's opinion BEFORE.

Do you really think with the survey any cruise line would not implement something that would increase profits? Just like all the surveys we fill out when we end our cruise. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Absolutely.

Better be quick if you leave your pool chair go to the buffet! LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Now, chances are they are going to implement some change, but how nice to have been given the opportunity to voice one's opinion BEFORE.

nah - it's easier to ask for forgiveness (Princess) than ask for permission (RCCL)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The trick now is to book closer to sail date and abandon booking so far in advance.  There will be minimal surprises of new charges/changes to amenties and passengers will be able to take advantage of the Drop and Go rates.

Most of our bookings are drop and go rates. 

It's the older generation of cruisers who care where their cabin is. We'd much rather have the dirt cheap fare where we can use the money saved in ports or on Plus. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Well here’s an interesting turn of events. I have a short sailing coming up and it was a no- brainer to book premiere as I planned on eating at crown grill and sabatinis. Well, guess what? After having reservations for both I just checked the app and crown grill has disappeared and is no longer showing as available to book for any day. So, either this is more IT troubles or princess is selling a package that includes dining that’s not available?

I believe in giving credit where it is due, so wanted to come back and update on this. After my Crown Grill booking disappeared, I tried to rebook but the app wanted me to pay rather than applying the dining credits. I felt a little frustrated so logged on to Princess chat. After an hour of back and forth with a pleasant agent, I had still achieved nothing. (I will add that several times the agent referenced my flights (I have no flights) and a date that was not mine, so I suspect that they have several chats on the go at once, which is concerning)...Between the time I was answered on chat and the time the agent looked to book, Crown Grill was showing no availability for any day/time.

The basic gist of the conversation was "It's not available to pre-book. It's sold out. Book onboard"...No answer for my question, "What if it's also full once we board?" No answer to my question, "Why was my booking cancelled?" No answer to my question, "How come there was plenty of availability for all times/days when I looked an hour ago?" I get it. The agents have no idea and are limited in what they can do. I kept it polite and repeated several times exactly what I wanted to see happen - then we got disconnected (GAH!!!! An hour of my life wasted...or so I thought). I just went in to see if any availability had opened up, and guess what? Miraculously, the two restaurants are now under my reservations, at the exact day/time I requested from the agent (this was different to the original time I had reserved for Crown Grill - I only found it had been cancelled when I went in to change the time). So, obviously, the agent was able to do what I had requested but why nothing is showing to book still is beyond me. I have taken screen shots in case these also disappear...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Do you really think with the survey any cruise line would not implement something that would increase profits? Just like all the surveys we fill out when we end our cruise. LOL

"increase profits"

They have to get back to profit first.  Right now they are not forecast to do that until 2024.   Current quarter is looking estimated positive, but not enough to pull the whole year up.

image.png.efa732909ba7f6d5249edd44a8a3f142.png

18 minutes ago, Oxo said:

You apparently missed this sentence:  Now, chances are they are going to implement some change, but how nice to have been given the opportunity to voice one's opinion BEFORE.

• Like 1