Ultimate Balcony Dining - Dinner and Breakfast

voljeep

We did this in April on our 50th anniversary cruise on the Crown.  I believe it was $100 and worth every penny.  We did it in the room as it was a little too windy to sit on the balcony.  They came in and set up a table with table cloth and flowers.  Champagne, lobster, filet were all wonderful.  There was also a chocolate cake (bigger and better than the ones you would get in the MDR for a special occasion). There were also pictures taken and one was included in the price.  You will call the dine line and discuss what you want for dinner.  I had filet and lobster, my hubby just 2 lobster tails.  May do it again on our next cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Is this still available to book?  Want to use OBC once onboard ... 

What is the current price and menus?

Thanks

I agree with @marden1970 we do it on all the longer cruises.

It is $110 per cabin and wonderful!

Book it with RS as soon as you get OB if you want to use obc. 
The Dine line may book it also.

They do limit the amount per evening because of taking away servers.

We like to book on an overnight at a port or at a late departure from a port, so we can have calm seas and a backdrop.  We eat early, so a 530 meal for maybe a later sailaway works great.

They call you the day before asking for your choices, entree, cocktails, any allergies, etc.

Best meal we have had on most ships!  You will have 2 servers staying in the background/hallway and last one we had 3 servers.

DH said he felt like royalty! 👑 

😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

We like to book on an overnight at a port or at a late departure from a port, so we can have calm seas and a backdrop.  We eat early, so a 530 meal for maybe a later sailaway works great.

They call you the day before asking for your choices, entree, cocktails, any allergies, etc.

Best meal we have had on most ships!  You will have 2 servers staying in the background/hallway and last one we had 3 servers.

😉

thanks - and not to start 'another' tipping thread ... but ... what would be a proper tip for each server?

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

thanks - and not to start 'another' tipping thread ... but ... what would be a proper tip for each server?

We really only had one server.  There was someone who helped set up the table but other than that just the one brought in all the courses.  We tipped him $20 - don't know if that was too much or not enough, just what we thought was appropriate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Is this still available to book?  Want to use OBC once onboard ... 

What is the current price and menus?

Thanks

My brother enjoyed the UBD last week on the Emerald Princess.  He booked it prior to embarkation, and, so, paid with his credit card.  I assume that you can book after boarding and use OBC,  However, your options for date and time might be limited.

The menu has not changed significantly for years.  There might be a subtle change in the appetizer first course or the plate of petit fours that is left at the end.

Entree is Filet Mignon, Lobster tails or Surf 'n' Turf

.123_1.thumb.JPEG.c8c75b28dd34e5d102e3176eeea9abfa.JPEG

Dessert is still that totally decadent Chocolate Mouse/Raspberry thing

123_1(1).thumb.JPEG.77dcc781ee88dd9ac06c61374506276e.JPEG

He sent the pics to make me feel bad.  It worked.  🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

It is supposed to be included. But, we did tip an extra $10 per server.  IDK if that’s normal, but they were very appreciative.

And, please don’t start another tipping thread. This is personal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

dinner seems covered ... now how about the breakfast? - we had it once back in the day - a comp from a suite up-purchase.  It was all brought at once as I remember

Yes, breakfast is still available. Details are right at your cruise personalizer online. 

It's $45 or $50usd now. And yes, all brought at once.

You can book in advance for your dates if you want, although you do have to pay at the time, which negates using your OBC . On Grand class ships, it's only two UBD a night, breakfast isn't limited like that. On Royal class ships, they can do as many as 4 UBD a night.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

😉

We did an early dinner (5:30) on a day that we were in port until 8 or 9 and it was an excellent experience.  Sea was calm and meal was exceptional.  Something I would recommend doing at least once.

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

dinner seems covered ... now how about the breakfast? - we had it once back in the day - a comp from a suite up-purchase.  It was all brought at once as I remember

I'd save my money for a dinner.  We have not done UBB.  Don't really care to spend a lot on a fancy breakfast.  Just our personal thing.  Reports are that it is good and you can probably skip eating again until dinner.

I would really like to do either/both...but I'll be traveling solo. I wonder if I get both servings?? Or a price break?? Think I would pass on the dinner for that price...but still might do the breakfast...I could eat 4 eggs and bacon...

Don't think I would be able to eat both...lol...but I suppose I could put it in the frig... 

Now I'm hungry...

• Haha 1

@voljeep must say that we have enjoyed both our balcony dinners and breakfasts so hope you enjoy whichever you chose to do.  So much food with the breakfast but there is nothing like sitting outside watching the ocean and enjoying the meal.

Found out we won't be able to enjoy a cocktail made by Junella on the sailing because she is departing the ship on October 11.  😞

• Thanks 2

Just now, Host CJSKIDS said:

@voljeep must say that we have enjoyed both our balcony dinners and breakfasts so hope you enjoy whichever you chose to do.  So much food with the breakfast but there is nothing like sitting outside watching the ocean and enjoying the meal.

Found out we won't be able to enjoy a cocktail made by Junella on the sailing because she is departing the ship on October 11.  😞

bummer ...