Massage machines for relaxation

drsel

Wouldn't it be beneficial for all cruisers if the cruise lines installed  the following automatic machines in the spa and/or gym?

1) Foot massagers 

2) Full body chair massagers

3) Back massagers 

Charges for these could be a fraction of the charges for typical massages offered in the spa.

These machines wouldn't cost a lot, but the earning potential is huge!

Because I am sure that they would be in heavy demand and also be very profitable for the cruise line.

What do you think?

Edited by drsel

14 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I can't see the spa wanting those installed. It would compete with their employees. Why would they want a lower cost alternative to be available?

13 hours ago, mom says said:

What Sanger said. Given that the Spa is a contracted service, and the cruiseline gets a cut of every sale, I doubt that either one would be in favor of such a move.

I agree, but remember that very few are willing to pay the exhorbitant fees (over $100) charged for a massage by a  spa employee. I often see the masseurs sitting idle on so many cruises, simply because the massages are too expensive, unaffordable or simply not great value.

This move would bring in additional business from those who cant afford, or are not willing to spend so much for a regular massage.

The rich folk who are anyway happy to pay high prices will not be deterred from doing so.

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Put them on balconies!  

Agreed, a foot massager would easily fit on any Cruise ship balcony.

It hardly costs anything (on Amazon), compared to the price people pay for a balcony cabin.

It would certainly enhance the value of the balcony cabin and make it much more attractive to book

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 3:35 PM, sanger727 said:

I can't see the spa wanting those installed. It would compete with their employees. Why would they want a lower cost alternative to be available?

No, it's kinda like Vegas using gaming machines instead of humans.  The gaming machines work 24 hours a day, never call in sick, don't need criminal background checks, don't make mistakes or steal money.  In comparison, the need for regular oiling and maintenance is a small thing.  

But, in this particular situation, I think everyone'd have to admit that a massage from a human isn't anything like a massage chair.  The dealership where I get my car serviced has massage chairs for customers to enjoy while they wait.  I sit in one for 5-10 minutes, but that's enough -- they're kinda rough.  And if one (they have three) isn't available, I don't get upset.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No, it's kinda like Vegas using gaming machines instead of humans.  The gaming machines work 24 hours a day, never call in sick, don't need criminal background checks, don't make mistakes or steal money.  In comparison, the need for regular oiling and maintenance is a small thing.  

But, in this particular situation, I think everyone'd have to admit that a massage from a human isn't anything like a massage chair.  The dealership where I get my car serviced has massage chairs for customers to enjoy while they wait.  I sit in one for 5-10 minutes, but that's enough -- they're kinda rough.  And if one (they have three) isn't available, I don't get upset.  

Right. They aren’t much in comparison to a masseuse. I have a massage chair at home. I also get a monthly massage. They are just nice to use in a pinch. Ur dealership offers them to use while u are waiting. The cruise ship doesn’t have that kind of ‘down time’. And most importantly, all real estate is valuable. The spa would never install them. And I suspect they would be opposed to the cruise ship installing them. Also, would people really use them? A local mall has massage chairs for a fee. I’ve never seen them in use.

Edited by sanger727

On 8/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, ldubs said:

Put them on balconies!  

Balconies can get wet and I wouldn't use an electric foot massager that's been installed on one - possibility of too much moisture that would shock my feet (or worse)

7 hours ago, evandbob said:

Balconies can get wet and I wouldn't use an electric foot massager that's been installed on one - possibility of too much moisture that would shock my feet (or worse)

Yes, it would have to be taken inside when it starts to rain.

Maybe the cruise line could charge a deposit plus a fee for hiring the foot massager and check it on return to see that there is no damage or moisture.

Also, since disposable plastic foot covers would have to be used for hygiene, maybe it's advisable to keep these machines in the gym, where the gym assistant can personally make sure that everyone uses a disposable foot cover 

And also charge the cabin card.

Edited by drsel

On 8/20/2023 at 6:54 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

The dealership where I get my car serviced has massage chairs for customers to enjoy while they wait.  I sit in one for 5-10 minutes, but that's enough -- they're kinda rough.  And if one (they have three) isn't available, I don't get upset.  

I use the massage chairs when I get a pedicure here at home. Agree that they are okay for 5-10 minutes but after that, they're a bit annoying! And they don't fit all people - what is intended to hit one part of the body often hits another.

@drsel I agree that massages are overpriced on ships. On our last cruise, I splurged on one and never again. I can have a much better experience here at home for about 30% of the price. So that's where my massage (and acupuncture) dollars go - to a local practitioner. 

12 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

I use the massage chairs when I get a pedicure here at home. Agree that they are okay for 5-10 minutes but after that, they're a bit annoying! And they don't fit all people - what is intended to hit one part of the body often hits another.

@drsel I agree that massages are overpriced on ships. On our last cruise, I splurged on one and never again. I can have a much better experience here at home for about 30% of the price. So that's where my massage (and acupuncture) dollars go - to a local practitioner. 

You should try the relaxing Thai massage and foot massage in Bangkok and Pattaya for 6 dollars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drsel said:

You should try the relaxing Thai massage and foot massage in Bangkok and Pattaya for 6 dollars

If you got a relaxing massage in Thailand, it wasn't a proper Thai massage. Likely a tourist massage.

15 hours ago, evandbob said:

Then, the added bonus of electronic stimulation.  😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mom says said:

If you got a relaxing massage in Thailand, it wasn't a proper Thai massage. Likely a tourist massage.

But there are ONLY tourists at every massage parlour in Pattaya & Bangkok.

There are hundreds of massage parlours in Central Pattaya. Every 2nd shop is a massage parlour & the massages were so cheap, they were almost free

The cost used to be 100 bahts for 1 hour traditional Thai massage or foot massage.

Aromatic, herbal & oil massages used to cost 250--400 bahts for 1 hour.

I'm not sure about the prices now

7 hours ago, drsel said:

But there are ONLY tourists at every massage parlour in Pattaya & Bangkok.

There are hundreds of massage parlours in Central Pattaya. Every 2nd shop is a massage parlour & the massages were so cheap, they were almost free

The cost used to be 100 bahts for 1 hour traditional Thai massage or foot massage.

Aromatic, herbal & oil massages used to cost 250--400 bahts for 1 hour.

I'm not sure about the prices now

Irrelevant.  The point is, a real Thai massage is the antithesis of relaxing. Not the same thing as a tourist massage in Thailand. Just like a massage isn't always a Swedish massage  just because you had it in Stockholm.

16 hours ago, mom says said:

Irrelevant.  The point is, a real Thai massage is the antithesis of relaxing. Not the same thing as a tourist massage in Thailand. Just like a massage isn't always a Swedish massage  just because you had it in Stockholm.

I am interested in massages for relaxation.

I was referring to the traditional Thai massage,  which is assisted stretching  without any oil.

100 bahts (US$ 2.90) for 1 hour in Central Pattaya.

The stretching may be slightly painful while they are doing it, but after the massage you get deep sleep.

It is just so relaxing!

And for US$ 2.90, it is as good as free!

When our Cruise ship stopped for 2 days at Laem Chabang, we did both the traditional Thai massage and the foot massage @ USD 2.90 per hour in Central Pattaya.

When we returned to the ship they had Thai masseurs doing the same massages for over $100 !

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1