For all questions regarding Explora

frogfish12

Of course the memories are the best but the small things do matter. Syrup.  French toast. Tissues in the bath. Quality of beds and bedding. Texture of oatmeal. Soaps. Shower heads. Brand of bacon. Smiles of the crew and staff. I could go on. 
And yes, one of the things we weigh is convenience of arrival and departure so departing in midtown Manhattan where we live was a consideration although the experiences on this itinerary and new ship were primary deciders. 

• Like 2

Maitre’d in Fil Rouge reports that they use real maple syrup. It is so thick they must immerse container in warm water or it will not pour. I can report it us served in small ramekins rather than plastic containers like on SS. 

So how’s that Mr Seabourn?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

What's interesting is that there IS a CD hired - she just hasn't boarded yet which begs the question/statement:  "HUH??!!!"

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tanyacroberts/

I was trying to figure this out but someone else was also listed on Linkedin as CD but their posts stopped 5 months ago .... I'm wondering if Tanya wasn't  immediately available after the first person didn't work out ....

That profile indicates her as Experience Manager, what perhaps means a land based thing to support full entertainment range... She was hired in May!... Formerly Azamara...

Meanwhile; I have never thought this company would to become even more crazy than Virgin Voyages really is. Those wonderful professionals from the mid-to-full luxury will one day go out on their career and MSC will be lost with their Italian based 2nd line folks to round the deal till they're just able to...

Based on the presented anecdotal evidence on this thread we are most likely to book a second 2 week cruise before trying our first this December/January. The Captain and her officers keeping their distance from passengers is more professional, than the gregarious type that have shown to be the first to leave the ship than 'go down with the ship'. What appears to be a negative for some is actually our positive. We could care less for the quality of toilet paper as long as than is ample product some countries do not even use these types of toilets that require paper. This Explora Journeys is becoming more to our liking the more we read. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Maitre’d in Fil Rouge reports that they use real maple syrup. It is so thick they must immerse container in warm water or it will not pour. I can report it us served in small ramekins rather than plastic containers like on SS. 

So how’s that Mr Seabourn?

ROFL!  That would be a good thing although DW and I had no complaints about the maple syrup (or whatever it was) on our recent Seabourn Quest cruise.  I am curious to see what happens the first time I am sitting at a bar on EJ, and ask the bartender (or waiter) to bring me an order of caviar!  On SB, they soon deliver a large platter with a nice portion of decent caviar (you can order a double portion) surrounded with all the fixens.  

I am also curious how EJ deals with the lack of a pool grill.  We have been on over 75 different cruise ships, and every single one had a pool grill!  On a sea day we often enjoy having lunch on the pool deck (often in our loungers).  Will that be an option on EJ (guess they would need to bring food from inside)?  Also consider that on Princess (a basic mass market line) one can order food/drinks on their app (from anywhere on the ship) and it will be delivered directly to your location...whether that be in an outdoor lounger, a deck chair, etc.  On Seabourn, you can also get that kind of service, but it must be done by ordering directly from a nearby waiter.

As one who cruises on many different lines (including luxury lines) one expects to adapt to each line's idiosyncrasies.   But on luxury lines, the staff should also learn how to adapt to the passengers!  On our recent SB cruise, DW and I spent many mornings in their Observation Bar (great view...but the bar is closed during the morning).  DW and I enjoy a mimosa (her) and a spicy bloody mary (me) on sea days.  One of the deck servers quickly figured out our habit and would trek up to the Observation Bar around 10am with our drinks (which we did not even order!).  We never asked him to do this, but he simply used his own initiative (thank you Billy).  That is the kind of little thing that separates a luxury line from the mass market lines.

Hank

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Based on the presented anecdotal evidence on this thread we are most likely to book a second 2 week cruise before trying our first this December/January. The Captain and her officers keeping their distance from passengers is more professional, than the gregarious type that have shown to be the first to leave the ship than 'go down with the ship'. What appears to be a negative for some is actually our positive. We could care less for the quality of toilet paper as long as than is ample product some countries do not even use these types of toilets that require paper. This Explora Journeys is becoming more to our liking the more we read. Thank you.

Brothers from a different mother???!!!!  (or a sister?!)

I had three booked and am booking a fourth!

The "old model" doesn't really work for me any more but I do like a Cruise Director to get the "feel" of the crowd as to what entertainment will be on offer as it is so free flowing. There IS one coming and it was also referenced in one of the always reliable UKTOG's posts.

OK - for what I'm paying I will respectfully disagree on the toilet paper. Too many memories of my first visit to Eastern Europe in the 70's with their notorious TP specialty that was waxed paper on one side but remarkable enough sand paper on the other!

Oceania had astonishingly brusque officers and I couldn't confirm that a Captain was actually on Regent. I could frankly care less but I do appreciate senior officers making the rounds, again just to get a feel of the place. The p---ing contests that are the repeaters receptions drive me insane. Hours of humble bragging that I can never get back in my life.

So yes - here's to something new!  When you make an omelet, you're gonna break some eggs!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not a caviar man myself. Something about unborn fish. 
No Pool grill have I seen but you are never far from eats. Or booze. 
Forward lounge is best we have seen on any ship. Yes, there is a bar. Large outdoor space with cushioned seats as well as huge indoor tastefully decorated space. Our favorite spot to hang.  
The new way of cruising (sans CDs and  sillyparties) is beginning to get to me and I like it. 
The onboard entertainment and lectures are third rate at best. Dropped by main lounge last night and they had alone woman playing an electric violin with electronic back up. Pathetic. And the lounge was totally empty. Doesn’t bother me one whit as we are usually snug in our bunks by 9:30.

Tours usually go off between 8and 9. Need to be fresh for that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Brothers from a different mother???!!!!  (or a sister?!) - Huh! Wonderful to have good humour these days. It's salt of life really!...

I had three booked and am booking a fourth! - Lucky you! I was salivating a sampler cruise out of Lisbon just to know it was cancelled and Lisbon is now a mid port on later options... Time will tell...

The "old model" doesn't really work for me any more but I do like a Cruise Director to get the "feel" of the crowd as to what entertainment will be on offer as it is so free flowing. There IS one coming and it was also referenced in one of the always reliable UKTOG's posts. - They hired the gal in May, so why is she not inside ship? And strange post description to say the least!...

OK - for what I'm paying I will respectfully disagree on the toilet paper. Too many memories of my first visit to Eastern Europe in the 70's with their notorious TP specialty that was waxed paper on one side but remarkable enough sand paper on the other! - Portuguese Renova Black Premium Edition would to do the trick like on UAE's Jumeirah top hotels!...

Oceania had astonishingly brusque officers and I couldn't confirm that a Captain was actually on Regent. I could frankly care less but I do appreciate senior officers making the rounds, again just to get a feel of the place. The p---ing contests that are the repeaters receptions drive me insane. Hours of humble bragging that I can never get back in my life. - Top officers are there to make their job. A single "hello!" suffixes for me, and I have rarely had one, even on MSC whom didn't go that way. Let them to do their job while we enjoy the trip. I'm in for reserved professionalism, and that is what still calls me to mainstream MSC. I want my crew to deliver me service, not to be my best friends for the week.

So yes - here's to something new!  When you make an omelet, you're gonna break some eggs! - Sure!... But this company is crazy as hell!... Interestingly, while I'm out for the times being... I'm also starting to be tempted to toss some 10-12k for 2 for a week on one of their med itineraries just to see what the heck is really this. There is something addictive to their new model in some ways... Time will tell. I'm out of sea for nearly 5 years and perhaps my next will for some reasons to be only 2025... Time will tell... Maybe 2024, if awaiting to 2025 is seen as too much to have this around!...

It seems those of us following these threads fall into 2 categories

Those who are not deterred and are willing to book multiple cruises.

Those who cancelled and will not rebook or those who wish they could cancel without penalty.

I hope it turns out well for those who will continue to book and sail.  Explora has an uphill road on repairing the damage done by some of these reports.  It takes a long time to building a great reputation and one 1 day to lose it.

A new cruise line is always a gamble.   Many of us believed that MSC had lots of experience in the cruise arena. I am just surprised that an experienced cruise line such as MSC is having such a hard time delivering on its promisees and making things work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Not a caviar man myself. Something about unborn fish. 
No Pool grill have I seen but you are never far from eats. Or booze. 
Forward lounge is best we have seen on any ship. Yes, there is a bar. Large outdoor space with cushioned seats as well as huge indoor tastefully decorated space. Our favorite spot to hang.  
The new way of cruising (sans CDs and  sillyparties) is beginning to get to me and I like it. 
The onboard entertainment and lectures are third rate at best. Dropped by main lounge last night and they had alone woman playing an electric violin with electronic back up. Pathetic. And the lounge was totally empty. Doesn’t bother me one whit as we are usually snug in our bunks by 9:30.

Tours usually go off between 8and 9. Need to be fresh for that. 

1.  Has there been any classical music in any venue at any time so far?

2.  Are the hot tubs actually hot, i.e., above body temperature?  I ask this because my DH was surprised and disappointed that on Hapag Lloyd (which is still my favorite line)  they only heat them to 28 C, that is the policy.

3.  Is your cruise full?

4.  How is the service in the dining venues (I have found that on many lines, dining personnel are not uncommonly the weak link).

Thanks in advance (apologies if my questions have been covered elsewhere on the Explora forum). 

• Like 1

No classical music. No formal wear needed. 
Wait staff exclusively south Asian and Filipino. Many have never sailed on ships before so they are a little green but many have had wait experience in the Gulf. 
Many hot tubs including super large along port side of pool deck so you are looking out to sea and not at pool people. Very nice. 
Jams are presented in little ramekins rather than in small jars. Butter containers much larger than little squares. 
Another nice touch I have never seen before is push button to open public restrooms. So no need to use a tissue on door handle when you exit. I might add public restrooms are quite elegant. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Another nice touch I have never seen before is push button to open public restrooms. So no need to use a tissue on door handle when you exit. I might add public restrooms are quite elegant. 

So one only needs a tissue to press the button or is it the kind of button one just gets within an inch and it is activated ?

Re public restrooms. Amazing!!  Just get close to magic button inside or out and door opens. No touching necessary!!!

While we are at it. Explora has the best bread we have had on any ship. They say it is some special French flour they use. Scrumptious. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Whipsnade, we are planning on bringing a few bottles of wine on our October Explora cruise. I’d appreciate it if, at your convenience, you could please check to see if Explora charges a corkage fee to bring a bottle of wine to a dining room. Thanks.

Dave

That wine may even taste better.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/04/cunard-reveals-why-chocolate-tastes-better-at-sea/?feed_id=2358&_unique_id=64307c875311f

"Professor Spence, a gastrophysicist from the University of Oxford, said that food and drink taste better when having a good time. This is known as the ‘Provencal rose paradox’ which, according to Spence, everyone has experienced at some point in time.

“It relates to the fact that food and drink seem to taste so much better when we are on holiday, whether this is with our family in the Mediterranean, or traveling solo with the sun on our backs,” said Spence. 

“So nice in fact, that we are even tempted to buy a few bottles of that same holiday wine, to bring back home and share on a cold winter’s evening. Only it never tastes the same; it is disappointing somehow.

“The reason is that when we are on holiday, we are likely to be relaxed and in a better mood, and food simply tastes better when we are in a better mood. Given that people don’t often cruise for work, they are likely to be happy and relaxed on their cruise hence making food and drink taste better.”

Salt is known as a flavor enhancer, helping to mask bitterness in certain foods or drinks such as tonic water or grapefruit, while enhancing the taste of many other foods including chocolate. However, according to Spence, salt is not the only factor that enhances the taste as even seeing, smelling, and hearing the sea may also conceptually prime notions of saltiness too, thus enhancing the sensation even more."

9 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

One hundred percent fascinating (and true!)…

Thanks for a positive post on this board for a change…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

That wine may even taste better.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/04/cunard-reveals-why-chocolate-tastes-better-at-sea/?feed_id=2358&_unique_id=64307c875311f

"Professor Spence, a gastrophysicist from the University of Oxford, said that food and drink taste better when having a good time. This is known as the ‘Provencal rose paradox’ which, according to Spence, everyone has experienced at some point in time.

“It relates to the fact that food and drink seem to taste so much better when we are on holiday, whether this is with our family in the Mediterranean, or traveling solo with the sun on our backs,” said Spence. 

“So nice in fact, that we are even tempted to buy a few bottles of that same holiday wine, to bring back home and share on a cold winter’s evening. Only it never tastes the same; it is disappointing somehow.

“The reason is that when we are on holiday, we are likely to be relaxed and in a better mood, and food simply tastes better when we are in a better mood. Given that people don’t often cruise for work, they are likely to be happy and relaxed on their cruise hence making food and drink taste better.”

Salt is known as a flavor enhancer, helping to mask bitterness in certain foods or drinks such as tonic water or grapefruit, while enhancing the taste of many other foods including chocolate. However, according to Spence, salt is not the only factor that enhances the taste as even seeing, smelling, and hearing the sea may also conceptually prime notions of saltiness too, thus enhancing the sensation even more."

Ok.  The ‘Professor’ is back as topics have become informative and entertaining again. 😀. On holiday we are generally less anxious and/or depressed (well once we actually sail). Anxiety and depression are linked to Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). SPD is sometimes called sensory overload, in which sensory input to the brain is so intense that the brain may not respond with appropriate motor and behavioral responses. SPD in its more severe manifestation is postulated to be related to severe medical conditions like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is a pain perception disorder. So yes, those of us who enjoy cruise vacations may be less anxious and depressed at sea. Thus, our sensory inputs to our brains, like tastes and smells, may be better able to be processed as pleasurable experiences. Now, vestibular sensory input, as in motion sickness, that’s a whole other kettle of fish. 😀

just puttin’ this out there 😀

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

Ok.  The ‘Professor’ is back as topics have become informative and entertaining again. 😀. On holiday we are generally less anxious and/or depressed (well once we actually sail). Anxiety and depression are linked to Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). SPD is sometimes called sensory overload, in which sensory input to the brain is so intense that the brain may not respond with appropriate motor and behavioral responses. SPD in its more severe manifestation is postulated to be related to severe medical conditions like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is a pain perception disorder. So yes, those of us who enjoy cruise vacations may be less anxious and depressed at sea. Thus, our sensory inputs to our brains, like tastes and smells, may be better able to be processed as pleasurable experiences. Now, vestibular sensory input, as in motion sickness, that’s a whole other kettle of fish. 😀

just puttin’ this out there 😀

In that case should we avoid cruises in places like the Norwegian Fjords or the Amalfi Coast, whose beauty will create sensory overload and make the food taste bland?  😉

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Re public restrooms. Amazing!!  Just get close to magic button inside or out and door opens. No touching necessary!!!

While we are at it. Explora has the best bread we have had on any ship. They say it is some special French flour they use. Scrumptious. 

I’m really enjoying reading about some of the ‘little’ things that you are noting EJ has done. I’m not ignoring the reported shortfalls which need to be addressed, just impressed with the sorts of things that I will get to experience within the week. 

3 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

I’m really enjoying reading about some of the ‘little’ things that you are noting EJ has done. I’m not ignoring the reported shortfalls which need to be addressed, just impressed with the sorts of things that I will get to experience within the week. 

Absolutely yesyesyes I will experience in one month 1st hand

I am confident it will be EXCELLENT 

How about positivity in our sharing and in posts

12 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

Have a great cruise hope you love it

I will check re bringing wine on board as to whether there is corkage. 
The wines they serve are the same every day. A chenin Blanc and I forgot the red. If you know the somnelier he will bring you anither choice if you like. The wine waiters will not. 
The wine list, while not extensive is mostly reasonably priced. Many bottles in the $60 to $80 range. Yes,fir the high rollers there are some for $1000. 
Will report back. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Re public restrooms. Amazing!!  Just get close to magic button inside out and door opens. No touching necessary!!!

Don't know if this has already been covered -- on board now and falling behind on reading messages -- but another interesting restroom innovation -- the sinks have what appears to be three identical brass spigots.  At first I thought "huh??"  But if you hold your hand under the first one on the right it dispenses soap.  Move on to the middle one and it turns on with water.  Then place your hand under the third one on the left and it shoots out hot air to dry your hands.  (There are also rolled up cloth towels for anyone not interested in an "air dry"!}

Edited by daleandrews
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1