Response from Princess to email re changes

rosevew

Just now, startedwithamouse said:

Just because they now charge $12 for a pizza?  

Yes to be honest we like another line better but we really liked that there was this complimentary dining option for lunch, it really made our cruise and is something Princess does that other lines do not do.

We didn’t experience the long lines like others have because we went on port days when we got back say mid afternoon. We loved the alternative lunch option, it was great. 

I know it’s not very expensive but it just feels like they are taking more away from the experience. I’d rather pay more for the cruise in the first place and know that everything’s included.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Thanks we probably won’t be cruising Princess again then. 

Do you know how much it is?

There are extensive threads about the new Casual Dining fees.  One thread has sample menus posted, but at least two of them have turned out different on the ships.

PCL already had a number of "for-fee" casual dining locations.  Alfredo's/Gigi's most likely ought to have been in this category for some time already.  This is the only change as all other existing free casual dining locations remain as such.

There are two options dining at Alfredo's/Gigi's.  Guest can order prix fixe for $15 and get an App, a Main, and a Dessert.  Or, guest can order a la carte with a personal pizza costing $8.50.

If you cruise with Plus Fare Package, you get two free prix fixe meals at any of the "for-fee" CD locations.  Note that all of the other locations now also have a prix fixe option for $15 in addition to the a la carte options.

If you cruise with Premier Fare package, you get unlimited CD visits.

Edited by Steelers36

Just now, Steelers36 said:

There are extensive threads about the new Casual Dining fees.  One thread has sample menus posted, but at least two of them have turned out different on the ships.

PCL already had a number of "for-fee" casual dining locations.  Alfredo's/Gigi's most likely ought to have been in this category for some time already.  This is the only change as all other existing free casual dining locations remain as such.

There are two options dining at Alfredo's/Gigi's.  Guest can order prix fixe for $15 and get an App, a Main, and a Dessert.  Or, guest can order a la carte with a personal pizza costing $8.50.

If you cruise with Plus Fare Package, you get two free prix fixe meals at any of the "for-fee" CD locations.  Note that all of the other locations now also have a prix fixe option for $15 in addition to the a la carte options.

If you cruise with Premier Fare package, you get unlimited CD visits.

Very informative thank you

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rosevew said:

I believe it depends on the ship and is $12 for the pizza on Sky 

Have you seen this for certain?  CC Members have posted from a Grand Class and a Royal Class and in both cases the menu was $8.50 for pizza.  The Royal Class has the "full" Alfredo's experience and menu, so IDK why some ship would be different.  TBH, I do not recall which RC ship was reported about.

5 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Yes to be honest we like another line better but we really liked that there was this complimentary dining option for lunch, it really made our cruise and is something Princess does that other lines do not do.

We didn’t experience the long lines like others have because we went on port days when we got back say mid afternoon. We loved the alternative lunch option, it was great. 

I know it’s not very expensive but it just feels like they are taking more away from the experience. I’d rather pay more for the cruise in the first place and know that everything’s included.

Gigi's (Discovery's version of Alfredo's) was always slammed, with people waiting an hour for lunch or dinner, given a pager which you had to remain in the piazza to be notified. 

Just now, startedwithamouse said:

Gigi's (Discovery's version of Alfredo's) was always slammed, with people waiting an hour for lunch or dinner, given a pager which you had to remain in the piazza to be notified. 

We didn’t have that, but we would never try and go at lunchtime on a sea day. 

Perhaps they could do a booking system?

11 hours ago, ldtr said:

For now.  Problem is that people buy packages they have no incentive to change.  This is a done deal, but if enough of the package buyers raise the same point about number per long cruises they might be able to influence that aspect.

The best thing one can do is to make those comments consistently, especially on the end of cruise surveys.

I suspect that if the benefit was only for Alfredos then the limit might not have been that.  Since even unlimited would not provide any additional loss of revenue compared to prior to the change.

I suspect that Princess is doing two things.

1. Bring Alfredo's into the casual category where they always wanted it to be.  Especially in preparation for the changes with the launch of the Sphere class ships.  Alfredo's has always been unique, ever since Princess backed off on making it a pay for venue back when Regal was launchec.

2. Add perceived value to the packages.

The problem is that by getting Alfredo's into the casual category where they have been charging for other venues (and there will be more in the sphere class) they constructed the benefit for all of the casual class venues.  So there was a potential loss of revenue if they made it unlimited access to casual dining and if they made Alfredo's unique and not made it apply to the other casual dining venues then they will not have brought Alfredo's into the fold so to speak.

It would be interesting to see the models they are running and the data that goes into that drives the 2 per cruise (was it just to be in alignment with Specialty dining, or was there an actual financial driver)

Agree.  My objection is for the fact the change was made to existing and paid in full reservations, in our case about 40 days before we sail.  If anything, it should have been grandfathered in for those beyond final payment.  For those not yet to final payment they still have the option of cancelling.
I have a contact at corporate that I have discussed this with and it appears there will be no exceptions to the newly stated benefits.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Is this true that they are now going to charge for Alfredos? 

This is my favourite thing about Princess, that we could have a sit down complimentary meal as an alternative to the buffet or dining room at lunchtime. It set Princess apart for me from other lines who would definitely charge for this restaurant. It also made up for the fact that the service and food is not as good as other lines in my opinion.

I am very unlikely to cruise with Princess again if they take this complimentary dining option away.

Paying a little might well be preferable to the 1 hour plus wait there was for a table in June on the Discovery to some people

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Just check your onboard account first day. It should already be listed.

But the fine print excludes flightseeing tours.  We have always been refunded our other tours immediately upon boarding but have never reserved a flightseeing tour so I assume we will not be refunded the 10% for that tour

9 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

These were both port days and sea days. It was slammed on port day since the MDR was closed.

When there are lots of families on board it is like being in a Chucky Cheese

• Like 2

Is it the pizza that is charged?  

What if:

I have lunch with someone who has a Plus or Premier package, orders a pizza (no cost), and shares it with me. Will there be a split charge?  Per Person charge?

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Have you seen this for certain?  CC Members have posted from a Grand Class and a Royal Class and in both cases the menu was $8.50 for pizza.  The Royal Class has the "full" Alfredo's experience and menu, so IDK why some ship would be different.  TBH, I do not recall which RC ship was reported about.

Very few Grand class ships have a pizza restaurant 

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

After following this discussion, I cannot help but be reminded of two maxims from my Economics 101 professor back in the 1970s.

1.  Charge what the traffic will bear.

2.  If you want more of something, subsidize it and if you want less of something tax (charge for) it.

All of our postings here are just whistling into the wind when we, as consumers, have the final say on how we choose to spend our money.  For example, if I'm looking for a hotel stay and they charge a "resort fee", I look elsewhere. However, as long as a sufficient number of people will pony up the resort fee, the hotel is charging what the traffic will bear and there is no incentive for them to change their pricing structure.  

The free market economy works for the benefit of the consumer as it fosters innovation and competition.  

There are plenty of ships that sail the seas.  I just try to be on one where I can find something to eat when I'm hungry and a wee dram in the evening.

Princess will have metrics on what they expect to accomplish with the changes. Unless they deviate from those expectations they have no reason to adjust. Such metrics could be new bookings rates from existing customers (by various demographic slices), package purchase rates, specialty and casual dining use rates by users of packages, as well as others, etc.

If these perform within expected ranges no incentive of cruise lines to modify.

8 hours ago, SCX22 said:

2 is closer to 0.  Pretty soon, there will be 0 Casual Dining included with any of the packages.

It just does not make sense nor seem fair, to me anyway, that 2 casual meals are provided without regard to how long one's cruise is.
When it was first put out there it said 2 free casual meals "based on a 7 day sailing", which to me sounded like there would be 2 free per 7 days of sailing.  But no, just 2 no matter what. It feels like a poke in the eye for those of us who do longer sailings.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, suzyed said:

It just does not make sense nor seem fair, to me anyway, that 2 casual meals are provided without regard to how long one's cruise is.
When it was first put out there it said 2 free casual meals "based on a 7 day sailing", which to me sounded like there would be 2 free per 7 days of sailing.  But no, just 2 no matter what.

Fully agree. Since we are paying the extra $ per day, the meals should be based on a 7 day sailing. 

• Like 3