Madrid or Barcelona pre cruise?

Jjg34219

Have you been to Barcelona? If not, I consider it a must see. You can easily spend a week there. The last morning on the extension you will have the same tour as the included tour when on the ship (you’ll have the bus tour around town before you board). This gives you an extra day of sightseeing instead of another travel day.

I also recommend Barcelona Day Tours for your free day there. Family run and excellent guides.

Here is my writeup

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2927474-almost-live-viking-sky-mediterranean-odyssey-april-2023/page/3/#comment-65262761

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I consider it a must see.

I've not been to Madrid and so can't speak to it, but, I have to agree that Barcelona is a terrific city to visit. We did a post-extension there awhile back and loved having the extra time. Did an all-day private tour booked through Viator. The guide was terrific. Some highlights are the Sagrada Familia and Park Güell. Both are amazing. Could have spent another day easily. We used the HOHO and had a great time - got to see at least several places that would have been nice to spend more time at.

Edited by OnTheJourney

53 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

You saw more than we did. Our cruise disembarked there so it was a matter of add an extension and get to see a few things or else head to the airport. Glad we added extra time. I can't complain though since the cruise was free. It was the non-public invitational cruise that Viking put together for those who were on the infamous Viking Sky Northern Lights cruise of March '19. We were the first group to sail on the new Mars. The cruise was supposed to be Jan. '21 but due to covid that never happened. Wasn't sure they'd ever come up with another plan. When they did, we only had like 2 weeks to decide on it. It interfered with another cruise we had booked, so had to finagle things around. Glad we decided to go. The crew treated us like royalty and there were some extra touches that looked back on the rather unique Sky 'adventure'. Sort of brought closure to that whole episode. Torstein was onboard along with Karine and her husband, AND the Viking dogs!!! They were mobbed wherever they showed up.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Have you been to Barcelona? If not, I consider it a must see. You can easily spend a week there. The last morning on the extension you will have the same tour as the included tour when on the ship (you’ll have the bus tour around town before you board). This gives you an extra day of sightseeing instead of another travel day.

I also recommend Barcelona Day Tours for your free day there. Family run and excellent guides.

Here is my writeup

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2927474-almost-live-viking-sky-mediterranean-odyssey-april-2023/page/3/#comment-65262761

I agree that Barcelona Day Tours is excellent.  Barcelona is amazing.  Finally getting to Madrid this winter but been to Barcelona twice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Here is my writeup

Absolutely agree.  Stay on in Barcelona!!  And Barcelona day tours is great. 

• Like 1

Well, I am a person who has studied, worked, and traveled extensively in Spain, and on my upcoming cruise (Rome to Barcelona) I am definitely NOT going to Madrid, only because the temptation to see and do more would be overwhelming!

Yes, Barcelona is very nice, and touring the Gothic quarter, La Rambla, the museums, and all the Gaudi creations will definitely use up two of your days.  With an extra day I would head to Montserrat and/or Girona on a day trip.

Barcelona is about two-three hours from Madrid on the train, but in many ways it is a bit isolated since it sits somewhat alone on the northeastern coast. However, once in Madrid one can make a circle of great historic cities to visit all nearby, which I would not be able to resist!  Of course I could spend two days just touring in the capital, but I could not leave without going to Toledo, or Avila, or Segovia, or Salamanca, and then I would want to go south to Sevilla and Granada, and maybe see Cordoba.  By that time more than a week has passed, and I still will not want to leave. (I have been to all of those places multiple times and even have favorite hotels, etc., but they are wonderful to see again and again.)

If you have never been to Spain before, you will find so much to see in Madrid and surroundings that two days is almost not worth the bother.  So I agree with all above--just stay in Barcelona!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

Well, I am a person who has studied, worked, and traveled extensively in Spain, and on my upcoming cruise (Rome to Barcelona) I am definitely NOT going to Madrid, only because the temptation to see and do more would be overwhelming!

Yes, Barcelona is very nice, and touring the Gothic quarter, La Rambla, the museums, and all the Gaudi creations will definitely use up two of your days.  With an extra day I would head to Montserrat and/or Girona on a day trip.

Barcelona is about two-three hours from Madrid on the train, but in many ways it is a bit isolated since it sits somewhat alone on the northeastern coast. However, once in Madrid one can make a circle of great historic cities to visit all nearby, which I would not be able to resist!  Of course I could spend two days just touring in the capital, but I could not leave without going to Toledo, or Avila, or Segovia, or Salamanca, and then I would want to go south to Sevilla and Granada, and maybe see Cordoba.  By that time more than a week has passed, and I still will not want to leave. (I have been to all of those places multiple times and even have favorite hotels, etc., but they are wonderful to see again and again.)

If you have never been to Spain before, you will find so much to see in Madrid and surroundings that two days is almost not worth the bother.  So I agree with all above--just stay in Barcelona!

As a Madrid native, I mostly agree with all of the above. If this is your first time to Spain and you want an overview of the country, then a combination of Madrid and Barcelona will give the broadest exposure given the limited time you'll have. if you want to take it easy and get more of a local immersion, stays in Barcelona and don't dilute you limited time traveling form one city to the other along with the attendant checking in and checking out of hotels, traveling from one city to the other, etc.

Madrid, the nearby cities listed above, the south, the north west, and the rest of Spain deserve to be seen at a more leisurely pace.

Enjoy!

• Like 4

Thank you everyone. This is our first time, so I think you have convinced me to do Barcelona. At first thought, Madrid was going to allow us to see more, but was concerned we would feel too rushed. Thanks again!

I have not lived in nor travelled extensively in Spain but I have spent equal time in both Madrid and Barcelona and would return to Madrid in a heartbeat ... even for a short trip it is a wonderful city and an awesome experience.  Barcelona was fun and we enjoyed our time there but have NO desire to return.  Not being a Gaudi fan (I know ... I'm in the minority) Barcelona got tiring after a short time and we headed to Montseratt to get a change of scenery.  LOVED every minute in Madrid!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, molymoo said:

I have not lived in nor travelled extensively in Spain but I have spent equal time in both Madrid and Barcelona and would return to Madrid in a heartbeat ... even for a short trip it is a wonderful city and an awesome experience.  Barcelona was fun and we enjoyed our time there but have NO desire to return.  Not being a Gaudi fan (I know ... I'm in the minority) Barcelona got tiring after a short time and we headed to Montseratt to get a change of scenery.  LOVED every minute in Madrid!!

Totally agree. If you plan to go on other Viking Med cruises, chances re Barcelona will be a port, giving you the option to spend more time there. BTW, I’m no art enthusiast, but I loved the Prado over the Gaudi stuff.

• Like 1

We did the Madrid add on before our cruise that left out of Barcelona. We were blown away by Madrid! Viking did everything right on that trip and this add on was no different. We had great guides (loved the Prado too and we aren't really art enthusiasts either). The high speed train was a fantastic way to travel - much better than flying I can tell you. Everything was seamless and we would highly recommend. We didn't really see much of Barcelona that trip (we went to Monseratt -excellent! - which ate up much of our time there) so we are going a few days early on our trip this November. So I can't compare the two but Madrid was a definite gem!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, molymoo said:

Barcelona is one of our favorite cities of the world.  Even though I have no desire to redecorate my home in the Gaudi style, I still find the Sagrada Familia and the Parc Guell glorious and joyful experiences. Even after three short visits to Barcelona, I still want to see more.

Our one visit to Madrid was disappointing, but to be honest that was mostly due to bad planning on our part. I have recently been wanting to plan a return there, especially to see the Sorolla Museum, which we missed on our first visit. 

Liberty Bella, I will second your opinion regarding so many places we have also visited in Spain. Toledo, Granada, Seville, Cordoba were places we really loved, and there are so many other places we hope to visit in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scmomofboys said:

We did the Madrid add on before our cruise that left out of Barcelona. We were blown away by Madrid! Viking did everything right on that trip and this add on was no different. We had great guides (loved the Prado too and we aren't really art enthusiasts either). The high speed train was a fantastic way to travel - much better than flying I can tell you. Everything was seamless and we would highly recommend. We didn't really see much of Barcelona that trip (we went to Monseratt -excellent! - which ate up much of our time there) so we are going a few days early on our trip this November. So I can't compare the two but Madrid was a definite gem!

We have not ever been to Spain. We arent ones to really delve into a certain site like a museum, but prefer to just “see” lots if that makes sense. Thats why I was kinda leaning towards Madrid to start…get like a day and a half there, do the train which we have never done, and since we overnight in Barcelona thought we should get a good feel for the sites there day one of the cruise. My one concern was maybe that plan would be kinda hectic vs just doing Barcelona more leisurely.

Going by the Viking descriptions of the 2 pre stays, I think doing Madrid is better value, and the hotel they say they use looks better than the Barcelona one.

So thats why I like to throw these questions out. At our ages (early 70s) we know our good travel days are numbered, and God only knows when or if we get back.

Thanks for your input..now Im back on the fence..lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jjg34219 said:

At our ages (early 70s) we know our good travel days are numbered, and God only knows when or if we get back.

I hear you. Several long-distance destinations I always hoped to get to but very honestly I don't think it'll happen anymore. Have to be realistic. Do it while you can.  If you can have some time in both cities, sounds like a good compromise 😉  There's always more to see wherever you go. Can't do it all.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

It probably depends on a few things.  If you are more of a city person I would say Barcelona.  If you enjoy getting out to some quaint villages then I would choose Madrid.  We stayed for 5 days in Madrid and did train day trips.  We had a fabulous time!  Barcelona we did in 2 days and I enjoyed it but don't feel the need to return.

Well, if you think you will not be returning to Spain, I would recommend extending your trip pre-cruise and then definitely going to Madrid for at least three-four days (fly in to Madrid), so you can see a bit of the city (city overview tour, Royal Palace, Prado Museum), and do one or two bus day trips (Toledo & Segovia first/then perhaps Avila & Salamanca), so you will have more of a taste of the country. Then head to Barcelona (by high speed train) for one (or two) day(s) pre-cruise.  Overall Spain is not extremely expensive, although Viking always selects high-cost hotels for their extensions.  

You do have a LOT of sea days on your cruise, so it seems they are crossing the Atlantic VERY slowly.

For us, we prefer more port time than sea time, because we are avid sightseers. 

39 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

Well, if you think you will not be returning to Spain, I would recommend extending your trip pre-cruise and then definitely going to Madrid for at least three-four days (fly in to Madrid), so you can see a bit of the city (city overview tour, Royal Palace, Prado Museum), and do one or two bus day trips (Toledo & Segovia first/then perhaps Avila & Salamanca), so you will have more of a taste of the country. Then head to Barcelona (by high speed train) for one (or two) day(s) pre-cruise.  Overall Spain is not extremely expensive, although Viking always selects high-cost hotels for their extensions.  

You do have a LOT of sea days on your cruise, so it seems they are crossing the Atlantic VERY slowly.

For us, we prefer more port time than sea time, because we are avid sightseers. 

if you end up going to Madrid for a few days and you like museums, just a few hundred yards from the Prado museum you'll find the Reina Sofia Museum where Picasso's Guernica is exhibited. Impressive and definitely worth a visit. 

• Thanks 1

I would personally pick Madrid.  We have been to 5 or 6 cities in Spain, and Madrid still remains my favourite for many reasons, but the 2 main are:

Less tourists and the food culture.

Madrid is more authentically Spanish and a more local feeling culture.  When you are in the downtown areas of Madrid you are eating along the streets with locals, not mostly tourists.

Personally Barcelona is just too busy for me, but you have to see that too.

If there is flexibility, I would do 2 nights Madrid, and then 1 extra in Barcelona.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I would personally pick Madrid.  We have been to 5 or 6 cities in Spain, and Madrid still remains my favourite for many reasons, but the 2 main are:

Less tourists and the food culture.

Madrid is more authentically Spanish and a more local feeling culture.  When you are in the downtown areas of Madrid you are eating along the streets with locals, not mostly tourists.

Personally Barcelona is just too busy for me, but you have to see that too.

If there is flexibility, I would do 2 nights Madrid, and then 1 extra in Barcelona.

I would second that - Barcelona now is too busy. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

I would second that - Barcelona now is too busy. 

Now, to be fair, we have friends that LOVE Barcelona, but they don't stay in the city centre.  They are outside the city in the suburbs and they travel into the city when they want or need somethin.

If however it was a city centre experience you are looking for and you want more authentic, choose Madrid.

The one thing against Madrid is that it is not on the water.  It is landlocked, but that does not matter to me.

We did a pre-tour to Madrid with Viking.  Excellent guide, especially for the Pardo museum. Guide was explained how the different colors (paints) used in a painting reflected the cost.  Also pointed out  a painting that Ruben's had "copied" and also Rubens true "style" of the "same" scene. Our high speed train was First Class with a hot meal.  It was wonderful to watch the landscape as we traveled to Barcelona.

Which ever you choose, enjoy your tours and cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MSEm said:

We did a pre-tour to Madrid with Viking.  Excellent guide, especially for the Pardo museum. Guide was explained how the different colors (paints) used in a painting reflected the cost.  Also pointed out  a painting that Ruben's had "copied" and also Rubens true "style" of the "same" scene. Our high speed train was First Class with a hot meal.  It was wonderful to watch the landscape as we traveled to Barcelona.

Which ever you choose, enjoy your tours and cruise.

100% our Madrid experience as well.

8 hours ago, Squawkman said:

100% our Madrid experience as well.

Thank you for all your comments.  We have a cruise in the future out of Lisbon and had chosen to spend 4 days in Madrid ahead of time, since we've never been and have been to Barcelona 3 times.  Glad to hear it is less touristy and more local oriented than Barcelona, which is indeed packed with tourists (many American!).