A Complement to the Oceania Cruises CruiseCritic.com Blog from a New Oceania Guest

Sthrngary

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Me too.

Tripadvisor owns Cruise Critic yet the moderating could not be more different. On TA, posts are removed from view simply by sufficient contributors reporting them (some get reinstated once a moderator has looked at them).

You can also report posts  here  as well

• Like 1

As I said, I haven’t cruised O yet. And I dearly hope, and would expect,  O to better than Cunard Brittania. I have only sailed Queens Grill, and it has always been exceptional, except the scrambled eggs, which just seems to be the way they are made in Britain.

• Like 1

Yep, I did know that, LHT. My  more general point was the different styles between CC and TA, even though they are under the  same ownership.

That said, as a general rule, I'm not in favour of posts being deleted. I'd rather the aggressive (or whatever) posts remained on view, so that folk can form their own view of the poster. I've never reported a post on CC and can only recall two occasions on TA - one that was overtly racist and another that was urging a minor to do something that was illegal under Spanish law. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, techteach said:

except the scrambled eggs, which just seems to be the way they are made in Britain

Now there's a subject for the Cruise Foodies forum - the International Scrambled Eggs thread. 😀

On the other side of your coin, I've never been keen on how they seem to be generally made in America - more chopped omelette than scrambled. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Harters said:

Now there's a subject for the Cruise Foodies forum - the International Scrambled Eggs thread. 😀

On the other side of your coin, I've never been keen on how they seem to be generally made in America - more chopped omelette than scrambled. 

I think we all would prefer our meals the way grandma cooked it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, osandomir said:

think we all would prefer our meals the way grandma cooked it.

Although possibly not if you're British. By the by, my mother and my mother-in-law were probably  the two worst cooks I've come across. Although both had the misfortune to start their cooking in the immediate aftermath of the Second World War, with food rationing still in place for several years (I think I would have been about 4 when the final things came off ration). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Although possibly not if you're British. By the by, my mother and my mother-in-law were probably  the two worst cooks I've come across. Although both had the misfortune to start their cooking in the immediate aftermath of the Second World War, with food rationing still in place for several years (I think I would have been about 4 when the final things came off ration). 

Sorry, I guess some nationalities are excluded 🙁

3 hours ago, Harters said:

By the by, my mother and my mother-in-law were probably  the two worst cooks I've come across. 

My mother started cooking only when her mother died, and her cooking was... well, it was food that had been cooked. That's about all I can say. Sorry for those who want to stick to the topic of the thread: sometimes a bit of personal connection is nice.

• Haha 3

I guess the question about who the "Cruise Brand Line" was directed to me.  Someone else was quoted and I was not in the reply so I saw it and did not answer it.  One person suggested it was Crystal Cruises @nancygp.  Nancy was someone whom I remember from the Crystal Board to have been both loyal to the brand, professional with all of her responses and open to helping new clients.  Although Crystal was a new level of guest brand loyalty most contributors were kind and thoughtful. They were a like minded group and when I cruised on Crystal, I could clearly see what they were talking about.  Best Food, Best Butler, Best Cigar Lounge, best personalized service on any experience I had had before or after.  My cruise was not perfect but that is what happens with a ship, just after covid shutdown ended, with a ship that was 25% filled.  Not a good representation of the brand however I saw what folks loved.  

The brand was Regent Seven Seas.  I REALLY wanted to cruise Regent. I found folks both in CruiseCritic.com and their Facebook group to be hyper focused when a question or response to a post was in anyway critical. Like I have done here, before I book a cruise on a new brand, I want to know the "Rules to the Game".  How everything really works.  When I did this for Regent, several folks said I was a "Plant" or "Spy" of some sort.  The treatment took Regent as a Brand off my list when it was my first choice but I needed to feel really comfortable with paying as much as a Small SUV for a 10-day cruise. In my original post I did not use the brand name because I made my decision and I moved on.  Let others make theirs. 

New people wanting to try a new brand need the straight scope. Usually new folks are coming from a Mainstream Cruise Brand, less expensive, larger ships, with some having a high frequent cruiser status with them.  The move even for one cruise to a different brand needs some level of justification that an aspect of that switch will satisfy a messing enhancement they want in their next cruise experience. The people on the Social Media Blog make a difference.  Should they, probably not but they do.  Hope that clarifies the questions.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 1

I've done three Regent sailings before 2018. At the time, the Regent CC posts were helpful and not at all snarky.   I found the passengers to be interesting and engaged.  I was still working then and liked their multiple offerings of 7-day cruises.  At the time, Regent offered some excellent last-minute discounts that suited our work schedules.  Now that we have the time to take longer cruises, the Regent pricing is a bit over what we wish to spend.  

• Thanks 1