A Complement to the Oceania Cruises CruiseCritic.com Blog from a New Oceania Guest

Sthrngary

2 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

My spouse and I took our first cruise ever on Riviera in December 2021. Like you, I am the planner, so my spouse got on the plane knowing we were going to be on a ship and the general region we'd be visiting...that's pretty much it. I on the other hand had read every O post in recent years (many before the pandemic and I was glued to the first sailings during the weeks before ours) and watched the "tour" videos over and over...I could have walked around the ship blindfolded. My spouse on the other hand had no idea what to expect and it was so fun watching him discover all the ins and outs of our cruise. It was just ten days and we left wanting more...I'd call that a success! I hope your spouse and friends are as pleased as my spouse was and that you get to watch them enjoy their own "discoveries".

@AMHuntFerry Thank you for telling your story.  I have cruised so much, going with someone with fresh eyes is half the fun.  In my family and now with friends, it seems like they could care less they are going on a cruise until it is about two weeks away.  Drives me nuts. 

How do you tell three adults in their 60's and 70's that strategy and preparation makes a difference to your overall cruising experience.  It is like talking to a wall.  Yet at the two week mark, the question happen.

1. What time is our flight leaving?  Why is it so early, can we change it?
  2. Why did you choose the Polo Grille for that night?  Let's do it another night!
  3. We are doing a cooking class on a sea day, why can't we get our friends in the same class?
  4. Why did you choose that hotel for our pre/post cruise?  it seems like we could have made a better choice.

Cruise after cruise I got these types of question way after the time when those decisions had to be made.  To combat these annoying  questions by folks that took little or no effort to discuss the topics the MANY times I brought it up, I came up with a solution.  I call it, the "Journey Document".  In it I outline times, dates and decisions made plus why they were made.  When the crazy questions come up I say, "Page 20, middle of the page".  When they don't understand why I can't move a restaurant date and time, even with an explanation of the policies of the cruise brand.  My response is, "Call your congressman or take care of it yourself when you get on-board.  Good luck". 

It is not quite as bad as I am outlining but for planners and organizers that have to beg for feedback, it happens all the time.  "Respect.  I get no respect.  No respect at all!".

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

My response is, "Call your congressman or take care of it yourself when you get on-board.  Good luck".

My version is "if you want the dishwasher loaded in a particular way, you can do it yourself" (which works in reverse too).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

This Oceania Cruises Board is MUCH more balanced.  You have some that love most aspects of the experience and others that don't.  No one really get to emotional about any one thing however still shares how it made them feel.  When your new to the brand, knowing these items allows you to prepare and manage our expectations.

This is how I feel about this board…helpful more objective insights & less snarky than on other boards.

Our first O cruise is next month & we decided to try their experience with a 7-day cruise near home with only a drive to the port. Good friends who primarily cruise on O have highly recommended it to us. Although reading some of the comments about a reduction in the experience our expectations are better informed. Most cruise lines are struggling post pandemic to consistently provide the same level of cruise experience. We are expecting to have a much better cruise experience than our most frequently sailed cruise line…Princess.

We’ve also booked a longer O cruise at the standard rate in Fall 2024 before simply MORE was implemented which is not cost effective for us as we’re not big alcohol drinkers nor do we take many ship tours. Hopefully we won’t discover that O is our new best cruise experience but due to simply MORE pricing we won’t book more O cruises. I’m not seeking another debate about the pros & cons of simply MORE because it’s not cost effective for our style of cruising although it would be desirable for other passengers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hanoj said:

I think cruising is not what it used to be. We’re on Vista now for our first Oceania sailing and first cruise since 2019. We have enjoyed the cruise, especially the Scotland (3 made, 1 missed ports) and Belfast ports. Liverpool not so much. 

This is a good example of how it is important to carefully consider that others points of view may be strikingly different when having similar experiences. 

We too, enjoyed Belfast very much. However, when in Liverpool we took a private cab Beatles tour and had a terrific time. If you don't care at all for the Beatles, then it would not be a great time. As is often remarked, YMMV

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

To combat these annoying  questions by folks that took little or no effort to discuss the topics the MANY times I brought it up, I came up with a solution.  I call it, the "Journey Document".  In it I outline times, dates and decisions made plus why they were made. 

Although I prepare a similar but shorter document - with pictures - it hasn't helped me! The good thing is that I get only questions, rather than challenges to the decisions (most of the time).

• Haha 1

We’re a month away from our first Oceania, Regatta, cruise. We booked it for: 1) the food, 2) no international flight, 3) small ship. I appreciate the reminder for realistic expectations from @Sthrngary. We’ve had exceptional food on our last 2 cruises on another line and I keep telling myself it will be hard for Oceania to be as good. I’ve been following this forum for many months and still have expectations that are probably too high, or perhaps they are just really hopeful. I’m going with credit card in hand to visit the future cruise desk. I appreciate that most of the time this forum is very civil. I just block those who aren’t because I don’t need snarky! Have a great cruise and I look forward to reading your pluses and minuses.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@AMHuntFerry Thank you for telling your story.  I have cruised so much, going with someone with fresh eyes is half the fun.  In my family and now with friends, it seems like they could care less they are going on a cruise until it is about two weeks away.  Drives me nuts. 

How do you tell three adults in their 60's and 70's that strategy and preparation makes a difference to your overall cruising experience.  It is like talking to a wall.  Yet at the two week mark, the question happen.

2. Why did you choose the Polo Grille for that night?  Let's do it another night!
  3. We are doing a cooking class on a sea day, why can't we get our friends in the same class?
  4. Why did you choose that hotel for our pre/post cruise?  it seems like we could have made a better choice.

Cruise after cruise I got these types of question way after the time when those decisions had to be made.  To combat these annoying  questions by folks that took little or no effort to discuss the topics the MANY times I brought it up, I came up with a solution.  I call it, the "Journey Document".  In it I outline times, dates and decisions made plus why they were made.  When the crazy questions come up I say, "Page 20, middle of the page".  When they don't understand why I can't move a restaurant date and time, even with an explanation of the policies of the cruise brand.  My response is, "Call your congressman or take care of it yourself when you get on-board.  Good luck". 

It is not quite as bad as I am outlining but for planners and organizers that have to beg for feedback, it happens all the time.  "Respect.  I get no respect.  No respect at all!".

As the planner in the family, I was laughing out loud reading this.  I don't get these questions from my wife, she is happy to work with me in planning.  But when our kids were younger, they would drive me nuts with holiday travel.  We would set up flights around Thanksgiving or spring break, and then a week or so before hand they would ask if we can change the flights.  "That is a holiday weekend, are you crazy?"

Tom & Judy

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TFree said:

As the planner in the family, I was laughing out loud reading this.  I don't get these questions from my wife, she is happy to work with me in planning.  But when our kids were younger, they would drive me nuts with holiday travel.  We would set up flights around Thanksgiving or spring break, and then a week or so before hand they would ask if we can change the flights.  "That is a holiday weekend, are you crazy?"

Tom & Judy

@TFree You totally get it.  I took my wife, adult daughter and son on a family cruise vacation.  It got cancelled due to covid 4 times.  I would start the planning over each time, each time I would tell the family my decisions and why.  My daughter was VERY unhappy with the Specialty Restaurant choices, days and times.  I said, feel free to change the reservation with the restaurant.  Don't give up the reservation until you have another one.  I will be in the bar.  She never showed up and never brought the subject up again.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Thanks very much for this. We're also booked on our first O sailing, and after reading several comments about Seabourn I was thinking about trying them next. Same for Regency. At least now I know I have to consider carefully.

We sailed Seabourn earlier this year for the first time. Previously we sailed Viking multiple times, which we always enjoyed very much. Prices skyrocketed, and itineraries got stale in the areas we were interested in sailing, so we looked - at Azamara, Oceania, and Seabourn.
We felt that the Seabourn product - food, stateroom, amenities, all inclusiveness, small ship, the whole package, all added up to a product  that was superior to Viking.  We would gladly sail them again.  Will we sail Viking again, IDK, for a number of reasons, but mostly we are targeting Oceania and SB, with our eye on Explora. Our first O cruise is scheduled for next year….

• Like 2

Also the planner and you made me laugh as well. Similar experiences, or there is the “what do you want to do? I don’t know, that do you want to do?  I\we will do whatever you guys want to do…what sounds good….etc” dialogue. Now that drives me crazy. Everyone has an opinion.  
We’ve travelled with family, and friends in the past. We have found that for us, we mostly just travel as a couple. It just works. 
From the sound of things Sthrngary, you have more patience than I do!!

I will look forward to your write up post cruise. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, techteach said:

We’re a month away from our first Oceania, Regatta, cruise. We booked it for: 1) the food, 2) no international flight, 3) small ship. I appreciate the reminder for realistic expectations from @Sthrngary. We’ve had exceptional food on our last 2 cruises on another line and I keep telling myself it will be hard for Oceania to be as good. I’ve been following this forum for many months and still have expectations that are probably too high, or perhaps they are just really hopeful. I’m going with credit card in hand to visit the future cruise desk. I appreciate that most of the time this forum is very civil. I just block those who aren’t because I don’t need snarky! Have a great cruise and I look forward to reading your pluses and minuses.

Curious as to what line you are referring to. If you do not mind sharing. 

We had good friends we did short trips with  & did not really work  but  we tried again 

Went with these long time  friends  to an AI   for 2 wks  & vowed never again

we then did  a river cruise  with the same couple   &  after that  it is NEVER AGAIN

We just go on our own now  & after  being together   decades  (a long time)  we know what works for us & what does not

I organize  what we like  & if others come along I tell them to do  what they like & we can meet up for drinks or dinner 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I do not see signatures  

After  a search

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regency_Cruises

but long gone  now or morphed  into another name

Go to your account.  Find account settings.  Open Settings Area.  Open Signatures. Turn on button "view others signatures"

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

59 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Go to your account.  Find account settings.  Open Settings Area.  Open Signatures. Turn on button "view others signatures"

I know how to see them  but I choose not to do so

YMMV

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Croooser said:

This is a good example of how it is important to carefully consider that others points of view may be strikingly different when having similar experiences. 

We too, enjoyed Belfast very much. However, when in Liverpool we took a private cab Beatles tour and had a terrific time. If you don't care at all for the Beatles, then it would not be a great time. As is often remarked, YMMV

As you said, YMMV.   We did not take a Beatles tour, but did visit the Beatles museum for about 1 hour.  We did many other things during our long port day in Liverpool and absolutely loved it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hanoj said:

Liverpool not so much.

Any particular reason, Hanoj?

Reason for asking is that with the city being only 35 miles away from home, we visit fairly often. Have a trip planned for next month to visit an exhibition at Tate Liverpool. FWIW, I've never done any "Beatles tourism". 

(EDIT: Just read your post on another thread that at least some of your disenchantment with our region's second city was related to the port security arrangements).

Edited by Harters

14 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

OMG, you are so right !!!!  We're 4 days from flight - DH started asking questions re car service, time, are you sure?  He didn't remember discussing this almost 6mo ago.   

Arrgh - just grin and bear it! 🤣

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Harters said:

Cruise related hype is nothing compared to the restaurant hype on Tripadvisor. By way of explanation, look up a restaurant in your own locality which you know to be only mediocre. My bet is the overwhelming number of reviews will have rated it excellent or very good. Makes them meaningless (and I say that as someone who posts Tripadvisor reviews on an almost weekly basis). 

Stop reading those and read the restaurant reviews on Open Table. I know restauranteurs who hate the stuff on Trip Adviser and Yelp because anyone can write them. They may not ever have eaten at that restaurant. They just don't like them. do like them, are related to them. On Open Table, you can't post a review unless you have actually had a fulfilled reservation. This means everyone who writes a review had actually eaten there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only problem I have with Open Table is the very limited number of restaurants listed. For example, for my nearby town, it lists just 4 places (none of which I've ever heard of, let alone eaten there). Whereas, Tripadvisor lists 467 ( of which, of course, there are many I'll have never heard of).

Most reviews posted on various sites are fairly worthless, as the contributor rarely mentions the actual food eaten and, generally, restricts their comment to how "awesome" or "awful" the place was. I like to write about my experience. FWIW, here's my latest Tripadvisor review about  our favourite Asian restaurant (I have the same user name there, as here). 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g528793-d12817635-r912405267-Bombay_to_Mumbai-Stockport_Greater_Manchester_England.html

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Stop reading those and read the restaurant reviews on Open Table. I know restauranteurs who hate the stuff on Trip Adviser and Yelp because anyone can write them. They may not ever have eaten at that restaurant. They just don't like them. do like them, are related to them. On Open Table, you can't post a review unless you have actually had a fulfilled reservation. This means everyone who writes a review had actually eaten there. 

@DrKoob I can see why your feel that way however I am a long-time Elite Member of Yelp.  What you say can be true for a restaurant that has a few reviews.  Those that have hundreds to thought reviews allow for the untrue reviews to be part of an average.  The Elite Member are rated that way because their review tend to be more balanced and accurate. Food and Dining is always relative to what you have or have not experience in the past and your personal taste.  

All that said, I love your idea of reading reviews on Open Table.  That is smart. 

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We had good friends we did short trips with  & did not really work  but  we tried again 

Went with these long time  friends  to an AI   for 2 wks  & vowed never again

we then did  a river cruise  with the same couple   &  after that  it is NEVER AGAIN

We just go on our own now  & after  being together   decades  (a long time)  we know what works for us & what does not

I organize  what we like  & if others come along I tell them to do  what they like & we can meet up for drinks or dinner 

I've found there are some friends you can travel with and some you can't. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, ORV said:

I've found there are some friends you can travel with and some you can't. 

Wonder if our friends we travel with may have a similar feeling about us! 🤔. Perhaps we should start a new slogan, Friends don’t let Friends Travel Together.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Two couple who are our longest friends of over 40 years…..we learned we do not cruise together well…..but we remain steadfast and enjoy one another immensely when we have the opportunity to see one another! Weekend get always work…..long trips, do not. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Harters said:

Any particular reason, Hanoj?

Reason for asking is that with the city being only 35 miles away from home, we visit fairly often. Have a trip planned for next month to visit an exhibition at Tate Liverpool. FWIW, I've never done any "Beatles tourism". 

(EDIT: Just read your post on another thread that at least some of your disenchantment with our region's second city was related to the port security arrangements).

Mostly due to security arrangements. But also due to what I felt were inaccurate representations on the visitliverpool.com website. We made the lengthy trek to Red Brick Market, believing it was a venue featuring products from local artists/artisans. Although there were a few such vendors, this was primarily an indoor flea market in a converted warehouse bordering an industrial area.

I also had previously returned to our stateroom to retrieve my phone (had all my Google maps and websites bookmarked) and had to go through the security gauntlet almost immediately after getting out the terminal after leaving the ship as first guests off. Took 15 extra minutes, mostly due to the security requirements. So, I wasn’t interested in a third security experience so we didn’t go back out. We prefer the small ports like Kirkwall where all we had to do was show our Oceania World Card.

Edited by Hanoj