A Complement to the Oceania Cruises CruiseCritic.com Blog from a New Oceania Guest

Sthrngary

13 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

But also due to what I felt were inaccurate representations on the visitliverpool.com website. We made the lengthy trek to Red Brick Market,

Thanks for the info. Disappointing for you. 

Looks like Visit Liverpool has taken heed and amended their wording from whatever was there when you were planning your visit. Certainly their listing for Red Brick makes no suggestion that it's an art/craft venue, describing it as a "vintage warehouse". 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@AMHuntFerry Thank you for telling your story.  I have cruised so much, going with someone with fresh eyes is half the fun.  In my family and now with friends, it seems like they could care less they are going on a cruise until it is about two weeks away.  Drives me nuts. 

How do you tell three adults in their 60's and 70's that strategy and preparation makes a difference to your overall cruising experience.  It is like talking to a wall.  Yet at the two week mark, the question happen.

1. What time is our flight leaving?  Why is it so early, can we change it?
  2. Why did you choose the Polo Grille for that night?  Let's do it another night!
  3. We are doing a cooking class on a sea day, why can't we get our friends in the same class?
  4. Why did you choose that hotel for our pre/post cruise?  it seems like we could have made a better choice.

Cruise after cruise I got these types of question way after the time when those decisions had to be made.  To combat these annoying  questions by folks that took little or no effort to discuss the topics the MANY times I brought it up, I came up with a solution.  I call it, the "Journey Document".  In it I outline times, dates and decisions made plus why they were made.  When the crazy questions come up I say, "Page 20, middle of the page".  When they don't understand why I can't move a restaurant date and time, even with an explanation of the policies of the cruise brand.  My response is, "Call your congressman or take care of it yourself when you get on-board.  Good luck". 

It is not quite as bad as I am outlining but for planners and organizers that have to beg for feedback, it happens all the time.  "Respect.  I get no respect.  No respect at all!".

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

I had planned a trip to an AI in the DR with two other couples who have been friends for over 55 years.  My husband had a medical emergency three days before the trip, and we nearly lost him.  Knowing my friends are not savvy travelers, I gave them oral and written instructions along with a detailed daily itinerary with nightly dinner reservations, show dates and times, spa services, and how to reach the charter day sail.  The first night's dinner was a disaster as they showed up at the elegant restaurant in Bermuda shorts.  Maitre de made them change (I had listed (long pants for men) on the itinerary...which they didn't read.  The resort was very large and consisted of various sections.  They never visited the spa because they couldn't find it.  They never saw a show because...it was next to the spa.  They canceled the Day Sail because it was too confusing to leave the resort.  They discovered both the spa and the theatre as they departed the resort.  They now get cancel for any reason insurance when traveling with us just in case we can't make it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another soon to be first time Oceania cruiser here. My first cruise is on Vista, in the Caribbean, this December. I am one of the growing number of Celebrity (former) loyalists who are jumping to other cruise lines.  The issues and policy changes coming from the new management at Celebrity are reinforcing my decision.

I chose Oceania because friends, who were also Celebrity loyalists, started cruising on O well before Covid hit. They convinced me to try it and I had two cruises cancelled because of the pandemic. Hoping that the third scheduled one goes as planned.

As a solo cruiser, I am hoping that the “cruise only” option reappears. While Vista has solo cabins, the reviews, especially about the bathrooms, have not been encouraging.  If I end up not liking the solo cabin, but liking the Oceania product, pricing will certainly be an issue as I am paying for two Simply  More perks in a regular cabin.

I have found this board to be far more balanced than some other boards on Cruise Critic. The Celebrity board is one of the worst. There are a few cheerleaders on that board that will defend Celebrity, no matter what the issue. Someone can post a review of their cruise listing all the wonderful experiences they had, and comment on two or three minor things that went wrong. The cheerleaders will excoriate that person for bashing Celebrity. Even with all the changes  going on now, there are people for which Celebrity can do no wrong and if you had an issue, it has to be because of you, not anything Celebrity did.

Edited by Straughn
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Straughn said:

Another soon to be first time Oceania cruiser here. My first cruise is on Vista, in the Caribbean, this December. I am one of the growing number of Celebrity (former) loyalists who are jumping to other cruise lines.  The issues and policy changes coming from the new management at Celebrity are reinforcing my decision.

I chose Oceania because friends, who were also Celebrity loyalists, started cruising on O well before Covid hit. They convinced me to try it and I had two cruises cancelled because of the pandemic. Hoping that the third scheduled one goes as planned.

As a solo cruiser, I am hoping that the “cruise only” option reappears. While Vista has solo cabins, the reviews, especially about the bathrooms, have not been encouraging.  If I end up not liking the solo cabin, but liking the Oceania product, pricing will certainly be an issue as I am paying for two Simply  More perks in a regular cabin.

I have found this board to be far more balanced than some other boards on Cruise Critic. The Celebrity board is one of the worst. There are a few cheerleaders on that board that will defend Celebrity, no matter what the issue. Someone can post a review of their cruise listing all the wonderful experiences they had, and comment on two or three minor things that went wrong. The cheerleaders will excoriate that person for bashing Celebrity. Even with all the changes  going on now, there are people for which Celebrity can do no wrong and if you had an issue, it has to be because of you, not anything Celebrity did.

@Straughn I will bet you will still consider Celebrity in the future.  I am in the same boat on the NCL Haven.  I will always consider the Haven however the reality is our tastes in cruising change as time goes on.  That was a nice way of saying I am getting older.  I used to be the first on a Mainstream Cruise Brand to enter the Belly Flop contest because I resemble that remark.  As I entered my 60's, I was the first in my group up the stairs to the water slides.  I did them 5 to 10 times.  Now at 66, all I dream about is "Afternoon Tea" and getting enough of the sandwiches that have the crust cut off of them. 

I have cruise Celebrity in a standard stateroom and the Retreat.  It was not to my liking hence the emphasis on the NCL Haven.  My First Oceania Cruise is in 74 days.  I anticipate a much quieter, more reserved, less rushed atmosphere.  I will trade the Go-Cart Track for the Cooking school and never look back. My initial impressions of Oceania from the research I have done is it is the NCL Haven and Celebrity Retreat on steroids.  Once you leave your stateroom you get treated the same as everyone else onboard.  No snarky comments from other guests that you are in the Haven or Retreat.  I say, let everyone on a cruise be a "Rock Star" and treat everyone nicely.  Not claiming that is Oceania just saying personalized service is important for a great vacation. 

As time goes on, our minds are willing and our bodies won't comply.  Not better just different.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Straughn said:

We had a similar experience with the CC Celebrity site.  I don't mind cheerleaders, but snarky, rude comments are totally unacceptable.  I wish the moderators would enforce the rules.  We are going on our first O cruise in January.  Our friends have been enthusiastically recommending O for years.  Our b2b Celebrity cruises in January caused us to rethink our loyalty.  I truly never considered the importance of food quality and selection until it was terribly off.  

1 hour ago, Straughn said:

While Vista has solo cabins, the reviews, especially about the bathrooms, have not been encouraging. 

I have not followed  the reviews on the solo cabins  can you clarify about the  bathroom that is not encouraging?

I have a friend that wanted to me to check out the solo cabins  when  we board

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We had good friends we did short trips with  & did not really work  but  we tried again 

Went with these long time  friends  to an AI   for 2 wks  & vowed never again

we then did  a river cruise  with the same couple   &  after that  it is NEVER AGAIN

We just go on our own now  & after  being together   decades  (a long time)  we know what works for us & what does not

I organize  what we like  & if others come along I tell them to do  what they like & we can meet up for drinks or dinner 

This made me laugh. This is EXACTLY my travel history and after our last independent road trip in France for a month with friends who had already caused me stress on a previous trip, it was NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! .This time we were definitely going to travel in our own and we booked this upcoming cruise.. But another couple from our friend group found out  and booked the same cruise because they 'wanted to travel with us.' .. As they have never travelled to Europe nor ever cruised I think there is likely to be a lot of hand holding(already experiencing this..) but I'm trying to encourage them to at least book their own excursions (I'm more an independent explorer) so we can get some space from each other.. fingers crossed!!! 

2 minutes ago, daydreamer62 said:

.. As they have never travelled to Europe nor ever cruised I think there is likely to be a lot of hand holding(already experiencing this..) but I'm trying to encourage them to at least book their own excursions (I'm more an independent explorer) so we can get some space from each other.. fingers crossed!!! 

Yes  let them book their own excursions unless you have a private tour they may enjoy

We just tell people now  we will see them at dinner or prior  for drinks I give them the time & place  if they can make it we will be there

Wish you luck 🙂

• Like 2

We met a couple on AZ in 2008, but did not really do things together on that cruise.  Then, on a subsequent cruise a few years later, on X, I spotted them on day 1, checking out the specialty restaurants, which I knew they enjoyed on AZ.  It was them !

We reconnected, and spent lots of time together on that cruise.  For some reason, both couples enjoyed each others company, and conversation, and developed a fine friendship.

Since then, we have cruised/travelled together about 5 more times, both on X and HAL.  Husband is a HAL loyalist -- 5 Star Mariner.

Each time, I set the ground rules -- it's your vacation, and our vacation -- please do what you want -- when you want -- with whom you want.  Neither couple has to agree on what to do together.  If we do -- fine --if not -- also fine.

But guess what?  We spend nearly all days and meals together !  We've maintained an important and meaningful friendship since 2008, communicating very often.

We have a V cruise booked later this year, on our recommendation, and his TA's associate.  Our 3rd -- their 1st.  Husband has promised me he will not hold me responsible -- if not to their liking -- and I'll hold him to his word !  Really looking forward to travelling together -- last cruise together was Dec. 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Straughn said:

Another soon to be first time Oceania cruiser here. My first cruise is on Vista, in the Caribbean, this December. ... As a solo cruiser, I am hoping that the “cruise only” option reappears. While Vista has solo cabins, the reviews, especially about the bathrooms, have not been encouraging.  If I end up not liking the solo cabin, but liking the Oceania product, pricing will certainly be an issue as I am paying for two Simply  More perks in a regular cabin. ....

Having cruised 10 nights each on Riviera (12/2021) and Sirena (11/2022), we've had no desire to pay the higher prices for Vista. And certainly won't for Allure, either. We've got 20 more nights on Riviera later this year and another 20 more on Sirena in 2024. (Only the very last cruise booking was made under the SM but thru the Summer Sale. All the others from various sales.)

So CHECK FOR SALES. BUT also there are SOLO cabins on the less expensive R-class ships. Here is the description for Sirena's:

"Solo Oceanview Stateroom

Stateroom Size (SQ FT / SQ M):143-165 / 13-15

Deck(s):6

These charming 143-square-foot staterooms are the perfect retreat for the solo traveler. Amply spacious and centrally located on Deck 6, each is equipped with a sublimely plush Tranquility Bed, refrigerated mini-bar, writing desk and abundant storage space."

Though the showers here do leave something to be desired compared to the large O-class ships.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

These charming 143-square-foot staterooms are the perfect retreat for the solo traveler. Amply spacious and centrally located on Deck 6, each is equipped with a sublimely plush Tranquility Bed, refrigerated mini-bar, writing desk and abundant storage space."

A downside to the solo Oceanview staterooms on the R class ships is that other than a small stool near the desk there is no where else to sit in the room unless you want to sit on the bed.  Until you don't have a couch in a room, you don't really appreciate how nice it is to have a place to sit.  Also note that your view in these rooms is greatly obstructed - in some you look directly at the side of a lifeboat. Caveat emptor.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I have not followed  the reviews on the solo cabins  can you clarify about the  bathroom that is not encouraging?

I have a friend that wanted to me to check out the solo cabins  when  we board

What is being reported is that the bathrooms are small and the shower is extremely small with no place to put toiletries except the floor. There is no room to turn around or bend  down. Apparently there is a handle on one wall which limits the shower space even more.   One woman stated that she had to turn the shower off to wash her hair and then turn it back on to rinse. The shower was so small that she couldn’t get away from under the water. There were several reports of folks giving up on the bathroom shower and using the Spa showers instead.

For the cabin itself, there are some complaints about the overall size. The bed is twin size and tucked into an alcove that does not allow you to see the balcony or watch TV from the bed.  One person described the bed as reminding him of a coffin.

I got most of this info from that social media site that we can’t name.  There are cabin pictures and one or two of the bathroom, but no good picture of the shower. I hope to get a look at one on my December cruise.

21 minutes ago, Straughn said:

What is being reported is that the bathrooms are small and the shower is extremely small with no place to put toiletries except the floor. There is no room to turn around or bend  down. Apparently there is a handle on one wall which limits the shower space even more.   One woman stated that she had to turn the shower off to wash her hair and then turn it back on to rinse. The shower was so small that she couldn’t get away from under the water. There were several reports of folks giving up on the bathroom shower and using the Spa showers instead.

For the cabin itself, there are some complaints about the overall size. The bed is twin size and tucked into an alcove that does not allow you to see the balcony or watch TV from the bed.  One person described the bed as reminding him of a coffin.

I got most of this info from that social media site that we can’t name.  There are cabin pictures and one or two of the bathroom, but no good picture of the shower. I hope to get a look at one on my December cruise.

It sounds like someone has the Vista confused with an R ship. From what I've read on that other site you mention, I have never, ever, never seen so much misinformation in my life. I am totally amazed how people can get so much stuff wrong. It's like they're intentionally doing it. Some Don Z guy is always trying to straighten them out, but people won't listen. 

• Like 1

@Sthrngary

First of all, have often read your posts and really appreciate your postitive but balanced response and posts.

Like you we have mostly been on NCL cruises.  Haven for large ships, suites for the others.  We did our first Oceania cruise in March on the Riviera.  We did enjoy it and will do it again, in fact we are booked on the Vista for a March 2024 cruise.

You will have a great time.  I would say it is much more sedate experience.  I felt the treatment from the crew was about the same as what we experienced with NCL.  We mostly had great service, with a miss here and there.  I was disappointed in the food, but that is mostly because Oceania claims to be the finest at sea, which had raised my expectations.  The quality of the food is good (not great), but for me, the taste is on the bland side, as I tend to like lots of spice and flavors.  As a result I actually prefer NCL when it comes to food.  I am willing to sacrafice a bit of quality for my preferred taste.  I get that they have to satisfy the tastes of the majority of their clientele.  

We still like NCL and they will continue to be our regular cruise line, but will cruise on Oceania for the better itineraris when the price is right.  Things have changed post Covid for all cruise lines, but it has not reduced our cruising enjoyment.  

I have experienced recent itinerary changes on both NCL and Oceania, more so on Oceania, but I always try and look on the bright side of things and enjoy whatever port stop that is substituted or the enexpected sea day.

Yes, you will have a great time on Oceania and I hope your friends find the same passion as you have when it comes to cruising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Straughn said:

Thanks  There are some photos on the cabin & it looks OK  the bathroom  is hard to tell the size but does look cozy

https://www-cruisediary-de.translate.goog/vista-showkabinen/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Just for comparison the stand alone showers on the O class are small ..do not drop the soap 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Having cruised 10 nights each on Riviera (12/2021) and Sirena (11/2022), we've had no desire to pay the higher prices for Vista. And certainly won't for Allure, either. We've got 20 more nights on Riviera later this year and another 20 more on Sirena in 2024. (Only the very last cruise booking was made under the SM but thru the Summer Sale. All the others from various sales.)

So CHECK FOR SALES. BUT also there are SOLO cabins on the less expensive R-class ships. Here is the description for Sirena's:

Though the showers here do leave something to be desired compared to the large O-class ships.

These solos are obstructed view.  2 are only partially.  Had 1 of those on Regatta in 2016 -- 2 of us, small but adequate.

Edited by FetaCheese
Clarity

7 hours ago, techteach said:

We have been on Cunard, QM2 in Queens Grill. The food has been really good.

IMG_1765.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

Thank you for responding. I have heard great things about Cunard. It’s supposed to be pretty impressive. I will be interested in your feedback after this. We are smaller ship travelers, so we have not looked to sail with them, but I hope your upcoming Oceania experience is a good memory that you will report back to us on. We are new to O as well. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 2

I have said before that I think a lot depends on your expectations and I got some pretty disagreeable comments. All brands make their product to look better than it is, and I think Oceania doesn't do themselves a favor by claiming the best food at sea.  I haven't been on every cruise line, so I can't judge, but I have had some excellent meals on board, and some that I didn't care for at all.  I know it is definitely better than the mass market cruises that I have been on.

Some of what they are able to do is limited by the audience.  Such as spice/heat.  We ate in the MDR for lunch one day and were telling the server we love hot spicy food as we were conversing.  My curry dish almost made my eyes water with the heat level, it was so unexpected, but was perfect once I adjusted my expectation from bland.  I had gotten it before, and it was just okay.  

I am not new to O, but in the mid-40's age bracket, so not their typical audience.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about the new program yet.  I went to O for the options to pick and choose what I wanted included.

14 hours ago, Nashna said:

I wish the moderators would enforce the rules. 

Me too.

Tripadvisor owns Cruise Critic yet the moderating could not be more different. On TA, posts are removed from view simply by sufficient contributors reporting them (some get reinstated once a moderator has looked at them). Suspensions and permanent bans are not at all uncommon for repeat offenders, who are offensive and/or bullies. I play on a particular TA forum and see post deletions several times a week. When I started to use CC some years back, I had assumed that there would be a similar culture here. Unfortunately not. 

57 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Regarding Cunard, I have done PG on QM2, it wasn’t a patch on O. 

And I did back-to-back TA's on Marina eastbound and QMII westbound and QMII was nowhere near Oceania food quality in Britannia class.   

It was however much better than any airline food would have been if we had flown home.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nashna said:

We had a similar experience with the CC Celebrity site.  I don't mind cheerleaders, but snarky, rude comments are totally unacceptable.  I wish the moderators would enforce the rules. 

The Mods do not read all the posts

If you have a problem then report the poster 

See the  3 dots in top corner of the message  then REPORT   then click on the  reason for the report

You can also ignore  some posters  using the ignore feature  then you will not see any future posts  from them

I think you need a thick skin to be on some of these  sites

JMO