A Complement to the Oceania Cruises CruiseCritic.com Blog from a New Oceania Guest

Sthrngary

The biggest mistake I (and others) ever made on a cruise vacation was to have "Unrealistic Expectations" about our upcoming cruise.  The cruise I am referring to was not a great cruise because of it and it had less to do with the experience than my anticipation of the experience.  That was a lesson well learned.  

Part of the issue was I went to the brands specific blog and the reviews, experience, and over the top comments were overwhelming.  Anytime someone would say something less then flattering, the members of the blog did an attack stating overwhelmingly the commentors thoughts were flawed. This was a new level of brand loyalty and it seem completely legitimate.  It was to them but not so much to the new guest first experience.  

This Oceania Cruises Board is MUCH more balanced.  You have some that love most aspects of the experience and others that don't.  No one really get to emotional about any one thing however still shares how it made them feel.  When your new to the brand, knowing these items allows you to prepare and manage our expectations. An example is who the Oceania Marketing team over hyped Dinning Experience on Oceania.  How do I know it is over hyped without even taking my cruise yet?  Simple, read all the reviews and topics of the faithful and new guests. So now, when I have an outstanding meal and service, it will exceed my expectation.  When I have a average experience, it will not disappoint as much.  Take dining to any topic associated with a cruise.

So thank you Oceania Cruises Blog.  More than helpful.  Even some of the condescending remarks tossed at me (and others) on some of posts.  I deserved it.  I am the one asking for help and you have the experience which you freely provide. The guest that are joining me on this upcoming cruise have never cruised before.  My greatest joy will be to assist them with simply things I learned here and make their first experience better.  That makes my experience enhanced. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

@Sthrngary

🙏🛳️👍. Nicely said. I have enjoyed reading your posts and approach to cruise planning and execution. IMHO, you will absolutely love your Riviera experience, we sure have. Based on the time of year you are sailing in Europe, I am sure we have sailed her to all your ports, Wonderful! Our good friends Graham and Shuna Denison may be your Artists in Residence.  If anyone in your group wants to partake in some artistic fun, sign up that first night for classes. Great people and he is TALENTED so we acquired a couple very meaningful paintings over the years.  You are on a 10 day cruise, far too short but after this trip you will have learned, longer O cruises are better. I do understand your reasoning for the short cruise with your friends however. You will also find it difficult to do or take in everything Riviera offers but will have fun trying. A MUST, a visit with your Oceania Club Ambassador to book a future cruise or two 😇. Have a fantastic cruise.

Bonnie and Gerry, aka Mauibabes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

How do I know it is over hyped without even taking my cruise yet? 

Cruise related hype is nothing compared to the restaurant hype on Tripadvisor. By way of explanation, look up a restaurant in your own locality which you know to be only mediocre. My bet is the overwhelming number of reviews will have rated it excellent or very good. Makes them meaningless (and I say that as someone who posts Tripadvisor reviews on an almost weekly basis). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

@Sthrngary

🙏🛳️👍. Nicely said. I have enjoyed reading your posts and approach to cruise planning and execution. IMHO, you will absolutely love your Riviera experience, we sure have. Based on the time of year you are sailing in Europe, I am sure we have sailed her to all your ports, Wonderful! Our good friends Graham and Shuna Denison may be your Artists in Residence.  If anyone in your group wants to partake in some artistic fun, sign up that first night for classes. Great people and he is TALENTED so we acquired a couple very meaningful paintings over the years.  You are on a 10 day cruise, far too short but after this trip you will have learned, longer O cruises are better. I do understand your reasoning for the short cruise with your friends however. You will also find it difficult to do or take in everything Riviera offers but will have fun trying. A MUST, a visit with your Oceania Club Ambassador to book a future cruise or two 😇. Have a fantastic cruise.

Bonnie and Gerry, aka Mauibabes.

@mauibabes Bonnie and Gerry, what a nice and helpful response.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

This Oceania Cruises Board is MUCH more balanced.  You have some that love most aspects of the experience and others that don't. 

So now, when I have an outstanding meal and service, it will exceed my expectation.  When I have a average experience, it will not disappoint as much.  Take dining to any topic associated with a cruise.

Great comments, and an exact expression of my feelings, as my first O cruise will also be in November. I've done the same thing you have and expected too much at times. For example, before reading these boards I expected food that would be perfect for me. Now when I get a good meal, similar to what you said, I'll be really happy.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

I have found this is a very biased site for only good O experiences.  

I guess it would probably skew a bit to the positive side since it is the Oceania site, and…..it is actually an excellent cruise line.  However, I suggest you dig a bit deeper as there are also many that are less than all sunshine and rainbows.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

I have found this is a very biased site for only good O experiences.  

@Pandazoo Please remember how I phased and outlined my comments.  This site has been much more balanced to the other site I outlined in my post.  That is based on my personal experience.  As an example I define Luxury on a cruise line bases on improved experiences I receive comparted to my previous experience. Is this site biased, you bet.  Just more balanced.  

I agree that the Oceania board here on CC is more civilized than the others!  As for "managing one's expectations", I totally agree... high (or unrealistic) expectations often lead to disappointment.  We are taking our 33rd cruise in a few weeks... first time on Oceania.  It is only one week, aboard the Regatta.  It is 100% a "tryout cruise"... of the ship, accommodations, food, drinks, and service. The itinerary was irrelevant. We will inevitably compare and contrast, but with a fair and open mindset.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

I guess it would probably skew a bit to the positive side since it is the Oceania site,

Since we're amongst friends here (at least, friends of O), we should be able to exchange negative comments as & when needed. And, in truth, I think that's what happens now. I've only done two cruises with O. First one back in 2017 when you'd never read a negative comment. Now, folk are more prepared to say when  something was less than stellar. And so we should.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Harters said:

Since we're amongst friends here (at least, friends of O), we should be able to exchange negative comments as & when needed. And, in truth, I think that's what happens now. I've only done two cruises with O. First one back in 2017 when you'd never read a negative comment. Now, folk are more prepared to say when  something was less than stellar. And so we should.  

Yes, agree. I noted in my last sentence there are plenty on here that are negative. 

• Like 2

Been sailing on O since 2004   & yes  nothing is perfect

I have posted negative comments  in the past  I do not drink the koolaid  some  seem to drink

Oceania is  maybe better than some line but  they are not all sunshine & roses

can you get  good quality food  YES  can you get  bad food  YES

Go with an open mind  & do not expect  perfection

JMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The O board has certainly matured somewhat in terms of being realistic about the product. I’d consider myself a semi cheerleader - I’ve had mostly exceptional experiences, along with a couple of awful experiences. 

I am realistic about the product, it suits my needs.  

There are some prickly pears on this board, but for the most part people are pretty reasonable. It’s certainly less of a bear pit than it was pre covid. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I guess I’m just tired of “lower your expectations.” I have been on many cruises, several O.  Of course it’s an O forum (reasonable built in biased) but lately the defending of missed ports is a bit much and bad reviews from past O travelers is a bit concerning especially for the Vista.  Someone mentioned there are paid promoters and clearly pro travel agents on this forum but I feel I shouldn’t need to lower my expectations.  I know no trip is perfect but I also know you get what you pay for and it is very disappointing to pay and not get what you paid for.  Clearly O is not what it used to be.

• Like 3

Hi Sthrngary,

I anticipate the voice of reason when I read one of your posts.  Since we are both trying O. for the first time after disappointing sailings on our former favorite lines, we truly appreciate the advice we have received from O. passengers.  I do not expect perfection.  When I expected perfection, it never materialized.  For years, I wanted to sail on Seabourn.  When I finally got the opportunity, I was greatly disappointed.  It was a pleasant sailing, but it did not live up to my expectations.  We met frequent Seabourn guests on that sailing who were unhappy with the sailing, so it wasn't just me.  Interestingly, I had high expectations for our Regency cruise, and they were all met.  Unfortunately, their pricing in the last few years has put them out of our consideration.   I'm confident we will enjoy our O. Vista cruise; I booked us on an O. Reykjavik to Copenhagen cruise next summer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

I guess I’m just tired of “lower your expectations.” I have been on many cruises, several O.  Of course it’s an O forum (reasonable built in biased) but lately the defending of missed ports is a bit much and bad reviews from past O travelers is a bit concerning especially for the Vista.  Someone mentioned there are paid promoters and clearly pro travel agents on this forum but I feel I shouldn’t need to lower my expectations.  I know no trip is perfect but I also know you get what you pay for and it is very disappointing to pay and not get what you paid for.  Clearly O is not what it used to be.

I think cruising is not what it used to be. We’re on Vista now for our first Oceania sailing and first cruise since 2019. We have enjoyed the cruise, especially the Scotland (3 made, 1 missed ports) and Belfast ports. Liverpool not so much. 

Edited by Hanoj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hanoj said:

I think cruising is not what it used to be. We’re on Vista now for our first Oceania sailing and first cruise since 2019. We have enjoyed the cruise, especially the Scotland (3 made, 1 missed ports) and Belfast ports. Liverpool not so much. 

I agree; we are still experiencing the fallout from Covid throughout the hospitality industry.  I'm glad you are enjoying Vista, as we will sail on her in January.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Pandazoo said:

I have been on many cruises, several O

@Pandazoo This is the statement that really says it all for me.  I, like you have been in the NCL Haven for many cruises.  Yet I am booked on Oceania for my first cruise.  The only comparison I have is those cruise I have taken on other brands.  Not what is different about Oceania today.  

Less time at a port, missing frequent ports are area's I have found on every cruise brand I have ever taken.  It really matters when the port lost is the MAIN one you wanted to go to.  So very frustrating.  In reading from cover to cover the Oceania/NCL guest contract/agreement, we as guest give Oceania the right to do all those things.  Do I like that, no.  Is it clearly spelled out, yes.  Will I like it if it happens, no.  However, I knew the rules to the game when I paid a really big credit card charge.  That was my personal and everyone else choice, before we choose to use the brand, ANY brand. 

Now will I go in the Haven again, sure.  Am I a bit disappointed in some past experiences, yes.  Mostly because for me (you might feel the same way) the price went up and the quality went down slightly.  So I made a change for this cruise to compare what I know, to something new. 

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

What was the reason for the missed port?

47 minutes ago, Nashna said:

For years, I wanted to sail on Seabourn.  When I finally got the opportunity, I was greatly disappointed.  It was a pleasant sailing, but it did not live up to my expectations.  

Thanks very much for this. We're also booked on our first O sailing, and after reading several comments about Seabourn I was thinking about trying them next. Same for Regency. At least now I know I have to consider carefully.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I have not heard of this line ?

Come on now, I think we all know it was Regent being referred to! It shows as Regent in the expanded signature.  Play nice now!!! 😉 Autocorrect can be our worst enemy. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The guest that are joining me on this upcoming cruise have never cruised before.  My greatest joy will be to assist them with simply things I learned here and make their first experience better.  That makes my experience enhanced.

My spouse and I took our first cruise ever on Riviera in December 2021. Like you, I am the planner, so my spouse got on the plane knowing we were going to be on a ship and the general region we'd be visiting...that's pretty much it. I on the other hand had read every O post in recent years (many before the pandemic and I was glued to the first sailings during the weeks before ours) and watched the "tour" videos over and over...I could have walked around the ship blindfolded. My spouse on the other hand had no idea what to expect and it was so fun watching him discover all the ins and outs of our cruise. It was just ten days and we left wanting more...I'd call that a success! I hope your spouse and friends are as pleased as my spouse was and that you get to watch them enjoy their own "discoveries".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1