Serenity Quebec to NYC Oct 5-13

2bobs

Received our e-tkts for this cruise last night (Sun) 7:45pm.  Just noticed VERY IMPORTANT under "Post Cruise Information" -- "The ship will be located at 4 Port Terminal Blvd., Bayonne, NJ ..."  I believe that this is part of the RCI complex in Bayonne.  Disembarkation will be from approximately 8:00 to 10:00 am. 

Bob S.

4 hours ago, doglover214 said:

Is it possible that the Serenity will be docking in Bayonne on October 29th also, on its way down to Miami from Quebec?

This is an interesting one.

I don't see how Manhattan  Cruise Terminal would be used on 10/29 as the official site already show three ships docked there on 10/29; NCL Escape, Europe 2 and MSC Explora and they can accommodate three ships. This assumes the site is accurate which normally it is.

Interestingly, Serenity is not listed but is shown on that site for being at MCT on 10/23.

Keith 

9 hours ago, doglover214 said:

Is it possible that the Serenity will be docking in Bayonne on October 29th also, on its way down to Miami from Quebec?

I thought Manhattan could handle 4 ships.  I think if it isn't Manhattan October 29 it is more likely to be Brooklyn,

Roy

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I thought Manhattan could handle 4 ships.  I think if it isn't Manhattan October 29 it is more likely to be Brooklyn,

Roy

It used to be able to (not as long ago as it used to have more than 4 berths), but it looks like one of the berths is out of service at this point, either physically or because of limitations of the size of the ships docking at the time.  It doesn’t look like more than 3 ships use the complex simultaneously all year, even on peak.  😞 

Vince

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

This is an interesting one.

I don't see how Manhattan  Cruise Terminal would be used on 10/29 as the official site already show three ships docked there on 10/29; NCL Escape, Europe 2 and MSC Explora and they can accommodate three ships. This assumes the site is accurate which normally it is.

Interestingly, Serenity is not listed but is shown on that site for being at MCT on 10/23.

Keith 

I think Brooklyn is likely the first alternative to Manhattan and to me would be far nicer for especially a port call.  It was not available October 13 with QM2 there but is not otherwise booked for October 29. 

Roy

We arrived at Bayonne last October and honestly, our experience was pretty horrendous. Long delays for Ubers, so we took a shuttle bus to EWR. We almost could’ve walked there faster! First a crummy walk to the shuttle departure point, then long lines, crowded shuttle, change of driver in parking lot half way, and some minor annoyance when we got to the airport.

If we have to do it again, depending on time of our flight out, I would plan a private transfer. If flight is late, I’ll just wait for Uber. 

16 hours ago, doglover214 said:

I have a feeling it will be Brooklyn.  Oasis OTS is in Bayonne October 29,  In addition to whatever Crystal offers, there is a ferry to South Manhattan within a ship length of the terminal, which could be very useful for things like the 9/11 memorial or perhaps Ellis Island, although it would be critical to watch the time for Ellis Island.

Rou

• Like 1

Well, it took a little longer than I expected but I have gotten my Luggage Forward pickup changed to Bayonne.  I haven't seen reports of anyone embarking October 13 but if there is and there is some extra time before checkin, check out the 9/11 memorial on the water near the bow of the ship called "The Tear"  IIRC it is a gift from Russia in friendlier times.

thetear.jpg

I also wonder, if someone is embarking in Bayonne 10/13 and disembarking in Brooklyn (or Manhattan although I think that's unlikely) is that a violation of the PVSA?

Roy

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Well, it took a little longer than I expected but I have gotten my Luggage Forward pickup changed to Bayonne.  I haven't seen reports of anyone embarking October 13 but if there is and there is some extra time before checkin, check out the 9/11 memorial on the water near the bow of the ship called "The Tear"  IIRC it is a gift from Russia in friendlier times.

thetear.jpg

I also wonder, if someone is embarking in Bayonne 10/13 and disembarking in Brooklyn (or Manhattan although I think that's unlikely) is that a violation of the PVSA?

Roy

That's a good question!  The DHS 'understanding the PVSA' summary-type brochure refers to metropolitan cities in the examples, so it seems like the PVSA isn't as concerned about co-terminals in a metropolitan area (even if the berth is in an adjacent state), but that's just what I surmised from what's in there...  I didn't find where it spelled that out though, but the spirit is pretty clear.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pvsa_icp_3.pdf

Vince

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

That's a good question!  The DHS 'understanding the PVSA' summary-type brochure refers to metropolitan cities in the examples, so it seems like the PVSA isn't as concerned about co-terminals in a metropolitan area (even if the berth is in an adjacent state), but that's just what I surmised from what's in there...  I didn't find where it spelled that out though, but the spirit is pretty clear.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pvsa_icp_3.pdf

Vince

Yes, this won't  be a problem . All three cruise terminals are part of the Port of New York and under the administrative jurisdiction of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. It's a single port and will be treated no differently than when a ship departs Pier 88 in Manhattan and returns to Pier 90.

FYI, here's an updated 2019 version of the PVSA document you cited:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Sep/PVSA-ICP.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

No it is not. Manahattan/Brooklyn/Bayonne are all considered to be the same "port" area. As someone pointed out either here, or on another thread, they are all part of the same Port Authority.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 7:50 PM, doglover214 said:

The Crystal website for this voyage has now been updated and they now show Serenity docking in Brooklyn on October 29 from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM.

Keith