Live from the Pride Greenland and Canada…and a little dance with Idalia

jimbo5544

34 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

They were on my Mardi Gras cruise, I think they same folks.  Friendly and fun to see.

My wife talked to someone who travels with him.  Even his shoes match the suits 

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, ryanpatricksmom said:

The tendering situation in Greenland was already a huge problem (we never got our turn and missed the first port).  We had incredibly smooth seas and even that was a logistical nightmare to get passengers to land.  Couple that with trying to navigate a ship around dozens of icebergs in tough conditions, I'm sure that it's the best decision for all concerned.

Our experience was that if you didn't book a shore excursion, there was very little to see, and since most involved helicopters or small boats, they were probably going to be canceled anyway.

I'm sorry that you guys won't be able to at least see the island from a distance.  That and the starry skies were the best part, imo.

Thanks.  Last night was def not a starry night on the  ship

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

WAY better than last night.  I got up at 2 and looked out the windows. I would guess maybe 40 mph windows and 16 ft  seas

IMG_6579.jpeg

You are still only traveling at 12 knots, any idea where your 1st stop will be now? September 14th we sail for Greenland on Jewel of the Seas from Bayonne, NJ

Last night the Captain said it would improve dramatically.  My brother and sister in law are traveling with us, they have a neighbor (St Pete) who loves in St John Ca and said if we end up stopping there they would be our excursion.  Sent a pic from his property there this morning.  Sun was out and they were outside having coffee. Go figure.  

• Like 7

Just now, Jimbo said:

You are still only traveling at 12 knots, any idea where your 1st stop will be now? September 14th we sail for Greenland on Jewel of the Seas from Bayonne, NJ

We should here today.  Our issue there was because of tenders.  They could not twnder with any winds over 20 knots and he said that was in the forecast for “days”.  Hope it goes better for you.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

We should here today.  Our issue there was because of tenders.  They could not twnder with any winds over 20 knots and he said that was in the forecast for “days”.  Hope it goes better for you.   

Jewel is coming from Iceland on a Transalantic, they have a stop today in QOQORTOQ before heading to Canada and then to Bayonne.

Just checked Jewel's location and they are indeed at QOQORTOQ right now.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Just got the news.  Sue to the continued path for Idalia and two low pressure systems with high seas and winds, getting to Greenland and tenderizing is untenable.  We will have a revised Canada itinerary posted tomorrow.   Each Cabin will receive a $400 OBC.  😥

Sorry to hear that Jimbo,  We only missed 1 port in Iceland due to bad weather but made our other 3 stops.  Am sure there will be tons of shouting on board but enjoy the cruise wherever it takes you my friend.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The suit man, my new nickname for him.  Do not know him but someone told us he has 79 of these suits. This the third day, third “different” suit. 

IMG_6576.jpeg

Next time you see him call out “Mick you wanker, it’s your shout!”. He’s a good mate of mine 😄👍🍻🍻🇦🇺

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, MalGee64 said:

Next time you see him call out “Mick you wanker, it’s your shout!”. He’s a good mate of mine 😄👍🍻🍻🇦🇺

I stumbled across his YouTube channel this morning. 

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 3

On 8/31/2023 at 12:47 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks!  Glad you had a wonderful cruise.  Iceland is on our short to do cruise list.

Hey Jimbo! Didn't realize you were also on this Greenland cruise -- have a few other friends onboard too.  I'd definitely recommend Iceland at some point as I'm pretty sure you would really enjoy it. Sorry to hear you aren't making it to Greenland this time.

Happy sailing!

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Hey Jimbo! Didn't realize you were also on this Greenland cruise -- have a few other friends onboard too.  I'd definitely recommend Iceland at some point as I'm pretty sure you would really enjoy it. Sorry to hear you aren't making it to Greenland this time.

Happy sailing!

Hey. Thanks for checking in!  Not the cruise we planned on but it ia what it is. 

• Like 1

Captain came on around 3, said they were still working the revised itinerary.  What they did do was move up Cornerbrook  to  Friday and more info shortly.  

also said winds were about 65 knots last evening and 15 ft

swells.  Much better today.  

IMG_6582.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Hey. Thanks for checking in!  Not the cruise we planned on but it ia what it is. 

Yep, it is what it is. Just go with the flow and you'll be good. You'll just have to plan Greenland another time such as booking one similar to what we did on Celebrity (Reykjavik to Boston via Greenland) 😉

• Like 1

I think it is safe to say that the majority of cruises are smooth sailing, hence the Captain and crew have a fairly smooth job as well.  Hopefully fellow passengers will have a greater appreciation for the hard work the Captain and ALL the crew to keep everyone safe.  I know I never take them for granted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Happy sailing!

I agree our cruise to Iceland over the last two weeks was unbelievable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

I think it is safe to say that the majority of cruises are smooth sailing, hence the Captain and crew have a fairly smooth job as well.  Hopefully fellow passengers will have a greater appreciation for the hard work the Captain and ALL the crew to keep everyone safe.  I know I never take them for granted.

This captain is pretty young (relatively speaking) and quite an interesting guy.  I was very impressed.  He spoke VERY highly of rhe Coast Guard (medical wvac) He said they had a briefing, the y told him what they wanted, he complied and said it was amazing a ship doing 20 knots with 25  knot winds and 10 fr seas and the copter never waivered a bit 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Yep, it is what it is. Just go with the flow and you'll be good. You'll just have to plan Greenland another time such as booking one similar to what we did on Celebrity (Reykjavik to Boston via Greenland) 😉

Night and day today, weather wise.  I think they are worries foe othwr storms brewing also

• Like 2