Butler Team Service in SS - Please Post Current Cruisers Comments on your Experience.

JDPCruisers

We disembarkated from the Retreat on the Celebrity Edge in Barcelona last Saturday. We stayed in a SS and here is a photo of the minibar and the price list. We stopped by the fridge in the Retreat Lounge and stocked up with sodas and water every afternoon. You could have a much as you wanted. 

The bubbles were there when we embarked the ship.

20230909_172526.jpg

20230909_172531.jpg

20230909_125048.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 8:38 AM, Midsomer Madness said:

I’m so disappointed..we booked a SS for my 60th birthday in January, we booked believing there would be a butler, ok it’s not the be all and end all but it’s pretty poor that Celebrity still haven’t informed us of this change.

I have emailed and got the usual rubbish in response, I’ve replied but heard nothing more.

Had we not already booked and paid for our flights to Sydney I think we would have cancelled and booked Queens Grills on Cunard.  At the time we booked the Celebrity package was better value.

A cabin steward with a different badge does not a butler make.

We were looking at Celebrity for our silver wedding anniversary in 2025 but we’ve already scrubbed them from our list.

We are fans of Celebrity and Royal.  I have noticed that on Royal, while we don't have a butler, we had constant attention for the cabin attendants.  They seemed parked in our hallway all day- they did so much for us.  We typically sail on the oasis class in a crown loft suite, which is next to the suite lounge, bar and restaurant.  Never needed a butler- concierges were available most of the day also.  When have had both great and horrible butlers on Celebrity.  Some very attentive and gracious, others not available or we had to ask multiple times for the same thing.  We sail in sky, celebrity and royal suites.  Option to sail with other cruise lines or consider AI resorts.

every industry seems to be cutting service in order to increase profits now.  The supermarkets have self check outs as do the big box stores in our state. When you call many companies you get a pre recorded message and wait sometimes a hour for a human to speak to,   If they can they will continue to make cuts.  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2

@Cruise a holic can you please share your experiences with Coastal Kitchen vs Luminae food.  I'm familiar with the menus, but there is very little that I've read that makes mention as to whether one is an adequate substitute to the other, especially if ones reference point is Retreat (in my case Spring 2022 and 2023).

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We are fans of Celebrity and Royal.  I have noticed that on Royal, while we don't have a butler, we had constant attention for the cabin attendants.  They seemed parked in our hallway all day- they did so much for us.  We typically sail on the oasis class in a crown loft suite, which is next to the suite lounge, bar and restaurant.  Never needed a butler- concierges were available most of the day also. 

On Royal though in those cabins, you have the Genie, which is their equivalent of the Butler. Not quite the same, but also not just only your standard room attendants either.

2 hours ago, Cap_D said:

@Cruise a holic can you please share your experiences with Coastal Kitchen vs Luminae food.  I'm familiar with the menus, but there is very little that I've read that makes mention as to whether one is an adequate substitute to the other, especially if ones reference point is Retreat (in my case Spring 2022 and 2023).

Service excellent in both.  Food also very good! I like celebrity as the lounge is separate from the suite restaurant.  Some prefer the bar of coastal kitchen nearby    you cannot go wrong with either!  I am referring to oasis class on royal 

• Thanks 1

I was on the Celebrity Apex British Isles Cruise (9/2 - 9/14) in a Sky Suite and honestly, I have NEVER had a better trip.  I'd been reading for months all the concerns but I thought I'd see for myself how it worked and what I saw didn't bother me in the slightest.  I'll tell you my interactions:

Day 1 my wonderful Retreat Host (Jayson) introduced himself and wanted to make sure I knew how everything worked in the room (bathtub, etc,), which I appreciated.  I told him I had already emptied the mini fridge and showed him where I stowed everything (in a bottom drawer).  He was appreciative.  

Day 1, right after Jayson left, I noticed on the TV there was an option for Streaming Services (which is new and GREAT).  I kept trying to follow the instructions but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work.  I called the Retreat Team and told them my dilemma and within 15 minutes, someone from IT was knocking at my door and we got it to work.  End of my interaction with Retreat services.

Day 2, the head Butler, Arun, knocked at my door and introduced himself. Said, please call him if I needed anything, which I thanked him.  No, I didn't need him the remainder of the cruise but did see/talk to him the last sea day (update farther down).  

Jayson, throughout my port heavy cruise always took wonderful care of me.  Oh yes, I also told him Day 1 that I was Go Green, so I made sure I hung my towels on my door.  They still gave me new towels every other day.  He also left a chocolate on my pillow every night and brought me a couple bottles of water every day, without me asking for either.  

In the middle of the cruise, I had booked several specialty dining meals but one night, I thought I would really like to try the Rooftop Garden Grill for dinner.  I was in the Lumineau lounge, walked over to the Retreat Team representative up there, she made a phone call, and I had my reservation for 6:00 pm.  By the way, it was fantastic!  

I was up early every morning so I was usually at Cafe al Bacio when they opened every day.  Really love that place!  I like to get up and move around, not just lounge around in my room, but I know everyone is different.  On the last sea day before we docked in Rotterdam, there I was at 6:30 and asked for my coffee when a man next to me said, "Ma'am, I can bring that to you."  I was like huh?  Then I looked and I noticed it was Arun, the head butler.  They were making him several types of coffee drinks that he was obviously delivering.  I told him, thank you so much for asking, but I loved getting up and walking around the ship in the morning, including getting my own coffee.  He said again, if I wanted him to, he would be happy.  I thanked him for the wonderful service everyone had offered on the ship (LOVE the Apex) and that was the end.  By the way I had only met him once and yet, he knew my name and who I was.

Finally, that day, I ran into Jayson in the hallway and he asked if I had my luggage ready to go down, but I told him I had carried on and so I was good.  

I can only say, I would not hesitate to book this class of room again and unless you're someone who needs a lot of help/attention, how you could notice a difference is well...maybe someone is looking to find differences.   It was truly one of the best trips I've ever been on and anyone that wants a beautiful ship, the best/happiest crew around, to be treated so wonderfully, don't hesitate to book. 

I'm looking at another ship (S Class) next year but I would love to travel the Apex again.  Fantastic!

Edited by tce40
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, tce40 said:

I can only say, I would not hesitate to book this class of room again and unless you're someone who needs a lot of help/attention, how you could notice a difference is well...maybe someone is looking to find differences.

It reads to me as though you used none of the services that a butler would typically provide. Any room service meals/drinks? Afternoon snacks? Clothes pressing/laundry?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Service excellent in both.  Food also very good! I like celebrity as the lounge is separate from the suite restaurant.  Some prefer the bar of coastal kitchen nearby    you cannot go wrong with either!  I am referring to oasis class on royal 

Same experience here, was on Allure in Jan and Edge in April both this year. Our preference is Luminae as we didn't particularly care for Costal Kitchen being in the same large space of the Suite Lounge. We are mostly X over the last few years and will go to RC but not as a first preference and definitely not in an Oasis class, too many people and especially kids for our liking which was the case on Allure with small children running around in the Suite Lounge, thus the same space as Costal Kitchen and bar, which is all their parents fault in treating the lounge like a day care without any care. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It reads to me as though you used none of the services that a butler would typically provide. Any room service meals/drinks? Afternoon snacks? Clothes pressing/laundry?

I happily take care of myself, except for the two instances I mentioned to you.  It was a port heavy cruise so I was up and out most days, including going to Luminea to have a nice, hot breakfast almost every single day.  I used the Retreat Team for what I mentioned which was all I required.  🙂

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Same experience here, was on Allure in Jan and Edge in April both this year. Our preference is Luminae as we didn't particularly care for Costal Kitchen being in the same large space of the Suite Lounge. We are mostly X over the last few years and will go to RC but not as a first preference and definitely not in an Oasis class, too many people and especially kids for our liking which was the case on Allure with small children running around in the Suite Lounge, thus the same space as Costal Kitchen and bar, which is all their parents fault in treating the lounge like a day care without any care. 

39 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

While we enjoyed the edge, the apex was even better!  Heard the beyond the best!  Loved the suite lounge, deck and restaurant!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

While we enjoyed the edge, the apex was even better!  Heard the beyond the best!  Loved the suite lounge, deck and restaurant!

We, too, have cruised Edge, which was 24 days last April, and Apex, enjoyed them both very much, and have Beyond booked for next April so very much looking forward it. Love the Retreat on Edge and Apex so certainly anticipating the same on Beyond. 

One more thing I wanted to add as I read back on this thread (didn't even read anything while on the ship).  The Retreat Host, Head Butler, Retreat Team with individual names were on their cards and already in my cabin when I embarked.  There was no guessing or trying to figure out what the numbers were, etc.  I even took a picture of them so I could thank them by name at the end of the cruise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

We, too, have cruised Edge, which was 24 days last April, and Apex, enjoyed them both very much, and have Beyond booked for next April so very much looking forward it. Love the Retreat on Edge and Apex so certainly anticipating the same on Beyond. 

Retreat Sun deck on  Beyond is amazing as is the Sunset bar.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Since my husband is a professor at a university, our ability to travel is limited to the school calendar- he is also on campus during most of the summer.  Unfortunately we travel when families also travel.  Therefore kids almost always on the ships.  But we still find many less kids in the adult and suite areas.  If you can sail during non peak times, would find many less kids on board. We love the Oasis class ships our favorite Royal ships.  Tried old ships- they are too tired for us. We still enjoy Celebrity, and find their older ships much better then Royal's. 

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tce40 said:

One more thing I wanted to add as I read back on this thread (didn't even read anything while on the ship).  The Retreat Host, Head Butler, Retreat Team with individual names were on their cards and already in my cabin when I embarked.  There was no guessing or trying to figure out what the numbers were, etc.  I even took a picture of them so I could thank them by name at the end of the cruise.

Same for us on the Solstice. Also had the same experience that our Retreat Host left 2 bottles of water (sometimes 2 bottles both morning and night) and chocolates on the pillow every night.

Sounds like our Retreat Host wasn't as proactive but he did a fine job with the room, and brought us 2 blankets when requested (we cruised Alaska and used them on the balcony).

We purchased 1 day of laundry service which was brought back the following day and not shrunk. But all we gave them were jeans, underwear and socks. Amazingly, I still fit into the jeans on day 8.

Edited by PH2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

FYI.  A card with phone numbers and names has been the practice in Retreat for years.  On Edge class ships the in suite phones are next to the bed or toilet, and corded.  In my view, it  would be preferable and more user friendly to have a cordless phone that works around the ship, and ability to have services provided wherever one may be, along with in-app messaging and voicemail retrieval.  (Having to rely on voicemail and note cards for asynchronous communication is not convenient). 

That said, the recent cutbacks generally and specifically for sky suites do not appear to be aimed at making the services or food and beverage more accessible than they had been pre cutbacks.  Otherwise they would have kept or increased butler to room ratio, enhanced communication, instituted quality controls and coordination among departments, and aimed to pre-anticipate needs.

Also, for reference (for future cruisers), customer photos with names are circulated among crew, and at least previously, certain key swipe notices had been sent to the phones of assigned butlers so they could appear when customers may need their services or promote engagement.  They may also have had access to reservations, and whether you were signed in a certain venues like Luminae for dinner.  These were all good things that then would help add to the potential services offered or any troubleshooting needed if feedback or an issue arose, which may also involve other Retreat team members.  Not sure if anything has impacted any of that, but it was happening and an important part of the behind the scenes and sometimes front and center.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RichYak said:

Even without the "perks", suites are so much larger and more comfortable for a cruise.  It makes time spent in the cabin so much more enjoyable even for a short while.   IMO when you don't have to squeeze clothes in a tiny cabinet-and trip over each other if two or more- also a decent sized bathroom is much more comfortable.  However, the butler cuts are just to make more profits for the cruise line- line eliminating cashiers in supermarkets.  

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 1:47 PM, 39august said:

This is really trivial, but I am curious. Are Sky Suites currently getting the usual lip balm, seapass card holder and chocolates?

Had Lip Balm in the bathroom, Seapass Card Holder on the desk and chocolates on my pillow every night.  I was in a SS on Apex for the British Isles Cruise.

• Like 2