Any thoughts about Odyssey by next summer?

TylerRose

I am about to book a trip to Alaska next summer and am seeking honest feedback on state of Odyssey. Cruise would be end of June... 
Below are the two cruises I am torn between. I def prefer itinerary on SB and have not yet sailed SS.

(I posted on luxury cruise board as well, but don't know how often it might be viewed...)

SB Odyssey:  Jun 28, 2024 for your 14-Day Alaska Glaciers, Fjords & Inside Passage.
SS Silver Muse  June 20, 2024 Seward-Vancouver-Seward (BTB)

The state of the Odyssey is excellent.  Last fall we did the exact same 14-day Alaska cruise that you listed above and loved the multiple stops in small ports.  The ship itself is in excellent condition, with good-sized and well-designed standard veranda cabins, service was very good (keeping in mind that there were a number of new post-Covid hires that were learning the Seabourn way), food was excellent, and the ambiance on the ship was very congenial and pleasant.  Couldn't ask for a better experience. 

We're going back on the Odyssey in October for 32 days, if that gives some credence to how much we enjoyed that cruise.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

The state of the Odyssey is excellent.  Last fall we did the exact same 14-day Alaska cruise that you listed above and loved the multiple stops in small ports.  The ship itself is in excellent condition, with good-sized and well-designed standard veranda cabins, service was very good (keeping in mind that there were a number of new post-Covid hires that were learning the Seabourn way), food was excellent, and the ambiance on the ship was very congenial and pleasant.  Couldn't ask for a better experience. 

We're going back on the Odyssey in October for 32 days, if that gives some credence to how much we enjoyed that cruise.

TY so much for taking the time to share such an informative response. We have cruised to Alaska several times in the past, and it is the uniqueness of this voyage compared to the standard inside passage journeys that calls out to me. 

Given that nearly all of Seabourn’s most loyal, long term customers and lots of its Executives including the President herself are booked on the last sailing from Vancouver to Tokyo, and how big a deal they’re making of that, I doubt they’ll let things run out of hand. I’m still laughing when I think back on how much deep cleaning, carpet replacing and painting was taking place during the two weeks before the President visited this year’s world cruise on Sojourn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Given that nearly all of Seabourn’s most loyal, long term customers and lots of its Executives including the President herself are booked on the last sailing from Vancouver to Tokyo, and how big a deal they’re making of that, I doubt they’ll let things run out of hand. I’m still laughing when I think back on how much deep cleaning, carpet replacing and painting was taking place during the two weeks before the President visited this year’s world cruise on Sojourn.

TY for bringing up such a good point. I find CC an invaluable tool of shares and information. But over the decades, it has often become more a space of vent, esp since the industry has altered to cater to the masses. 

17 minutes ago, TylerRose said:

TY for bringing up such a good point. I find CC an invaluable tool of shares and information. But over the decades, it has often become more a space of vent, esp since the industry has altered to cater to the masses. 

I'm a Tyler Rose too!  Yes, I was born and raised there.   I have also found Cruise Critic to be very helpful.  I am always confident that if I have an important question, someone here will have an answer and if they do not, they will point me in the right direction to find an answer.  

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 7:18 AM, TylerRose said:

I am about to book a trip to Alaska next summer and am seeking honest feedback on state of Odyssey. Cruise would be end of June... 
Below are the two cruises I am torn between. I def prefer itinerary on SB and have not yet sailed SS.

(I posted on luxury cruise board as well, but don't know how often it might be viewed...)

SB Odyssey:  Jun 28, 2024 for your 14-Day Alaska Glaciers, Fjords & Inside Passage.
SS Silver Muse  June 20, 2024 Seward-Vancouver-Seward (BTB)

We were the 14 day Odyssey Alaska cruise in July 2023. One of our best cruises ever. The musical sail away from Rudyerd Bay was magical.  Going back on Odyssey in Feb. Go for it. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 4:15 PM, skybluewaters said:

The state of the Odyssey is excellent.  Last fall we did the exact same 14-day Alaska cruise that you listed above and loved the multiple stops in small ports.  The ship itself is in excellent condition, with good-sized and well-designed standard veranda cabins, service was very good (keeping in mind that there were a number of new post-Covid hires that were learning the Seabourn way), food was excellent, and the ambiance on the ship was very congenial and pleasant. 

About to leave the Odyssey.  We saw varying amounts of ongoing internal work. The suite was OK but the walk in closet is more of a slide in sideways closet 🙂 .... not too good for larger peoples. We found the staff to be generally OK, the food, overall, is repetitive and boring, and in some respects verging on mass market catering .  When the first thing you are told, within 30 minutes of boarding,  is 'don't drink the water'  your suspicions are aroused.

The Collonade could be a scrum at meal times. It cannot cope with large numbers. 

This was our first SB cruise and on the basis of this one we wouldn't book another.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

About to leave the Odyssey.  We saw varying amounts of ongoing internal work. The suite was OK but the walk in closet is more of a slide in sideways closet 🙂 .... not too good for larger peoples. We found the staff to be generally OK, the food, overall, is repetitive and boring, and in some respects verging on mass market catering .  When the first thing you are told, within 30 minutes of boarding,  is 'don't drink the water'  your suspicions are aroused.

The Collonade could be a scrum at meal times. It cannot cope with large numbers. 

This was our first SB cruise and on the basis of this one we wouldn't book another.

Sounds like seabourn isn’t for you.  Was on the odyssey several weeks ago and our experience was a positive one.

nancy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

TY for your honesty. Sorry it was a such a disappointment. I have bean on Seabourn cruises with newer ships and always had wonderful experiences. I hope you and Seabourn will someday share another and more positive voyage. 

7 hours ago, TylerRose said:

TY for your honesty. Sorry it was a such a disappointment. I have bean on Seabourn cruises with newer ships and always had wonderful experiences. I hope you and Seabourn will someday share another and more positive voyage. 

As the old adage goes, you never get a second chance to make a good first impression. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

When the first thing you are told, within 30 minutes of boarding,  is 'don't drink the water'  your suspicions are aroused.

Hello MBP&02/0,

We will board Odyssey for our first SB cruise later this week.  Can you elaborate on the water situation, please?

Are there water glasses to be filled in The Restaurant, and is the still water poured there  drinkable?  Did you find the water to be of bad quality on the ship?  

5 hours ago, Ithikan said:

Hello MBP&02/0,

We will board Odyssey for our first SB cruise later this week.  Can you elaborate on the water situation, please?

Are there water glasses to be filled in The Restaurant, and is the still water poured there  drinkable?  Did you find the water to be of bad quality on the ship?  

I'll just come in hear as a regular Seabourn sailor.

I always drink Evian water wherever I am.

On my two cruises in August,both ships did not have Evian but they had Aqua Panna which is in glass bottles and the water was good.

Ships now have a water system that allows you to fill a water bottle around the ship,it is also served at the table when dining and also around the deck from the bars.

I don't like this water or the taste of it.

Many people were fine with it so until you try it and see then don't worry unnecessarily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I mostly concur with MrL, although depending upon where I am in the world I sometimes drink tap water 😉.   SB changed to a new drinking water filtration system in 2019. I did not like the taste or smell of that water. Not an issue, there is always good branded bottled water available. 

It isn't clear from the post above the context. Who advised the poster to not drink the water, why the advice was given?  Clearly if it was e.g. the ship's captain announcing to all onboard to not drink it, is a different situation to another guest expressing mere dislike of it. More information is needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isklaar said:

I mostly concur with MrL, although depending upon where I am in the world I sometimes drink tap water 😉.   SB changed to a new drinking water filtration system in 2019. I did not like the taste or smell of that water. Not an issue, there is always good branded bottled water available. 

It isn't clear from the post above the context. Who advised the poster to not drink the water, why the advice was given?  Clearly if it was e.g. the ship's captain announcing to all onboard to not drink it, is a different situation to another guest expressing mere dislike of it. More information is needed.

A bit vague I thought.

Lucky we were here.😁

• Haha 4

When we boarded the suite attendants introduced themselves and as part of the intro she stated categorically that we should not drink the tap water. She informed us that she would replenish water botttles in the cabin on a daily basis. I have no idea what they use in the restaraunts.

Either way i do not like the taste, but imho water shouldn't really of anything.

I haver never come across this scenario in all my years at sea.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

When we boarded the suite attendants introduced themselves and as part of the intro she stated categorically that we should not drink the tap water. She informed us that she would replenish water botttles in the cabin on a daily basis. I have no idea what they use in the restaraunts.

Either way i do not like the taste, but imho water shouldn't really of anything.

Thank you for providing the context. Same as you, I've never had a suite attendant tell me that. 

56 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Did you ask why you should not drink the tap water?  

I never asked to be fair. She said the water from the sink, shower etc was fine for washing and showering but was ' not good for drinking '. She suggested using the supplied / home bottled water in the bathroom when brushing teeth. I presumed they know best 🙂 and would only suggest such a  course of action if there was a known issue?

11 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Was this an issue specific to your cabin or was it ship-wide?

I also wonder if the problem was with the attendant and not with the water supply.

I do wonder as well if it was the attendant having a prejudice against using tap water. We are on Sojourn currently and Quest earlier this year and have always used tap water to brush our teeth. Also friends who have been on Odyssey recently never mentioned anything different. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Sounds like just a clumsy way of your stewardess trying to say ‘don’t bother with the tap water, I’m bringing you our Nordaq’. I don’t think there was any more to it. The tap water on Seabourn is the same as on any other cruise ship. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Sounds like just a clumsy way of your stewardess trying to say ‘don’t bother with the tap water, I’m bringing you our Nordaq’. I don’t think there was any more to it. The tap water on Seabourn is the same as on any other cruise ship. 

It's actually Luxury tap water.😁

• Haha 1

Decided to go with my heart and book... 
Booked Odyssey for  June 28- July12, 2024 Alaska. Currently V4.
On fence about upgrading to penthouse spa suite... Can anyone share thoughts?
             (My main concern are the steps to cabin...)

55 minutes ago, TylerRose said:

Decided to go with my heart and book... 
Booked Odyssey for  June 28- July12, 2024 Alaska. Currently V4.
On fence about upgrading to penthouse spa suite... Can anyone share thoughts?
             (My main concern are the steps to cabin...)

I wouldn't bother as the steps might not be for everyone.