Radiance of the Seas Sept 1st propulsion

jcl410

Saturday afternoon - Monday report:

Sunday after lunch my wife and I went into Seward to look around. The weather was great!  RCI had charted two full sized buses to shuttle people into town. They made just two stops; at the Sealife Center, and the small boat harbor. Unfortunately, these stopped running around 3pm.... At 4pm,  the small, free shuttle was running completely full, with folks from the ship, and the train, etc...  A bunch of us trying to get to the ship when an unaffiliated  bus from a Lodge took pity n us and ran us back to the ship.

The final bus to the airport had been scheduled for 3pm. Around 5pm, they made an announcment that one mode bus was leaving for extra late plane departures.... At the evening production the cruise director mentioned that some people would still be on after noon on Sunday. I have no clue how many, but I did meet a few folks that said they were still waiting to hear when/how they were getting home. 

After breakfast Sunday morning, we made our way down to the gangway at 0830. There was no line at all. I asked, and was told there were still about 1000 people onboard... There were dock workers onboard who rolled our luggage down the gangway for us to the bus. (I had been worried about that; there was a 15 foot tide swing, and at high tide the gangway was quite steep. As luck would have it it was close to low tide when we left.)

The lucked out on the timing... The bus was almost full. We left after about 5 minutes as they stated loading the next bus. We got to the airport around 1115. The tour company operating the bus helped folks get their luggage to check-in... After that, we had a normal flight experience getting back to Maryland Monday morning.  

I have to give pretty high marks to the ship's crew. Everything onboard went smoothly. For the most part, the passengers also hndled things well. No shouting mobs, etc... I only saw one dust up between two passengers who started arguing about line jumping. 

Aloha,

John

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jcl410 said:

Saturday afternoon - Monday report:

Sunday after lunch my wife and I went into Seward to look around. The weather was great!  RCI had charted two full sized buses to shuttle people into town. They made just two stops; at the Sealife Center, and the small boat harbor. Unfortunately, these stopped running around 3pm.... At 4pm,  the small, free shuttle was running completely full, with folks from the ship, and the train, etc...  A bunch of us trying to get to the ship when an unaffiliated  bus from a Lodge took pity n us and ran us back to the ship.

The final bus to the airport had been scheduled for 3pm. Around 5pm, they made an announcment that one mode bus was leaving for extra late plane departures.... At the evening production the cruise director mentioned that some people would still be on after noon on Sunday. I have no clue how many, but I did meet a few folks that said they were still waiting to hear when/how they were getting home. 

After breakfast Sunday morning, we made our way down to the gangway at 0830. There was no line at all. I asked, and was told there were still about 1000 people onboard... There were dock workers onboard who rolled our luggage down the gangway for us to the bus. (I had been worried about that; there was a 15 foot tide swing, and at high tide the gangway was quite steep. As luck would have it it was close to low tide when we left.)

The lucked out on the timing... The bus was almost full. We left after about 5 minutes as they stated loading the next bus. We got to the airport around 1115. The tour company operating the bus helped folks get their luggage to check-in... After that, we had a normal flight experience getting back to Maryland Monday morning.  

I have to give pretty high marks to the ship's crew. Everything onboard went smoothly. For the most part, the passengers also hndled things well. No shouting mobs, etc... I only saw one dust up between two passengers who started arguing about line jumping. 

Aloha,

John

Thank you for the update!

• Like 4

Now the question for me is how do they handle customer who planned back-to-back cruises. We were booked on both the 8th northbound and the 15th southbound and purposefully booked the 2 cruises together. We are not necessarily all that interested in just going for the single week sailing on the 15th.

1 hour ago, RevCyn said:

Now the question for me is how do they handle customer who planned back-to-back cruises. We were booked on both the 8th northbound and the 15th southbound and purposefully booked the 2 cruises together. We are not necessarily all that interested in just going for the single week sailing on the 15th.

I would call RCL and ask-I would not be surprised if they also allow you to cancel the 2nd one, even if you just get FCC and not a cash refund

1 hour ago, Sea Viewer said:

B2B are able to cancel both with refund and FCC. also will reimburse some expenses. Per email from Royal

Slight correction.

RCCL will refund both the the 8th and the 15th fares, taxes, excursions, etc but you'll only get FCC first the 8th as the 15th wasn't canceled.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, STEVE-O said:

Slight correction.

RCCL will refund both the the 8th and the 15th fares, taxes, excursions, etc but you'll only get FCC first the 8th as the 15th wasn't canceled.

So do you see this in writing about the 15th? Or just case by case if calling? 

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So do you see this in writing about the 15th? Or just case by case if calling? 

My TA ( a former RCCL CVP) called and got clarification.

Sept 8th was supposed to be the first of a B-5-B.  I wouldn't have minded the refund AND FCC for the 15th but....nope.

Edited by STEVE-O
  • Like 2

Just got home from "Bon Voyage" dinner with friends. Still sad that cruises were cancelled but overall feel that Royal did the best they could even though I would have appreciated a little earlier notification. Before checking in for my flight would have been ideal!

I did look at booking another cruise from Vancouver this weekend but it didn't work. This was probably going to be DH's last long cruise as medical issues are going to prevent extended travel in the future. However we do live near Port Everglades so I'm sure we will catch a few cruises from there in the upcoming months. We have been blessed to have the opportunity to cruise and visit so many countries and hopefully will be on a ship again soon, even a 3 day sounds good now!

NOT looking forward to unpacking tomorrow, it is never my favorite thing. but at least I don't have to do laundry this time.!!!

Edited by Sea Viewer
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, STEVE-O said:

My TA ( a former RCCL CVP) called and got clarification.

Sept 8th was supposed to be the first of a B-5-B.  I wouldn't have minded the refund AND FCC for the 15th but....nope.

Are you still going to do the available cruises?

1 hour ago, Sea Viewer said:

Are you still going to do the available cruises?

Yes, we're still planning on doing cruises 2-5. We changed all our hotels and flights from Vancouver to Anchorage.

Now....we have our fingers crossed the 15th sailing actually happens.

• Like 1

Also was on the B5B starting on 9/8.  Currently on the Ovation and was fortunate they had a cabin available for 9/8.  Not my first choice, but ship happens.  
My fabulous TA is working on getting me a cabin for the 15th.  
Fingers and toes crossed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Also was on the B5B starting on 9/8.  Currently on the Ovation and was fortunate they had a cabin available for 9/8.  Not my first choice, but ship happens.  

So....if you get an Ovation cabin for Sept 15 you'll get to Vancouver for the 9-22 Radiance sailing (+2) ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Hope it all works out for you Pat 👍🏻

• Thanks 1