Radiance of the Seas Sept 1st propulsion

jcl410

While riding the trash n from Anchorage to Seward, I received an email from RCI saying the the Radiance of Seas had a propulsion issue overnight, and her top speed is reduced .

Boarding is proceeding as normal, but the email implied we might be leaving late.. 

I will update when I hear new news.

Aloha,

John

• Thanks 1

Update!

Current cruise has been cancelled.. no details on nature of problem.

Passenger can remain onboard until until noon Sunday. Compensation includes 100% refund plus 100 FCC. They will also arrange our flight back to Baltimore (even though we did not use Air2Sea);

No details yet about signing up for the transportation yet. All activities are going on about the ship. Some drinks are free, and the Internet is free.

More as I learn it.

Aloha, John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, jcl410 said:

Update!

Current cruise has been cancelled.. no details on nature of problem.

Passenger can remain onboard until until noon Sunday. Compensation includes 100% refund plus 100 FCC. They will also arrange our flight back to Baltimore (even though we did not use Air2Sea);

No details yet about signing up for the transportation yet. All activities are going on about the ship. Some drinks are free, and the Internet is free.

More as I learn it.

Aloha, John

It is a full refund and a FCC for 100% of your cruise fare!  So another cruise for free, but it doesn't make this situation any better.  Sorry for all the people who had booked this sailing.

• Like 2

1930 Seward time:

they have set up tables in the conference center for setting up return travel. I stopped by, but it was very crowded. I skipped that, and am now at dinner...

The Hotel Director was at Guest Services chatting with folks in line. One of the Azipods is bad... Two techs from ABB are flying out to the ship to assess the situation.

Aloha,

John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fisherpainting said:

We, too are booked to leave out of Vancouver on September 7th.  I wonder when they’ll make the decision on canceling that cruise?

Actually, you're leaving on the 8th, as am I.  They are supposed to let us know by Tuesday.  A number of RCL ships have cruised for months at reduced speed - they may eliminate a couple ports to compensate.  The big issue right now is that they would have to get the ship from Seward to Vancouver by Friday.  I am guessing that they may know by Monday if they will go to Vancouver, or if they need to go to a drydock.  I'm scheduled to fly to Seattle on Wednesday morning, and then the Amtrak Bus to Vancouver on Thursday afternoon.  If I know by Monday, I think the only money I'll be out is the non-refundable Amtrak fare of $50.  My flights and hotels are all using points, but the cancellation policies vary, so I'm hoping for a Monday notification!

• Like 1

We just got off Radiance this AM. The pod failed overnight, at a bad time as it was the first big storm we had - very lucky with weather this past week. The ship was really rockin on rough seas, and we got in to Seward 2 hours late. 

Hope for the best for those missing out on their cruises. Fam and I were talking about what we would do if we had just flown out and were in The situation. Could search for other lines going south from Whittier or Seward to replace the experience - we had 4 cabins, 9 people, so coordinating another family vacation months later would be hard. 

In December 2017 we were aboard the Allure.  During the cruise, we heard (rumor) that the ship was running on 2 propulsion systems, and the center pod wasn't functioning.  We were Star Class and had an exclusive visit to the Bridge.  And I made it a point to go to the stern and look at the wake beforehand, there was no cavitation coming from the center propulsion pod.  During the Bridge visit, I could see the controls for the propulsion system % or RPM, the center one, I don't remember how they were identified or numbered, was at 0% or 0 RPM.  So, I asked and at first, I got a very convoluted answer, I asked again, but very pointed this time, is the center pod functioning or not, the answer was no but there were two other very capable propulsion systems, and it had been like that for months without issue and won't be repaired until the next drydock, I don't remember when that was.  

So, the cruise line doesn't tell you everything that is going on with the ship.  I personally don't think that there is a need to do so if it really doesn't affect the safety of the ship, its crew, and passengers.  Luckily, our cruise itinerary wasn't affected because the issue was known much earlier and the itinerary was adjusted accordingly before we booked the cruise, we didn't miss anything that we paid for.  Mechanical issues happen all the time on a ship (or anything else mechanical).  I bet we all drive around for days, weeks, or even months with the "Check Engine" light on.  In this case, the cruise line, eventually, out of an abundance of caution, canceled the follow-on cruise(s).  I can't tell from this thread if RCCL notified the passengers already on board what was going on in a timely manner, it is/was obviously a safety issue but it appears that no physical harm came to anyone. I'm sure tempers flared though.

I feel bad for those who have been affected by this issue and hope they get a somewhat acceptable resolution.  

• Like 2

We are on the Radiance right now (Sat 9/2/23). RCL did not inform us until about 4pm Friday, so we were already on the ACT bus from Seward. We have until noon Sunday to depart and RCL is comp'ing guests and calling it a "hotel experience", with free bus service back to Anchorage leaving at multiple intervals including today. We look forward to RCL following through on their promises of travel compensation and future sailing credit. The crew is doing the best they can under the circumstances with some amenities open (dining) and others (shops) closed. Guest services has been packed since we boarded and I noticed some people virtually melting down over their predicaments. I also have not encountered any credible explanation of what the exact mechanical problem is, nor do I think I will get any. My advice to people on the Northbound trip (Vancouver-Seward 9/8/23) is to call RCL EARLY and get their best idea for disruption  mitigation. FYI, we decided to stay in AK for the balance of the week and self-fund some land based stay and travel. Not sure if we have any recourse to recoup any of that portion. Whale watching in Juneau (Harv n Marv) and Ducks tour Ketchikan quickly refunded our money, which is above and beyond their printed policies. Kudos to them for prompt responses. We look forward to the next "adventure".  : ^ )

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sat. Am update on my personal experience...

After dinner last night, I went to the conference center to sign up for flights... There was confusion by some as to who needed to be there. There were a number of air2sea clients in line,and the staff had to explain that they would be rebooked automatically.

I'm the end, that got figured out. They shut the  theater door after I got there at 2115 and I was done at 2220.

I received the confirmation email less than an hour later.... We're flying back on Alaska airlines, leaving ANC at 1400 Sunday 

This morning, there was still no word on busses to the airport. Going to guest services I was told that buses would run continuously starting at 0630

Right now Im watching the line of folks leaving from the warmth of cafe+latitudes on deck 5.

Aloha, John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

22 hours ago, MariettaGuy said:

Actually, you're leaving on the 8th, as am I.  They are supposed to let us know by Tuesday.  A number of RCL ships have cruised for months at reduced speed - they may eliminate a couple ports to compensate.  The big issue right now is that they would have to get the ship from Seward to Vancouver by Friday.  I am guessing that they may know by Monday if they will go to Vancouver, or if they need to go to a drydock.  I'm scheduled to fly to Seattle on Wednesday morning, and then the Amtrak Bus to Vancouver on Thursday afternoon.  If I know by Monday, I think the only money I'll be out is the non-refundable Amtrak fare of $50.  My flights and hotels are all using points, but the cancellation policies vary, so I'm hoping for a Monday notification!

We are also on the Northbound Alaska leaving on the 8th AND the Southbound on the 15th. Happened to stumble across this on a blog and then found this thread - have not received any notification from RCL so far. Will continue to follow here! Kind of curious of how to handle everything IF the NB cruise on the 8th is cancelled by the SB on the 15th does not get cancelled. Just praying that the issue is figured out and the cruise on the 8th & then the 15th are not cancelled.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RevCyn said:

We are also on the Northbound Alaska leaving on the 8th AND the Southbound on the 15th. Happened to stumble across this on a blog and then found this thread - have not received any notification from RCL so far. Will continue to follow here! Kind of curious of how to handle everything IF the NB cruise on the 8th is cancelled by the SB on the 15th does not get cancelled. Just praying that the issue is figured out and the cruise on the 8th & then the 15th are not cancelled.

I would worry rcl doesnt notify me of the status of both at the same time to make a decision. Good luck.

12 hours ago, 70sGringo said:

We are on the Radiance right now (Sat 9/2/23). RCL did not inform us until about 4pm Friday, so we were already on the ACT bus from Seward. We have until noon Sunday to depart and RCL is comp'ing guests and calling it a "hotel experience", with free bus service back to Anchorage leaving at multiple intervals including today. We look forward to RCL following through on their promises of travel compensation and future sailing credit. The crew is doing the best they can under the circumstances with some amenities open (dining) and others (shops) closed. Guest services has been packed since we boarded and I noticed some people virtually melting down over their predicaments. I also have not encountered any credible explanation of what the exact mechanical problem is, nor do I think I will get any. My advice to people on the Northbound trip (Vancouver-Seward 9/8/23) is to call RCL EARLY and get their best idea for disruption  mitigation. FYI, we decided to stay in AK for the balance of the week and self-fund some land based stay and travel. Not sure if we have any recourse to recoup any of that portion. Whale watching in Juneau (Harv n Marv) and Ducks tour Ketchikan quickly refunded our money, which is above and beyond their printed policies. Kudos to them for prompt responses. We look forward to the next "adventure".  : ^ )

We ended up doing a self guided trip of Alaska in 2021.  Recommend take a Mica guides tour of Matanuska Glacier.    Matanuska Glacier id an hour and a half drive from Anchorage.   Also, Denali.  In addition to the bus in Denali, my husband and son ziplined nearby.  We also loved our Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward.

Edited by Crazy planning mom