Best restaurant on 17th st, not a burger place?

sunsetme

17th Street is literally my home turf. Mezzaluna is probably the absolute best overall in the area. For an upscale experience where I’m looking for very attentive service, I’d pick 15th Street Fisheries Upstairs. It is directly on the Intercostal, 

Kelly’s Landing has been very good for a long time.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Southport Raw Bar - but it's our go to for lunch - never been there at night

While I enjoy Southport (Eat x, y longer), I would classify it more as a “burger joint,” with a significant focus on raw and fried shellfish rather than “fine dining.” I wouldn’t, and haven’t, thought twice about going in to Southport wearing flip-flops, a Jimmy Buffett shirt. with swim trunks.  I don’t think I’ve ever been in there without having french fried potatoes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

While I enjoy Southport (Eat x, y longer), I would classify it more as a “burger joint,” with a significant focus on raw and fried shellfish rather than “fine dining.” I wouldn’t, and haven’t, thought twice about going in to Southport wearing flip-flops, a Jimmy Buffett shirt. with swim trunks.  I don’t think I’ve ever been in there without having french fried potatoes.

nothing about 'fine dining' in the OP's post - just dinner - and 'raw bar' is not a burger joint - although they do have an excellent cheeseburger from the grill

We 'do dinner' the night before a cruise at the Hilton pool bar ... gotsta use that $20 food charge - that about covers an appetizer...

Edited by voljeep

Southport Raw Bar is very casual and has very good food. I have been there for dinner five times in the last three weeks while my kitchen is being renovated in Hallandale Beach. We love the fish tacos, fried fish sandwiches, New England Clam Chowder and the Conch Chowder.

On 9/3/2023 at 10:40 AM, voljeep said:

Southport Raw Bar - but it's our go to for lunch - never been there at night

We usually give most anywhere a second chance.  Southport was such a chaotic, madhouse sh&tshow we've never been back.  Food wasn't great either.

18 hours ago, bouhunter said:

We usually give most anywhere a second chance.  Southport was such a chaotic, madhouse sh&tshow we've never been back.  Food wasn't great either.

Southpoint Raw Bar really deserves a second chance. They are generally outstanding, but I suppose it depends on what you ordered. Any restaurant can have a disaster night, but it really is good.

On 9/3/2023 at 7:02 AM, FOPMan said:

17th Street is literally my home turf. Mezzaluna is probably the absolute best overall in the area. For an upscale experience where I’m looking for very attentive service, I’d pick 15th Street Fisheries Upstairs. It is directly on the Intercostal,

Bistro Mezzaluna is our favorite in the area. If the OP hadn't said "no burgers" I might have said Gilbert's, if for no other reason than their Key Lime Pie.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 11:07 AM, scottca075 said:

Bistro Mezzaluna is our favorite in the area. If the OP hadn't said "no burgers" I might have said Gilbert's, if for no other reason than their Key Lime Pie.

We always stop at Gilberts when staying in the area.  Great food, casual and very friendly.  Be sure to visit with Mama Gilbert - she is a hoot! 

Edited by DaveOKC

May I take this thread slightly north to the area around 21st St, where we'll be staying at the Plymouth Hotel, for two nights pre-cruise,  and ask for restaurant suggestions in that area.

For the first night, we will have just arrived on a transatlantic flight and will just want to get "something to eat" and go to sleep. So, somewhere quick and casual. For the second night, somewhere "nicer" for a relaxed three course meal. Not fussed about cuisine. Cuban? Seafood? Steakhouse? Anything else?

Any breakfast suggestions in the area? The Plymouth doesnt offer an on-site breakfast but does have an unknown "partner business" a couple of blocks away. I'd prefer to have an idea where I'm going, rather than rely on an unknown place, so any thoughts much appreciated.

TIA

John

1 hour ago, Harters said:

May I take this thread slightly north to the area around 21st St, where we'll be staying at the Plymouth Hotel, for two nights pre-cruise,  and ask for restaurant suggestions in that area.

For the first night, we will have just arrived on a transatlantic flight and will just want to get "something to eat" and go to sleep. So, somewhere quick and casual. For the second night, somewhere "nicer" for a relaxed three course meal. Not fussed about cuisine. Cuban? Seafood? Steakhouse? Anything else?

Any breakfast suggestions in the area? The Plymouth doesnt offer an on-site breakfast but does have an unknown "partner business" a couple of blocks away. I'd prefer to have an idea where I'm going, rather than rely on an unknown place, so any thoughts much appreciated.

TIA

John

The Plymouth Hotel is on South Beach in Miami, about 30 miles from Fort Lauderdale’s 17th Street. South Beach is fairly convenient for sailing out of PortMiami, but not convenient if one is sailing out of Fort Lauderdale.

My apologies to all if I have made a wrong assumption. There is no indication in the thread title or the OP that Fort Lauderdale was being referenced, so I'm not sure how on earth I was expected to have known. But, as that's the case, then thanks to FOPMan for correcting me. I'll ask my question on Tripadvisor's Miami Beach forum rather than here, so as not to confuse matters further. 

(FWIW, the first night I ever spent in America, back in the autumn of 1980, was in Fort Lauderdale. I recall it as a pleasant place. Not been back there, although have to the Miami area, most recently in  2015,  when we had a three week holiday, staying in various parts of Florida, including a short cruise)

Edited by Harters

You didnt come across as hostile. Nor was I confused, simply wrong. But I still have no idea how I would have known this was about Ft Lauderdale when there's nothing to indicate that it was. 

Edited by Harters

In the same way “South Beach” refers to a particular section of Miami, “17th Street” refers to a particular section of Fort Lauderdale. Kelly’s and Southport Raw Bar, for example, are on Cordova Road, which crosses 17th Street next to the Embassy Suites hotel. 15th Street Fisheries is at the east end of 15th Street (technically, Southeast 15 Street).

Before the shopping center that now houses the Publix was built, most locals (myself included) referred to the area by referring to the name of the shopping center on the north side of 17th Street-“Southport.” To confuse things a bit more, Southport Raw Bar isn’t in the Southport shopping center. It is in a small set of shops nearby.

• Like 1

Ahha. Got it now, I think. So folk who know Ft Lauderdale would know that an area  known as "17th St" is bigger than 17th St itself. And therefore the question and thread title were obvious to them. Whereas folk who don't know Ft Lauderdale might readily assume that 17th Street was simply a reference to a street - hence my confusion that it was just down from 21st St in Miami's South Beach. Not least as South Beach's 17th St, which I know reasonably well, is a busy area with lots of restaurants - just the sort of place someone might ask about a best restaurant. 

As I say, I'll ask my question on Tripadvisor where there won't be any confusion about location. Apologies again for unwittingly taking the thread on a tangent

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 6:37 AM, Harters said:

As I say, I'll ask my question on Tripadvisor where there won't be any confusion about location. Apologies again for unwittingly taking the thread on a tangent

You will get better responses here than TripAdvisor. Just start a new thread in the Florida Departures, "Dining near Plymouth Hotel Miami:"

There is good Cuban, steak, traditional America, "Latin", etc walkable from the hotel, which is in a great location.