Port Fees & Taxes credits for cancelled stops.

Philandher

Regent do not reimburse port fees & taxes if a port is missed.

They might make a gesture if the reason is within their control e.g. ship mechanical failure rather than simply bad weather.

You may be able to make a claim on your Travel Insurance.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is possible that Regent still has to pay many of the fees associated with a missed port.  On a recent Regent Splendor cruise, we missed a port because the wind prevented docking or tendering.  I wouldn't be surprised if the port basically said that it wasn't their problem and the fees were still due.

Just speculation on my part.

BTW, the only time I can recall getting compensation for a missed port was many years ago when we were on a repositioning cruise taking Mariner from California to Vancouver and then Alaska for the start of the summer season.  Very rough weather up the west coast delayed us to the point that Victoria was skipped to keep the rest of the itinerary on schedule.  We received about $300/pp as I recall.

It's all what the contract states. When you sail on any cruise line you're agreeing to the term of the sailing. If you don't like the terms, don't sail.  It's as simple as that. .  

Honestly, port fees are pretty minor in comparison to the price of the cruise.  Not really worth the worry for me.  

• Like 2

AFAIK Regent and Oceania play the port fee game to their advantage. Commissions to TAs are paid based on percentage of cruise fare. However, air fare and port fee/taxes are subtracted in making that calculation. But the invoice to the passenger never shows the port fees and taxes...thus no pressure/obligation to refund them when a port is missed.

17 hours ago, edgee said:

AFAIK Regent and Oceania play the port fee game to their advantage. Commissions to TAs are paid based on percentage of cruise fare. However, air fare and port fee/taxes are subtracted in making that calculation. But the invoice to the passenger never shows the port fees and taxes...thus no pressure/obligation to refund them when a port is missed.

Implicit in your statement:  port fees and taxes do show (at least in a lump sum) on the TA's version of the invoice.  Would an appeal via one's TA result in a refund?

6 hours ago, loriva said:

Implicit in your statement:  port fees and taxes do show (at least in a lump sum) on the TA's version of the invoice.  Would an appeal via one's TA result in a refund?

I doubt it. The line item is government fees and taxes and it is not broken down.

• Thanks 1