Sapphire or grand?

torybruno

Both ships are very similar and better suited to alaska cruising than most other Princess ships (owing to a covered pool and at least 1 high level, climate controlled, indoor observation area).  The grand was, at one time, the largest ship in the world, and has several "younger sisters" that all made improvements.  The sapphire is one of those younger sister ships.  Both ships are popular among Princess cruises, with the Sapphire likely being more preferred.

Why to choose the grand:

-OneFive nightclub (I think that's what its called) has a unique indoor and outdoor area with heaters (although its been several years since I've sailed on the grand)

-Vista Lounge (aft lounge) on the grand is a better layout

-The grand has a dedicated, and nicely decorated Crown Grill (steakhouse) whereas the Sapphire turns part of the buffet area into a steakhouse (Sterling Steakhouse), if that matters to you.

-The grand has a library of sorts which is in a space where gourmet tea was once sold (maybe still is?).  It's not big but is better than what the sapphire has which is effectively nothing if I recall.

-The grand has window suites if that interests you

Why to choose the sapphire:

-Although they are very similar design, the Sapphire has a wider exterior promenade deck, so much so that loungers are placed out there (similar to HAL ships) rather than benches on the Grand.

-Sapphire has 5 dining rooms vs 3.  They all have basically the same menu but are differently themed, but if you like to vary your surroundings and have a meal in a smaller setting, its a nice touch.

-Sapphire has the Skywalkers lounge which is great when the weather is poor since its a climate controlled, high level observation lounge/night club.

-The layout of inside, oceanview, and balcony rooms on the sapphire is subjectively superior since it they include a small "walk in closet" area to access the bathroom.  

-Sapphire has a larger Wheelhouse Bar which can be a nice, quiet location during the day.  Its large also.

-Sapphire has an extra pool I think and a better "aft pool terrace"

-Sapphire is 6 years younger, but we are talking about the ship being 20 years old, vs the grand being 26 by the time next summer rolls around.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Definitely Sapphire.  A minor negative on Grand Princess is the middle staircase which ends abruptly before going very high. It's a poor design that annoys many people who start up that staircase only to find it suddenly blocked.

As pointed out above by @cruisingrob21 Sapphire has the extra wide Promenade deck that allows for loungers while leaving plenty of room for those who are walking the deck.

There isn't a lot not to like about Sapphire Princess. (We love the Caribe Deck balconies that are extra large and half-covered.)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

Sapphire hands down.  The staff on the grand is nothing compared to the Sapphire and the ship is nicer as well.  Have an issue on the Grand?  Don't expect then to care or respond, even if it is a safety issue.  Ask for anything at all on the Sapphire and they will do their best to make it happen.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Have not been on either ship, but I would elect Sapphire in a second over Grand from everything I have read and absorbed.

😱 LOL  I'm shocked!!!! You have never been on either??????  I would have thought you had been on them all. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, waltd said:

😱 LOL  I'm shocked!!!! You have never been on either??????  I would have thought you had been on them all. 

We have several repeats.  Including departed ships, been on Golden, Ruby, Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, Regal, Majestic, Island.  That covers the main styles except Sapphire/Diamond and the most recent builds.  The rest - vicariously.

Edited by Steelers36

Although I like the Sapphire (have been on the Diamond), I am much more familiar with th Grand.  Have done many, many, many cruises on the Grand. 

In all honesty, you can't go wrong with either.  Both have great features.  

I don't need to ever use the middle staircase on the Grand.

I rarely go up to One5 on the Grand

• Like 2