Travel Requirement email from NCL today

NW Pacific

Cruise is Oct 15,2023, got this email, outlining  it is passengers responsibility to keep updated about any changes to countries on itinerary that may change health requirement to enter country . i.e. covid as I interpret it?  Will be denied boarding with no compensation if you do not have required documentation needed.  .  then went on abut visa requirements also being passenger responsibility.  Direct you to their Safe Sail page, which I don't think has been updated in over a year.  Only country listed was Australia with covid restrictions.  Don't know if this is just a standard email going out or if it is due to the uptick in Covid and there may be upcoming restrictions again.  thought it was pretty unfriendly about your responsibility and no compensation.  just my opinion

We’re on the same cruise and I received that email today also.  Read it, didn’t think much of it…they are just reminding you to check visa requirements etc. and bring your  Covid cards if you’ve got them. 🤷‍♀️ Sounded like a standard travel FYI email to me, as other poster said - covering their bases in case any countries suddenly impose new restrictions. 

You don't actually say what cruise you are going on but, since you mentioned Australia specifically . . . You DO need a visa to enter Australia unless you are a citizen of New Zealand.  As I recall, they are very easy and fast to obtain online.  It does not have anything to do with covid restrictions.  It would be nice of NCL to spell this out clearly since it comes as a surprise to most people!

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

You don't actually say what cruise you are going on but, since you mentioned Australia specifically . . . You DO need a visa to enter Australia unless you are a citizen of New Zealand.  As I recall, they are very easy and fast to obtain online.  It does not have anything to do with covid restrictions.  It would be nice of NCL to spell this out clearly since it comes as a surprise to most people!

NCL has passengers from dozens of different countries and cruises to dozens as well, so they would have to keep track of hundreds of permutations and document them all. If they tried there might be mistakes leading to bad consequences and probably bad publicity.  Better to just let people just take responsibility for their own situations.

I don't know if there is a connection, but there was a report recently about a large number of guests being denied boarding because they lacked some documentation.  It was not NCL but maybe that prompted them to send out a reminder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got the same reminder.  It’s SOP for NCL (and most cruise lines) that the passengers know what the requirements are for the different ports NCL sails to.  The immunizations/VISA requirements will change depending on where the guest is a citizen of, where they’re sailing to, and where they’re sailing from.

Always a good idea to check on those requirements instead of finding out about them at the pier and finding out you didn’t qualify and being left watching the ship sail without you.

• Like 1

Few if any countries still have strict COVID restrictions but that isn't to say it couldn't happen again, were there an uptick in serious cases.  So essentially, it's a CYA email.  I'd keep an eye on here; if anything changes, you can be virtually certain there will be posts about it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

Cruise is Oct 15,2023, got this email, outlining  it is passengers responsibility to keep updated about any changes to countries on itinerary that may change health requirement to enter country . i.e. covid as I interpret it?  Will be denied boarding with no compensation if you do not have required documentation needed.  .  then went on abut visa requirements also being passenger responsibility.  Direct you to their Safe Sail page, which I don't think has been updated in over a year.  Only country listed was Australia with covid restrictions.  Don't know if this is just a standard email going out or if it is due to the uptick in Covid and there may be upcoming restrictions again.  thought it was pretty unfriendly about your responsibility and no compensation.  just my opinion

NCL is just telling you to stay on top of requirements. it has always been the passengers responsibility regarding visas and they are just letting you know that you need to be alert for any special health requirements so that you don't show up for boarding and get denied. Letter is nothing to be concerned about.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

The short answer to you is: Yes, if you don't have what's required, you will be denied boarding.

It's not up to your TA or the NCL customer service. It's up to you to research what you need to bring for where you're going.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

This is a site I really depend on for this type of information. It has a handy tool that allows you to enter your destination and travel dates, and it then tells you what is required. Travel Restrictions (joinsherpa.com)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ellis1138 said:

The short answer to you is: Yes, if you don't have what's required, you will be denied boarding.

It's not up to your TA or the NCL customer service. It's up to you to research what you need to bring for where you're going.

Agree. but a good TA should really be on top of the issue and make sure his or her cruisers have everything they are required to have in order to take their cruise.

• Thanks 1

OP answering back.  The visa issue for countries was mentioned in email only after the Health Requirement Advisory.  Doing an Alaska Cruise. which stops in Canada for 4 hours.  On NCL website under safe and sail page, only Country listed was Australia still requiring vaccinations and testing.   Have cruised with NCL at least 25 times, most recently March this year, have never received an email like this.  My concern is if Canada reinstates their Covid testing requirement to enter Country (yes even on a cruise and you don't set foot in the Country, as was the case last year)  meeting that requirement could pose a problem.  I bought the cruise under the conditions no restrictions applied, if that changes, I feel a return of compensation is only fair.  This would apply to other countries in the next few months.  I have researched Canada's entry requirements thoroughly before purchasing cruise.  But if things change on a dime, I feel my purchase from NCL should be returned if unable to meet any change within a short time of departure.  Posted to see if others with cruises going wherever else have received same email.  Posting not about visa requirements, I don't think they change with the crazy covid possible epidemic again,  urggh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NW Pacific said:

OP answering back.  The visa issue for countries was mentioned in email only after the Health Requirement Advisory.  Doing an Alaska Cruise. which stops in Canada for 4 hours.  On NCL website under safe and sail page, only Country listed was Australia still requiring vaccinations and testing.   Have cruised with NCL at least 25 times, most recently March this year, have never received an email like this. 

We've received the "sail safe travel requirements" email for every cruise in the past couple of years, sometimes several times for each, it's nothing specific to your cruise.   The vaccine and testing rules for Australia were abolished about ten days ago, NCL hasn't updated their pages yet.  That was the last country (that NCL sails to) that had any rules, so that page should go away soon.

The cruise travel documents page is the important one.  Even for Canada, it's worth checking exactly what is needed. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

OP answering back.  The visa issue for countries was mentioned in email only after the Health Requirement Advisory.  Doing an Alaska Cruise. which stops in Canada for 4 hours.  On NCL website under safe and sail page, only Country listed was Australia still requiring vaccinations and testing.   Have cruised with NCL at least 25 times, most recently March this year, have never received an email like this.  My concern is if Canada reinstates their Covid testing requirement to enter Country (yes even on a cruise and you don't set foot in the Country, as was the case last year)  meeting that requirement could pose a problem.  I bought the cruise under the conditions no restrictions applied, if that changes, I feel a return of compensation is only fair.  This would apply to other countries in the next few months.  I have researched Canada's entry requirements thoroughly before purchasing cruise.  But if things change on a dime, I feel my purchase from NCL should be returned if unable to meet any change within a short time of departure.  Posted to see if others with cruises going wherever else have received same email.  Posting not about visa requirements, I don't think they change with the crazy covid possible epidemic again,  urggh

We received this message for every cruise we've taken (four in total, since restart, with the last being in March). I wouldn't stress it. Having said that, if a country's entry requirements change, NCL isn't giving you a dollar back. Why would they? I don't think you'd get a dime from travel insurance either. That's just a silly expectation. Sorry, not sorry. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

I don’t think it would be fair for NCL to be expected to compensate people due to something decided by a government. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2023 at 9:00 AM, Ellis1138 said:

That suggests NCL knows what is required for you to board. Why not just tell you?

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 1:36 PM, ontheweb said:

Agree. but a good TA should really be on top of the issue and make sure his or her cruisers have everything they are required to have in order to take their cruise.

Do you realize how many destinations there are?  It would be a full time job just to keep up with it.
At what point are people responsible for themselves anymore? It's pathetic the amount of hand holding people need and expect. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Uff da said:

Do you realize how many destinations there are?  It would be a full time job just to keep up with it.
At what point are people responsible for themselves anymore? It's pathetic the amount of hand holding people need and expect. 

Just as I would expect an accountant to keep up with changes to the tax code, I would expect a TA to keep up with changes for travel requirements. And that of course does not absolve one of his or her personal responsibility of knowing what is required for their own travel.

8 hours ago, babydrum said:

That suggests NCL knows what is required for you to board. Why not just tell you?

I didn't mean to suggest NCL knows the requirements for international travel. My apologies. In my experience, the NCL reps have barely known anything about the cruise, itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't need hand holding (UFF da)  think my original intention of posting has gone a little off.  I purchased this cruise under the Terms and Conditions listed I agreed to..  I researched entry requirements into Canada thoroughly.  after receiving the email, my impression was a little warning if "health requirements change" if you cannot get them, (testing, vaccinations) ,you will be denied boarding and no compensation.  If entry requirements change, which hopefully will not, yes, then I feel the Terms and Conditions of my purchase are no longer the same, thus NCL does have an obligation to accommodate for requirements or refund.   NCL has a responsibility to ensure anyone booking with them is provided up to date accurate information about terms and conditions of their itinerary before accepting their money,  if terms of sailing change it should be their obligation to accommodate and notify passengers.    I am "worrying" in advance, but like I have said previously, never received this email in 25 plus cruises.  Just made me wonder .  all I have to say! 

This is not covered in the NCL Terms and Conditions on the website. 

It is in the Ticket Contract, which hopefully you read before booking as it is binding on you.

There is a whole section on Covid and other diseases, changes in procedures and requirements, and no refund if any requirements, at the time of sailing, is not met.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/NCL_Guest_Ticket Contract_US_EN_02_2023.pdf

12 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

/If entry requirements change, which hopefully will not, yes, then I feel the Terms and Conditions of my purchase are no longer the same, thus NCL does have an obligation to accommodate for requirements or refund.

Without knowing for sure I'd be VERY surprised if NCL (or any other travel provider) didn't have an "entry requirement change"-disclaimer in the paperwork you sign when booking.

And what if for example testing returns as an requirement (which I doubt very much now that Covid is more or less a "regular" flu - could be wrong though)? Well, let's get tested! If we "fail", too bad, but we really shouldn't be onboard! Sorry to be harsh, but that's how I feel!

14 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

I don't need hand holding (UFF da)  think my original intention of posting has gone a little off.  I purchased this cruise under the Terms and Conditions listed I agreed to..  I researched entry requirements into Canada thoroughly.  after receiving the email, my impression was a little warning if "health requirements change" if you cannot get them, (testing, vaccinations) ,you will be denied boarding and no compensation.  If entry requirements change, which hopefully will not, yes, then I feel the Terms and Conditions of my purchase are no longer the same, thus NCL does have an obligation to accommodate for requirements or refund.   NCL has a responsibility to ensure anyone booking with them is provided up to date accurate information about terms and conditions of their itinerary before accepting their money,  if terms of sailing change it should be their obligation to accommodate and notify passengers.    I am "worrying" in advance, but like I have said previously, never received this email in 25 plus cruises.  Just made me wonder .  all I have to say! 

Sounds reasonable.