AmaWaterways AmaDara Mekong River Cruise, Nov-Dec 2023

bleacher04

Hi All -- my wife and I will be sailing with AmaWaterways on the AmaDara on one of the their Mekong River cruises, Nov-Dec 2023.  Our first river cruise.  We're also doing the pre-cruise option in HCMC/Saigon and the post-cruise tour to Angkor Wat from Siem Reap.

I read a thread on this forum a few weeks ago where a poster commented about tipping guides and drivers each day, but I can't find it now (yes, I should have bookmarked).  I have no problem with the tipping, I just want an idea of how much cash to take!  (i.e. an estimate of how many different guides to expect over the course of the trip).  And what currencies?  I recall from a previous visit to Vietnam and Cambodia that US dollars were readily accepted.

Any other tips and comments are of course welcome!

Thanks!

Paul

9 hours ago, bleacher04 said:

Hi All -- my wife and I will be sailing with AmaWaterways on the AmaDara on one of the their Mekong River cruises, Nov-Dec 2023.  Our first river cruise.  We're also doing the pre-cruise option in HCMC/Saigon and the post-cruise tour to Angkor Wat from Siem Reap.

I read a thread on this forum a few weeks ago where a poster commented about tipping guides and drivers each day, but I can't find it now (yes, I should have bookmarked).  I have no problem with the tipping, I just want an idea of how much cash to take!  (i.e. an estimate of how many different guides to expect over the course of the trip).  And what currencies?  I recall from a previous visit to Vietnam and Cambodia that US dollars were readily accepted.

Any other tips and comments are of course welcome!

Thanks!

Paul

I got US$100 in new $1 bills and over 4 million Vietnamese Dong, worth at the time less than US$200. I did all of my tips in US$ in Cambodia. In Vietnam, I generally tipped 2000 dong which was pretty well equivalent to US$1. I came home with about $70 or so and a few dong. Generally, there is a different guide for each excursion, and I usually tipped $1  or 2000 dong each time. Sometimes there were 2 or even 3 in a day; I think I tipped more for Angkor Wat as the tours were longer. We rode an ox cart one day, and a tuk tuk on another; I tipped each of them, as well as the guide we had where we were going.

Edited by gnome12
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I got US$100 in new $1 bills and over 4 million Vietnamese Dong, worth at the time less than US$200. I did all of my tips in US$ in Cambodia. In Vietnam, I generally tipped 2000 dong which was pretty well equivalent to US$1. I came home with about $70 or so and a few dong. Generally, there is a different guide for each excursion, and I usually tipped $1  or 2000 dong each time. Sometimes there were 2 or even 3 in a day; I think I tipped more for Angkor Wat as the tours were longer. We rode an ox cart one day, and a tuk tuk on another; I tipped each of them, as well as the guide we had where we were going.

Thanks very much @gnome12 -- I prefer to tip in the local currency as well, whenever possible.  I don't think we can get Cambodian riel from our bank, but I know we can get Vietnamese dong.

Do you recall what type(s) of electrical outlets they had on the AmaDara?  And also the typical dress for dinner?  We are transferring to a Holland America cruise after this river cruise, so we will have some semi-formal attire with us, but would prefer not to "dress up" unless everyone else is.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

1 hour ago, bleacher04 said:

Thanks very much @gnome12 -- I prefer to tip in the local currency as well, whenever possible.  I don't think we can get Cambodian riel from our bank, but I know we can get Vietnamese dong.

Do you recall what type(s) of electrical outlets they had on the AmaDara?  And also the typical dress for dinner?  We are transferring to a Holland America cruise after this river cruise, so we will have some semi-formal attire with us, but would prefer not to "dress up" unless everyone else is.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Dress was very casual. People generally changed for dinner because they were sweaty. For dinner, I usually put on what I planned to wear the next day. 

Don’t worry about Cambodian currency; almost no one uses it. Pricing in any restaurant I went into was in US$. I think that was also true of anything I looked at to buy. 

Sorry, I remember nothing about electrical outlets. I tried the FAQs; they say all ships are 220v 2-pin, but I suggest seeing what info comes up when you look at My Cruise. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, hoosier2017 said:

Just received our documents for this trip.  Regarding electricity book says “the electricity on board is 220v/50hz with US style (2 prong) power outlets. You may need an adapter and converter for any electrical devices you bring with you.”

Virtually anything you want to plug in today is dual voltage so you probably don’t need anything on board. Both Cambodia and Vietnam have a variety of plugs (and voltages) so you probably need converters for some of the hotels. 

1 hour ago, hoosier2017 said:

Just received our documents for this trip.  Regarding electricity book says “the electricity on board is 220v/50hz with US style (2 prong) power outlets. You may need an adapter and converter for any electrical devices you bring with you.”

This is a scary combination.  It would surely violate the electrical codes in the US.  US style 2 prong outlets and 220V DO NOT MIX.  [Just as the really handy US "dual banana" speaker connectors are banned in Europe because they fit a Type C socket – plug your speakers into 220V and say 'goodbye speaker' !]  Granted most people onboard will be safe as they will be plugging in electronics that auto-adapt – but the danger is there for older appliances and simple ones (like lamps).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is a scary combination.  It would surely violate the electrical codes in the US.  US style 2 prong outlets and 220V DO NOT MIX.  [Just as the really handy US "dual banana" speaker connectors are banned in Europe because they fit a Type C socket – plug your speakers into 220V and say 'goodbye speaker' !]  Granted most people onboard will be safe as they will be plugging in electronics that auto-adapt – but the danger is there for older appliances and simple ones (like lamps).

I don't know if that information is correct, but from power-plugs-sockets.com

Electricity in Vietnam

In Vietnam the power plug sockets are of type A, C and D. The standard voltage is 110 / 220 V and the frequency is 50 Hz.

which means that it might be possible to find 220V type A (North American) outlets.

4 hours ago, hoosier2017 said:

Bleacher04, the document from AMA says what I quoted.   

Thanks!  Did they send you these documents after you completed the online check-in?  We just did that on the weekend but have not received anything else yet (except the paid-up invoice).

We had already completed on line check in but docs came approximately 4 weeks out from the start of our trip.  We are mid October to November.  Happy to let you know what we experience when we return.  Visas arrived today so it feels like everything is coming together.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hoosier2017 said:

We had already completed on line check in but docs came approximately 4 weeks out from the start of our trip.  We are mid October to November.  Happy to let you know what we experience when we return.  Visas arrived today so it feels like everything is coming together.  

I'd very much appreciate hearing your thoughts and any tips, @hoosier2017

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, we got our Vietnamese visas and we received our documents from Ama.  And we're vax'd up for polio, JE, and typhoid, with a scrip for malaria pills that I'm undecided on.

I was surprised how much bus travel their was for the daily tours, even with the "active walking" tours, but then I realized that docking along the Mekong is not going to be the same as docking on a big European river...

On 10/15/2023 at 5:46 PM, bleacher04 said:

...but then I realized that docking along the Mekong is not going to be the same as docking on a big European river...

We didn't travel with AMA, but expect most details are the same.  The boat usually dropped anchor mid-river and we were tendered into shore. We did lots of local travel with local transport (tuktuk, motorcycle drawn carts etc...). 

A comment on money --> take lots of crisp $1 USD bills,,, lots of opportunity to spend them.  Whether it be a bunch of fresh bananas, some touristy magnets etc...  The local people really count on tourist dollars.  But  - the bills have to be crisp and new - they won't accept anything wrinkled or torn. 

Fran

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2023 at 8:04 PM, franski said:

We didn't travel with AMA, but expect most details are the same.  The boat usually dropped anchor mid-river and we were tendered into shore. We did lots of local travel with local transport (tuktuk, motorcycle drawn carts etc...). 

A comment on money --> take lots of crisp $1 USD bills,,, lots of opportunity to spend them.  Whether it be a bunch of fresh bananas, some touristy magnets etc...  The local people really count on tourist dollars.  But  - the bills have to be crisp and new - they won't accept anything wrinkled or torn. 

Fran

Thanks Fran.  We have started the regular pilgrimages to the bank to try to get crisp $1 and $5 US bills.  Fortunately we keep a USD bank account.  But we’re going to take some VND as well, also for tips and small purchases.

New question — malaria pills?  We have prescriptions for Malarone, my past experiences with other malaria pills has not been pleasant.  We’re going up to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat after the river cruise, and then cruising to Malaysia and Indonesia after that.

I’m not asking for medical advice — we’ve seen a travel doctor and I know this is a cruise forum on the internet LOL — just wondering about others’ experience with mosquitos on the Mekong.  Thanks.

12 hours ago, bleacher04 said:

New question — malaria pills?  We have prescriptions for Malarone, my past experiences with other malaria pills has not been pleasant.  We’re going up to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat after the river cruise, and then cruising to Malaysia and Indonesia after that.

I’m not asking for medical advice — we’ve seen a travel doctor and I know this is a cruise forum on the internet LOL — just wondering about others’ experience with mosquitos on the Mekong.  Thanks.

Didn't worry about Malaria... so didn't have anti-malarials with us...  but, take good bug spray. And use it liberally.  My feet & ankles got quite bitten - but I didn't realize it was happening... so am thinking it might have been sand fleas or another insects? 

We did Siem Reap, Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom....I didn't notice the bugs being worse there than in the places we stopped along the river. Angkor Thom was more "green" than Angkor Wat, but not a lot of open water around so maybe that helped reduce the mosquito interactions? 

Fran

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bleacher04 said:

We also did not take anti-malarials. We brought along, and used, a bug repellent cream that worked very well, and had no issues with bugs or bites. The one we use is by Sawyer and is Picaridin Insect Repellent Lotion, it can be found in camping/fishing supply shops, or online, and is rather pricey, but works incredibly well. Hubby enjoys kayak fishing here in Florida and it's his "go to" mosquito repellant. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, franski said:

Didn't worry about Malaria... so didn't have anti-malarials with us...  but, take good bug spray. And use it liberally.  My feet & ankles got quite bitten - but I didn't realize it was happening... so am thinking it might have been sand fleas or another insects? 

We did Siem Reap, Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom....I didn't notice the bugs being worse there than in the places we stopped along the river. Angkor Thom was more "green" than Angkor Wat, but not a lot of open water around so maybe that helped reduce the mosquito interactions?

31 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

We also did not take anti-malarials. We brought along, and used, a bug repellent cream that worked very well, and had no issues with bugs or bites. The one we use is by Sawyer and is Picaridin Insect Repellent Lotion, it can be found in camping/fishing supply shops, or online, and is rather pricey, but works incredibly well. Hubby enjoys kayak fishing here in Florida and it's his "go to" mosquito repellant. 

Thank you both.  We have a 30% DEET cream/lotion that works pretty well.

• Like 1

Good morning.   Last day aboard AMA Dara.   Everything has been wonderful.  Regarding malaria pills, some who have taken them report bad side effects.  We did not take them.    
Many people have come down with colds, but we go constantly from air conditioning to hot heat and humidity.   
Staff is amazing!   Know you by name from the minute you walk on and they cannot do enough for you.  Each one goes above and beyond.   
Food has (mostly) been good.   Hotels are outstanding. 
Bring bug spray, light pants (required for temple visits), hat, cooling towels or mini neck fans (lots of people brought them). 
Also electrolytes for water bottles are helpful.  
any questions let me know.   I’ll check back after the morning excursion. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hoosier2017 said:

Good morning.   Last day aboard AMA Dara.   Everything has been wonderful.  Regarding malaria pills, some who have taken them report bad side effects.  We did not take them.    
Many people have come down with colds, but we go constantly from air conditioning to hot heat and humidity.   
Staff is amazing!   Know you by name from the minute you walk on and they cannot do enough for you.  Each one goes above and beyond.   
Food has (mostly) been good.   Hotels are outstanding. 
Bring bug spray, light pants (required for temple visits), hat, cooling towels or mini neck fans (lots of people brought them). 
Also electrolytes for water bottles are helpful.  
any questions let me know.   I’ll check back after the morning excursion. 

Thanks very much @hoosier2017 -- appreciate all of the info, and glad that you are having a great time!  Good suggestion about the electrolyte powder.

It looks like we visit a temple or sacred site almost every day LOL!

Are you doing the before-and-after tours with AMA as well, in Saigon and Siem Reap?

4 hours ago, hoosier2017 said:

Yes  this trip started in Hanoi then Siem Reap, the cruise and ending  In HCMC.   Don’t skimp on bringing extra clothes because you’re gonna sweat!       It’s been an amazing trip..

Great to hear that it's been amazing, @hoosier2017 -- we are really looking forward to this.  We are going the other direction, from HCMC to Siem Reap, but I suspect the stops and tours will be the same.

We have a lot of clothes ready that are lightweight and dry quickly!

In post #4 above, gnome12 mentioned that dress for dinner was pretty casual -- was that your experience too?

12 hours ago, bleacher04 said:

We have a lot of clothes ready that are lightweight and dry quickly!

We were lucky with Emerald in that they have a laundry room on board - and it was free to use!!  We went through MANY changes of clothing with the heat & humidity.  If they didn't have laundry facilities, I would have paid to have laundry done. 

Laundry is one "luxury" I will splurge on when cruising. It is done and returned so quickly...  If I need items washed that won't dry overnight (and it would have been hard in Vietnam)  then I will plan to do laundry once while away.   Figure that is a small price to pay, and "peanuts" in the overall cost of the trip.

Fran

• Like 1