How are formal nights these days cruising in the UK?

suzyed

6 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

BTW... it isn't just the dressing up... we can do that on any night. It is the fact that everyone is dressing up and making it a special night. 

Some people have no sense of style and that is fine... carry on wearing your T-shirts, baseball caps and shorts all you like. But why spoil it for others that want to enjoy something a bit more special.

Princess has a minimum standard for the MDR - we should all follow it. On formal nights if you don't want to take part then eat in the buffet and don't spoil it for everyone else.

this is all on Princess lack of enforcement of their own 'rules' / 'code' - If P wants 'formal' nights - that's what's simple

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

this is all on Princess lack of enforcement of their own 'rules' / 'code' - If P wants 'formal' nights - that's what's simple

Yes, you are right. But if P doesn't want formal nights then they should not be on the itinerary. There is absolutely no point listing a night as formal if they then don't enforce it.

If they didn't have any dress code for the MDR at all or on formal nights then I would have no problem with that. We book the cruise based on what is advertised. But it cuts both ways IMO... if there is a dress code or formal night advertised then people to respect that and not try to break those rules. Others will expect those rules to be followed... Princess should enforce them... or remove the rules altogether IMO.

Edited by Snaxmuppet

39 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Totally disagree. Sorry.

I don't see why progress should mean dumbing down to the lowest common denominator. If you don't like to have formal nights choose a line that doesn't have them. If you don't like there being a dress code for the MDR then choose a line that doesn't have one.

It is that simple.

It isn't that simple since we've built up all our seniority on Princess over the years and changing cruise lines would mean starting at the bottom all over again. We dress according to what Princess allows, and lately it had become very lenient in what's allowed. 

This is just the cruise line that we prefer and now with their laid back dress suggestions, even more so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

BTW... it isn't just the dressing up... we can do that on any night. It is the fact that everyone is dressing up and making it a special night. 

Some people have no sense of style and that is fine... carry on wearing your T-shirts, baseball caps and shorts all you like. But why spoil it for others that want to enjoy something a bit more special.

Princess has a minimum standard for the MDR - we should all follow it. On formal nights if you don't want to take part then eat in the buffet and don't spoil it for everyone else.

For us, it is a special night. It means special food in a relaxed atmosphere on a cruise ship that we prefer. 

We don't dress down with T shirts, baseball caps and shorts but save that for a casual evening, following what they now allow on a formal night in the DR. i.e.- dress jeans/Polo for my husband, slacks & dressy to for myself.

You should be prompting Princess it serve the same exact meals at the buffet & we would gladly go there to eat. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Yes, you are right. But if P doesn't want formal nights then they should not be on the itinerary. There is absolutely no point listing a night as formal if they then don't enforce it.

They advertise formal night for people like yourself who enjoy getting dressed up while letting people select their own style of clothing.

I can't see why it's so upsetting. Everyone gets to tailor the night as they see fit. It doesn't bother me that some folks wish to go all out for that one night to enjoy themselves, just don't force others to do likewise. 

• Like 3

This topic has been discussed, cussed and more for over 20 years. Give up!!!

If you want to:

dress up - dress up!

dress like you are going to the beach - go to the beach!

dress in your yard clothes - bring your yard tools!

dress in your birthday suit - go on a different cruise line!!!! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

They advertise formal night for people like yourself who enjoy getting dressed up while letting people select their own style of clothing.

I can't see why it's so upsetting. Everyone gets to tailor the night as they see fit. It doesn't bother me that some folks wish to go all out for that one night to enjoy themselves, just don't force others to do likewise. 

Guest Snaxmuppet
26 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Force? No one is forcing anyone to do anything. We are just discussing it here to exchange thoughts and ideas. I wouldn't force anyone to do anything they didn't want to do and in any case, I am not the dress police and do not complain on board if others don't follow the rules... that is up to them and it is up to Princess, not me, to enforce the rules.

My point though is that Princess do have rules and if we sail on a Princess ship we should follow and comply with those rules. If you don't like the rules then no-one is forcing you to sail on Princess or any other line but if we don't like the Princess rules then we shouldn't sail with them.

Just as a reminder... this is from the Princess web site...

[quote]

For evening dining, keep with what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home: skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies, pants and open-neck shirts for men. Cruises five days or longer include at least one formal dining night: evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men.

[/quote]

Why people can't stick to that I have no idea.

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

If they didn't have any dress code for the MDR at all or on formal nights then I would have no problem with that. We book the cruise based on what is advertised. But it cuts both ways IMO... if there is a dress code or formal night advertised then people to respect that and not try to break those rules. Others will expect those rules to be followed... Princess should enforce them... or remove the rules altogether IMO.

It is a "Suggested Dress Code" not the Magna Carta for god's sake.  Anyway, in 500 plus days of cruising on Princess alone we have never been admonished once by anyone on what we were wearing in the MDR and tuxes and gowns are not part of our repertoire.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Amen to that. I am fine with a dress shirt and slacks for men and nice dressy shirt with dress capris for women. I won't do sequins or will he do any kind of suit with tie but thats us.

If anyone else wants to go full tilt I support you! 

Our Celebrity cruise last spring follows a smart casual on formal nights and it was lovely! 

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
37 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

No they don't. There is a dress code for the MDR as "smart casual" on non-formal nights and "evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men." on formal nights. You seem to be making up the rules you want rather than the rules Princess have set.

36 minutes ago, Oxo said:

If you want to:

dress up - dress up!

• Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
Just now, Princessfan20 said:

It is a "Suggested Dress Code" not the Magna Carta for god's sake.  Anyway, in 500 days of cruising on Princess alone we have never been admonished once by anyone on what we were wearing in the MDR and tuxes and gowns are not part of our repertoire.

Fine... but I still bet you wore smart casual as a minimum?

That is fine in my book. No one has to wear the full works. But a nod to the fact that it is a formal night and so smart casual as a minimum... if not then yes, turn people away if they cannot dress appropriately. I do not think that t-shirts and shorts are appropriate on a formal night. It should be what you might wear to a smart restaurant as a minimum IMO to be in keeping with the Princess code.

Guest Snaxmuppet
38 minutes ago, Oxo said:

If you want to:

dress up - dress up!

So you say that there is no dress code and anything goes... is that right?

Guest Snaxmuppet
Just now, Princessfan20 said:

From the Princess website:

"For more formal settings, men should bring a dinner jacket, slacks, or a dark suit and a nice pair of shoes, while women may want to bring an evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit."

The is no "Have To" or "Must Do" in there!

You clearly have a totally different meaning to the word "should" to me then. It says "should" not "can".

Just as a reminder here is the commonly accepted meaning of "should"...

Should

1. used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, 

It says "an obligation". So no... not a "must do" but there is an obligation, an expectation.

5 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

So you say that there is no dress code and anything goes... is that right?

Apparently you don't understand English? I should have said the Queen's or King's English

Take it anyway you want, too. 

Edited by Oxo

Guest Snaxmuppet

@voljeep Do you have nothing to say apart from laughing and making fun of what I say? You have done that several times now and it is just rude. If you disagree with me then fine, no problem with that, but don't just laugh... say why.

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Apparently you don't understand English?

Take it anyway you want, too. 

I understand English... You just don't want to say what you actually mean and hide behind just trying to be clever. Pointless as it doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Guest Snaxmuppet
Just now, lahlah57 said:

I think we can all agree not everyone has common sense. One person presentable dinner attire is a suit and a cocktail dress anothers is a sequined swimsuit, a tshirt without a hole and salsa stains on the front. 

Yes... that is why there are standard dress code rules on Princess... so people don't turn up in t-shirts etc to the MDR. It is a Princess cruise... not a greasy spoon cafe down the market.

This whole subject is getting ridiculous. 

All I know is that Princess is letting people dress in a manner which lets them enjoy the night. Neither in full formal dress or simple casual, even allowing shorts if it pleases them. 

I can't see it ever going back to what it was years ago, so live with it.

I know I will. 

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

This whole subject is getting ridiculous. 

All I know is that Princess is letting people dress in a manner which lets them enjoy the night. Neither in full formal dress or simple casual, even allowing shorts if it pleases them. 

I can't see it ever going back to what it was years ago, so live with it.

I know I will. 

I will live with it but it is just typical of Princess... saying one thing and doing something else. 

I realise I will never win this argument. People like dumbing down nowadays and the days of class and elegance is fast disappearing. Shame.

Nuff said then 🙂