How are formal nights these days cruising in the UK?

suzyed

I know formal nights have gotten more casual over the years but I was wondering if people were still a bit more dressy on Europe/UK sailings? 
Whenever I think of formal dress in the UK it brings me back to our sailings on the QM2 which of course is very formal.
Any recent experience?
Don't be Gobsmacked Steerlers36!  LOL!

Edited by suzyed
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

I know formal nights have gotten more casual over the years but I was wondering if people were still a bit more dressy on Europe/UK sailings? 
Whenever I think of formal dress in the UK it brings me back to our sailings on the QM2 which of course is very formal.
Any recent experience?

Well, I could be.  Our UK friends here on CC always post that they dress up more - at least out of Southampton.  I do think with a more international group of guests, the dressing is up a notch.  But it changes nothing IMO.  We wear what we wear.  Don't you?

• Like 5

On our last sailing from Southampton (this past spring), there was a fellow who sat very near us every night in Club Class wearing a ball cap. 
Remarkably, this seemed to have no impact on the flavor or appeal of our meals. 

• Like 9

I’m getting off the Enchanted in Barcelona. Many dress up but many dress down ( nice shirt and tie or polo shirt). Some even wear shorts although they are a small minority. Dh wore shorts one night when not formal because we just got back from a tour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me (and, after speaking with her, also for my wife) we are grateful that it seems the Brits have retained some sense of decorum and are, apparently, more willing to dress nicely for the so-called, "formal nights". I say "so-called' as so very many US folks on these boards seem to absolutely despise the very idea of wearing any sort of clothing that apparently "violates their right to do whatever the **** they want to do because it is "their vacation and screw you if you don't like it"!)

As for the oft-asked question here on CC: The "dress code" (yes, I did put it in quotes) is exactly the same for every cruise no matter where it goes. Yes, many say to simply ignore it as a "suggestion". Fair enough as the staff doesn't enforce the listed "standard". Of course they don't as the slightest complaint from a passenger can seriously jeopardize their job.

I have seen many posts here on CC saying one should "wear whatever they feel like" and to ignore the "formal night people" (read this as "freaks") and wear torn sweat pant shorts with a singlet (wife beater for the US), and a backwards ball cap that is never removed. Does this "ruin my meal"? No, but it really annoys the bejeebus out of me that people can insist on "their right to be a slob".

I've had jobs where  long sleeves and a tie was mandatory for men while the women could wear sleeveless dresses/tops/ whatever. I've also had jobs where it wasn't mandatory but the male employees always wore a tie. Boo hoo.  Whatever. No, I don't have to dress nicely for Formal Nights but I choose to do so. I don't have a problem with it at all and it definitely pleases my wife. Why is it such a "horrible problem" for so many? (I've heard the "luggage weight" argument too many times. (We are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay not wealthy and we can afford the tiny bit of extra weight a suit causes in luggage.)

For many of you here in these forums, go ahead and "rip me a new one". I don't care. It doesn't hurt me at all to dress a little nicer on the Formal Nights (heck, we even observe the Smart Casual "mandate" on all the other nights.

Note: If we are spending our evening up on Lido Deck - either in the buffet or other dining venue or simply enjoying the upper decks for relaxation or, perhaps, an evening movie on MUTS - we have no issue with totally casual clothing. Duh... That is the atmosphere that should be the norm on Lido Deck and, mostly, above. (Attire in Skywalker's on the Grand Class of ships is "flexible" and definitely seems to vary depending on the time of day. I've found the P/E/S time to be, fairly often, more "smart casual" than "whatever".

I fully understand those who had to wear ties, etc. for work for much of their lives and have zero interest in ever doing so again. I don't ask that these folks wear a tie or anything. I would simply request that they remove any hats, not wear trashed or super sloppy clothing (I freaking do NOT want to see your undergarments), not show me your "crack of doom" and, for the ladies, please don't show me your "whale tail" at dinner. One doesn't need to be "dressed up" to please me on Formal Night but I get enough of the "FU" dress code at home downtown.

Go ahead. I know there are quite a number of folks here on CC who have the "it's MY vacation so stick it where the sun don't shine" attitude about pretty much all aspects of cruising. I freely admit that, when I was first dragged onto a cruise ship, I absolutely knew I would hate the "uppity" people and their style of dress I couldn't afford. What I found instead was that almost everybody I met was nice. When I got off that first cruise I wanted to get right back on again. People don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with them in order to get along.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

For me (and, after speaking with her, also for my wife) we are grateful that it seems the Brits have retained some sense of decorum and are, apparently, more willing to dress nicely for the so-called, "formal nights". I say "so-called' as so very many US folks on these boards seem to absolutely despise the very idea of wearing any sort of clothing that apparently "violates their right to do whatever the **** they want to do because it is "their vacation and screw you if you don't like it"!)

As for the oft-asked question here on CC: The "dress code" (yes, I did put it in quotes) is exactly the same for every cruise no matter where it goes. Yes, many say to simply ignore it as a "suggestion". Fair enough as the staff doesn't enforce the listed "standard". Of course they don't as the slightest complaint from a passenger can seriously jeopardize their job.

I have seen many posts here on CC saying one should "wear whatever they feel like" and to ignore the "formal night people" (read this as "freaks") and wear torn sweat pant shorts with a singlet (wife beater for the US), and a backwards ball cap that is never removed. Does this "ruin my meal"? No, but it really annoys the bejeebus out of me that people can insist on "their right to be a slob".

I've had jobs where  long sleeves and a tie was mandatory for men while the women could wear sleeveless dresses/tops/ whatever. I've also had jobs where it wasn't mandatory but the male employees always wore a tie. Boo hoo.  Whatever. No, I don't have to dress nicely for Formal Nights but I choose to do so. I don't have a problem with it at all and it definitely pleases my wife. Why is it such a "horrible problem" for so many? (I've heard the "luggage weight" argument too many times. (We are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay not wealthy and we can afford the tiny bit of extra weight a suit causes in luggage.)

For many of you here in these forums, go ahead and "rip me a new one". I don't care. It doesn't hurt me at all to dress a little nicer on the Formal Nights (heck, we even observe the Smart Casual "mandate" on all the other nights.

Note: If we are spending our evening up on Lido Deck - either in the buffet or other dining venue or simply enjoying the upper decks for relaxation or, perhaps, an evening movie on MUTS - we have no issue with totally casual clothing. Duh... That is the atmosphere that should be the norm on Lido Deck and, mostly, above. (Attire in Skywalker's on the Grand Class of ships is "flexible" and definitely seems to vary depending on the time of day. I've found the P/E/S time to be, fairly often, more "smart casual" than "whatever".

I fully understand those who had to wear ties, etc. for work for much of their lives and have zero interest in ever doing so again. I don't ask that these folks wear a tie or anything. I would simply request that they remove any hats, not wear trashed or super sloppy clothing (I freaking do NOT want to see your undergarments), not show me your "crack of doom" and, for the ladies, please don't show me your "whale tail" at dinner. One doesn't need to be "dressed up" to please me on Formal Night but I get enough of the "FU" dress code at home downtown.

Go ahead. I know there are quite a number of folks here on CC who have the "it's MY vacation so stick it where the sun don't shine" attitude about pretty much all aspects of cruising. I freely admit that, when I was first dragged onto a cruise ship, I absolutely knew I would hate the "uppity" people and their style of dress I couldn't afford. What I found instead was that almost everybody I met was nice. When I got off that first cruise I wanted to get right back on again. People don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with them in order to get along.

You're a funny guy. 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Tell us how you really feel!! 😜

You’ve expressed what many have probably wanted to say.  But, were afraid to go into the water.  😳

Thank you for making my day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Post pandemic, we have surmised that most (like us) have struggled to fit into the formal attire. 😉 We chose festive but not truly formal for the last few post-pandemic cruises—especially since they were California and Florida launched—but there’s a goal to get back on track squeeze back into the good stuff for the next cruise out of Southampton. My husband misses pretending he is James Bond for the evening and I have a couple of dresses purchased for cancelled cruises that need their promised debut.

That said, dressing up for a formal night can be fun but don’t do it if it isn’t fun for you. Formalwear police do not exist. Only judgy people who have no business judging others do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Yes, yes, yes.  I love getting dressed up.  An extra piece of luggage? So what?  Every post-cruise (hyphen in right place?) questionnaire I, and my friends, have ever filled in there is always a section where we say “enforce the dress code if you’re having one”.  They never do.  Cunard and Fred.Olsen do enforce it, don’t know of any others.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, teenieleek said:

Yes, yes, yes.  I love getting dressed up.  An extra piece of luggage? So what?  Every post-cruise (hyphen in right place?) questionnaire I, and my friends, have ever filled in there is always a section where we say “enforce the dress code if you’re having one”.  They never do.  Cunard and Fred.Olsen do enforce it, don’t know of any others.  

But here's where the fallacy is.  There is not a dress "code" to enforce.  They are recommendations and suggestions.  The only "absolute" is what is banned or not accepted.  But it seems even that is not absolute these days.  So, they are not enforcing the "absolute" all the time now.  

By your comment, it wouldn't be clear to me at Princess what you mean by enforce.  Do you want them to consistently enforce the "absolute" phrase in the clothing recommendations?  Do you want the entire recommendations changed to an enforced code?  Everyone has their own idea about what is acceptable and what is not.  These two questions represent either end of the scale and I doubt there is a black&white answer.

At least you can enjoy the cruise the way you like and no one is going to get upset at your love of dressing up.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

But here's where the fallacy is.  There is not a dress "code" to enforce.  They are recommendations and suggestions.

Where does it say that?

In the daily "hymn sheet" it says "Tonight's attire: Formal" - no suggested, no recommended, no make it up as you go along, no do as you please because you are on your holidays just plain and simple the attire for the night.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

But here's where the fallacy is.  There is not a dress "code" to enforce.  They are recommendations and suggestions.  The only "absolute" is what is banned or not accepted.  But it seems even that is not absolute these days.  So, they are not enforcing the "absolute" all the time now.  

By your comment, it wouldn't be clear to me at Princess what you mean by enforce.  Do you want them to consistently enforce the "absolute" phrase in the clothing recommendations?  Do you want the entire recommendations changed to an enforced code?  Everyone has their own idea about what is acceptable and what is not.  These two questions represent either end of the scale and I doubt there is a black&white answer.

At least you can enjoy the cruise the way you like and no one is going to get upset at your love of dressing up.

It’s not a recommendation or a suggestion.  It says tonight is a formal night.  If you want to wear a baseball cap and a Hawaiian shirt, please go to the buffet.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, david63 said:

Where does it say that?

In the daily "hymn sheet" it says "Tonight's attire: Formal" - no suggested, no recommended, no make it up as you go along, no do as you please because you are on your holidays just plain and simple the attire for the night.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

The first link on this page is titled "Clothing Recommendations".

This is the phrasing that I refer to as the "absolute": 

Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps or jeans with fraying and/or holes are not welcomed in the dining room. Shoes must be worn.

I probably should have kept to my recent self-council to not engage in this topic beyond simply answering a question.  I think we all know that the reality of cruising with Princess has changed in recent years and yet they still uphold the tradition so that guests are welcome to participate to the extent they desire.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, teenieleek said:

It’s not a recommendation or a suggestion.  It says tonight is a formal night.  If you want to wear a baseball cap and a Hawaiian shirt, please go to the buffet.

Did I say I wanted to wear those items? NO. (BTW, certain Hawaiian style shirts are considered formal). 

This is why I prefer to no longer engage in debates on this matter because posters like you wish to denigrate others who prefer not to wear a tux or a business suit.

On another day it will say "Smart Casual".  That doesn't mean I cannot wear a suit.  We were on a cruise once where a couple at a nearby table were formally dressed every night.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I think we all know that the reality of cruising with Princess has changed in recent years and yet they still uphold the tradition so that guests are welcome to participate to the extent they desire.

Most people realize that the code theses days is only mentioned in passing to appease those that enjoy dressings up on a cruise ship, although I suspect there are a few people who haven't cruised in years that might be a little set back by how some cruisers intrepid that "formal" header on the patter. 

I think that maybe the point that is being missed here is that the OP asked about the dress code for cruises out of the UK - not anywhere else in the world. I fully accept that Princess cruises out of the US have a different interpretation.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

I think that maybe the point that is being missed here is that the OP asked about the dress code for cruises out of the UK - not anywhere else in the world. I fully accept that Princess cruises out of the US have a different interpretation.

Perhaps you should have phrased it like the OP - it's about the experience people encounter these days.  The PCL clothing recommendations are generic across all ships across the World.  Also, there is no evidence that PCL DR Mgmt uses different practices/interpretations in various parts of the World.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m sure Princess will enforce the “dress code” as stringently as they do the excursion activity level policy…if it takes you 5 minutes to walk down the steps on the bus, you shouldn’t be on the strenuous hiking excursion!  

21 hours ago, suzyed said:

Any recent experience?

We sailed on the Regal out of Southampton in July.  Most people dressed nicely.  Only saw a few tuxedos.

• Like 2

Sailed in the Sky out of Southampton mid August and was amazed by the number of men and boys in tuxedos,  women and girls in long dresses.   Families looked amazing and wore their formal attire very comfortably.   Well done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1