How are formal nights these days cruising in the UK?

suzyed

On some Princess sailings, beginning this year, the prescribed dress is stated as "Dress to Impress."  When I first read that, 2 questions came to mind:  1) Who do we have to impress?  2) Why do we have to make an impression while on vacation?

img733a.jpg

img734a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

To the expense of those that cruise with the line because they have those rules you don't want to follow.

Look, I am not unsympathetic to those that don't want to dress up at all. In a way, it isn't about dressing up. It is about Princess not enforcing the rules they say they have in place and everyone then taking advantage of that. The fault lies mostly with Princess... not so much with you. Humans being humans will do whatever they can get away with... I get that. If Princess allow it then it has to be considered allowed. But Princess shouldn't then advertise formal nights and should just drop it altogether. Similarly, if they allow shorts in the MDR in the evening then just drop the whole "smart casual" thing altogether too.

I am not having a go at you or anyone else and I realise that I appear to have been doing just that. Sorry. But this whole discussion is brought about by Princess not enforcing the rules... they should either enforce the rules so it is fair to everyone or drop the rule completely and stop pretending that the rule exists.

This post came after mine, so again, calling the clothing recommendations "rules" is incorrect and sets a whole different connotation.

This may not be you, but some posts about formal wear seem to be complaining because they followed the recommendation and others didn't, so why did they have to?  IOW, they would have also dressed smart casual if they had realized not an actual rule?

But I do agree PCL ought to re-word the FAQ as I have said over recent years.  It's not about making the recommendations as written a rule because that just won't fly.  Anyway, I hope you have a relaxing and enjoyable experience next time you cruise with Princess.

• Thanks 1

We have never done the "tux and ball gown" thing but have, traditionally dressed nicely on Formal Nights. My profile pic is from our first cruise. Up until our last two cruises - both last year - I have always worn a suit on those nights. On the last two I didn't wear the jacket but still dressed nicer than on Smart Casual nights. (I always ditch the shorts and sandals in the evening for "nicer" dress.) On the last cruise I didn't wear my jacket:

image.thumb.jpeg.7990ddc4e24d03d70733676af9493f9f.jpeg

I recently dropped 40 lbs. so a new suit was on order... Hopefully the other "fashion accessory" won't be needed on our next cruises but I'll likely have to pack it just in case.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

For us, a major part of cruising is the fun of getting dressed up and celebrating like it is New Year's Eve!  As Issac Mizrahi (American designer) says, "if you are going to show up, then SHOW UP!"

I love to look beautiful, and elegant on formal nights, and DH better match me in style for all the formal photos we take!  Even though I am American, I have some favorite British designers, especially Georgina Chapman.  Here is one of her delicious dresses I wore two months ago on the Enchanted Princess:

Embroidered Floral Fitted Gown

Lovely!

10 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Totally disagree. Sorry.

I don't see why progress should mean dumbing down to the lowest common denominator. If you don't like to have formal nights choose a line that doesn't have them. If you don't like there being a dress code for the MDR then choose a line that doesn't have one.

It is that simple.

It's not really a dress code...but I catch your drift.

9 hours ago, MissP22 said:

This whole subject is getting ridiculous. 

All I know is that Princess is letting people dress in a manner which lets them enjoy the night. Neither in full formal dress or simple casual, even allowing shorts if it pleases them. 

I can't see it ever going back to what it was years ago, so live with it.

I know I will. 

And to think  I actually was JUST asking about cruises out of Southampton, UK....LOL!

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I had a post all prepared and putzed it by hitting the wrong key.  It involved copying in some quotes from your many posts in this thread.  SO, I will keep it brief now ( probably much to the delight of fellow posters here).

In your early Post #31 and in the above #64, you do state the Smart Casual is okay by you for formal nights.  However, in posts in between, you write rather insistently that folks ought to comply with the "rules".  But the clothing recommendations/requests are not "rules".  The only "hard and fast" (supposedly) is the list of excluded items such as shorts, ball caps, beach attire, flip-flops (non-shoes).  In one post, you stated you don't want to "force" anyone, but it was clear from most of your posts that you expect others to dress formally.  I am not sure how this spoils a night.  PCL only has the formal dress recommendation for the DR's and nowhere else on the ship. 

In another post, you suggested the poster (perhaps others too) are looking to go to the lowest common denominator of dress.  I don't think that is fair as most folks are good with Smart Casual and I glean this from reading many posts over the years here on Cruise Critic and also from on-board observations.  I see very little LCD dress if you mean casual t-shirts, shorts, sweat pants, or whatever at dinner.  Sure, there may be the odd bloke dressed for the greasy spoon that you referred to in Post #72.  But this is far, far from the norm on Princess.

In conclusion, PCL is never going back to the way it was on formal nights.  It is high time they updated their clothing recommendations to reflect actual practice on the ships while still supporting a formal or dress-to-impress night.  Thank you for clarifying in a couple of your posts that Smart Casual is okay by you if guests do not wish to dress formally.  I hope it doesn't spoil your cruise - I know that folks dressed formally on any night do not spoil my cruise (and I have seen formal wear on non-formal nights as well).

Yes, I can see the inconsistencies. It is a confusing landscape to navigate and my views seem to change from day to day it seems. Sorry to confuse.

Let me summarise where I personally stand...

Looking at my posts and considering how I feel now the overriding issue for me with MDR dress code isn't formal nights. It is the code for the MDR at all times.

If the smart casual was enforced all the time then the fact that people don't want to dress up on formal nights wouldn't be an issue for me. We do what we want on holiday... I get that and if people don't want to dress up then of course that is perfectly fine. But the fact that the MDR smart casual isn't enforced, even on formal nights, creates a disturbing contrast that I find difficult to cope with. Being in the MDR all dressed up and next to a group in shorts and T-shirts is just wrong IMO. 

So, I can summarise then how I feel... I personally would like to see smart casual enforced... no t-shirts, no shorts, no baseball caps... all the time in the MDR and then formal nights will take care of themselves.

Does that make more sense?

Just now, SargassoPirate said:

How could you tell the folks in slacks and polo shirts "felt pretty uncomfortable"?

Well I couldn’t say for sure obviously but I had a feeling when they kept looking around a lot at dinner (there were a couple on the next table over at dinner). I couldn’t say for sure and I’m sure nobody minded it!

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 hours ago, Thrak said:

We have never done the "tux and ball gown" thing but have, traditionally dressed nicely on Formal Nights. My profile pic is from our first cruise. Up until our last two cruises - both last year - I have always worn a suit on those nights. On the last two I didn't wear the jacket but still dressed nicer than on Smart Casual nights. (I always ditch the shorts and sandals in the evening for "nicer" dress.) On the last cruise I didn't wear my jacket:

image.thumb.jpeg.7990ddc4e24d03d70733676af9493f9f.jpeg

I recently dropped 40 lbs. so a new suit was on order... Hopefully the other "fashion accessory" won't be needed on our next cruises but I'll likely have to pack it just in case.

You both look great! I would be very happy being in the MDR with you two.

For me it isn't about tux's, it is about dressing smartly and elegantly and you fit the bill on both those points IMO.

48 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

So, I can summarise then how I feel... I personally would like to see smart casual enforced... no t-shirts, no shorts, no baseball caps... all the time in the MDR and then formal nights will take care of themselves.

Below is a Princess Event Listings from a Sky Princess cruise ex Southampton.  The prescribed dress is "White & Gold."  (This wasn't a themed cruise.)  If I did participate in that evening's dress recommendation, I'm not sure what I would wear.  I wouldn't be too keen on buying an outfit to adhere to what Princess is recommending.  It's in this instance that I'm glad you recognize, that there are limitations to what should be enforced.

img20230911_01064436a.jpg

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, SCX22 said:

Below is a Princess Event Listings from a Sky Princess cruise ex Southampton.  The prescribed dress is "White & Gold."  (This wasn't a themed cruise.)  If I did participate in that evening's dress recommendation, I'm not sure what I would wear.  I wouldn't be too keen on buying an outfit to adhere to what Princess is recommending.  It's in this instance that I'm glad you recognize, that there are limitations to what should be enforced.

img20230911_01064436a.jpg

As I said in my recent post... IMO, smart casual should be the only enforced dress in the MDR... everything else should be optional but then everybody will feel at ease as everyone is reasonably smartly dressed.

I think that this is all more relevant on cruises from Southampton as it seems that more people from Brit based cruises like dressing up. 

50 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

As I said in my recent post... IMO, smart casual should be the only enforced dress in the MDR... everything else should be optional but then everybody will feel at ease as everyone is reasonably smartly dressed.

I think that this is all more relevant on cruises from Southampton as it seems that more people from Brit based cruises like dressing up. 

HI

As a fellow Brit I agree. Whilst what other people wear does not bother me, I actually find it impolite for people to be in shorts and T shirts in the MDR, but that might be because I am older ( mid 60s) and the way I was brought up.

• Like 2

Saw this combination on Cunard and the fellow said it's easy to pack lightly.  The sport coat weighs 19 ounces.  Add a few colored T-shirts with matching pocket squares, black jeans that can be worn anytime and weight or space packing "formal wear" for the cruise is not a valid excuse for not dressing up.

Screenshot_20230911-075853~2.png

Edited by SargassoPirate

5 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Does that make more sense?

Of course it does but Princess just operates in such a grey area now on the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law that it appears they are not going to run a tight ship in regards to dress codes in the MDR.  Now if we can only have some rules or guidelines for what people are allowed to wear at the pools.  That often is unsettling, unfashionable and unsightly. 😃

• Haha 1

If ever there was a “we’ll have to agree to disagree” subject, this is it. 
I see that we have several CC newbies on this particular thread. It seems there is a burning need for new folks on both sides of the debate to contribute paragraph after paragraph to precisely express their individual points of view. 
And the most entertaining thing of all, after thousands and thousands of words, not a single mind will be changed. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
36 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

If ever there was a “we’ll have to agree to disagree” subject, this is it. 
I see that we have several CC newbies on this particular thread. It seems there is a burning need for new folks on both sides of the debate to contribute paragraph after paragraph to precisely express their individual points of view. 
And the most entertaining thing of all, after thousands and thousands of words, not a single mind will be changed. 🤷🏼‍♂️

You are probably right. But discussion here isn't always about changing minds. It can be about getting your opinions out there for others to assess and to get their opinions. Sometimes hearing others views can make you reassess your own thoughts.

Take me on this topic for instance... people have quite rightly pointed out my inconsistencies in my posts. As a result I have been able to focus down more clearly in my mind what matters and what doesn't. So while I might not have fundamentally changed my position I have certainly got a clearer picture in my mind of how I think and how it is... so this discussion has been very much worthwhile from my perspective and it may have helped others too (you never know!). 🙂 

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

And the most entertaining thing of all, after thousands and thousands of words, not a single mind will be changed

Although no one on these boards will change their minds, the endless discussions over the years must have had some effect on Princess's view of the subject. Just look at where we are today. 

If nothing was ever hashed over, things might just be the same as they were in the year1990 with guys wearing suits & ties while the women wore what they pleased, calling it formal. 😄

Except for the few formalists, most people can live with their latest views of the dress code suggestions. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, roadster08 said:

I don't understand the double standard with caps.

Should any of these cap wearer be denied entry to the MDR?

oil-Henry-VIII-wood-Hans-Holbein-the.webp.6f89e127a69d9be3da1de30050fdc095.webpFranciscus_2023.jpg.e19b7169b195ecf53cba0c2b947020a6.jpg81inkxp5tDL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.ea760abee6780133f2a93d06497131b0.jpg

Yes Henry viii should definitely be denied entry. Not because of his cap but because of his cod piece (which can be seen in the full version of that picture). That item would actually put me off my dinner 😀.

• Haha 3