How are formal nights these days cruising in the UK?

suzyed

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

When will the Moderator close this thread so a new thread on "How to dress on formal nights" will immediately be started again and this topic can be rehashed endlessly again.  They should just make it a Stickie and stop the slacks vs chinos back and forth drama.

And end this endlessly entertaining banter? Never!!

For those who find the banter irritating, there is a brutally simple way to avoid it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

What do you think it should say? 

Dress Code 

During your cruise, you should dress the same way you would do ashore. Leisure wear such as shorts and t-shirts is appropriate on board and on shore excursions in a warm climate. Depending on your itinerary, we advise you to bring sweaters and jackets for chilly evenings.

Keep in mind that it could rain and that you need correct clothing for visits to religious sites. On deck, sandals with rubber soles and sneakers are ideal.

There are two recommendations for evenings and dinners:

• Smart casual:
    Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or trousers with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, trousers and shirt or poloshirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the restaurant.
  • Formal:
    Evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuits for ladies, suit, combination or dinner jackets for gentlemen.

Exactly what Princess says and note that these are recommendations not a have too!!

End of story.

20 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Dress Code 

During your cruise, you should dress the same way you would do ashore. Leisure wear such as shorts and t-shirts is appropriate on board and on shore excursions in a warm climate. Depending on your itinerary, we advise you to bring sweaters and jackets for chilly evenings.

Keep in mind that it could rain and that you need correct clothing for visits to religious sites. On deck, sandals with rubber soles and sneakers are ideal.

There are two recommendations for evenings and dinners:

• Smart casual:
    Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or trousers with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, trousers and shirt or poloshirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the restaurant.
  • Formal:
    Evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuits for ladies, suit, combination or dinner jackets for gentlemen.

Exactly what Princess says and note that these are recommendations not a have too!!

End of story.

I think that all the cruisers new to Princess should adhere to what you posted. 

• Like 1

Answering the OP's original question (rather than discussing the merits of formal nights!) our cruise from Southampton in August on Island Princess had a huge variety of dress on formal nights. Quite a few tuxedos, lots of suits, chinos and shirt/ jacket, through to those dressing as they did every other night. In truth, none of those looked particularly out of place, although the majority did dress up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Simon-t said:

Answering the OP's original question (rather than discussing the merits of formal nights!) our cruise from Southampton in August on Island Princess had a huge variety of dress on formal nights. Quite a few tuxedos, lots of suits, chinos and shirt/ jacket, through to those dressing as they did every other night. In truth, none of those looked particularly out of place, although the majority did dress up.

Sounds like a "dress as you wish" and everyone respected everyone else's choices. 

Perfectly as it should be. 

• Like 3

On 9/19/2023 at 10:59 PM, Steelers36 said:

How about here?  Should be no problem as long as you're with me.  They know me here:

image.jpeg.d017085c164f04053027ab1b2c86405c.jpeg

Forget about it, Gregg you ain’t getting in wearing a Steelers football jerseys and shots even if you’re with me you only have one chance you gotta have the patriots football jersey on. 😀 🏈

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Haha 2

On 9/12/2023 at 6:54 PM, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Was wondering if I dare reply but I’m feeling brave, so…. 😉

You asked specifically about Southampton

I was on a P & O cruise recently with majority Brits. And a full Sky Princess last month with less than half the passengers being Brits (1900). Both cruises out of Southampton.

I am a Brit and we seem to have a reputation for dressing up, but I promise not to police your attire in the MDR 😂 

These are observations. Not instructions, I promise!

formal night on P&O- majority on board British.

MANY more in Black tie/ tuxedos & long gowns than seen on Princess.

Seen P&O turn people away if you have light jeans/ shorts/ t shirt in the MDR on any night. 

Formal night on Princess-

for the men/ boys- saw minimum of trousers and a collared shirt.

some had ties, some had jackets. Some went the full hog & wore a Tux.

for the women- smart blouse & trousers or skirt, dresses of all lengths & colours.

anything from what you’d wear at a nice restaurant, to a wedding, to ballgowns not out of place on Cunard.

yes ok, I was checking out what people were wearing. I’d read on here that Brits tend to dress up more on a cruise so I wanted to compare 2 cruises I’ve been on recently. I find that sort of thing interesting which might make me weird but oh well 😊

personally I prefer the more relaxed vibe I saw on Princess. I’m in a long dress but just a smart one. Not a ballgown. Husband in a suit & tie, not a tux. 10yr old daughter in a gorgeous dress more put together & smarter than her parents for sure lol

Also personally- I don’t think formal wear should be a ‘rule’

Although If I told a fellow Brit ‘he went to the MDR in shirt & pants’ then I’ve just said he’s in his underwear. he’s definitely broken a rule 🙃😜

And I was on the same Princess cruise (fyi, I have never sailed P&O or Cunard) and thought how many were in long dresses than I’ve ever seen on a cruise. So, it’s all about perspective: I’m sure if I’d sailed P&O previously, my comments would be more in line with yours.

On 9/9/2023 at 12:31 AM, Bgwest said:

On our last sailing from Southampton (this past spring), there was a fellow who sat very near us every night in Club Class wearing a ball cap. 
Remarkably, this seemed to have no impact on the flavor or appeal of our meals. 

Perhaps it was a formal ball cap, considered appropriate where he was from.😁😉

• Haha 1