Which NCL Ship has the BEST Thermal Suite and Why?

blueslily

Hello All,

I'm looking at booking another cruise. I enjoy a good Thermal suite that has great pools and bright views in the relaxation area. I'm wondering, based on your experiences, which ship do you think has the best Thermal Area.

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

I LOVED the one on the Encore. It has the massive therapy pool that are similar on the other breakaway/Plus ships, the one with a massaging waterfall spout right in the middle of it. The encore also had a cold snow room which I loved going into as I moved between it and the sauna. There isnt one on the getaway though.

The thermal spas on the the viva and prima looked much smaller to me, at least in video. I haven't had the opportunity to see them in person. The pool area seemed really narrow and claustrophobic. Can anyone share what they think of the newer spas?

I also heard they are remodeling the JOY to finally include a thermal spa in it after retrofitting it from the asian market. Anyone heard anything about that as well?

Edited by QuanK585
typo

4 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I love the spa on the Epic. It all the way aft with an outdoor balcony area. Great views and fresh air.

I agree, the Epic has the best spa that is still cosy. I've done the Escape last year and the spa is just too big, too many people. It's not cosy anymore, it's just another overcrowded place.

We are big thermal suite and spa users/lovers. We book cabins specifically to have all access to the thermal suite/spa on our cruise.  We might spend the entire day in the thermal suite.  I enjoy a morning circuit of the salt room, sauna, thermal pool, and will repeat this several times a day.  

I have enjoyed the thermal suite and spa on the Escape and the Prima. We loved both. There are pros and cons to each of them.  

The Escape is a big, open space and it is easy to get into each of the rooms -- salt room, sauna. I love the sauna because I can sit and watch the ocean/scenery as I sweat out toxins.  They always have hot tea available along with oranges, and cold water that is infused with oranges. On each side they have the loungers set up in 3 rows. If you aren't in the front row, then you don't have the best view, which is not normally an issue, except on port days when they issue day passes, then it gets crowded.  If you sit in a lounger at the front of the ship, then the heated loungers are in front of you, but they are spaced out enough that it doesn't interrupt my view.  I'm not a fan of the heated loungers because I can't sit up and read. When there are lots of people in the pool it can get loud. The women's and men's changing areas are a nice size and they have large windows looking out over the ocean, and some of the best views in my opinion.

Prima thermal suite has all the suites/rooms set up inside a dark hallway.  I get a bit claustrophobic sitting in those rooms, and I found myself in the heated pools more often because it is a big open space with a high ceiling. The Prima has a salt pool and it is heaven (in my opinion).  The actual thermal spa area to lounge is in a room separated from the pools and it is at the front of the ship. Luxurious was my first impression.  The loungers are extremely comfortable and there is lots of places to lounge, despite the space appearing so small. They have heated loungers with a high back and I really enjoyed those. The table with oranges, tea and water were taken away on our cruise, and I think it was because it wasn't long after COVID restriction were lifted and they might have wanted to be cautious.  Maybe someone who has been on the Prima recently can update if they keep the table with water, tea, etc still out.The lounging area is very quiet.  I love it...except the fitness center is just above the lounging area and when people are using the treadmills you can hear the "thump, thump, thump" and in one corner the hanging ceiling tiles vibrate. VERY annoying and we would have to move to the other side of the lounging area to get away from the noise.  I hear the Viva has the same set up and they haven't fixed this thumping and vibrating ceiling tiles. The women's and men's changing areas are very small, too small in my opinion and are, again, down a dark hallway and you can't see outside inside the changing room.  

If I were to choose which one I prefer, it is the Escape because it is a big, open space. I really enjoy being able to watch the ocean and sky from the sauna and the salt room, which I can't do in the dark thermal suite area of the Prima.  I get a bit sea sick in the salt pool when the water is rough because I can't see outside.  

I don't have very good pics of the entire thermal suite area on each ship, otherwise I'd share.  Maybe another person has some good pics.

I hope this is helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MiniJeffrey said:

I agree, the Epic has the best spa that is still cosy. I've done the Escape last year and the spa is just too big, too many people. It's not cosy anymore, it's just another overcrowded place.

Thanks for this info about the Epic thermal suite. We are sailing on the Epic next year, and I'm excited to use its thermal suite.  Agree, the Escape thermal suite can get loud, but we found this mostly on the port days when day passes are offered and the thermal suite fills up. We have learned to avoid the thermal suite on port days for a few hours after people return from excursions. but by evening time, it thins out with everyone going to dinner. We eat dinner late, so we can have the entire thermal suite to ourselves from 5-8 pm. I will even go back after dinner  and it is empty!

I have been in the Thermal Spa on the Getaway, Pearl, Escape, Bliss, Encore and Prima. The one on the Escape was by far the loudest. My favorite was the Bliss. Really want to try the Epic if I can ever find an itinerary that works with my schedule. 

On 9/9/2023 at 7:06 AM, blueslily said:

I'm looking at booking another cruise. I enjoy a good Thermal suite that has great pools and bright views in the relaxation area. I'm wondering, based on your experiences, which ship do you think has the best Thermal Area.

The "best" thermal suite is on the Epic.

It has an aft facing outdoors balcony for relaxing

It has saunas and steam rooms in the locker rooms (clothing optional) and saunas and steam rooms in the coed areas

It has a separate relaxation area

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 9/10/2023 at 8:00 AM, CAKEisgood said:

We are big thermal suite and spa users/lovers. We book cabins specifically to have all access to the thermal suite/spa on our cruise.  We might spend the entire day in the thermal suite.  I enjoy a morning circuit of the salt room, sauna, thermal pool, and will repeat this several times a day.  

I have enjoyed the thermal suite and spa on the Escape and the Prima. We loved both. There are pros and cons to each of them.  

The Escape is a big, open space and it is easy to get into each of the rooms -- salt room, sauna. I love the sauna because I can sit and watch the ocean/scenery as I sweat out toxins.  They always have hot tea available along with oranges, and cold water that is infused with oranges. On each side they have the loungers set up in 3 rows. If you aren't in the front row, then you don't have the best view, which is not normally an issue, except on port days when they issue day passes, then it gets crowded.  If you sit in a lounger at the front of the ship, then the heated loungers are in front of you, but they are spaced out enough that it doesn't interrupt my view.  I'm not a fan of the heated loungers because I can't sit up and read. When there are lots of people in the pool it can get loud. The women's and men's changing areas are a nice size and they have large windows looking out over the ocean, and some of the best views in my opinion.

Prima thermal suite has all the suites/rooms set up inside a dark hallway.  I get a bit claustrophobic sitting in those rooms, and I found myself in the heated pools more often because it is a big open space with a high ceiling. The Prima has a salt pool and it is heaven (in my opinion).  The actual thermal spa area to lounge is in a room separated from the pools and it is at the front of the ship. Luxurious was my first impression.  The loungers are extremely comfortable and there is lots of places to lounge, despite the space appearing so small. They have heated loungers with a high back and I really enjoyed those. The table with oranges, tea and water were taken away on our cruise, and I think it was because it wasn't long after COVID restriction were lifted and they might have wanted to be cautious.  Maybe someone who has been on the Prima recently can update if they keep the table with water, tea, etc still out.The lounging area is very quiet.  I love it...except the fitness center is just above the lounging area and when people are using the treadmills you can hear the "thump, thump, thump" and in one corner the hanging ceiling tiles vibrate. VERY annoying and we would have to move to the other side of the lounging area to get away from the noise.  I hear the Viva has the same set up and they haven't fixed this thumping and vibrating ceiling tiles. The women's and men's changing areas are very small, too small in my opinion and are, again, down a dark hallway and you can't see outside inside the changing room.  

If I were to choose which one I prefer, it is the Escape because it is a big, open space. I really enjoy being able to watch the ocean and sky from the sauna and the salt room, which I can't do in the dark thermal suite area of the Prima.  I get a bit sea sick in the salt pool when the water is rough because I can't see outside.  

I don't have very good pics of the entire thermal suite area on each ship, otherwise I'd share.  Maybe another person has some good pics.

I hope this is helpful.

This is such a thorough reply. Thank you so much. I can tell that these areas matter to you a lot. I have seen video of the Thermal suite on the Prima. It looked tiny and dark. Your description is very helpful. I like big open spaces as well. Thanks

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 4:20 AM, QuanK585 said:

I LOVED the one on the Encore. It has the massive therapy pool that are similar on the other breakaway/Plus ships, the one with a massaging waterfall spout right in the middle of it. The encore also had a cold snow room which I loved going into as I moved between it and the sauna. There isnt one on the getaway though.

The thermal spas on the the viva and prima looked much smaller to me, at least in video. I haven't had the opportunity to see them in person. The pool area seemed really narrow and claustrophobic. Can anyone share what they think of the newer spas?

I also heard they are remodeling the JOY to finally include a thermal spa in it after retrofitting it from the asian market. Anyone heard anything about that as well?

Thanks. I need to look at some videos of the Encore thermal area. I sailed on the Encore, but did not use the thermal area. 

I also had the same response when I saw the videos of the Primas thermal area. I was like, where is the rest of it and why ate the pools tucked over there on the side like that. It seems congested, from the videos. 

Thanks so much for replying. 

Edited by blueslily

On 9/10/2023 at 5:21 AM, MiniJeffrey said:

Thank you. I enjoyed the thermal area on the Epic a few years ago. The outdoor section was great

Thanks!

On 9/10/2023 at 11:28 AM, debenson0723 said:

I have been in the Thermal Spa on the Getaway, Pearl, Escape, Bliss, Encore and Prima. The one on the Escape was by far the loudest. My favorite was the Bliss. Really want to try the Epic if I can ever find an itinerary that works with my schedule. 

Can you tell me about the thermal suitecon the Bliss. What makes it the best. Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I've enjoyed the thermal suite on the Epic as well. But, it was indeed a few years ago.

A couple people mentioned the Bliss. So, I need to watch some Bluss videos to see what makes it so special.

I also need to watch videos for the Escape. I read that a couple of you said it's loud. Thats not cool. But I wonder if varying my time there would be helpful.

Thanks so much everyone 

I didn’t care for the Thermal Suite on the Bliss.  There were a lot of people that were being really loud. I don’t know if it’s because it’s a big ship or if it just happened to be the people on board, but it was not relaxing at all. Also, the chlorine was so bad you could almost see it in the air when you walked into the room.  On our cruise the  Jets in the hot tub were not working either. It was very disappointing. On top of that. I got a horrible sinus infection from all the chlorine in the room.  

On 9/9/2023 at 11:49 PM, Zippeedee said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I love the spa on the Epic. It all the way aft with an outdoor balcony area. Great views and fresh air.

It was a nice set up but very un-spa-like on my cruise.  Very loud and obnoxious. People treated it like a bar and camped out all day.  It was incredibly difficult to get a day bed or ceramic lounger. 

• 2 weeks later...

Second @BirdTravels $ @A1SusieQ - Epic has a wonderful open spa, with lots of jetted or waterfalls points around it. That was not so great on mildly rolling sea as massive amounts of water sloshed out and One day of our TA they partially drained it and put it off limits. It was very light, calm atmosphere. I think for the Prima, the design team was going for  a more  serene vibe - there was no natural lighting and it is tucked to the side. The jets didn’t work from Prima’s inaugural until after it arrived in the states (staff said they’d be fixed in Miami, I didn’t track whether that was true or not) but it didn’t appear to have many. I didn’t use the Prima pools due to an skin injury that required bandaging,so didn’t really miss much there. 

What I like about Epic was the wet and dry saunas on the port side which big had clear views of the ocean. The women’s locker room also had a dry sauna with a glass wall so you could chill out watching the ocean roll by. The locker room was also l quite large. 

on the other hand Prima’s saunas were on an inside passage parallel to the pool. There were several more types that were not on Epic an the had no views other than of the other saunas. Prima’s locker rooms were exceedingly disappointing - small and cramped and no privacy as you could see into the changing area from the entrance. The only 2 pluses are you didn’t have to leave the are to use the wc and the 2 showers had amazing jets. 

we had spa balconies on both, which was convenient, esp on Prima as after sussing out the micro locker room, I just wore my robe to & from our cabin. Drawbacks aside, we bought spa passes ($350/11 days) for our upcoming Viva TA (in a suite, so further walk)

one more point - Epic had fewer loungers and heater tile beds and was best with chair hogs (like the lido - personal stuff left while owners were not in the area) , so I was rarely able to ummm chill there. I was frustrated enough to speak with the spa manager one day when there was a handful of people around and (kid you not!) every lounger was “occupied” and someone was policing up the area the next couple times I was in there. This was not an issue on Prima - plenty of seating and lounging space, however it was not a TA but port intensive.

• Like 1

This is a great thread!  I loved reading about the various thermal rooms.  I'm currently on the fence with getting the spa pass for my Epic Med cruise next month.  It is a port intensive, 11-day with only one sea day.  I have a lot of tours planned and am going to be off the ship quite a bit.  I loved using the thermals on a past non-Epic cruise.  Anyone have an opinion on if it's worth the $339?  And if so, I'd love some tips to maximize my spa time?  
@CAKEisgood- love the late dinning, early spa timing.  Do you think it also works on a port intensive trip like the Med?

On 9/24/2023 at 9:50 AM, Pookie2u said:

@CAKEisgood- love the late dinning, early spa timing.  Do you think it also works on a port intensive trip like the Med?

Yes! We are going to the Med and have balcony suite with thermal pass and so looking forward to it! Enjoy your cruise 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 2:50 PM, Pookie2u said:

This is a great thread!  I loved reading about the various thermal rooms.  I'm currently on the fence with getting the spa pass for my Epic Med cruise next month.  It is a port intensive, 11-day with only one sea day.  I have a lot of tours planned and am going to be off the ship quite a bit.  I loved using the thermals on a past non-Epic cruise.  Anyone have an opinion on if it's worth the $339?  And if so, I'd love some tips to maximize my spa time?  

The first time I got a spa pass was for a med cruise on Epic, definitely well worth it as a lot of the excursions involve quite a bit of walking or long bus rides so the jets and the waterfall in the main thermal pool were great therapy for sore muscles and feet. I was only on a 7 day cruise and we did have 1 sea day due to covid testing for Spain back in 2021. 

• Like 1