Which NCL Ship has the BEST Thermal Suite and Why?

blueslily

I know this may not be the best post to say this in, but it is related and is something us all thermal users have experienced, but...

PLEASE DO NOT HOG THE HEATED LOUNGERS WITH YOUR TOWELS!

This is one of the most infuriating thing I have seen on a cruise. Every time I went to the spa I see a majority of the heated stone loungers claimed with towels but unused. It just takes up valuable relaxation time for everyone else, especially when there aren't that many of them. I know that everyone can use them, when they want them, if 50-80% aren't claimed by towels.

YOU PEOPLE KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

On 9/24/2023 at 9:50 AM, Pookie2u said:

This is a great thread!  I loved reading about the various thermal rooms.  I'm currently on the fence with getting the spa pass for my Epic Med cruise next month.  It is a port intensive, 11-day with only one sea day.  I have a lot of tours planned and am going to be off the ship quite a bit.  I loved using the thermals on a past non-Epic cruise.  Anyone have an opinion on if it's worth the $339?  And if so, I'd love some tips to maximize my spa time?  
@CAKEisgood- love the late dinning, early spa timing.  Do you think it also works on a port intensive trip like the Med?

I don’t think I would buy the pass on a port intensive cruise, unless you plan to forgo evening entertainment. The TA on Epic was great for using the spa except the times the water was sloshing out and they shut down the pool area. However as mentioned it was a great spa. However on the port intensive Prima there wasn’t a lot of time to really relax, so my per usage cost was fairly high.

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 1

All the Thermal pools are nice, but my favorite is the Pearl. Besides the co-ed space in the middle, there are separate male and female areas with a hot tub, cold plunge pool, steam room, and sauna (over the flying bridge so you can see along the side of the ship). The spa is not as big as the other ships, but you are away from the loud, crowded pools.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 9:33 AM, QuanK585 said:

I know this may not be the best post to say this in, but it is related and is something us all thermal users have experienced, but...

This is one of the most infuriating thing I have seen on a cruise. Every time I went to the spa I see a majority of the heated stone loungers claimed with towels but unused. It just takes up valuable relaxation time for everyone else, especially when there aren't that many of them. I know that everyone can use them, when they want them, if 50-80% aren't claimed by towels.

I get in the lovely pool. Watch the lounger for 15 minutes, then those towels are pushed off and I settle my fat self on the lounger. I've never had anyone confront me. They know they're in the wrong. Plus, did I mention I'm fat? I can just sit on them if they don't like it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/2/2023 at 9:33 AM, QuanK585 said:

Spot on!  Never ceases to amaze how inconsiderate some people are for "holding" their heated loungers!  If you are going to use one, then use it right then when you plop down your stash of towels.  Otherwise, when coming out of a pool area, if one is not available, then wait your turn.  

Without a doubt Epic.  Although I have not sailed Prima or Viva but have seen photos.  The Epic is still the largest spa at sea (I believe).  Largest thermal pools and an actual aft outdoor area that no other NCL ship has.   But it does not stop there.  Epic still has the best and largest gym at sea too.  It also has the best Spic H20 too.  I could go on and on.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 4:28 PM, 80sGal said:

No one has mentioned Breakaway.  Going on it April '24.  Was planning to do that instead of Vibe.   Any suggestions or comments about that option? 

I’d like to know also on the Breakaway. And does it get very crowded? We’re looking for very relaxing down time. 

Our opinion:  Bliss and Encore are really nice,  loved the sauna on the GEM rest of spa is OK.  I would be tempted to book another cruise on the GEM just for the sauna(panoramic views). 🙂  I would never pay for pass on Spirit.  It's advertised as a thermal spa but really isn't.  No therapy pool, steam room, etc.  asked for and received refund when we got onboard.

Edited by davencl
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BornPisces said:

I’d like to know also on the Breakaway. And does it get very crowded? We’re looking for very relaxing down time. 

I sailed the Breakaway several years ago and enjoyed the spa. Thermal rooms face outward to the area with all the heated loungers which were at the front of the ship with nice views. The pool was small but the area was open. I think its worth the spa pass on this ship. 

I'm sailing the Viva in July '24 and debating the spa pass since its a heavy port itinerary. Still...I love thermal suites. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/22/2023 at 3:46 PM, david_sobe said:

Without a doubt Epic.  Although I have not sailed Prima or Viva but have seen photos.  The Epic is still the largest spa at sea (I believe).  Largest thermal pools and an actual aft outdoor area that no other NCL ship has.   But it does not stop there.  Epic still has the best and largest gym at sea too.  It also has the best Spic H20 too.  I could go on and on.

I agree with those points - spot on! 

unfortunately the Epic cabin fail to make muster…. And they fail in a big way 

On 10/23/2023 at 10:10 PM, sarahbeth476 said:

I sailed the Breakaway several years ago and enjoyed the spa. Thermal rooms face outward to the area with all the heated loungers which were at the front of the ship with nice views. The pool was small but the area was open. I think its worth the spa pass on this ship. 

I'm sailing the Viva in July '24 and debating the spa pass since its a heavy port itinerary. Still...I love thermal suites. 

I will be on Viva next month … with Spa Pass. We really enjoyed the Spa area on Prima despite some drawbacks (dinky changing room, jets not working in the spa pool (incl lies from staff as they denied there were jets to begin with 🤔) ) and that was a port-heavy itinerary. We’re on the Viva TA, so 5 sea days to enjoy the spa in-depth.

I’ll try to remember to report back after the cruise … or you can look for my “almost live” report.

On 9/10/2023 at 4:20 AM, QuanK585 said:

The thermal spas on the the viva and prima looked much smaller to me, at least in video. I haven't had the opportunity to see them in person. The pool area seemed really narrow and claustrophobic. Can anyone share what they think of the newer spas?

I also loved the Encore.  I am not a fan of the Prima Thermal Spa.  I agree with you that it is narrow, claustrophobic, and the jets have the intensity of a 5-year-old blowing bubbles.

• Thanks 1

I am going to bandwagon and give two thumbs up for the Epic.  It's a really nice space.  I'll be giving the Breakaway a whirl next week, but here's my rankings so far:

EPIC

Pearl

Jewel

Getaway

Bliss 

SUN (OMG - It's the first time I wanted my money back - the whole time I was thinking people pay for this?!?)

• Thanks 1

The thermal suite (on Encore at least) needs a better place for those in the pool to set their towels.  Some would hang them off the ledge but there was limited space, so piling them up on loungers was the only option really.  MOST people put them onto the padded ones, but some people would put them onto the stone ones if those were open and the blue weren't.  

If no one was near the lounger, I just moved them and used it. No one ever said anything to me.  

There were also people who got up and left the spa, but didn't clear their lounger. I assumed they were too lazy to put their towel away, not hogging, as they never seemed to actually come back anyway.

The spa was incredibly relaxed and civilized, unlike the pool deck. I never felt like moving a towel would cause confrontation, and I would never do that on a pool deck.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2023 at 9:46 PM, david_sobe said:

Without a doubt Epic. 

It also has the best Spic H20 too.  

This is so true. :classic_biggrin:

To avoid going off topic; Epic's spa is impressive, especially if you count in her age! But if you really are into spa's, warm outdoor pools, swim up bars, cold plunges, scrubs, mists and such, visit one of the thermal pools in Reykjavik, Iceland. The new Sky Lagoon is less known but as good as the well known Blue Lagoon which can be quite crowded. Don't miss a thermal pool when your cruise docks in Iceland!

On 10/23/2023 at 10:10 PM, sarahbeth476 said:

I'm sailing the Viva in July '24 and debating the spa pass since its a heavy port itinerary.

Just off the Epic, port intensive Med trip, 11 days with only one sea day.  This thread helped me to decide I still needed the thermal pass with everyone speaking highly of Epic's spa.  I used the heck out of it daily, even while still in a port.  The thermals helped me recoup from long walking tours on cobblestones and be ready bright and early for the next day's port.  

In the end, it really depends on how you will use it but while other people were in shows, I was living it up in the spa.  I am a spa lady and will always purchase and never second guess it again 😄 , Thermal suites are forever included in my cruise budget.

Also, down with the heated lounger hogs.  There are hooks on the wall use them for your towels/robes, please.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 9:50 AM, Pookie2u said:

This is a great thread!  I loved reading about the various thermal rooms.  I'm currently on the fence with getting the spa pass for my Epic Med cruise next month.  It is a port intensive, 11-day with only one sea day.  I have a lot of tours planned and am going to be off the ship quite a bit.  I loved using the thermals on a past non-Epic cruise.  Anyone have an opinion on if it's worth the $339?  And if so, I'd love some tips to maximize my spa time?  
@CAKEisgood- love the late dinning, early spa timing.  Do you think it also works on a port intensive trip like the Med?

Do it!

I was on an 11-day Med cruise this summer, on the Breakaway with tours at every port. Most days I was back no later than 3 PM with plenty of time for the thermal suite. I'd have my bag ready to head there directly after returning from an exhausting touring day. 

I developed a routine of using the salt room, sauna, then shower that is outside the sauna, then the bubbly pool (using the jets on my sore legs and feet). Then head off to read or nap on a lounger.  I found the heated lounger uncomfortable no matter how many towels I stuffed under me. So I prefer the padded lounger, with extra towels over me. I'd set my phone alarm in case I feel asleep, which was often!  Then I'd shower and dry my hair in the locker room and be almost ready for dinner.

I did this while my husband napped in our cabin. I only used the shower in our cabin 3 times since I mostly used the one in the thermal suite! Then I didn't have to worry about waking him up from his nap with the hair dryer. 

On 10/23/2023 at 12:13 PM, BornPisces said:

My only experience was on the Breakaway. I think the only thing it's lacking from the larger ships is the cold/snow room. I never found it very crowded.  Here are some pics of it, and some taken from the lounger!  BTW, it's located in the very bow, over the bridge, so the views are amazing! 

8 - 9 pm Santorini. Many people where still on the island, or waiting for the cable car, so the spa was very empty. 

20230707_201817.jpg

20230707_201940.jpg

20230707_201943.jpg

20230707_202024.jpg

20230707_205435.jpg

20230707_212057.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2023 at 12:13 PM, BornPisces said:

This was the busiest I found it. It was at 4:30 PM Mykonos, Greece. The last pic is from the locker room area of the ladies suite. 

20230709_163659_1.jpg

20230709_163707_1.jpg

20230709_163813.jpg

• Thanks 1

I was able to book my Thermal Suite Pass 2 days ago for our 1-26-24 cruise,  My sister tried to book it but it wouldn't take her payment.  She called NCL and was told it would not be available to book until 1-8-24!  Has anyone had trouble booking 80 days out?

I have been in SPA rooms on five of NCL ships.  Love the thermal suite.  In order of preference:

Epic

Getaway

Encore

Bliss

Prima 

Epic had a great spa and loved the outside area.   Sometime you don’t feel the connection to the water inside the sealed Glass thermal suite.  The outside balcony was one of the most popular areas. 

Bliss on my Alaska cruise in September.   Nice and comparable to the other Thermal suites, but the staff was rude.  Walking around telling people they are not permitted to talk in the thermal pools and hot tubs.  A little stupid.  No one was loud and it became obnoxious.   Plenty of areas away from the pools and the water noise was the loudest in the room.  

Prima.  Looked great, but that’s it.  As others have said, the thermal rooms in a dark hallway off to side.  Some design genius put slippery tiles down the hall so the staff would line the hallway with wet towels to prevent the multiple slips and falls.  The worst part was the thermal pools.  Basically just a warm pool of water.   I was told on the Bliss, by one of the spa staff who worked on Prima for 9 months, the lack of jets was an oversight in construction. They never worked and won’t work until the ship goes in for overhaul.  The “waterfall” is water rolling down a stained plastic rippled wall - you don’t interact with it.  If you have your valuables (cloths, phone, etc) in the relaxation area, there is no chance of seeing them - area is completely separated from thermal pools.  There are a handful of chairs in the pool area, so you have to walk back to the lounge area.   Form over function in my opinion.  I hope they fix the design issues in the Viva and Aqua.   I don’t know if I would do the thermal suite on Prima again.  Experience is difference.   Just my opinion.  And yes, I liked the Prima ship design overall, just not the thermal suite.  

I have been on Celebrity, Royal and Princess - none come close to the thermal suite experience on NCL.   You can’t go wrong with the “away” class ships (except joy which has not thermal suite).

enjoy