Meeting with CEO Hagen and Team

rbslos18

1 hour ago, longterm said:

We've got an Indonesia>Australia>NZ cruise on our list; could you share why you didn't like the cruise that you did, and which it was?

I wrote two posts, although the second one is more specifically about the excursions:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2922947-first-viking-ocean-cruise-review-was-it-worth-the-money/#comment-65000491

To be clear, we did have a good time and have booked another Viking cruise.

However, my greatest wish would be far greater transparency in all excursion details. In retrospect, I should have studied anywhere I could for any details for these Viking excursions that I could before going, but even then the language is often vague. I made the mistake of just assuming the included tours would be more like our excellent river cruise which was almost entirely walking tours. For our upcoming cruise, I’m also going to research a “back up” do it ourself walking tour if needed in each port (with a lot of help from Rick Steves).

As a ye little whipper snapper on a Viking cruise (age 44 now), my second wish would be the aforementioned more active walking tours as an included option. I appreciate the knowledge and history provided by a guide, so going 100% on our own all the time isn’t my ideal, either. My ideal port day would be a 2-3 hour walking tour in the morning that ends with a clear method for those who wish to return to the ship on their own (and I feel Viking *is* good at that) so that we can then see more on our own.

Edited by amtatom
  • Like 1

1. Allow customers to pay in full for their cruise closer to the sail date. See other cruise lines for inspiration.  

2. Mix up itineraries, regularly add new destinations. Keep it interesting.

Those are the top 2 reasons I’ve heard for customers — current and potential — to book elsewhere. 

• Like 8

What I would like to know is, why aren't most of the Viking promotions offered to Canadians?  We have done quite a few cruises both Ocean and River and there are always a number of Canadians on board.  I don't personally think that this is fair and would like to hear the reason why it is offered to Americans only. This hasn't discouraged us from booking with Viking as we have really enjoyed our trips.

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

This! 

I love the Mediterranean, but there are so many more ports available in that area than the ones Viking has done for years. The very quick SOLD OUT on all sailings of the new Malta, Morrocco, and the Mediterranean itinerary supports Viking's customers desires in this regard.

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, duquephart said:

Adding on tips (which aren't really tips in the first place) is not "sort of" tacky.

It is tacky when Viking is generally accurate that the fares are all inclusive and are indeed all inclusive.... except for gratituities. Though I don't think Aussies pay gratuities but I could be wrong.

Edited by Mike07

11 hours ago, Twitchly said:

1. Allow customers to pay in full for their cruise closer to the sail date. See other cruise lines for inspiration.  

Those are the top 2 reasons I’ve heard for customers — current and potential — to book elsewhere. 

I agree with point two as we are running out of destinations in Europe

(19th cruise coming up next month) and I don’t do long haul anymore). 

I started a thread that asked where you would like to sail and many CC members came up with ideas, some of which were suitable for me.  With more ships I am keeping fingers crossed that new ones may be ‘in the pipeline’. Here’s hoping.

In UK our final payment is much closer to sailing than  yours in the  US.  I think ours is to do with the law in the UK.  

Tried to quote Boater3 from Canada, but failed, senior brain struggles with things like adding quotes.

Just wanted to say we in the UK don’t get random special offers/promotions either.  We do have the occasional SS free and early booking discounts on river cruises.  Nothing last minute.  Our prices always include Air and gratuities so totally different pricing approach.  

In addition to those already mentioned, I would like to ask TH (that's what he tells his good friends like me to call him😂) to consider allowing those who use Viking Air to fly in a day or three early without having to lay the deviation fee OR if you're going to charge the deviation to include the transfer.  

• Like 10

I love Viking Cruises.  I have taken one ocean in 2022 and have 1 ocean in 2023, 2 in 2024, and 1 river in 2025 booked.

I would like Viking to offer lower single supplements in the DV category for ocean and and for river French Balcony D.  WIth the 100% single supplement I am limited as to the number and length of cruises I can take.  I would be able to take more with a lower single supplement.

I cruised on Crystal for many years before they went bankrupt and I was able to take more and longer trips because they had a very low single supplement (10% when I started and 25 - 30% on my later cruises)

Crystal is sailing again under new ownership and I have been looking at their itineraries.

The Viking ships are beautiful, the staff provides outstanding support, the food is great, and I love having the option of a buffet for dinner especially after a long shorex excursion.

I love the no butlers policy and focus on destinations.  The shore excursions I took last year were the best and most informative I have ever taken.  The speakers were excellent.

I hope Viking will offer the option of lower single supplements so that I can take more and longer cruises.

Thank you.

• Like 5

On 9/14/2023 at 1:36 PM, Clay Clayton said:

In addition to those already mentioned, I would like to ask TH (that's what he tells his good friends like me to call him😂) to consider allowing those who use Viking Air to fly in a day or three early without having to lay the deviation fee OR if you're going to charge the deviation to include the transfer.  

I really second your comment on the deviation fee especially in the current climate with airlines cancelling and re-arranging schedules.  Regardless of our interest in the departing cruise port, we always try to come in a day or two in advance and get very annoyed about a deviation fee when we are trying to be responsible.

• Like 9

On 9/14/2023 at 8:36 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Yes that would be so helpful! Also because the pre cruise or extension many times is sold out & we are out of luck! Like our upcoming Panama & Scenic S. American next month, puts us in Santiago to disembark, the extension was already sold out since I booked in July...so we will not experience the city. I realize that is the chance you take by not booking way in advance. I can check once we are on the ship but will be highly unlikely & of course that will mess up our air & our pick up at our home airport. 

• Like 1

Get rid of the music in the lounges, or at minimum make sure on any day either explorers or atrium is music free

Also give all the bars the same drinks menu. 

But most of all, decide what you want Viking to be. It is now so far from the original that there is no USP, trying to be all things to all people won't work. You are not competitive on quality or price. Which is it to be? The outside investors may be so keen on a payback they are missing where the actual cash is coming from. Time to stop buying new ships while you sort the problems on the existing ones

7 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Get rid of the music in the lounges,

Well I, for one, would hate to see this happen.  Many enjoy music with evening cocktails.  And there are plenty of music-free venues on board.

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2023 at 7:47 AM, Traveler456 said:

I love Viking Cruises.  I have taken one ocean in 2022 and have 1 ocean in 2023, 2 in 2024, and 1 river in 2025 booked.

I would like Viking to offer lower single supplements in the DV category for ocean and and for river French Balcony D.  WIth the 100% single supplement I am limited as to the number and length of cruises I can take. 

Completely agreewith you. I cannot always find somebody to travel with me, and I've been forced to pay 50 or 75% solo tax on the cruise. While I understand why Viking (and their competitors) do it, it's also unfortunate for those of us willing to travel solo when an itinerary interests us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Get rid of the music in the lounges, or at minimum make sure on any day either explorers or atrium is music free

Also give all the bars the same drinks menu. 

But most of all, decide what you want Viking to be. It is now so far from the original that there is no USP, trying to be all things to all people won't work. You are not competitive on quality or price. Which is it to be? The outside investors may be so keen on a payback they are missing where the actual cash is coming from. Time to stop buying new ships while you sort the problems on the existing ones

Fully agree,  I am totally fed up with piped in music EVERYWHERE!   You can't escape it.  Live performances are different.  Kill the piped in terrible music. 

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Fully agree,  I am totally fed up with piped in music EVERYWHERE!   You can't escape it.  Live performances are different.  Kill the piped in terrible music. 

Yes, this I agree with.  No need for piped in music.  But the live music is often wonderful!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, this I agree with.  No need for piped in music.  But the live music is often wonderful!

Yes, except when it is way too loud.  Never understood why performers turn the volume up so much you can't have a conversation.  We had that in the Explorers Lounge a couple times.  It was awful.  Then the last cruise, we had this wonderful guitar player/singer who did not succumb to that now common urge to crank up the volume.  It was the perfect accompaniment to a wonderful evening there with friends.  We could hear the music/singer AND hear ourselves talk.

• Like 5

On 9/13/2023 at 6:56 AM, LindaS272 said:

1.) Give better customer service at the LA office.

2.) Adopt the policy that “the customer is always right.”

3. Ditch the out-sourced Viking Air call center & bring it back to the main office with experienced personnel. 

Even if he is totally and completely and obviously and annoyingly wrong??

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Even if he is totally and completely and obviously and annoyingly wrong??

DON

Well, you don’t get the sarcasm in my comment. Point being, according to comments on CC (and in our own experience), Viking doesn’t always treat the customer with respect. Respect would be an improvement.

With retailers I have known who do seem to have a policy of appeasing the customer, they will bend over backwards to make things right. They get loyal customers that way.

Not since the days of Sitmar & Royal Viking Line have I felt such love for a cruise line. Mr. Hagen, it's as if you saw my personal wish list for a cruise line then went to work. I thank you! Having said that, here is my list of "needs improvement".

1) Cap your solo supplement at 25%. The current rates are excessive & discriminatory. Shame on you!

2) Focus on maintaining high standards in your hotel operations department. As your fleet has rapidly expanded, I feel that standards are slipping in terms of dining, service, & crew interaction. My Neptune trans-Atlantic was case  & point with a general lack of attention to detail. 

3) A few of your Eastern European bar/lounge servers come across as taciturn & unwelcoming. I respect that there are cultural differences, but this is in stark contrast to to the clearly warm approach from your Asian crew.

4) Music - Lower the decibel of live music, be it production shows or the guitarist. Last cruise I stopped going to Explorers Lounge because the volume was obtrusive, making conversations impossible. Lounge music should be background, not stadium arena main event. Limit the piped music. The Classic Duo playing several sets a night in The Living Room is overkill. Once a night is plenty.

5) Senior Officers should be more interactive with passengers. Aboard Neptune I got the distinct impression that Officers had the goal to get across any public room as quickly as possible. Officer interaction was perfunctory at best. Same could be said for the cruise director. 

6) Create new itineraries. Your Mediterranean & Scandinavia fixation is getting stale. Continue the seasonal trans-Atlantic crossings for those of us who live for sea days, but instead of Funchal & St. Maarten, call at say Hamilton, Tortola, & Ponta Delgada. Have an annual New York-Bermuda season. Viking & Bermuda are the perfect match. Bermuda sorely needs a regular upper premium/luxury line calling. 

7) Up your game! Canapés served in Explorers Lounge & The Living Room nightly at 5-6 pm & chocolates on the pillows at turndown.

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem
  • Like 4