We have been married 54 years but P&O says she is a different class to me!

bbtablet

My wife has been on more P&O cruises than I because she has been on a couple of extra ones with friends.

This has meant she has just gone through the barrier into Caribbean Tier, whereas I am still a mere Mediterranean Tier member.

The consequence of this is that for our forthcoming cruise check-in, she has been given 12.30pm, but apparently I must stand outside, probably in the Southampton rain, until a quarter to three!

Has anyone experience of this situation and, if so, how was it resolved?

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

My wife has been on more P&O cruises than I because she has been on a couple of extra ones with friends.

This has meant she has just gone through the barrier into Caribbean Tier, whereas I am still a mere Mediterranean Tier member.

The consequence of this is that for our forthcoming cruise check-in, she has been given 12.30pm, but apparently I must stand outside, probably in the Southampton rain, until a quarter to three!

That’s wrong. A cabin boards together. If she is Caribbean then you can join her at 12.30. P&O don’t board separate members of cabins separately.

Where you may come unstuck is the embarkation lunch which technically you don’t qualify for. I suggest that you both attend with your wife checking in, and play ignorant of not qualifying. Whether you have luck depends upon how busy it is.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

That’s wrong. A cabin boards together. If she is Caribbean then you can join her at 12.30. P&O don’t board separate members of cabins separately.

Where you may come unstuck is the embarkation lunch which technically you don’t qualify for. I suggest that you both attend with your wife checking in, and play ignorant of not qualifying. Whether you have luck depends upon how busy it is.

Also, depending on the ship you both should get an invite to the Caribbean lunch.

1 hour ago, bbtablet said:

My parents had this exact same situation. My Mum has done more cruises than my Dad and moved up a tier before him, so she was also given a different boarding time but P&O told them that they could board together. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 6

Surely if you are going through together as a couple only one of you need to show your boarding pass with the time on it. I have only ever shown mine and we both have walked through. We are both the same tier so they both would be the same but they could have been different. 

What if someone had kids with them and the parents or Grandparents were Caribbean and the kids weren't, no way would they expect you to leave the kids behibd

Edited by Jazzytelly

15 hours ago, Jazzytelly said:

Surely if you are going through together as a couple only one of you need to show your boarding pass with the time on it. I have only ever shown mine and we both have walked through. We are both the same tier so they both would be the same but they could have been different. 

What if someone had kids with them and the parents or Grandparents were Caribbean and the kids weren't, no way would they expect you to leave the kids behibd

All cabin occupants board at the same time.

Under 18s board at the same time as their parents/guardians.

if you have two different cabins, with different times - even if linked, you’re supposed to board at your stated times.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dobbers said:

Check in has just opened for our cruise, my boarding time is 12.30 and husband has 15.00 🤣🤣

Will just show my pass and go through together. Does seem really silly that this happens

It kind of makes sense though

If your husband cruised without you he would just board as normal. So he won't be tagged as someone who has earnt this reward on the system himself yet

You are the one who's earnt the early boarding

Bonus for him is you invite him to join you

Very kind of you to do so as well!

Lol

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It kind of makes sense though

If your husband cruised without you he would just board as normal. So he won't be tagged as someone who has earnt this reward on the system himself yet

You are the one who's earnt the early boarding

Bonus for him is you invite him to join you

Very kind of you to do so as well!

Lol

It does make sense that the higher loyalty tiers come first, but it is typical of P&Os IT not to recognise the other passenger(s) linked under the same booking reference/cabin.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

I have now received a reply email from P&O:

"When two guests are travelling within the same cabin – they will allow the lower tier guest to check in together with the Caribbean/Baltic/Ligurian member at the earlier time, in line with their Peninsular Club benefit."

The only other thing we are now not sure about is that some on here have referred to a special welcome on-board lunch-time meal for these Priority Boarding guests (some say in the buffet - others say in the MDR) but we don't know how to access it and have no information. We shall be boarding Aurora.

Any clues?

Edited by bbtablet
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

It does make sense that the higher loyalty tiers come first, but it is typical of P&Os IT not to recognise the other passenger(s) linked under the same booking reference/cabin.

Probably true, but best not to let the IT people try to fix it, otherwise poor Dobbers might find it puts them both in her husbands category.😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, bbtablet said:

"When two guests are travelling within the same cabin – they will allow the lower tier guest to check in together with the Caribbean/Baltic/Ligurian member at the earlier time, in line with their Peninsular Club benefit."

The only other thing we are now not sure about is that some on here have referred to a special welcome on-board lunch-time meal for these Priority Boarding guests (some say in the buffet - others say in the MDR) but we don't know how to access it and have no information. Any clues?

The Welcome Onboard lunch is usually in the MDR for priority/suite passengers. The buffet will be open to provide lunch for all the other passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dobbers said:

Check in has just opened for our cruise, my boarding time is 12.30 and husband has 15.00 🤣🤣

Will just show my pass and go through together. Does seem really silly that this happens

You could both board at 15.00.🤫

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bbtablet said:

Thanks, Carla - do we just turn up at the MDR and show out Boarding Pass?

Is there not an invitation issued - how are we to know about it if not?

From memory I think we were given an invitation card at check in when we first became Caribbean, so you may get one, otherwise just ask one of the crew which dining room has the Peninsular lunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bbtablet said:

Thanks, Carla - do we just turn up at the MDR and show out Boarding Pass?

Is there not an invitation issued - how are we to know about it if not?

As you board you will be met by a member of staff. They are there to direct you to your muster station and the buffet or priority lunch. Just inform them that you are Caribbean (it will be on your boarding pass) making sure the Caribbean member goes first. And “Bob’s your Uncle”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bbtablet said:

The only other thing we are now not sure about is that some on here have referred to a special welcome on-board lunch-time meal for these Priority Boarding guests (some say in the buffet - others say in the MDR) but we don't know how to access it and have no information. We shall be boarding Aurora.

Any clues?

In April we were given invitation cards at check in with the time and venue on it, these were checked at the venue, Previously before covid we were met by a crew member on boarding who told us where the lunch was, I think it was assumed then that anyone boarding early was Caribbean or above so eligible for the lunch.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

In the old days scoundrel men would look to find a wealthy widow they could marry

Nowadays they are just looking for someone who's earnt priority boarding and Captains Welcome lunch on P &  O!!

I'll pass on the Captains lunch, but thanks for asking🤣