Tipping on Excursions

david63

Not all cultures are tipping cultures. In some places it is considered an insult, in others it is bad luck. Rarely will it be refused (manners, etc) but local customs should be respected. It can feel awkward for those of us who see it as a reward for a job well done but isn’t part of the reason we travels is to learn about these differences? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Not all cultures are tipping cultures. In some places it is considered an insult, in others it is bad luck. Rarely will it be refused (manners, etc) but local customs should be respected. It can feel awkward for those of us who see it as a reward for a job well done but isn’t part of the reason we travels is to learn about these differences? 

I am seriously interested in knowing in which countries tipping is considered an insult. I was told Japan is one, where else?

31 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I am seriously interested in knowing in which countries tipping is considered an insult. I was told Japan is one, where else?

I understand that in Fiji it suggests an obligation. And until recently I believe that in Australia it was considered insulting. 

The link above is very helpful. 

44 minutes ago, david63 said:

Irrespective of culture, local customs or expectations I suspect that in any country all those working in the tourist industry these days, especially those where cruises are involved, will accept tips without hesitation.

We were on a kayaking excursion in Helsinki a few days ago. Several guests tried to tip the two ladies running the operation at the end. Both politely, but very firmly refused and did not accept the notes offered. "This is our job".

• Like 3

8 hours ago, david63 said:

Irrespective of culture, local customs or expectations I suspect that in any country all those working in the tourist industry these days, especially those where cruises are involved, will accept tips without hesitation.

More's the pity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, david63 said:

That may be the case but it doesn't mean the rest of that countries citizens are happy with it. rather than tipping a lot we put that money into kiva and support the ordinary folk who live in those poorer countries we visit and enjoy. Exceptional service still gets rewarded.

https://www.kiva.org/

• Like 3

I tip guides on most excursions, but not all.  For me, it depends on the level of service given by the guide -- both in quantity and quality.  The nature of some tours means the guide doesn't do much, such as  where the guide / bus takes you to a day on your own or to a boat tour, etc.  I don't feel obligated to tip in those situations.  There is also quality -- everything from an exceptional guide to the downright awful. I'll eagerly reward a great guide because s/he can absolutely make a port come to life.

The above said, we usually tip the guide $5pp for a half-day tour and $10 for a full-day.  If I have local currency, I'll use it.  However, I'm not going to change money solely to tip a guide in local currency.  If I don't have local currency, I'll use US dollars.  I apologize for not having local currency -- never, ever had a response other than a smile.  I figure that English speaking guides deal with a lot of Americans and thus can accumulate their dollars and then change them.  It's not perfect, but better than giving them nothing.

As an aside, we always tip the bus driver -- more if the driving was arduous or long.

I also agree that private guides should include the tip in their price.  We used a private guide for a 2-day tour in Israel about a decade ago.  It was a fabulous tour with a price to match.  I gave a negligible tip.  My view is that private guides set their own prices and get 100% of the price of the tour; they should set their prices such that they aren't relying on tips to "earn a living."  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ggo85 said:

My view is that private guides set their own prices and get 100% of the price of the tour; they should set their prices such that they aren't relying on tips to "earn a living."

The same should be true in countries where employees are paid a proper living wage. Why do you feel that it is necessary to subsidize a living wage. 

• Like 2

I don’t know what tour guides who work for companies get paid in the U.S., let alone other countries. Thus, I choose to tip.  Not saying everyone needs to do it.  

As for my comment re private guides, I was referring to those who work alone / for themselves. 

In the end, we will never know the intricacies of every guide’s financial arrangement or situation. We make our choices based on our culture and personal preferences.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ggo85 said:

In the end, we will never know the intricacies of every guide’s financial arrangement or situation. We make our choices based on our culture and personal preferences.  

Interesting. How do you feel about Australians, for example, coming to the US and NOT tipping in restaurants or in other situations where Americans always tip because of their culture and personal preferences? 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Interesting. How do you feel about Australians, for example, coming to the US and NOT tipping in restaurants or in other situations where Americans always tip because of their culture and personal preferences? 

If I were a server, it would suck.  However the overwhelming majority of US workers who depend on tips to supplement their income will never see anyone from a country that doesn't tip.  Those who do probably see very few over the course of their careers.  I would hope that places that do see a lot of non-tipping customers provide better upfront compensation.  If they didn't servers would go elsewhere.

As you know, in many countries working as a server or a taxi driver is a career whereas in the US, for the most part, it's a transient and / or entry level job.  Different business model in the US.

I'm not arguing that the US model is superior.  In fact, many Americans are starting to get fed up (no pun intended) b/c EVERYONE now wants tips.  Carry out meal -- give us a 20% tip.  Go through an automatic carwash -- there's a tip jar when you pay.  Tipping 20% is now considered stingy in many places. It is getting out of hand and there may be a backlash.

The problem is that Americans have put themselves in a box. Even in situations where tips are included, Americans feel the need to tip.  So, including the tip for us only exacerbates the issue.  But I agree it is getting out of control.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that some employees see plenty of Aussies. Fortunately Aussies have usually read about the tip culture so we respect it. Of course the flip side is that Americans in general don't respect our tip culture and that has caused some to resent their presence.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 5waldos said:

I always tip when in North America because it is respectful to follow local customs and practice. I think  what can irritate some people outside North America is the apparent insistence on tipping in Europe, Asia etc because of US cultural preferences rather than following local custom not to tip in every situation.

Edited by Simon-t
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 4:25 AM, Texas Tillie said:

I think it varies enormously. Tipping in restaurants is common in the UK, but the only people who tip in pubs are US tourists. It’s not insulting at all, and I doubt any bar person will turn the tip down, but it can across as a bit brash.

Edited by Simon-t

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

I'm pretty sure that some employees see plenty of Aussies. Fortunately Aussies have usually read about the tip culture so we respect it. Of course the flip side is that Americans in general don't respect our tip culture and that has caused some to resent their presence.

It's got to the situation in Australia that there is, more often than not, a place on the bill to add a tip. Sometimes the credit card machine asks you if you'd like to add one. Thus the pressure is on to the customer. This largely comes from non-Australians not respecting our tip culture, as you say.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Simon-t said:

I always tip when in North America because it is respectful to follow local customs and practice. I think  what can irritate some people outside North America is the apparent insistence on tipping in Europe, Asia etc because of US cultural preferences rather than following local custom not to tip in every situation.

I will admit that it is hard not to automatically tip. Seems a bit like cheating somehow. But when in Rome, bite your tongue and do as the locals do. Better in the end. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simon-t said:

I think it varies enormously. Tipping in restaurants is common in the UK, but the only people who tip in pubs are US tourists. It’s not insulting at all, and I doubt any bar person will turn the tip down, but it can across as a bit brash.

It certainly isn’t common in London. A service charge is not to be confused with tipping.

8 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

It certainly isn’t common in London. A service charge is not to be confused with tipping.

Guess that depends on who profits from the "service charge". If it goes to the proprietor, why isn't the amount just included in the base price? It would then be like VAT taxes that are hidden. We Americans like the sales tax shown separately so we know how much the government has its hands in our pockets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Guess that depends on who profits from the "service charge". If it goes to the proprietor, why isn't the amount just included in the base price? It would then be like VAT taxes that are hidden. We Americans like the sales tax shown separately so we know how much the government has its hands in our pockets.

We know exactly how much - 20%.